Options

Supply chains and Work shortages

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Imagine having the ability to be able to lower gas prices and not just to maximize profits.

Everyone should friggin walk to work for the next month.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    static111 said:
    The primary reason in that article is important to note: investor pressure 

a publicly traded company has a strong obligation to maximise shareholder returns no matter what industry it’s in, as once you are doing things that doesn’t benefit shareholders you get replaced by a CEO who will. After a decade of getting hammered in the market, you cannot make the case that spending all those profits now is good for investors. If oil is projected to remain high for 5–10 years, then yes. 

when those projects go online in 5-10 years, prices will be low again probably.  Capital spending has to take into account anticipated oil prices when a project is online, not today. 

I guarantee  you if Exxon or Chevron  spent 20 billion today to drill you wouldn’t see that oil for years. 2015-2020 oil was on average in the 40 dollar range so it’s not like they were going to drill more then either as they were busy paying dividends to shareholders which they had to otherwise they leave since the returns were crap. 

If you want to blame anything, blame the low prices for 7-8 years as that’s part of why we are where we are. This problem would be way less if oil was75 a barrel that whole time as drilling and exploration budgets would have been maintained 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    static111 said:

a publicly traded company has a strong obligation to maximise shareholder returns no matter what industry it’s in, as once you are doing things that doesn’t benefit shareholders you get replaced by a CEO who will. After a decade of getting hammered in the market, you cannot make the case that spending all those profits now is good for investors. If oil is projected to remain high for 5–10 years, then yes. 

when those projects go online in 5-10 years, prices will be low again probably.  Capital spending has to take into account anticipated oil prices when a project is online, not today. 

I guarantee  you if Exxon or Chevron  spent 20 billion today to drill you wouldn’t see that oil for years. 2015-2020 oil was on average in the 40 dollar range so it’s not like they were going to drill more then either as they were busy paying dividends to shareholders which they had to otherwise they leave since the returns were crap. 

If you want to blame anything, blame the low prices for 7-8 years as that’s part of why we are where we are. This problem would be way less if oil was75 a barrel that whole time as drilling and exploration budgets would have been maintained 
    Investors are part owners of the company and if they see that the end goal of maximizing their returns is more important than financial stability to the rest of the world that speaks to me that the oil companies are the problem, or at least how they are administered.

As I stated in a previous comment, why are oil companies pulling in record profits during a time of crisis?  It seems that profits can still be made albeit at a lower rate while reliving the rest of us non stock holders that are purchasing the product that fuels the profit machine.  How many capped wells can be uncapped?  Sure that will take time but it is something.  Doing nothing and saying we have to be conservative so we can maximize shareholder profits is just blame shifting.

Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    Imagine having the ability to be able to lower gas prices and not just to maximize profits.

Ummmm....that is literally every product ;)  

But yes, I see what you are saying.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Investors are part owners of the company and if they see that the end goal of maximizing their returns is more important than financial stability to the rest of the world that speaks to me that the oil companies are the problem, or at least how they are administered.

As I stated in a previous comment, why are oil companies pulling in record profits during a time of crisis?  It seems that profits can still be made albeit at a lower rate while reliving the rest of us non stock holders that are purchasing the product that fuels the profit machine.  How many capped wells can be uncapped?  Sure that will take time but it is something.  Doing nothing and saying we have to be conservative so we can maximize shareholder profits is just blame shifting.

A time of crisis is unrelated to me

i distinctly remember discussing this in 2014 with my wife who is in oil and gas.

the takeaway was this: budgets get cut, we don’t invest, prices meet or exceeds 2014 levels in a decade. We spend more, then prices crash again and we do it all over again.

it was pretty spot on. Maybe a bit accelerated due to COVID but the fact she was sure means it’s extremely predictable 

the concept of smoothing out prices so this doesn’t happen would be possible if everyone was in OPEC. Because that’s not the case chronic over production alternating with under production happens. Based on investment, not starting and stopping wells. Wells decline in yield over time so you need more wells to even maintain past production, and even more to increase it.  When you see “production is down “  it’s usually because the well is declining and they haven’t drilled more, not that they are stopping wells to get that decrease.

