North American Tour 2022
05/12/22
Show One
Set List

Eddie Vedder on stage 7:28
01. Needle & The Damage Done-(Young)
02. I Won’t Back Down-(Petty, Lynn)

Josh Klinghoffer on stage 7:36
Stone Gossard comes out and plays Buttercup-(Smith, Gossard, Hagar, Toback)

PEARL JAM
guest drummer Richard Stuverud and touring member Josh Klinghoffer trade off playing drums
Band Onstage 8:47
Band Offstage 11:20

{Band comes onstage with houselights on.  Josh Klinghoffer on the drum kit}
Josh Klinghoffer on drums
01. Rocking In The Free World-(Young)
02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
{Ed talks about Matt Cameron’s amazing ability and superhero powers but he still got the corona virus.  Postponement and cancellation weren’t an option so some friends are going to fill in.}
03. Why Go
04. Corduroy

{Ed introduces Richard Stuverud by describing the phone call asking him to play and mentions his relationship to the band members, especially Jeff and the Seattle scene}
Richard Stuverud on drums
05. Quick Escape
06. Superblood Wolfmoon
{Tells the story behind the next song and getting to and from the studio.  Richard played on the original demo}
07. Nothing Man
{Health care workers have had it the hardest during the Covid pandemic and are very appreciated}
08. Even Flow

Josh on drums
09. Given To Fly
10. Wishlist
11. Black
12. Do The Evolution
13. Daughter
{Ed tells the infamous story of Pete Townshend getting a fan out of the crowd to fill in for a passed out Moon.  He asks the audience to submit videos to Ten Club for a chance to play tomorrow.  A person in the crowd is thought to be a good drummer.  He is taken off to get tested for Covid with a chance to play with the band tonight}
14. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney) 1 minute long tag
{Baseball talk and spots a pro-choice sign.  “of course, of course, of course”

Richard on drums
15. Seven O’Clock
16. Jeremy
17. Porch

Encore Break
{Shares wine with crowd.  They get their own bottle and glasses. Praises the crowd as the best of the tour and one of the best generally.  Notes the area has lead the country in progressive positions.  Can’t believe that certain parts of our country are against love in any way}

18. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney) {Ed solo}
Josh drums
19. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 1 minute
Richard drums
20. Lukin
21. Animal
22. Alive
23. Baba O’Riley
(Ed thanks the audience, the band including Josh and Richard and introduces the person from the audience who can play drums. Josh Arroyo.  He lists off the PJ drummers and ends with Arroyo}
24. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing-(Hendrix) 35 seconds

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Comments

• Wow, that sounds like a crazy night.
    Hope Matt is feeling better soon!
  • demaydemay Posts: 67
    Pretty amazing for the band to pull off tonight’s show. Josh klinghoffer and Richard were amazing, considering they had to figure things out quickly. And, just think about it..a dude gets up one morning, knowing he’s going to a Pearl Jam show that night, and ends up playing drums with them onstage, to yellow Ledbetter, to close the night. That has to be one of that dudes life highlights and we all got to be a part of it. Pretty cool night. 
  • CabbieCabbie Posts: 34

It was wonderful. Josh and Richard did a tremendous job filling in for Matt. Yes, the setlist was very heavy on the hits, but the whole band played with incredible energy and grace. Impossible to leave disappointed after seeing how much love they shared tonight. They sounded so good. Mike's solo on Black was unreal.

The audience member playing drums on YLB was a treat! He should be proud!  

I hope Matt is feeling fine and recovers quickly. The band did such a good job adjusting to the situation. Thank you! Nights like this are a reminder of why they're the best.

I traveled across the country for this and had a blast.

• Hold OnHold On Posts: 80
    Just got home from the show.  A unique show.  Yes, it was pretty much a greatest hits show, but not complaining because it was impressive just to pull off the show at all.  Really appreciate the band stepping up to this challenge, and appreciate Josh and Richard filling in.  Starting off the show with RITFW and Eddie throwing tambourines into the crowd on the opening song was definitely a first for me.  Tomorrow should be interesting and I hope the rest of the band stays healthy and hope Matt gets well soon.  
  • AC300802AC300802 LA Area, California Posts: 55
    I have to say this was an incredible night, especially given the circumstances! What’s funny is when Ed came out at 7:30 he said “do we have a show for you” “no, I mean do we have a show for you?” We had no idea how close that was to the truth… 
    Hope for a speedy recovery for Matt!!
    Thought Josh and Richard filled in more than admirably. The band sounded awesome the whole night. Loved watching Jeff and the other guys coach Josh and Richard through parts of songs.
    The crowd also understood the assignment, and brought the HEAT! The arena looked like it was jumping from RITFW! 
    It was cool hearing the band adjust to the different drummers. Really enjoyed every moment.

