*** Pearl Jam Oakland, CA Fanviews 5/12/22 ***

Comments

• THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    Oh and did Ed say Bridge School was coming back? I thought he did. 
    "..to find the comfort in this world."
  • curleybarneycurleybarney USA Posts: 156
    Oh and did Ed say Bridge School was coming back? I thought he did. 
    He sure did
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    Man this makes me anxious for future shows.  This was always a risk but as someone who is greatly anticipating Vegas I only hope things work out.  
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    I’d love to see some BTS footage of them scrambling around. Coming up with the set list, deciding what sections goes to which drummer etc….
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    The Nothingman story was awesome. It's amazing how things come full circle.

Angels (and former Cubs) manager Joe Maddon was in attendance on their off day. The bond Eddie made with that Cubs team during their World Series run is strong.
  • Marcust99Marcust99 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 17
    smithnic said:
    Man this makes me anxious for future shows.  This was always a risk but as someone who is greatly anticipating Vegas I only hope things work out.  

Totally. Stone, Mike or Ed get it, no show.....

08/05/92 - Barrie, Ontario (Lollapalooza), 08/18/93 - Toronto, w/ Neil Young, 10/01/96 - Toronto ,08/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario,10/05/00 - Toronto, 06/28/03 - Toronto, 09/13/05 - Hamilton ,09/19/05 - Toronto, 08/21//09 - Toronto, 09/11-12/11 - Toronto, 9/15/11 - Hamilton, 10/12/13 - Buffalo, 05/10-12/16 - Toronto, 05/09/22 - Phoenix

• potnikpotnik Posts: 440
    Kingkong1 said:
    For Oakland night 2, per Eddie's request: 

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/709450243
    Make it happen 10 club.

• WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    Marcust99 said:
    smithnic said:

Well, Ed had it earlier this year so he's probably safe for a while...but Stone or Mike, bad news. Do you think they would try to play without Jeff? 
  • jadakidjadakid Posts: 64
    MA209067 said:
    MA209067 said:
    Where to start....an unexpectedly emotional and transcendent night. I haven’t seen the band since Wrigley night 1 2016. Life has changed a lot since then. I’ve seen a lot of rock shows since then; I’ve experienced the same covid isolation as everyone since then. I’m obviously dealing with some recency bias here, but tonight was special. Ed coming out and starting Rockin with the house lights on was unexpected, unnerving, and ominous. Myself and everyone else was simultaneously in a blissful state of “are you fucking kidding me?!” and “oh shit, where’s Matt?” 

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but as we’re coming up on 5 years of Chris being gone, my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

What transpired after the announcement was one of the most unique and badass PJ shows I’ve ever seen. This was number 10 for me, the first in almost 6 years, and god damnit everyone, they’re still ours, they’re still the best, and they’re still the soundtrack of my life. Music is incredible in that way. The looks of humility and joy and laughter that occurred when the drummers would play a fill that didn’t belong or an extended outro brought a newfound life and spontaneity that will probably never happen again at a PJ show. We were all simultaneously missing Matt but loving the piecemeal lineup that made this show happen. 

There are more sober thoughts to be had, but I just want to say, everything is good in PJ land. This was a 24 song set that was perfect. The covers were all amazing, and the people who were dancing with me on the outskirts of GA are legends for life. I can’t believe I get to do it again tomorrow. Holy shit. 
    You think the band would play if something serious happened to Matt? What a weird comment. 
    No. I wasn’t trying to be melodramatic, you just never know what’s up. I wasn’t suggesting Matt had died or anything, but the seriousness of Ed’s demeanor during the first few songs and the unannounced but obvious absence of Matt wasn’t something that was taken lightly. Since you’re the arbiter of what qualifies as a “serious” situation, perhaps you can go into detail as to what situations qualify as worrisome and which ones we should all shrug off. Love these boards! See everyone tomorrow. 
    I think your comment was incentive and in bad taste to be honest. That’s all and for some reason your posts annoy me. I gotta go. Thx.
    Lighten up Francis. Guy was just expressing his feeling at the time.  No need for smug comments. 
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    Marcust99 said:
    smithnic said:

Well, Ed had it earlier this year so he's probably safe for a while...but Stone or Mike, bad news. Do you think they would try to play without Jeff? 

