The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Greatest coach in the history of the city, for all sports...pro and college.

He looked tired this year but went out with his best coaching performance ever. Thanks for an amazing run, Jay. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711

He looked tired this year but went out with his best coaching performance ever. Thanks for an amazing run, Jay. 

Yeah i would agree with that. Only other coach that might come close would be Andy Reid, but he never won the big one for us.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Yeah i would agree with that. Only other coach that might come close would be Andy Reid, but he never won the big one for us.
    Fred Shero won two cups so only one with the titles to match Jay.   Never thought I’d see a better Big 5 coach than Chaney but the titles give the edge to Jay. I think Chaney had a tougher road because college hoops in the 90s was hellacious since most guys hung around unlike these days.  But two titles and a total of four final fours is an amazing run for Jay.  Good luck to Neptune trying to follow that up. 
    edited April 2022

Therein lies the difference.

4 Final Fours and 2 championships...plus, other than his first few years and a couple years after the first Final Four, he basically had a team that could contend for a deep run every year for a two decade stretch. Just an unbelievable run, especially considering the shape the program was in when he took over.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Obviously my bias would pick Chaney but Jay Wright was a hell of a coach for sure. Hope he is happy whatever he's doing.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I was gonna say, his statement technically didn’t say he was retiring, all the reports just did 
    I was gonna say, his statement technically didn’t say he was retiring, all the reports just did 
    Today was the first time he has mentioned possibly be interested in coaching in NBA at some point.   Wonder if when Rivers gets fired after Sixers flame out if he would take that job so soon after leaving nova.  
    No way he goes to the NBA next year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    2 incoming Frosh for Nova.

USA in the Gold Medal game VS Brazil tonight

I think Brown is a really good "get" for St. Joe's.

edited August 2022
    St. Joes with another GOOD signing with this player(I haven't seen him live,  but saw quite a few games on Stream when he was at Life Center Academy)

Chose SJ over Maryland, Xavier, Butler, Arizona St. and UNLV.

One thing I'd be concerned about: Will he STAY at St. Joes as he's been at 3 High Schools, and might be a 4th for this year)

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/1236407

Post edited by cutz on
    edited August 2022
    cutz said:
    St. Joes with another GOOD signing with this player(I haven't seen him live,  but saw quite a few games on Stream when he was at Life Center Academy)

Chose SJ over Maryland, Xavier, Butler, Arizona St. and UNLV.

One thing I'd be concerned about: Will he STAY at St. Joes as he's been at 3 High Schools, and might be a 4th for this year)

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/1236407

Simmons is originally from Philly.  I heard he has had 4 schools already. Great get.  Browns’ stepfather is an assistant on the staff so they had to close that one.  Best class in a long time for the Hawks.  Probably gives Lange    more time than he really deserves to this point.  He’s gotta start winning games and I don’t see a big jump this year with a really young backcourt. But with that class coming in I don’t see him out after next year which means they are gonna have to extend him.  Personally I think he should have been fired after last season after only winning 10 and losing to freaking LaSalle 3x. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    I'd like to see Simmons play at a Local HS, so I can see him in person. What games I did see on Stream, I was really impressed. He had a really good game against Camden a couple of years ago.

Anthony Finkley  needs to get in shape. Last 2 times I saw him(April & June) he was out of shape. One reason is , he wasn't eligible to play when he transfered to Roman from Huntington Prep and couldn't play for quite sometime. 

I liked Brown when I saw him play as a Frosh. 

How long has Lange been at SJ?
    cutz said:
    I'd like to see Simmons play at a Local HS, so I can see him in person. What games I did see on Stream, I was really impressed. He had a really good game against Camden a couple of years ago.

Anthony Finkley  needs to get in shape. Last 2 times I saw him(April & June) he was out of shape. One reason is , he wasn't eligible to play when he transfered to Roman from Huntington Prep and couldn't play for quite sometime. 

He's 22-60 in 3 years.  Expected progress last year and it just didn't transfer into wins.  I think some of that was Jordan Hall was kind of out the door and basically a dog but he had more talent than a 10-11 win team.  And just can't get over losing to LaSalle 3x. that's brutal.  I gave him pass on the 1st year since Phil burned it down and so many players left.  This year is going to be interesting.  Basically 2 freshman point guards in Christian Winborne and Lynn Greer III (played 1 semester at Dayton) along with Erik Reynolds. Reynolds had a really good freshman year and should be the top player this year.   Lange had a losing record at Navy (i know how hard it is but still) and is way under so far for the Hawks.  I just haven't seen enough to think he is the right guy.  Recruiting has been on the upswing so we shall see if he can be the guy.  The problem I have is he is most clearly going to be extended now which mean if he isn't the guy you are looking at 6 or 7 years for the wrong guy.  I 100% agreed with moving on from Phil but the payoff on that has sucked. 
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:

He's 22-60 in 3 years.  Expected progress last year and it just didn't transfer into wins.  I think some of that was Jordan Hall was kind of out the door and basically a dog but he had more talent than a 10-11 win team.  And just can't get over losing to LaSalle 3x. that's brutal.  I gave him pass on the 1st year since Phil burned it down and so many players left.  This year is going to be interesting.  Basically 2 freshman point guards in Christian Winborne and Lynn Greer III (played 1 semester at Dayton) along with Erik Reynolds. Reynolds had a really good freshman year and should be the top player this year.   Lange had a losing record at Navy (i know how hard it is but still) and is way under so far for the Hawks.  I just haven't seen enough to think he is the right guy.  Recruiting has been on the upswing so we shall see if he can be the guy.  The problem I have is he is most clearly going to be extended now which mean if he isn't the guy you are looking at 6 or 7 years for the wrong guy.  I 100% agreed with moving on from Phil but the payoff on that has sucked. 
    Damn, I knew it was a struggle but didn't realize it was that bad.

Yeah, they may give Lange some more years to see what he does with this incoming class next Season.
    Didn't realize the season started tonight, LaSalle vs Villanova.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Didn't realize the season started tonight, LaSalle vs Villanova.
    I love college hoops but this is just too damn early to start.  Should be closer to Thanksgiving for the start
    Likely a different outcome had Nova's two best players been on the court but, regardless.....congrats Johnny. Temple looks much improved to me this year. 

I miss Jay. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Likely a different outcome had Nova's two best players been on the court but, regardless.....congrats Johnny. Temple looks much improved to me this year. 

I miss Jay. 
    Want some cheese with that whine?  I really liked the Neptune timeout down 4 with .2 seconds left in the game.  Nova fans gonna turn on him quicker than you got….oh wait that might lead to being tattled on.  Never mind 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Bedlam on North Broad!

Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Bedlam on North Broad!

That's awesome. My buddy who went to Temple thinks its their biggest in maybe twenty years
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wow Nova hasn't looked good so far. Although three of their losses have come by 4 points or less, but still... :neutral:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Wow Nova hasn't looked good so far. Although three of their losses have come by 4 points or less, but still... :neutral:
    Difference between having a Hall of Fame coach and a coach in only his second season as a head coach anywhere.  I’m not shedding any tears for that fan base.  
    edited November 2022
    pjhawks said:
    Difference between having a Hall of Fame coach and a coach in only his second season as a head coach anywhere.  I’m not shedding any tears for that fan base.  
    True &

I know  St. Joe's fans are loving it right now. 

Nova does not have a Point Guard. Archidiacano is no PG, and plays way too much, even with Moore and Whitmore not playing. I'd give the underclassmen some PT and gain some experience. 
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    True &

Nova does not have a Point Guard. Archidiacano is no PG, and plays way too much, even with Moore and Whitmore not playing. I'd give the underclassmen some PT and gain some experience. 
    Armstrong should be playing point,  you can’t play young Arch 30 mins a night,  Slater seems to have not played well that I’ve seen although to be fair really only watched the Temple game and 2nd half today. 

Saw a tweet the other day that for like one day of was the first time ever all Big 5 teams had s losing record at the same time.  The other programs really need to step up their games 
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    True &

Yeah I would definitely play the young guys more. 

Can't end all seasons in the Final Four, fellas! Nova will be fine eventually. All good. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    True &

Armstrong should be playing point,  you can’t play young Arch 30 mins a night,  Slater seems to have not played well that I’ve seen although to be fair really only watched the Temple game and 2nd half today. 

Saw a tweet the other day that for like one day of was the first time ever all Big 5 teams had s losing record at the same time.  The other programs really need to step up their games 
    I agree that Armstrong should be playing more PG. 

I haven't seen every Nova game but I don't think Slater has played as well as he needs to. Especially with no Justin Moore and Cam Whitmore

If Archidiacano didn't have that last name, would he even be at Nova?

That's a crazy Stat about the Big 5.
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    True &

Can't end all seasons in the Final Four, fellas! Nova will be fine eventually. All good. 
    Yeah, Nova will be fine eventually, but what kind of record will they have when Moore & Whitmore are back?
    edited November 2022
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    True &

Yeah, Nova will be fine eventually, but what kind of record will they have when Moore & Whitmore are back?
    Who knows. I didn't necessarily mean this year. This is more of a transition season. Brand new coach and  missing their two best players seems like a perfect storm of poop. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2022
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    True &

Who knows. I didn't necessarily mean this year. This is more of a transition season. Brand new coach and  missing their two best players seems like a perfect storm of poop. 
    They've known since March Moore wasn't going to be available before January.   That can't be used as an excuse.  And Whitmore is a freshman so hard to say he is their 2nd best player when he has never played a game. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on