Hope we get another show tomorrow night!

• curleybarneycurleybarney USA Posts: 156
    edited May 2022
    Hats off to the band for making tonight work. Hope Matt recovers soon.

Ed's preset was wonderful. I missed Won't Back Down in LA (got to the Forum late) and it made my night to hear it.

Josh is amazing and I'm so glad he's touring with the guys. Josh was on stage for a lot more songs than usual (backing vocals on other songs where Richard was on the drum kit). Richard killed it, too. Listening to the boot will be interesting. The band definitely played a few songs a bit slower than usual.

Opening with the house lights on for RITFW made me wonder just how many beers I had had...
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • The crowd was electric. It was a fun show to watch. I must say when the show opened with RITFW I was puzzled. The video screens weren’t on and we were sitting nearer the end and it sure didn’t look or sound like Matt. I think it was the third song in the screens came on and EV came clean. Thoroughly enjoyed the
    show and the purists can say what they like. On the train back to the hotel in downtown SF a couple lifers were badmouthing the whole night. Nuts to them. It was fun and the band knew the night was going to be what it was and played with fire. We flew a long way for these shows and I’m happy they went ahead. I hope Matt is well and the band and crew and everyone stays healthy. 
  • ThumbingMyWay310ThumbingMyWay310 Posts: 94
    edited May 2022
    The crowd was electric. It was a fun show to watch. I must say when the show opened with RITFW I was puzzled. The video screens weren’t on and we were sitting nearer the end and it sure didn’t look or sound like Matt. I think it was the third song in the screens came on and EV came clean. Thoroughly enjoyed the
    show and the purists can say what they like. On the train back to the hotel in downtown SF a couple lifers were badmouthing the whole night. Nuts to them. It was fun and the band knew the night was going to be what it was and played with fire. We flew a long way for these shows and I’m happy they went ahead. I hope Matt is well and the band and crew and everyone stays healthy. 
    As another lifer, I thought the performance was great but the setlist was lacking (especially stuff from No Code/Binaural) - but I totally understand why they had to do it. Josh and Richard were awesome (and Josh Arroyo!). I had a great night, and got lucky with getting one of the last 3 event shirts in my size. Well worth the 2 year wait, and the trip down from Portland. 
    San Francisco, CA 05/15/92 07/16/06
    Mountain View, CA 07/18/92 10/02/94 10/31/00 06/01/03 10/26/03
    San Jose, CA 10/30/93 11/04/95
    Sacramento,CA 07/16/98
    Knoxville, TN 09/06/98
    Oakland, CA 11/26/13  05/12/22
    Seattle, WA 08/10/18

• TheMooksterTheMookster Posts: 91
    Echo the comments above.Took guts to play the show by all the band but especially Josh and Richard. Richard was a monster!

Flew over from UK for these Oaklamd shows and tonight was my 50th PJ show. Not at all what I was expecting and was looking forward to more of Gigaton I guess but the show reminded me why I love this band so much and how much I'd missed seeing them over the last few years. Pretty unique experience and a  bit of "I was there" moment too. Matt is absolutely amazing and not replaceable for what he does and can do but I thought it was still a great show. Mike was on fire and Jeff seemed to get real pleasure out of seeing Richard pull off these songs with so little time to prepare, in a bigger venue than he's ever played before. Seemed like Jeff was proud of him.

Josh A who joined for Ledbetter played it perfectly - let the band lead and play what they needed and he was great, clearly playing within himself and just loving the moment. Looked like his daughter at the side of the stage while he played and she was so excited when he came off at the end, it really was an incredible thing for them I'm sure.

