Options

gardening

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited May 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
who loves it?
:D

i soooo love working in my garden. i spent most of the weekend doing so. all the hanging baskets, window boxes and pots.....all planted/mulched. planted the veggie garden, cleaned out all the flower beds, more mulch. everything planted and *set* for the summer season....table....bbq....hammock...adirondacks...porch swing. all good! :cool:

i am so NOT a pink person, but my two exceptions: pink lipstick and FLOWERS! love pink flowers. hanging baskets have fuschia petunias, window boxes medium pink impatiens with sweet potato vine. various pots with deep pink geraniums, begonias...ivies...lamium.

veggie garden: 6 different varieties of peppers from habeneros to red bells, japanese eggplant, roma tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini and cucumbers.

what flowers and/or veggies did you plant? what do you like?

oh, and the pond has 10 new little godfishies. :D
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    damn...

nobody?
    :o

hmpf.
    :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I love gardening. Soon time to put the geranium tubs out.
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    I love gardens...although I'm not very skilled as a gardner :o I love flowers and plants...although I don't really know the names of most of them. I usually go to the nursery...see what they have and if they're supposed to grow in shade/sun/etc and give it a go. I've kept it pretty low maintenance...a lot of flowering bushes, bulbs and perrineals, although I'll be damned if I can name them (I know I have azaleas, rhododendrums, a hydrangea and that's about all I can name) :o I have a few hanging plants on the porch...never did window boxes, but always wanted them.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    i'm starting to really get into gardening...and for some reason I really enjoy weeding. ?

last weekend i planted about thirty assorted flowers -- lots of pinks! :) i'm really excited to watch the clematis grow...and see the sunflowers in august!

i also added chives, early girl and cherry tomatoes, and jalapenos to the mix.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    OK...WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS MISSY????

Your yard is always STUNNING!!!

My goldfish had their own babies last year! I'm a proud grandma!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    roar wrote:
    i'm starting to really get into gardening...and for some reason I really enjoy weeding. ?

last weekend i planted about thirty assorted flowers -- lots of pinks! i'm really excited to watch the clematis grow...and see the sunflowers in august!

i also added chives, early girl and cherry tomatoes, and jalapenos to the mix.

i do too! :o
    it's therapeutic on some level, i think.
    i also find the more i garden, the more i love it...and sure the better i get at it. better choices, plans, etc. i come from a design background so it's almost like planning colors for a painting, planning space just for outside. ahhhhhhh.....in another life i'd go for a horticultural degree and become a landscape designer. or at least i'd get the degree/knowledge. ;) hahaha. i already have plenty of degrees not being utlized really for this lifetime.

we LOVE hot peppers - we have 6 peppers this year:
    jalapeno
    serrano chili
    habanero
    red bell
    and, errr...2 others i can't think of their names....:o

as to pics, i haven't taken any yet! :eek: i know, i know...how unlike me! that may be my one *plan* for this weekend. i got a brand spanking new digital true SLR for my bday...in november...and have yet to break it out! sooo LONG overdue to give it a workout, and absolutely, photograph this years garden.

as to the fishies...quite honestly, i was ready to have a fish-free pond due to all the fish lost to birds eating them off. :( now, i sadly just don't name em...and we get tiny little goldfish and see what happens. not nearly as fun as it used to be, but eh well.......i still love having a pond.

oh and as far as herbs...chives and lavender....and every year i add basil, cilantro and rosemary.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Do you put floating plants in the pond? I buy Water lettuce and it spreads all over the surface of the pond giving my fish lots of cover. I have 8 adults and they all laid eggs a week ago. I have two babies that spent the Winter in my turtle take.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I love growing vegetables... but I live in the city:( That's why I make it a point to stop by my parent's house around this time of year and set up their garden. Last year I dug up their ground and added all sorts of different types of soil, fertilizer, compost, earthworms, etc. I totally thought I made it too acidic, but their crop yield was amazing!! I got so many thank you calls from my mom telling me about the salad they were about to enjoy:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Trailer wrote:
    I love growing vegetables... but I live in the city:( That's why I make it a point to stop by my parent's house around this time of year and set up their garden. Last year I dug up their ground and added all sorts of different types of soil, fertilizer, compost, earthworms, etc. I totally thought I made it too acidic, but their crop yield was amazing!! I got so many thank you calls from my mom telling me about the salad they were about to enjoy:D

Want to come over and garden for me? :p I could serve you some iced-tea ;)

d2d, can't wait to SEE your garden in person!!! :)
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Want to come over and garden for me? :p I could serve you some iced-tea ;)

