Options

Best Show of the past 2 years?

MatchesMatches Posts: 12
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are about the last two years. What shows were just above and beyond good? (For other reasons than that was one you were at live.) Whether it be set lists or just a standout jam or a rare cover, I wouldn't mind hearing about it. Basically, I want to pick up a few new shows and just looking for some hints on the truly great ones.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I think Borgata 2 was real good show. Nice setlist. I listen to that show almost every day.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Borgata 2
    HOB Chcago (just cause of Mr. Plant)
    Gorge 2005
    Grand Rapids
    Boston 2
    Gorge 1 2006

out of theses ones...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Ottawa '05
  • Options
    Top 10 off the top of my head:

1. Gorge 7/22/06
    2. Ottawa '05
    3. Philly '05
    4. SD '06
    5. Grand Rapids '06
    6. Boston 2 '06
    7. Santa Barbara '06
    8. Milan '06
    9. Continental Arena '06
    10. SF 1 '06

Those are the setlists I remember really well.
  • Options
    Ottawa was pretty damn good. Portland was damn decent. Ohhh, I could go on, for now I'll leave it at that.

Both Gorge shows were tight... being there might make me a bit biased, but still. And on that note, San Diego was pretty good.

Other honorable mentions.... Calgary, London, maaaybe Halifax, Philly from last year, OH RIGHT the Nov. 25th Buenos Aires show was one of the most intest, highest-energy PJ shows EVER. For me it's kind of a meat-and-potatoes set, but it's played fucking well. Not a show to download if you like hearing as little as crowd as possible (see Portland).
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    2004:
    1. Reading
    2. Grand Rapids

2005:
    1. Gorge
    2. Philly
    3. Kitchener
    4. Vancouver
    5. Borgata 2
    6. Ottawa
    7. Borgata 1
    8. Calgary

2006:
    1. East Rutherford 2
    2. Gorge 2
    3. Gorge 1
    4. San Diego
    5. San Fran 3
    6. Grand Rapids
    7. Camden 1
    8. San Fran 2
    9. Boston 1
    10. Boston 2
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Out of the ones listed, why do they stand out to you? Don't care which one is best, but which one had something to make it stand out. Rare songs, amazing versions, good words from the band, etc? Just curious the reasons behind why you say those shows.
  • Options
    ottawa was sick...
  • Options
    Reading, Crown of Thorns!!!! Made my NIGHT!!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Matches wrote:
    Out of the ones listed, why do they stand out to you? Don't care which one is best, but which one had something to make it stand out. Rare songs, amazing versions, good words from the band, etc? Just curious the reasons behind why you say those shows.

gorge cause the band played 2 nights in a row in 115 degrees with 30 songs per night.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    My pick would be Grand Rapids.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Boston 01 05-24-2006
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Of the ones I've heard, San Diego and Gorge I from this year. The HOB show with plant is good, but I would have liked for them to have rocked it out a little more with some Heartbreaker or Black Dog or something....I fear the show did not live up to its classic potential
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Marseille for me, just because of the amout of rarities played :)

Also Pistoia because I got to hear Spin the Black Circle and SOLAT live :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Of the ones I've heard, San Diego and Gorge I from this year. The HOB show with plant is good, but I would have liked for them to have rocked it out a little more with some Heartbreaker or Black Dog or something....I fear the show did not live up to its classic potential
    the bootleg is pretty damn good.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Boston 01 05-24-2006

Yes, thank you! Even though Leash was unleashed on night 2, the band was phenomenal throughout the whole show of night 1. Easily my favorite out of the shows I've heard from this tour, and my second favorite show that I've attended. Boston 2 '98 being #1.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Ottawa 05 - Stone sang Don't Gimme No Lip, with Ed on guitar (Stone: "bridge, baby bridge"), they did Bee Girl. Opened with Wash, which I absolutely love, sang Harvest Moon with Sleater Kinney.

Reading 04: First apperance of Sad; a killing rendition of Masters of War; loved the covers they did that tour - Bleed for Me and The American in Me.

Toledo - 04: Neil. Nuff said.

Albany 06 - the reappearance of Rats AND Satan's Bed - how the 10club floor people including us went wild as we heard Rats starting up.

These would be my 4 favorite shows out of the 17 I've been at in the last 2 years.

I don't want to have seen my last PJ show for the next 2-3 years!!!!!!! I miss them already.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I didn't attend any shows this year, but going by the bootlegs for sale, the Santa Barbara show outranks both nights of The Gorge 2006 in my opinion (though not combined; you just asked for ONE show). I can't explain it, but they just tapped into something in the air that night. Pretty spot on, and the audience is pretty restrained for the evening. It's not all acoustic (just for a few songs), but M-E-L-L-O-W. That's a unique vibe to a Pearl Jam show, since most are just bursting at the seams with energetic impulses...

