I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

I just went to look at this and you paid $100 for this?

Talking about making money off of the return...
    It's the greatest pop record of all time.  You could argue Rumours too (I much prefer that one), but this album is a pop masterpiece.  So buying a box, 45 RPM, mastered from the original analog tapes for $100 in this record market is not unusual.  Pearl went for $125.  Clapton Unplugged was $125.  If your question is because you don't like the record, well that's an opinion.  But the price for what this is, is not out of range at all. 
    I'm pretty sure I bought In Rainbows 45rpm for less but ok.

$100 for a repressed record seems a bit much to me. Plus the listing says it's 33-1/3 on MD.

OK Just went down the rabbits hole.  Rumors is half that and VH box albums are a wee bit more.  I guess what's weird is I saw so many of these as a kid for like $5 and now they want $100 is odd.

I will learn to accept the $100 record, lol.  I mean I bought the Metallica MOP box set for $130?  That was a nice box set.
    MOFI definitely raised their prices in the last two years.  Prior, Kind of Blue was $55 as an example.  

Also, I don't think this is a repress.  I read this as a fresh mastering and lacquer cut from the original tapes.  I was not aware that MOFI had done Thriller before.  Is that the case?
    So they are doing a fresh pressing of this?  That is impressive then and not just using the old plates.

I forget that the words matter about these.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

It's the greatest pop record of all time.  You could argue Rumours too (I much prefer that one), but this album is a pop masterpiece.  So buying a box, 45 RPM, mastered from the original analog tapes for $100 in this record market is not unusual.  Pearl went for $125.  Clapton Unplugged was $125.  If your question is because you don't like the record, well that's an opinion.  But the price for what this is, is not out of range at all. 

$100 for a repressed record seems a bit much to me. Plus the listing says it's 33-1/3 on MD.

OK Just went down the rabbits hole.  Rumors is half that and VH box albums are a wee bit more.  I guess what's weird is I saw so many of these as a kid for like $5 and now they want $100 is odd.

I will learn to accept the $100 record, lol.  I mean I bought the Metallica MOP box set for $130?  That was a nice box set.
    MOFI definitely raised their prices in the last two years.  Prior, Kind of Blue was $55 as an example.  

Also, I don't think this is a repress.  I read this as a fresh mastering and lacquer cut from the original tapes.  I was not aware that MOFI had done Thriller before.  Is that the case?
    So they are doing a fresh pressing of this?  That is impressive then and not just using the old plates.

Quick lookup on Discogs shows that there is no MOFI pressing in existence today.  So they will use the original masters and Krieg will do a fresh mastering, lacquer and then press.  Definitely not an old plate.  So yes, this will be different than any version out there today.  And presumably the highest quality.  The originals were probably all analog, but the 80s was a terrible time for vinyl quality and of course they will be very old and worn at this point.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

Quick lookup on Discogs shows that there is no MOFI pressing in existence today.  So they will use the original masters and Krieg will do a fresh mastering, lacquer and then press.  Definitely not an old plate.  So yes, this will be different than any version out there today.  And presumably the highest quality.  The originals were probably all analog, but the 80s was a terrible time for vinyl quality and of course they will be very old and worn at this point.  
    See, get to the bottom of this and I am now A-OK with the $100 price tag.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

I'm the same way about records- I've never spent $100 on a record and only a few half that much and only because they were scarce.  But if someone has the bucks and is into hi-end audiophile, I can see why they would be into it. 
    There is a point where to me audiophile becomes absurd- I once saw in (I think it was) an Acoustics Sounds catalogue a turntable/cartridge combination that would set a buyer back $250,000.  A quarter of a mil for a record player?  Crazy.  I just can't imagine anyone have hearing good enough to justify that, lol.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

I'm the same way about records- I've never spent $100 on a record and only a few half that much and only because they were scarce.  But if someone has the bucks and is into hi-end audiophile, I can see why they would be into it. 
    There is a point where to me audiophile becomes absurd- I once saw in (I think it was) an Acoustics Sounds catalogue a turntable/cartridge combination that would set a buyer back $250,000.  A quarter of a mil for a record player?  Crazy.  I just can't imagine anyone have hearing good enough to justify that, lol.
    Yeah that's for people who have too much money to spend and not enough to spend it on...  it is ridiculous.  There is definitely a law of diminishing returns on these products and records.  
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    When you’ve got an album like muddy waters folk singer
    AP 40-60
    Mofi 125

that’s where the value judgment to me gets a bit lost. To me that’s more of an apples/apples comparison.

that said I haven’t heard the mofi version   
    AP 40-60
    Mofi 125

that’s where the value judgment to me gets a bit lost. To me that’s more of an apples/apples comparison.