If you want to know why you can’t cap and uncap wells, that’s in the stock market thread.  But generally no, you can’t just turn wells on and off 
  • Options

OPEC in the past has been willing to increase supply to help things.  This time around we got nothing from anyone, lol.
  • Options

OPEC in the past has been willing to increase supply to help things.  This time around we got nothing from anyone, lol.
    The positive side of this is that it should make a strong case for expanding renewables and green energy so we are less dependent on the whims of supplier nations and Big Oil when it comes to energy prices.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:

The positive side of this is that it should make a strong case for expanding renewables and green energy so we are less dependent on the whims of supplier nations and Big Oil when it comes to energy prices.
    So about that...  Power companies spent 3 billion dollars on land rental for renewables here on the coasts of NY/NJ.  Those companies need to see a return so don't get excited on cheaper energy in the future unless you have your own windmill.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    static111 said:

So about that...  Power companies spent 3 billion dollars on land rental for renewables here on the coasts of NY/NJ.  Those companies need to see a return so don't get excited on cheaper energy in the future unless you have your own windmill.
    and the cancer that will come with it
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111 said:

and the cancer that will come with it

static111 said:

I guess there is no winning when it comes to energy unless you are a shareholder.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    edited May 2022
    static111 said:

I agree with that.

Once prices go down, SUV sales skyrocket though. Happens every time.  American consumers are no better than oil companies in contributing to the boom and bust cycles 

No one is buying a Prius at 2.00 a gallon, at 5.00 they do (generally). 

Getting people on board with renewables regardless of energy prices should be the goal as long term it’s always up. Our house is funded by oil and gas and we use zero power from the grid so it’s not an either/or thing.  If we were some large institutional shareholder of oil and gas then it might be different, but we aren’t 

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    static111 said:

About that…

The energy companies pretty excited to move to renewables. Reduced operational costs due to reductions in plant maintenance, upkeep, and labor. Xcel Energy is moving very fast to expanded solar operations. They can get a solar field up and operational in a few months. To maintain one of their solar fields only requires a handful of people, whereas they need 100s of people working 24-7 to keep a coal-fired/gasified plant running. 

I’ve been a part of a government run committee looking at addressing the impacts of closing coal-fired plants in MN. People not familiar with renewables are quite shocked when they start discussing  the opportunities to redeploy workers into those areas, and the labor folks start laughing. Basically, if you can plug an electric cord into an outlet, operate a socket wrench, and clean off surfaces of dirt or snow, you can be a solar field tech. Also the pay is significantly less, like a lot. The energy companies aren’t moving towards renewables to save the planet, their doing it to save boatloads of money.
  • Options
    static111 said:

About that…

The energy companies pretty excited to move to renewables. Reduced operational costs due to reductions in plant maintenance, upkeep, and labor. Xcel Energy is moving very fast to expanded solar operations. They can get a solar field up and operational in a few months. To maintain one of their solar fields only requires a handful of people, whereas they need 100s of people working 24-7 to keep a coal-fired/gasified plant running. 

I’ve been a part of a government run committee looking at addressing the impacts of closing coal-fired plants in MN. People not familiar with renewables are quite shocked when they start discussing  the opportunities to redeploy workers into those areas, and the labor folks start laughing. Basically, if you can plug an electric cord into an outlet, operate a socket wrench, and clean off surfaces of dirt or snow, you can be a solar field tech. Also the pay is significantly less, like a lot. The energy companies aren’t moving towards renewables to save the planet, their doing it to save boatloads of money.
    I always like to point to California when it comes to solar and wind.  They have an abundance of it and have fucked it up every step of the way.  Ask anyone who lives out there.

I would like to see it improve and get better but like I said, even though renewables are lest costly the companies will still be looking to make maximum profits and recoup costs.

Then we as a government need to force these renewables like batteries, solar panels, to be recyclable.  I get angry when I start thinking about it, sorry...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    static111 said:

About that…

I always like to point to California when it comes to solar and wind.  They have an abundance of it and have fucked it up every step of the way.  Ask anyone who lives out there.

I would like to see it improve and get better but like I said, even though renewables are lest costly the companies will still be looking to make maximum profits and recoup costs.