Didn't think I could respect this band more than I already did but...
    Finsbury Park '92 | Brixton 1 '93 | Wembley 2 '96 | Wembley 1&2 '00 | Reading, Paris '06 | Munich, Wembley '07 | Shepherds Bush, Berlin, Manchester, London '09 | Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park '10 | Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1, Copenhagen, Atlanta '12 | Brooklyn 2, Philly 1&2, LA 1&2 '13 | Amsterdam 1&2, Vienna, Berlin '14 | Central Park, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City '15 | Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Wrigley 1&2 '16 | London 1, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, London 2, Fenway 2 '18 | Oakland 1&2, Berlin, Zurich, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam '22 | St. Paul 1&2, Chicago 1&2 '23 |
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    demay said:
    Pretty amazing for the band to pull off tonight’s show. Josh klinghoffer and Richard were amazing, considering they had to figure things out quickly. And, just think about it..a dude gets up one morning, knowing he’s going to a Pearl Jam show that night, and ends up playing drums with them onstage, to yellow Ledbetter, to close the night. That has to be one of that dudes life highlights and we all got to be a part of it. Pretty cool night. 
    Not only that but the guys kid was at the side of the stage. Talk about a superhero dad. What a cool moment 
  • MA209067MA209067 Posts: 77
    edited May 2022
    Where to start....an unexpectedly emotional and transcendent night. I haven’t seen the band since Wrigley night 1 2016. Life has changed a lot since then. I’ve seen a lot of rock shows since then; I’ve experienced the same covid isolation as everyone since then. I’m obviously dealing with some recency bias here, but tonight was special. Ed coming out and starting Rockin with the house lights on was unexpected, unnerving, and ominous. Myself and everyone else was simultaneously in a blissful state of “are you fucking kidding me?!” and “oh shit, where’s Matt?” 

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

What transpired after the announcement was one of the most unique and badass PJ shows I’ve ever seen. This was number 10 for me, the first in almost 6 years, and god damnit everyone, they’re still ours, they’re still the best, and they’re still the soundtrack of my life. Music is incredible in that way. The looks of humility and joy and laughter that occurred when the drummers would play a fill that didn’t belong or an extended outro brought a newfound life and spontaneity that will probably never happen again at a PJ show. We were all simultaneously missing Matt but loving the piecemeal lineup that made this show happen. 

There are more sober thoughts to be had, but I just want to say, everything is good in PJ land. This was a 24 song set that was perfect. The covers were all amazing, and the people who were dancing with me on the outskirts of GA are legends for life. I can’t believe I get to do it again tomorrow. Holy shit. 
    Post edited by MA209067 on
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Ok, Josh Arroyo if you’re on these boards raise your hand dude! What a night that must’ve been!? 😳

’how was the show man??’

‘yeah not bad, got up to drum on YLB’ 😉

‘WTF’ 😳
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • MG182478MG182478 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 27
    I wasn’t there, but wow.. amazing. I can feel this one. Best wishes to Matt and hope the rest of the band stays healthy! 
    1994 : Cleveland
    1995 : Chicago
    1996 : Toronto, Buffalo
    1998 : East Troy x2, East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh, Cuyahoga Falls
    2000 : Columbus, Pittsburgh, Auburn Hills
    2003 : Cleveland
    2004 : Toledo
    2005 : Toronto
    2006 : Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    2010 : Cleveland
    2013 : Buffalo
    2014 : Detroit
    2016 : Tampa, Wrigley 
    2018 : Wrigley 
    2022 : Chicago (EV & The Earthlings)
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    I like this tee:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2022
    So many thoughts running through my head at this early hour, but I can’t sleep because my head is still spinning from that show I just witnessed. 

Yes, it was sloppy & rough at times and it was primarily a greatest hits show but I believe I just witnessed a truly defining moment for this band. I can’t think of any band that would’ve tried to do what this band just accomplished tonight. They gave it their all & we the audience gave it our all in return and it made for a magical night.

Opening with RITFW and tambourines flying every where to start the show, Not For You, Baba and the heroes of the night Josh, Richard and Joshua Arroyo from the audience are some of my  highlights in a night full of them! 

Okay, time to go get some sleep to do this all over again tomorrow. LFG N2!!! 😎🤘🔥🔥🎸

Post edited by Red Mosqito on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited May 2022
    Amazing that they pulled this off with the notice that they had. Best band in he world. 
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Ok, Josh Arroyo if you’re on these boards raise your hand dude! What a night that must’ve been!? 😳

’how was the show man??’

‘yeah not bad, got up to drum on YLB’ 😉

‘WTF’ 😳
    I hope he’s on The Forum. I hope he tells his side of the story. And has pics of his daughter side stage. “Oh, What a Night”!!! 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Kudos to Pearl Jam for pulling that off!  Not a shabby setlist either.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Kingkong1Kingkong1 Posts: 2
    For Oakland night 2, per Eddie's request: 

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/709450243
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Kingkong1 said:
    For Oakland night 2, per Eddie's request: 

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/709450243
    Dude that's awesome!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Wasn’t there, saw San Diego. But damn, the ability to pull it off without Matt is amazing and so thankful for the fans that could make it.