Iced tea?? Make it a sixer of beer and we've got a deal:p:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    The coffeehouse that i worked for the last year and a half had a nice garden.
    At first it didn't really interest me much, but more and more I found myself drawn to it. Now, I want my own garden!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    I live in L.A. - the only real gardens I see in my neighborhood are few & far between, at least on my block. I decided to green up my patio space, like I did for the past few years & add a few more plants/trees/flowers. The response is encouraging. I've seen so many critters this spring, it's inspired me to keep planting. If you have the time to notice, you'll discover how much your little patch of green is appreciated.....I've seen mourning doves, hummingbirds, house sparrows, house finches, blue jays, crows, mockingbirds, bees, hornets, squirrels, ladybugs, butterflies, moths, hover flies, carpenter bees & maybe a few more I can't recall visit my tiny space. I'm not even a "green thumb" kind of gardener. I planted a lot of native species & the critters just know where to find them. I also put out a wild bird seed mix. I think urban gardens are so important as a corridor for biodiversity...I encourage all of you to do whatever you can in your space to attract wildlife. They really need our help & if your neighborhood is anything like mine, the song of a bird is so much more welcome than the shrill of a siren or a car alarm......:-) I might plant some veggies too, if I figure out how to avoid last years' failures....! Only 2 tiny tomatoes...:-(
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    yep... i have my hanging baskets of fuschias, another with dark pink and purple million bells, and another with purple wave petunias and lavender. in other containers i have geraniums, purple lobelia, and one that has three different flowers in it.

i don't have alot of room in my flower beds. the black and white tulips are dying out but blooming in those right now are irises, and of course my lilac bushes one purple, one white (they smell heavenly) the lavender is coming in thick and the two different shades of purple rose bushes will be blooming soon.
    i have in a couple of big containers one grape tomato plant and one yellow pear tomoto plant

I have another container that had pansies and violas in it but the neighborhood brazen doe came up and ate them the other day. but just yesterday i looked out the wiondow across the street and i saw a doe(not sure if its the same one) and she had a brand new baby....it was so adorable...awwww :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Trailer wrote:
    Iced tea?? Make it a sixer of beer and we've got a deal: p: D

Deal ;):D

But I am going to watch you garden... and look out my neighborhood is full of BUNNIES ;):p
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Do you put floating plants in the pond? I buy Water lettuce and it spreads all over the surface of the pond giving my fish lots of cover. I have 8 adults and they all laid eggs a week ago. I have two babies that spent the Winter in my turtle take.

oxc

we've done water hyacinth in the past, but i also like to SEE my fish! :p thing is tho, our pond is in a mostly shaded spot, so not too many plants do all that well growing in there. we've had water lilies in the past, but now the tree has grown too much, thus too much shade for them to do well. :o

perhaps we'll give water lettuce a go. thanks for the tip! :)

nice to see some many enjoy gardening and/or appreciating em anyway...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    I'm working in my garden this weekend!!!!!!! :D

I love gardening! I'm still learning how to be successful at it, but I love it.
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:
    I'm working in my garden this weekend!!!!!!! :D

I love gardening! I'm still learning how to be successful at it, but I love it.

NICE!!!

it's addictive!
    ENJOY!
    :)

i am simply going to enjoy BEING in my garden this weekend...perhaps snap a photo or 2 as mentioned above...but otherwise, a trowel shall not enter my hands. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    NICE!!!

it's addictive!
    ENJOY!
    :)

i am simply going to enjoy BEING in my garden this weekend...perhaps snap a photo or 2 as mentioned above...but otherwise, a trowel shall not enter my hands. :p

I will. It is pretty simple right now....I have 4 tomato plants, sugar peas, cabbages, spinich, swiss chard, parsley, onion, carrosts, arugala, oregano, sage, rosemary, mint, basil, chives, and a few other things.

I also planted some sunflowers. :)

My herb garden is great! My vegetables are not doing so well. :( I think my tomatos are doing pretty good though! I've also just picked all my radishes, some did well, some did not.

For my cool weather vegetables, I should have started them earlier from seed in a little miniature greenhouse and moved them to the garden...I will try that next year.
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    No garden for me, but a loggia and living room filled with plants. I take good care of my green friends and make new plants too.
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    AndyMandersonAndyManderson Posts: 167
    I long for the days to get out of an apartment and into a house just so I can have a garden
  • Options
    seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    I long for the days to get out of an apartment and into a house just so I can have a garden

I hear that! You can still put plants in containers, tho. Most of mine are & it's looking good back there on the patio......;-)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I like my yards but I'm more often trimming the hedges, mowing the lawn, raking leaves, etc., than anything else.

My back yard has three enormous trees that tend to eventually kill everything I plant beneath them.

This year I'm trying to keep the flowers alive by choosing hardy and shade-loving ones...some Lily of the valley and violets. Wish me luck! :p

I'm also focusing on re-seeding the lawn and keeping the weeds out! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    These people were doing some inside gardening. Too bad they got busted.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=753746
  • Options
    rockfordrockford Posts: 150
    Jams was nice enough to photograph the garden at my new house in West Seattle... Thanks Lisa. :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/adelicateflower/GregsGardenMay08

Just put in some hot peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and basil today. I don't know what'll do well out here so I'm trying a bit of everything.
    rock musik rockar röv.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Anyone start yet? Dropped some seeds in. Beets, turnips, carrots, peas, (lettuce inside). Always love this time of year.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    Got four types of hot peppers and four types of tomatoes going inside, will start hardening soon.  My girlfriend bought a house so we'll be figuring out where to put the garden and compost when we move in a month; strangely excited for that.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Yep. I became an old italian gardener overnight. Be careful!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,948
    Im in. There is a thread  on gardening i used to post in. Can't  recall its title.  But ive been growing/gardening  a few years now. Its really liberating 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    Im in. There is a thread  on gardening i used to post in. Can't  recall its title.  But ive been growing/gardening  a few years now. Its really liberating 
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/206276/whats-growing-the-official-garden-thread