Options

First Trip To Seattle: Tourist Ideas Needed

hey all. My wife and I are flying Winnipeg to Vancouver then driving to Seattle for the Jerry Cantrell show at the Moore. We are staying at the Moore. We'll be in Seattle for 5 days. Looking for ideas of things to do/see while there. No suggestion is too obvious. Just let 'er fly. 

Thanks in advance! 
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,829
    Have fun. We went once to see pj. Did easy street (bring a sharpie if you see MM or anyone); Pikes brewery (got some food a beer); fish market; went to 10c headquarters (rang the buzzer, they were nice and found a nice way to tell me to go away!) Sure they are used to an occasional oddball stalking the joint.  get coffee; we werent there long enough.
  • Options
    Can you still visit London Bridge Studios where they recorded Ten? I went there a few years ago and it was brilliant, although (at the time at least) a very basic / no frills tour of the studio. Coolest part was seeing the guest book from back then with doodles and signatures from Andrew Wood, Layne Stayley etc. Very cool. MoPOP and Easy Street for sure. Space Needle, Pike Place, and a tour of the Seahawks stadium were all great too. Enjoy!
  • Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 307
    I have an aunt that lives out there and when I went out for the 2018 home shows we spent an afternoon at Snogualmie Falls. I think it may be a state park or something but it was beautiful. I may be wrong but I’m thinking it was less than an hour drive.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,511
    Can you still visit London Bridge Studios where they recorded Ten? I went there a few years ago and it was brilliant, although (at the time at least) a very basic / no frills tour of the studio. Coolest part was seeing the guest book from back then with doodles and signatures from Andrew Wood, Layne Stayley etc. Very cool. MoPOP and Easy Street for sure. Space Needle, Pike Place, and a tour of the Seahawks stadium were all great too. Enjoy!
    We were stationed on Whidbey Island in the 90’s. I wish MoPOP had been there when we were. 
  • Options
    MoPop is the only "touristy" thing I recommend.

Discovery Park is nice - lovely trails and sunset views. Also the location for the Hunger Strike video. Give yourself at least half a day and go all the way to the lighthouse if you go there.

Carkeek Park is another urban park / beach which has a Chris Cornell connection - he grew up in North Seattle and used to go there a lot.

Off Ramp Cafe (where PJ played their first show) is now called El Corazon - see if you can catch a show there.

Linda's Tavern is a nice old-timey bar. Kinda morbid history because it's supposed to be the last place Cobain was seen. But the bar itself is really good.

Ray's Boathouse and Cafe has excellent food, particularly if you like seafood. It's also where Chris Cornell used to work before SG took off.

• Options

Carkeek Park is another urban park / beach which has a Chris Cornell connection - he grew up in North Seattle and used to go there a lot.

Woah I did not know that about Carkeek Park, I go there all the time when I visit as friends live just up the hill, very cool, great area.

I'm also a fan of Gasworks Park late evening as the sun sets over the city, take some food and enjoy the views. Has a tentative PJ connection as it was supposed to be the location for Drop In The Park until it was cancelled and moved to Magnusson Park.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,038
    edited March 2022
    Yes, Gasworks park!  Such a cool place and view.

I'm a big fan of the Ballard Locks.  Watch the ships come in and out.  See the salmon ladder down below.

This may sound cheesy but I did enjoy it, they have these Argosy boat tours that take you around the sound and tell a history of the area.  Very informative.

Edit: MoPop museum to see the PJ exhibit.  That is a must see.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,829
     i wanna go now!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I was in Seattle for the Earthlings show last month and had a great time, as usual.

I agree with all of the recommendations for MoPOP. Between the fixed exhibits and the special exhibits there is something for pretty much everyone, and of course especially if you are interested in the Seattle music scene. The PJ exhibit is a little tricky to find, up on the third floor tucked in a corner, but very well worth it. The Nirvana/general 90s music scene exhibit is separate and also good.

I like the Olympic sculpture park as a beautiful, peaceful break from the busyness of sightseeing, and it's very convenient, about a 15 minute walk from the Space Needle/MoPOP area. It's part of the Seattle Art Museum but it's free. 

Wild Ginger restaurant, also right downtown, is highly recommended. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    thank you so much folks for all the recommendations! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited March 2022
    I like historical stuff. If you do too, try the Underground Tour (there is one for adults in the evening too), and I thought the Gold Rush museum was really good for a small museum that is (or was) donation-only entry. Both of these are downtown Seattle around Pioneer Square. And yeah, like everyone said, you can't skip MoPOP, it's really cool.
    For food, there is a really good BBQ place called Hole in the Wall (and it is!). For lunch only, since they just sell until they run out, which usually happens before 2pm.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Go see the Stalin statue and have a taco there.
  • Options
    lenin
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like historical stuff. If you do too, try the Underground Tour (there is one for adults in the evening too), and I thought the Gold Rush museum was really good for a small museum that is (or was) donation-only entry. Both of these are downtown Seattle around Pioneer Square. And yeah, like everyone said, you can't skip MoPOP, it's really cool.
    For food, there is a really good BBQ place called Hole in the Wall (and it is!). For lunch only, since they just sell until they run out, which usually happens before 2pm.
    thanks!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lenin
    Same thing to me, lol.
  • Options
    and where one of my favourite bands (The Watchmen) recorded Silent Radar. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What's crazy is I was eating tacos from a street car around that time right there.  I missed them...
  • Options
    we leave in 4 days and I haven't planned a damn thing. parents getting covid then dad having a heart attack threw the trip into question, but now that my sister stepped up, it's back on. hope I can find the time to visit all these places in 3 full days plus two partials. 