2005's best show was probably The Gorge, great value and performance, but of the few boots I have I really like to listen to Quebec City. It's such a mess, the sound of a band hung over from hanging out and drinking with U2 the night before. It's also the only time "Sometimes" was played that year. Also great performances of "Man of the Hour", "Crazy Mary", "Footsteps" and "I Am Mine" in the first encore.

"Sometimes" so far has only been played once this year... opener for night #2 of San Francisco, where Eddie flubs the words and the show comes to a dead halt. It's funny, but I imagine it frustrated a lot of people who bought the boot. They probably just skip the track. It's still a helluva show.

So... I'm hoping they get around to playing the other fuckin' half of my song sometime this year. I don't have anything to bargain with, so I'm just going to form a pact here on the board. In the off chance that the band does play it at least once more this year, I'll consider trying to do something about my physical health. Going for walks, getting muscle tissue in shape and see if it doesn't help the pain in my legs. Really working the things, retroactive physical therapy.

Not so worried about my arms, but if it ever comes to fight or flight I'd like at least ONE alternative. Flight is so much more peaceful, anyway. But before I can learn to fly, I gotta learn to walk again. I can waste away or I can attempt something new.

Anyway, what do we look forward to?
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Haven't heard too much 06 yet, so I'll just stick to this top 5 in no order:

05: Kitchener/London/Ottawa/Halifax/Mexico City II
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    Borgata 1 - I got tickets off of Ticketmaster, I got to hear SOLAT, WMA tags, I Got Shit, Once, Ed intoduced Small Town for "Anyone from Ithaca, Utica or Poughkeepsie" (I went to Ithaca College and grew up an hour north of Utica) plus I was about 20 feet from stage! I was SO CLOSE, it was like a dream!

Reading PA was great, despite the crazy town. I loved hearing Masters of War.

Albany 2006 kicked my ass. Satan's Bed + Rats! Hootie Hooo!!!!

Saratoga 2000 - In My Tree!!!, Everyone keeping BAD TIME to Soon Forget, funny stuff. Beautiful Venue for a georgous night. Right after I graduated college.

Hershey, just because of the Mosquito Bites comment. Such a funny comment. Bad venue, beautiful moon though. Had a great time. Funny stories from that evening.

Have so many great memories of shows. Have to say Borgata Night 1 was my favorite.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    Leeds was awesome, PJ in my back garden and all...Paris was spectacular.............i don't think PJ know how to do a 'bad show'/........loved hearing whipping, Hail Hail, SOLAT at Leeds....awesome

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • Options
    fuck cincy..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    for all who werent there with me.....san diego 06.....a religious experience!!!!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    bacchanal wrote:
    for all who werent there with me.....san diego 06.....a religious experience!!!!

I was there with you friend!! It was AMAZING!! Everytime I listen to the boot I get all excited all over again :)
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    best show?

rent.
  • Options
    Toledo 2004!!!!! Come on Neil Young, small venue, great set list, and all on a Saturday night.

Those who attended the show that night were all very lucky people.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Gorge '05!!! But Portland '93 was awesome with Uncle Neil and Blind Melon.
    #FHP
  • Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    I met Ed wrote:
    I was there with you friend!! It was AMAZING!! Everytime I listen to the boot I get all excited all over again :)

I have the San Diego bootleg.. and I wish I had been there!! :)

Also, heard the Grand Rapids show and I like that a lot, as well as the Gorge and San Francisco shows - again from bootlegs. Fantastic shows!

I have now experienced Milano 2006 in person and let me tell you that show definitely matched any of these! Eddie had tears.. the whole place was so loud, so powerful, so good... it was insane! I hope the bootleg conveys how intense that show was! Downloading right now... :D
  • Options
    Philly '05
    check out the setlist.
    "Oh dear dad, can you see me now? I am myself, like you somehow."

CAMDEN 8.29.98{}CAMDEN 9.2.00{}SPECTRUM 4.28.03{}CAMDEN 7.5.03{}CAMDEN 7.6.03{}WACHOVIA 10.3.05{}CAMDEN 5.27.06{}CAMDEN 5.28.06{}CAMDEN 6.19.08{}CAMDEN 6.20.08{} MANSFIELD 6.28.08{}EV @ Tower Theater 6.12.09{}SPECTRUM 10.28.09{}SPECTRUM 10.30.09{}SPECTRUM (RIP) 10.31.09{}MSG 5.21.10{}EV @ Tower Theater 6.25.11{}Alpine Valley 9.3.11{}Alpine Valley 9.4.11