I know Josh was added as a touring member before the pandemic - but I think he is capable of covering for anybody except Ed (vocals)
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    Marcust99 said:
    smithnic said:

Hate to say it, but I thing Ed is the only one who the show would definitely be cancelled for. Now, if 2 guys go down, then I think there is a problem. I could be wrong, but I believe the most difficult task Josh could have is to fill in for Matt, and he proved he could do that. Of course its not the same as having the 5 guys up there, it is more of a "the show must go on". There was an interview, I forget if Ed said it or Stone, but someone was talking about Josh and Andrew Watt and how those two can play all the PJ songs better than the guys in the band. Obviously it wasn't a 100% serious comment, but I do think Josh is the ultimate utility player. Ed is the only pitcher, and if he goes down, no game, but otherwise I think Josh can fill in anywhere and get through a 20-25 song set.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    jadakid said:
    MA209067 said:
    MA209067 said:
    Where to start....an unexpectedly emotional and transcendent night. I haven’t seen the band since Wrigley night 1 2016. Life has changed a lot since then. I’ve seen a lot of rock shows since then; I’ve experienced the same covid isolation as everyone since then. I’m obviously dealing with some recency bias here, but tonight was special. Ed coming out and starting Rockin with the house lights on was unexpected, unnerving, and ominous. Myself and everyone else was simultaneously in a blissful state of “are you fucking kidding me?!” and “oh shit, where’s Matt?” 

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but as we’re coming up on 5 years of Chris being gone, my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

What transpired after the announcement was one of the most unique and badass PJ shows I’ve ever seen. This was number 10 for me, the first in almost 6 years, and god damnit everyone, they’re still ours, they’re still the best, and they’re still the soundtrack of my life. Music is incredible in that way. The looks of humility and joy and laughter that occurred when the drummers would play a fill that didn’t belong or an extended outro brought a newfound life and spontaneity that will probably never happen again at a PJ show. We were all simultaneously missing Matt but loving the piecemeal lineup that made this show happen. 

There are more sober thoughts to be had, but I just want to say, everything is good in PJ land. This was a 24 song set that was perfect. The covers were all amazing, and the people who were dancing with me on the outskirts of GA are legends for life. I can’t believe I get to do it again tomorrow. Holy shit. 
    You think the band would play if something serious happened to Matt? What a weird comment. 
    No. I wasn’t trying to be melodramatic, you just never know what’s up. I wasn’t suggesting Matt had died or anything, but the seriousness of Ed’s demeanor during the first few songs and the unannounced but obvious absence of Matt wasn’t something that was taken lightly. Since you’re the arbiter of what qualifies as a “serious” situation, perhaps you can go into detail as to what situations qualify as worrisome and which ones we should all shrug off. Love these boards! See everyone tomorrow. 
    I think your comment was incentive and in bad taste to be honest. That’s all and for some reason your posts annoy me. I gotta go. Thx.
    Lighten up Francis. Guy was just expressing his feeling at the time.  No need for smug comments. 
    Smug comments is that posters thing. Ignore them 
  • BinOttawaBinOttawa Posts: 76
    MA209067 said:

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

Great chatting with you on the Bart after the show! 
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    jadakid said:
    MA209067 said:
    MA209067 said:

Chillax. Their comments were ridiculous and tone deaf and I’m glad I told them.  Plus my name isn’t Francis, you must be confused. 
  • demay said:
    Pretty amazing for the band to pull off tonight’s show. Josh klinghoffer and Richard were amazing, considering they had to figure things out quickly. And, just think about it..a dude gets up one morning, knowing he’s going to a Pearl Jam show that night, and ends up playing drums with them onstage, to yellow Ledbetter, to close the night. That has to be one of that dudes life highlights and we all got to be a part of it. Pretty cool night. 
    Not only that but the guys kid was at the side of the stage. Talk about a superhero dad. What a cool moment 
    Any pictures of them before/during/after? As a dad of two boys, I can only imagine. Memories for life for both of them. So cool.
    Severed Hand
    I haven't checked previous setlists on this tour, but it's incredible that they didn't play a single song from Binaural through Lightning Bolt.
  • CC41868CC41868 Posts: 2
    Jed said:
    I can totally sit in for Matt if they need me but I ONLY know how to play Dirty Frank. I hope that's not gonna be a problem.
    I'm able to play back up on Bugs! 

Fort Lauderdale 10/7/96
    West Palm Beach 9/22/98
    Mansfield 8/29 + 8/30/00
    Mansfield 7/2, 7/3 + 7/11/03
    Boston 9/28 + 9/29/04
    Boston 5/24 + 5/25/06
    Mansfield 6/28 + 6/30/08
    Hartford 5/15/10
    Boston 5/17/10
    Worcester 10/15/13
    Hartford 10/25/13
    Boston 8/5 + 8/7/16

Boston 9/2 + 9/4/18

• MA209067MA209067 Posts: 77
    BinOttawa said:
    MA209067 said:

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

Great chatting with you on the Bart after the show! 
    You too! Always fun to geek out after a show. 😎
    The ironic thing is even with Matt Cameron sidelined, this show was tighter than the 2013 show in the same building.
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    I haven't checked previous setlists on this tour, but it's incredible that they didn't play a single song from Binaural through Lightning Bolt.
    Because it was my son's first PJ show, I was actually glad to hear all the hits and well-trod covers like RITFW and Baba, but it is kind of sad to see them kind of turn into the Rolling Stones - of the 21 original songs they did, 18 were from 1998 and earlier (and 14 from '94 and earlier), and then of course just the three new ones. It's as if the albums from 2000 through 2013 didn't exist.