Seems to point to the fact that no matter who gets sick, they will still be able to play…except maybe vedder.  Thanks for sharing your 1st hand experiences 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    MA209067 said:
    Where to start....an unexpectedly emotional and transcendent night. I haven’t seen the band since Wrigley night 1 2016. Life has changed a lot since then. I’ve seen a lot of rock shows since then; I’ve experienced the same covid isolation as everyone since then. I’m obviously dealing with some recency bias here, but tonight was special. Ed coming out and starting Rockin with the house lights on was unexpected, unnerving, and ominous. Myself and everyone else was simultaneously in a blissful state of “are you fucking kidding me?!” and “oh shit, where’s Matt?” 

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but as we’re coming up on 5 years of Chris being gone, my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

What transpired after the announcement was one of the most unique and badass PJ shows I’ve ever seen. This was number 10 for me, the first in almost 6 years, and god damnit everyone, they’re still ours, they’re still the best, and they’re still the soundtrack of my life. Music is incredible in that way. The looks of humility and joy and laughter that occurred when the drummers would play a fill that didn’t belong or an extended outro brought a newfound life and spontaneity that will probably never happen again at a PJ show. We were all simultaneously missing Matt but loving the piecemeal lineup that made this show happen. 

There are more sober thoughts to be had, but I just want to say, everything is good in PJ land. This was a 24 song set that was perfect. The covers were all amazing, and the people who were dancing with me on the outskirts of GA are legends for life. I can’t believe I get to do it again tomorrow. Holy shit. 
    You think the band would play if something serious happened to Matt? What a weird comment. 
  • MA209067MA209067 Posts: 77
    MA209067 said:

I was saying inwardly “please just let it be covid. Please not another fucking serious blow. Please not something more serious.” That’s not to say covid ISN’T serious, but as we’re coming up on 5 years of Chris being gone, my mind wondered. Ed was visibly a little out of it during the first two songs. He was jumping around and trying to vibe in, but you could see the seriousness on his face. Something was up. Alas, a few songs in he broke the news. Matt does indeed have covid. 

You think the band would play if something serious happened to Matt? What a weird comment. 
    No. I wasn’t trying to be melodramatic, you just never know what’s up. I wasn’t suggesting Matt had died or anything, but the seriousness of Ed’s demeanor during the first few songs and the unannounced but obvious absence of Matt wasn’t something that was taken lightly. Since you’re the arbiter of what qualifies as a “serious” situation, perhaps you can go into detail as to what situations qualify as worrisome and which ones we should all shrug off. Love these boards! See everyone tomorrow. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    MA209067 said:
    MA209067 said:

No. I wasn’t trying to be melodramatic, you just never know what’s up. I wasn’t suggesting Matt had died or anything, but the seriousness of Ed’s demeanor during the first few songs and the unannounced but obvious absence of Matt wasn’t something that was taken lightly. Since you’re the arbiter of what qualifies as a “serious” situation, perhaps you can go into detail as to what situations qualify as worrisome and which ones we should all shrug off. Love these boards! See everyone tomorrow. 
    I think your comment was incentive and in bad taste to be honest. That’s all and for some reason your posts annoy me. I gotta go. Thx.
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 692
    Wow!!  In 3 + decades…I don’t recall seeing the band in a situation quite like this.  Craziness!  Happy for those who got to see/participate in such a unique show!  
  • THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    Been to over 45 Pearl Jam shows and this was definitely the most unique! But amazing they could make it all work so well! Klinghoffer reminded me of Irons with the raw intensity as the engine for some of last night. The crowd was so into it and it made the whole night that much more special! Cannot wait to see what they come up with tonight! Getting there extra early! 
    "..to find the comfort in this world."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    kudos to the band for pulling that off. all the "why do the need josh as a touring member?" folks I think may have been swayed if they haven't already. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    I can totally sit in for Matt if they need me but I ONLY know how to play Dirty Frank. I hope that's not gonna be a problem.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    kudos to the band for pulling that off. all the "why do the need josh as a touring member?" folks I think may have been swayed if they haven't already. 
    Exactly. He’s such a useful guy to have around.