Then we as a government need to force these renewables like batteries, solar panels, to be recyclable.  I get angry when I start thinking about it, sorry...
    I think California requires solar on all new residential builds. That’s smart. The red tape is absurd 

The ability to roll solar into a mortgage makes it way more affordable. Not to mention it pays for itself anyway 
  • Options
    static111 said:

About that…

I think California requires solar on all new residential builds. That’s smart. The red tape is absurd 

The ability to roll solar into a mortgage makes it way more affordable. Not to mention it pays for itself anyway 
    NY has a minimum Sliver LEED on new buildings, I think public is harsher.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    static111 said:

About that…

Why do you say "harsher?" Is LEED certification a bad thing, whether silver, gold or platinum?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:

About that…

Why do you say "harsher?" Is LEED certification a bad thing, whether silver, gold or platinum?
    Stricter is the word I should have used.

Everyone should research LEED.  Subaru made a factory here in the states that is Platinum.  That is pretty impressive.
  • Options
    I would love to buy a new 4runner.  Have you seen the prices?

I'll wait.  Thanks.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
     A popular Middle Eastern/Lebanese restaurant just posted a gas card give away on their adbook page. Reason they did it was due to the full tank of gas siphoned from the catering vehicle overnight.

You guys might want to get locking fuel caps.Waiting to pick mine up at a Napa. Have a Ram 1500 with 26gal tank. with fuel being what it is today, spending the $16 for the cap is a smal price to pay when a fill up from 1/2 tank tops north of $50....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
     A popular Middle Eastern/Lebanese restaurant just posted a gas card give away on their adbook page. Reason they did it was due to the full tank of gas siphoned from the catering vehicle overnight.

You guys might want to get locking fuel caps.Waiting to pick mine up at a Napa. Have a Ram 1500 with 26gal tank. with fuel being what it is today, spending the $16 for the cap is a smal price to pay when a fill up from 1/2 tank tops north of $50....
    Or I could just buy a gun and Stand My Ground by protecting my Gas property, then people will know not to Suck My Gas!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,715
    I would love to buy a new 4runner.  Have you seen the prices?

I'll wait.  Thanks.
    Yeah, new 4-Runners are what. like $65K?   Yeow!
    How about used prices?  They're insane!  My wife has a 1999 4-runner with something like 260,000 miles on it.  Considering the upgrades on the cooling system and transmission for towing her little Casita trailer, she could easily get $10K for it, maybe as much as 12 to 15K.  That's just crazy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    90s 4runner's are great for wheeling.  They're also 20+ years old, so finding them in good shape is getting harder.

I keep looking for a pre 2004 Tacoma for going exploring (Before they started supersizing tacomas).  They're so hard to find them with lower km's and in good shape.  They go for a lot when they pop up.

Right now I'm rocking my 2007 Ranger 4x4.  It has low km's so I'll probably keep it for a while.   Might replace it with a Maverick when it gets too old.  Every other truck is massive, expensive, and guzzles gas :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    90s 4runner's are great for wheeling.  They're also 20+ years old, so finding them in good shape is getting harder.

I keep looking for a pre 2004 Tacoma for going exploring (Before they started supersizing tacomas).  They're so hard to find them with lower km's and in good shape.  They go for a lot when they pop up.

Right now I'm rocking my 2007 Ranger 4x4.  It has low km's so I'll probably keep it for a while.   Might replace it with a Maverick when it gets too old.  Every other truck is massive, expensive, and guzzles gas :(
    Just buy the pre Tacomas.  The SV5's.  They run forever.  For whatever reason I have seen caravans of them being towed down to Mexico.  They must love them down there.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    A few things on that:

I would expect inflation to inflate profits over time.  Because everything eventually goes up.  The input costs, the labour costs, and the cost the good is sold out.  If you aim for a 15% or 20% profit margin.  20% of 100 is going to be more than 20% of 90 kind of thing.

The other one is there isn't an infinite supply of goods.  The question would be, if the price of gas was lower, or the price of other goods lower, is enough being manufactured to meet what the demand is at a lower price point.

None of this is pleasant, but the world does have a finite supply of resources and goods that can be produced, so I do feel that plays a part in everything.  People generally assume if the money was in the hands of plebs everyone would have more stuff, but I don't generally think it works like that.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    Load up on tampons fellas and be a hero to your significant other. 
  • Options
    OK.  I had mentioned on how I count the ships waiting in the harbor to get unloaded out by the beach by me.

Yesterday I counted the most I ever had.  23 ships in waiting.  Most previous to that was like 16 I believe.

That is a whole lot of inflated pricing of products that will be on the shelves soon.  Products that may not be sold and cause a price dip hopefully?
  • Options
    Can we talk about oil and gas prices?

Why do people still think that Biden caused inflation and the high gas prices?!?