That said, I understand not only that this tour has been different, but especially perhaps last night with the "guest" drummers. Which probably means more of the same tonight, we'll see. I hope we get at least three different Gigaton songs and fewer hits overall, but we'll have to see.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Incredible what Richard and Josh were able to do on short notice and kudos to the band for pulling this show off. Get well soon Matt
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    nicknyr15 said:
    jadakid said:
    MA209067 said:
    MA209067 said:

Smug comments is that posters thing. Ignore them 
    That’s not true. 
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 335
    Last night was a blast, but I do hope they work up a varied set list for tonight. I expected to hear all the songs played last night over 2 nights. Still a special show just based on how well they played, how much fun they were having during what was probably a stressful situation and how cool the crowd was. Eddie was feeling the love for sure. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited May 2022
    https://youtu.be/vX0wjWTZR2I

about an hour of footage from front rail center. Here is LUKIN / ANIMAL.
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    Holy sh't last night was amazing. Here's to a speedy recovery for Matt...but have to echo the sentiments that the band really did pull a rabbit out of the hat last night. I just watched Not For You on YouTube where they found Josh A., then watched YLB with him on drums, such a bad-ass moment...and when he came off stage and his daughter just leaped into his arms was the coolest, the waterworks started to flow. 

Been loving this band for 30 years and last night's experience sums up why, these guys are just the best. I don't care what they play tonight, after last night, tonight is going to be the cherry on top, so grateful we got two nights in OAK, thanks Pearl Jam. I'll be in the pit tonight, let's go crazy!!! 
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    The ironic thing is even with Matt Cameron sidelined, this show was tighter than the 2013 show in the same building.
    I wouldn’t go as far to say that, but given the circumstances this time around, it was a pretty spectacular performance for sure! 
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 350
    edited May 2022
    steved said:
    https://youtu.be/vX0wjWTZR2I

about an hour of footage from front rail center. Here is LUKIN / ANIMAL.
    Man Stuverud sounds pretty fucking good for a no-notice gig. Great fills, differentiated his parts between verses/choruses/made transitions well, etc. 
    Post edited by heartofadog on
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22)
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 594
    Kingkong1 said:
    For Oakland night 2, per Eddie's request: 

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/709450243
    One of my favorite songs, hope they call you! 

Echoing what everyone already said, what an unreal and special experience. I was in the pit and the energy from the crowd was fantastic. It felt really off the cuff, like we were all in a small club or basement and Ed was just messing around and picking songs to play for the fun of it. I can't wait to see what tonight brings! 
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Feel for Matt. Bittersweet night, like hearing PJ "covering" pearl jam songs, just not quite the same. Seen so many bands replace members over the years (knock on wood), first time you see the "new lineup.." not quite what you want. Esp as a Built to Spill fan watching Doug rebuild his band year after year, been there. This was NOTHING like that, no new arrangements and what not, was very cool to see them work through this.

Of course i had a blast with that set list, totally hoarse today (did NOT imagine i'd be screaming loudest on ... Nothingman?) And yes, the whole scramble impromptu nature of it all just added to fun loose vibe. ("tighter than 2013..." hehehehe, THAT was a fun show!)

Hail Hail and Breakerfall tonight? The rockers just easier i'd think for other's to fill in. But ... for once i actually WANTED to hear the new stuff, went into this thinking we may very well get to hear all of Gigaton over two nights. Recall the goosebumps first time I head Pendulum live... Instead, we may very well hear the rest of Ten tonight!

Got to imagine this goes further to cementing Josh's role in the touring band! And 3 EV solo/acoustic plus Josh covering Radiohead ... the other Present Tense, lol ... oh yeah, i'll take it!
    [sic] happens
  • JA288844JA288844 Posts: 27
    demay said:
    Pretty amazing for the band to pull off tonight’s show. Josh klinghoffer and Richard were amazing, considering they had to figure things out quickly. And, just think about it..a dude gets up one morning, knowing he’s going to a Pearl Jam show that night, and ends up playing drums with them onstage, to yellow Ledbetter, to close the night. That has to be one of that dudes life highlights and we all got to be a part of it. Pretty cool night. 
    Not only that but the guys kid was at the side of the stage. Talk about a superhero dad. What a cool moment 
    Any pictures of them before/during/after? As a dad of two boys, I can only imagine. Memories for life for both of them. So cool.
    At 7:17 of this video you can see them hugging (so cool):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px1JbfCvffE