easy street records
    pikes brewery
    fish market
    london bridge studios
    mopop
    space needle
    seahawks stadium
    snogualmie falls
    discovery park
    off ramp cafe/el corazon
    linda's tavern
    ray's boathouse cafe
    gasworks park at sunset
    ballard locks
    olympic sculpture park
    wild ginger restaurant
    hole in the wall
    underground tour
    studio litho
    experience music museum
    jimi hendrix grave
    j & m card room
    central saloon
    A Sound Garden

yeah, that looks more like the itinerary for a 2 week stay. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,511
    we leave in 4 days and I haven't planned a damn thing. parents getting covid then dad having a heart attack threw the trip into question, but now that my sister stepped up, it's back on. hope I can find the time to visit all these places in 3 full days plus two partials. 

easy street records
    pikes brewery
    fish market
    london bridge studios
    mopop
    space needle
    seahawks stadium
    snogualmie falls
    discovery park
    off ramp cafe/el corazon
    linda's tavern
    ray's boathouse cafe
    gasworks park at sunset
    ballard locks
    olympic sculpture park
    wild ginger restaurant
    hole in the wall
    underground tour
    studio litho
    experience music museum
    jimi hendrix grave
    j & m card room
    central saloon
    A Sound Garden

There are boat tours of the Pugent Sound that are pretty cool. We were stationed on Whidbey Island for a few years and the view while taking the ferries to get to places was beautiful. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238

easy street records
    pikes brewery
    fish market
    london bridge studios
    mopop
    space needle
    seahawks stadium
    snogualmie falls
    discovery park
    off ramp cafe/el corazon
    linda's tavern
    ray's boathouse cafe
    gasworks park at sunset
    ballard locks
    olympic sculpture park
    wild ginger restaurant
    hole in the wall
    underground tour
    studio litho
    experience music museum
    jimi hendrix grave
    j & m card room
    central saloon
    A Sound Garden

Sorry to hear about your folks. Best wishes for your dad to have a full and speedy recovery.
    Just do as many things as you can, maybe prioritize the list and hit areas where you can check off multiple items in a single visit.
    Either way, have some well deserved fun and enjoy yourself.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Wife now has a cold....tested negative for covid twice. this trip is fucking doomed. lol. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Poncier said:

easy street records
    pikes brewery
    fish market
    london bridge studios
    mopop
    space needle
    seahawks stadium
    snogualmie falls
    discovery park
    off ramp cafe/el corazon
    linda's tavern
    ray's boathouse cafe
    gasworks park at sunset
    ballard locks
    olympic sculpture park
    wild ginger restaurant
    hole in the wall
    underground tour
    studio litho
    experience music museum
    jimi hendrix grave
    j & m card room
    central saloon
    A Sound Garden

Sorry to hear about your folks. Best wishes for your dad to have a full and speedy recovery.
    Just do as many things as you can, maybe prioritize the list and hit areas where you can check off multiple items in a single visit.
    Either way, have some well deserved fun and enjoy yourself.

all is well with the folks right now, thanks! 

I've whittled the list down quite a bit, and dotted the important things on google maps; most things we want to see are in close proximity. would love to go on a boat tour to see some marine life if possible. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    I discovered that Hole in the Wall is temporarily closed because of COVID fallout or something. Boooo! No excellent BBQ for you.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I discovered that Hole in the Wall is temporarily closed because of COVID fallout or something. Boooo! No excellent BBQ for you.
    yeah, when planning my destinations on google maps I saw that too. I was quite disappointed. it looked and sounded SO good. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    arrived yesterday. so far:

copacabana for a late lunch
    walked all around pike place
    today we went to Biscuit Bitch for breakfast (it's literally next door to our hotel)
    skyview observatory after that
    took the ferry to Bainbridge Island
    lunch/happy hour at The Plate and The Pint
    now just chillin in the hotel room (8pm seattle time) wondering if we have the energy to go back out. 

holy shit this place is a difficult place to walk for a fat guy, especially one who is used to the prairies. lol. I don't recall ever walking at such an angle before. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Great city to run.  Hills are ass kicking

Sushi Kashiba, at the sushi bar, omakase, for one of the better meals you'll find.  We pigged out and it was amazing.

Also, there is a poke place downstairs at the market which reminds one of poke in Hawaii, it is so good.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    See if you can go to Bremerton.  It's where the old ships get put out of service and sold to Gillette, lol.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    arrived yesterday. so far:

copacabana for a late lunch
    walked all around pike place
    today we went to Biscuit Bitch for breakfast (it's literally next door to our hotel)
    skyview observatory after that
    took the ferry to Bainbridge Island
    lunch/happy hour at The Plate and The Pint
    now just chillin in the hotel room (8pm seattle time) wondering if we have the energy to go back out. 

holy shit this place is a difficult place to walk for a fat guy, especially one who is used to the prairies. lol. I don't recall ever walking at such an angle before. 

Just think of it as practice for your next trip to San Francisco ;)

You've done lots of fun stuff so far - I'm jealous.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf