Options

Travelling to London, Anyone Advise Which Airport?

Whitey_22Whitey_22 Posts: 44
edited January 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
I'm only flying from Scotland, so which one's closest to Wembley? I've been told Stansted is closest, but would like some clarification. Preferably an airport where Ryanair or EasyJet go to so I can get 49p flights, lol.

Cheers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Not sure mate but i think london city airport could be closer. Best check on the web if you havent already but i gusse you have. I live next to gatwick and thats not close at all mate.
    Where all the good fools come

*Proud to be part of the Astorain crew*

#Lisbonnight#

@Wemberly07@

@MEN ARENA09@
  • Options
    Cool, thanks that's one eliminated lol.

I have tried the internet, but it's just a confusing mass of hits on Google.
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    There's the Gatwick express which takes you right to the center of London though...
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    as im just bored at home ive had a look on a few hotel sites near wembley and the majority (like 4 out of 5) have said heathrow is 9 miles away from wembley arena...............................their words not mine tho, just incase!!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Whitey_22 wrote:
    I'm only flying from Scotland, so which one's closest to Wembley? I've been told Stansted is closest, but would like some clarification. Preferably an airport where Ryanair or EasyJet go to so I can get 49p flights, lol.

Cheers.

Locality Information
    Near To: Wembley, Neasden, Alperton, Hendon, Harrow, Perivale
    Airports Served: Heathrow Airport (9.2 miles, 14.9 km), London City Airport (14.9 miles, 24 km), Luton Airport (22.6 miles, 36.4 km), Gatwick Airport (28.2 miles, 45.5 km), Stansted Airport (32.9 miles, 53 km)

off the wembley plaza hotel site.
  • Options
    When i lived in Scotland I flew down to London with easyjet which was very cheap and to Stansted airport.

However, if you;re going to do this, bear in mind that you will need to get the stansted express train to London which is another £30 return.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    yeah, heathrow is the nearest, but if you want an easyjet or ryanair flight, stansted or luton.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    When i lived in Scotland I flew down to London with easyjet which was very cheap and to Stansted airport.

However, if you;re going to do this, bear in mind that you will need to get the stansted express train to London which is another £30 return.
    use the regular trains (same with Gatwick), it's half that price...and you don't have to go all the way to Liverpool St/Victoria, which depending where you're going afterwards might make it far easier.

I find it surprising that Stansted is further form Wembley than Gatwick though..Stansted is NE, Gatwick S/SW and Wembley NW (so is Luton but further out).
  • Options
    I'm in Basildon, England at the moment... my first time in the UK. I flew into Gatwick and thought it was kinda dirty, not very well laid out (small place but lots of walking), and the rental car took an hour to get the keys.

But thats just one guy's first impression... maybe I was just pissed coming over here on a red eye and not being able to take a single hour for sight-seeing!!!

Cheers.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,240
    Flybe aren't the cheapest but I believe they do fly from Edinburgh into London City Airport.

Shame PJ can't play Edinburgh, saw the Pixies there in 2005 at Meadowbank Stadium and had a great time!
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    I'm right in the middle of Glasgow and Prestwick airports, so would rather fly from there anyway. I can get Prestwick to Stansted for about £50 return or Glasgow to Heathrow for £80 return. Best going for Stansted and getting a train into the city centre?
  • Options
    judgin from the post above where they said they had to get a £30 return when travelling to stansted i would of thought heathrow would be best cos the price adds up to the same but with less fuckin about on trains! just my opinion, for what thats worth.............
  • Options
    Whitey_22 wrote:
    I'm right in the middle of Glasgow and Prestwick airports, so would rather fly from there anyway. I can get Prestwick to Stansted for about £50 return or Glasgow to Heathrow for £80 return. Best going for Stansted and getting a train into the city centre?
    get to Heathrow and take the tube (buy an Oyster card and the trip from there to central London is 'bout £2.50 off-peak).
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    get to Heathrow and take the tube (buy an Oyster card and the trip from there to central London is 'bout £2.50 off-peak).

That's what I'm doing!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    Yielded wrote:
    That's what I'm doing!
    you'd be looking at a good hour on the tube though that way.......i'd go in through luton..........thameslink it down to West Hampstead or Hendon and go from there....saves sitting on a cruddy piccadilly line train
  • Options
    darkhelmet wrote:
    you'd be looking at a good hour on the tube though that way.......i'd go in through luton..........thameslink it down to West Hampstead or Hendon and go from there....saves sitting on a cruddy piccadilly line train

Well, my flights are already booked... I'll spend an hour on the tube then, I'm sure I'll survive.
  • Options
    darkhelmet wrote:
    instead of 1 hour on the train you mean?

but yeah, Luton is not a bad option as it's the same way..but Gatwick or Stansted are not.

Saying that, I might have to land at Stansted to come back from Vienna :(
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dont listen to all these london folks Whitey.... they are all high on coke probably :)

go to bmi baby and book brilliant flights from glasgow - heathrow all in for £71!!!

i just did a quote just now and Heathrow is most central airport there!!

run laddie run :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dont listen to all these london folks Whitey.... they are all high on coke probably :)

haha classic!!!!!!
  • Options
    djwattdjwatt Posts: 6
    all london airports can be a pain to land in and get into town, it all depends on timing, so i'd say just get the cheapest flight you can and go to wherever airport it goes to
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    If you wanna go by Ryanair or Easyjet then you need to fly into either Stansted or Luton.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'll keep repeating it!!!

Glasgow-London Heathrow via BMIBaby for £71 return!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    and you could fly Glasgow to Heathrow with BMI (http://www.flybmi.com as well as BMIbaby) from £62 return incl. tax depending on day/time of travel
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    darkhelmet wrote:

Getting from luton to london is a pain... just fly to heathrow and get the tube into any station u want in central london. By FAR the easiest option here.
  • Options
    Right, thanks guys. My mate's putting the flights on his account, so I've text him with the details of Glasgow - Heathrow with BMI and we'll probably be booking them tonight when he's back from uni.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Coming in on the Eurostar from Paris. Is the London station for that in the middle of town?
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    Coming in on the Eurostar from Paris. Is the London station for that in the middle of town?

Pretty much. You come in to Waterloo (on the Northern, Bakerloo, Jubilee and Waterloo and City tube lines) if you look just below the river and in the middle of this tube map you should find it :)http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con_2007.pdf

Wembley is NW corner zone 4
  • Options
    Damn BMI Baby is much more expensive from Dublin to Heathrow than last year .. was just checkin out flights there now.
    Aer Lingus I reckon it will be this time ...
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    Damn BMI Baby is much more expensive from Dublin to Heathrow than last year .. was just checkin out flights there now.
    Aer Lingus I reckon it will be this time ...

Don't know if this is the case but I know BMI (don't know about BMI baby) have changed there website so it includes taxes from the start rather than adding them at the end which may be why they look more expensive :o
  • Options
    Oh right, i must double check it again so! Thanks!
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!