I have the AP and it's incredible.  MOFI definitely has a price premium on their name and I think that's a great example.  Could it be better?  I suppose.  Not twice as good for twice as much.  I had zero interest in getting the MOFI one.  
    mrussel1 said:
    AP 40-60
    Mofi 125

I have the AP and it's incredible.  MOFI definitely has a price premium on their name and I think that's a great example.  Could it be better?  I suppose.  Not twice as good for twice as much.  I had zero interest in getting the MOFI one.  
    Isn't their a MOFI Beetles album that everyone goes Apey for?  Or is that a Mono version?
    mrussel1 said:
    AP 40-60
    Mofi 125

Isn't their a MOFI Beetles album that everyone goes Apey for?  Or is that a Mono version?
    There might be a MOFI, but it would be from years ago.  For example there's a Sticky Fingers from the early 80's.  But I've heard it's not very good, boomy.  There are definitely Beatles mono releases from 2014.  I have most of those and they are friggin fantastic.  They were mastered from the analog whereas the stereo versions from a few years later are all digital.  
    AP 40-60
    Mofi 125

I just went to listen to my Chess copy to see how good it sounds, a copy I bought new years ago for probably 8 or 10 bucks, and couldn't find it.  I haven't listened to it in a long time.  I looked everywhere.  No go.  I searched my Discogs collection collection, not there.  Did I sell it off years ago during my years of being down and out?  Could I really have done that?  I'm freaking out a little bit here. 

I'd better laugh to not cry. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

AAA fresh cut of one of the greatest records of all time. This will be the definitive version.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

AAA fresh cut of one of the greatest records of all time. This will be the definitive version.
    Really?  You think that highly of it before it's even out?

OK good to know.  I'll put it on my list.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited May 2022
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

Really?  You think that highly of it before it's even out?

OK good to know.  I'll put it on my list.

past and present quality garners great trust in future products.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    On the fence.  How long reasonably can you expect 40k copies to last? Seems like a lot, but it’s Thriller  
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

I thought I read somewhere that it’s been remastered several times over the years and none of them have been received well.  So it’s not like there is a ton of highly thought of competing versions anyway 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    @mrussel1 will you be buying all the Neil Young "official bootlegs"? Even the audience boots? Or are you sticking to the multitracks?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    @mrussel1 will you be buying all the Neil Young "official bootlegs"? Even the audience boots? Or are you sticking to the multitracks?
    The only one I have purchased thus far is citizen kaine.  It's supposed to be delivered in the next day or so.  I haven't purchased the others because they appear to be redundant to Massey, Carnegie, etc.  Are you looking for a Swedish shipment?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    The only one I have purchased thus far is citizen kaine.  It's supposed to be delivered in the next day or so.  I haven't purchased the others because they appear to be redundant to Massey, Carnegie, etc.  Are you looking for a Swedish shipment?
    No. I am looking to not make the wrong decision. Haha. 

I had planned to buy all six. But I thought they all were mulitrack mixes... Some of them being audience boots make me unsure....
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    No. I am looking to not make the wrong decision. Haha. 

I had planned to buy all six. But I thought they all were mulitrack mixes... Some of them being audience boots make me unsure....
    I just got Citizen delivered so I'll give an opinion on that soon.  I'd wait for the discogs reviews to come in before deciding. 

I did finally get Tuscaloosa and that kicks ass.  I like it better than Time Fades Away. 
  • onejourney...onejourney... Posts: 248
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

It’s a one step pressing, not just a normal mofi release.  It will be VERY different from any version of thriller you’ve heard before.  Here’s a bit about the one step process from them directly:

More About Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc One-Step and Why It Is Superior 
    Instead of utilizing the industry-standard three-step lacquer process, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's new UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S) uses only one step, bypassing two processes of generational loss. While three-step processing is designed for optimum yield and efficiency, UD1S is created for the ultimate in sound quality. Just as Mobile Fidelity pioneered the UHQR (Ultra High-Quality Record) with JVC in the 1980s, UD1S again represents another state-of-the-art advance in the record-manufacturing process. MFSL engineers begin with the original master tapes and meticulously cut a set of lacquers. These lacquers are used to create a very fragile, pristine UD1S stamper called a "convert." Delicate "converts" are then formed into the actual record stampers, producing a final product that literally and figuratively brings you closer to the music. By skipping the additional steps of pulling another positive and an additional negative, as done in the three-step process used in standard pressings, UD1S produces a final LP with the lowest noise floor possible today. The removal of the additional two steps of generational loss in the plating process reveals tremendous amounts of extra musical detail and dynamics, which are otherwise lost due to the standard copying process. The exclusive nature of these very limited pressings guarantees that every UD1S pressing serves as an immaculate replica of the lacquer sourced directly from the original master tape. Every conceivable aspect of vinyl production is optimized to produce the most perfect record album available today.

Also, if your curious about value, mike explains this pressing really well here:

Post edited by onejourney... on
    here for the music...
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Universal is increasing the cost on all vinyl records between $2-15 US due to inflation  These aren’t limited editions or reissues. Sony and the other big guys will soon follow suit. Inevitably the independent labels will all be in the same boat. It’s not a matter of “if” it is “when”. Record buyers are going to eat this cost.

I had never watched this guys channel but it came up as recommended and the title caught my eye. He owns a small chain of independent record stores in Dallas/Fort Worth. Here is the link if you are interested:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHYBRXaxIfU

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Universal is increasing the cost on all vinyl records between $2-15 US due to inflation  These aren’t limited editions or reissues. Sony and the other big guys will soon follow suit. Inevitably the independent labels will all be in the same boat. It’s not a matter of “if” it is “when”. Record buyers are going to eat this cost.

I had never watched this guys channel but it came up as recommended and the title caught my eye. He owns a small chain of independent record stores in Dallas/Fort Worth. Here is the link if you are interested:

One of the guys at my local haunt mentioned this last weekend. They were told to expect the increases by the 1st of June. They’ve already seen the price increases (and have paid) on upcoming releases. 

Big business will always squeeze out as many bucks as possible.  This is a great time to explore and get into independent labels.  American Laundromat Records has been putting out some great stuff at good prices.
    And even better, Mississippi Records.  A while back, I ordered two LPs by Dead Moon from them and the total cost- two LPs, tax, and shipping- $35  Great deal!  Check out the cool stuff from both:

Is it really a price rise if nothing you even want to buy is ever in stock? 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited May 2022
    TIME TO SERIOUSLY DIG IN THE USED BINS!!!!!!
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Is it really a price rise if nothing you even want to buy is ever in stock? 
    Haha, so true!
    mickeyrat said:
    Heck yeah! 
    Or you could do what I do which is, as I told a friend, to "scour the internet". 
    His response to that?  "It's about time someone cleaned it up!"

• Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

As I understand it, I t’s the one step mastering that contributes to the high price. Only 500 copies per lacquer. I don’t know what the press run is on Thriller but it’s going to take a lot of lacquers. But what do I know. I’m a CD guy.
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

As I understand it, I t’s the one step mastering that contributes to the high price. Only 500 copies per lacquer. I don’t know what the press run is on Thriller but it’s going to take a lot of lacquers. But what do I know. I’m a CD guy.

Speaking of lacquers, anybody know who is making them now since the fire in that plant in Southern California that destroyed the one plant that made most of them?  I heard there was a guy in Japan making them but in very limited numbers,  I wonder if a new plant (or more) has since been built?  That was big news for awhile- haven't heard much in the last year or so.

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    I’m going to just listen to the records I have. I have more than enough to keep me entertained for years 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    mickeyrat said:
    I’m going to just listen to the records I have. I have more than enough to keep me entertained for years 
    yeah me too.  I've definitely slowed down my buying as I really have most things that I really want.  Now it's just looking at high end reissues or when Neil Young has a new release.