Bruce Willis quits acting due to aphasia

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited March 2022 in All Encompassing Trip

To Bruce’s amazing supporters, as a family we wanted to share that our beloved Bruce has been experiencing some health issues and has recently been diagnosed with aphasia, which is impacting his cognitive abilities. As a result of this and with much consideration Bruce is stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him.
This is a really challenging time for our family and we are so appreciative of your continued love, compassion and support. We are moving through this as a strong family unit, and wanted to bring his fans in because we know how much he means to you, as you do to him.
As Bruce always says, “Live it up” and together we plan to do just that.
Love,
Emma, Demi, Rumer, Scout, Tallulah, Mabel, & Evelyn
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Oh, so is that why he went bald, too?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    dankind said:
    I think you’re maybe confusing aphasia (a brain condition that Bruce has) with alopecia (which Jada Pinkett has that causes hair loss).  

The fact that this was posted by G.I. Jane herself (Demi Moore) just adds to the confusion. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    That's sad... but it also explains what the problem has been lately. I was literally googling "why can't Bruce Willis act anymore" about 3 days ago after seeing a couple of his recent movies. I was perplexed. So I definitely very much noticed something was wrong.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    dankind said:
    I think you’re maybe confusing aphasia (a brain condition that Bruce has) with alopecia (which Jada Pinkett has that causes hair loss).  

The fact that this was posted by G.I. Jane herself (Demi Moore) just adds to the confusion. 
    Too bad the joker smiley guy is missing these days.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's sad... but it also explains what the problem has been lately. I was literally googling "why can't Bruce Willis act anymore" about 3 days ago after seeing a couple of his recent movies. I was perplexed. So I definitely very much noticed something was wrong.

The rumour has been that he made as many of them "Geezer Teasers" as possible while he could, to gather money for his family.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    dankind said:

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Probably why the last Die Hard sucked so bad.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:

The rumour has been that he made as many of them "Geezer Teasers" as possible while he could, to gather money for his family.
    Puzzling to me that someone of his celebrity would need to "gather money" for his family. If he didn't make enough millions by now, a few more shouldn't really matter much.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Puzzling to me that someone of his celebrity would need to "gather money" for his family. If he didn't make enough millions by now, a few more shouldn't really matter much.
    I think I remember him being one of those guys who wasn't very good with managing his fortune. Maybe not to the level of an MC Hammer or Lenny Dykstra, but still....

Mo' money. Mo' problems.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2022
    Very sad, probably worse than Alzheimers. And at only 67. Actors and musicians I grew up with are that age now, where you start seeing the downhill part of life. Only so many days, you just really never know how many.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    tbergs said:
    Probably why the last Die Hard sucked so bad.
    They should have stopped at 3. But I don’t think Bruce is to blame for the last one.
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I read somewhere that that no matter how much someone makes, they always wish they make 10% more to feel secure.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    PJ_Soul said:

Holy mackerel. He's made over 30 movies... in the last 5 years

Wire Room (post-production)
    Shane Mueller
     2022Corrective Measures (post-production)
    Julius 'The Lobe' Loeb
     2022/IVendetta (completed)
    Donnie Fetter
     2022A Day to Die
    Police Chief Alston
     2022Gasoline Alley
    Det. Bill Freeman
     2021American Siege
    Ben Watts
     2021Fortress
    Robert
     2021/IIDeadlock
    Ron Whitlock
     2021Apex
    Malone
     2021Survive the Game
    David
     2021Out of Death
    Jack Harris
     2021Cosmic Sin
    James Ford
     2020/IVBreach
    Clay
     2020DieHard is Back (Short)
    John McClane
     2020Hard Kill
    Chalmers
     2019Trauma Center
    Lt. Steve Wakes
     2019Motherless Brooklyn
    Frank Minna
     2019The Orville (TV Series)
    Groogen
    Deflectors (2019) ... Groogen (voice, uncredited)
     2019The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
    Bruce Willis (voice)
     2019Glass
    David Dunn
     2018Air Strike
    Jack
     2018/IReprisal
    James
     2018Death Wish
    Paul Kersey
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Very sad news.  Willis seems like a good guy and he's done a lot of work, so this is very unfortunate.  And dammit, it just doesn't seem right for someone his age to have to deal with that.  I wish him well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited March 2022
    Well said @brianlux
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    PJ_Soul said:

Shane Mueller
    Julius 'The Lobe' Loeb
    Donnie Fetter
     2022A Day to Die
    Police Chief Alston
     2022Gasoline Alley
    Det. Bill Freeman
     2021American Siege
    Ben Watts
     2021Fortress
    Robert
     2021/IIDeadlock
    Ron Whitlock
     2021Apex
    Malone
     2021Survive the Game
    David
     2021Out of Death
    Jack Harris
     2021Cosmic Sin
    James Ford
     2020/IVBreach
    Clay
    John McClane
     2020Hard Kill
    Chalmers
     2019Trauma Center
    Lt. Steve Wakes
     2019Motherless Brooklyn
    Frank Minna
    Groogen
    Bruce Willis (voice)
     2019Glass
    David Dunn
     2018Air Strike
    Jack
     2018/IReprisal
    James
     2018Death Wish
    Paul Kersey
    And I haven't watched a one of them...
    PJ_Soul said:

Shane Mueller
    Julius 'The Lobe' Loeb
    Donnie Fetter
     2022A Day to Die
    Police Chief Alston
     2022Gasoline Alley
    Det. Bill Freeman
     2021American Siege
    Ben Watts
     2021Fortress
    Robert
     2021/IIDeadlock
    Ron Whitlock
     2021Apex
    Malone
     2021Survive the Game
    David
     2021Out of Death
    Jack Harris
     2021Cosmic Sin
    James Ford
     2020/IVBreach
    Clay
    John McClane
     2020Hard Kill
    Chalmers
     2019Trauma Center
    Lt. Steve Wakes
     2019Motherless Brooklyn
    Frank Minna
    Groogen
    Bruce Willis (voice)
     2019Glass
    David Dunn
     2018Air Strike
    Jack
     2018/IReprisal
    James
     2018Death Wish
    Paul Kersey
    And I haven't watched a one of them...
    I saw Between 2 Ferns
    edited March 2022
    PJ_Soul said:

I wouldnt guess that’s the best cash grab. Typically low-budget films that get big actors still don’t pay the big actor a lot. Just just accommodate the shooting schedule so they have them for a few weeks. That’s how It’s Always Sunny got Danny Devito. I believe they’d shoot his scenes for the entire season in a week or 2, then go back and film the rest.
    Committing to a couple big budget films I would think would pay off more. And I’m only guessing these are a string of low budgets since no one has heard of any of them, but that could be wrong.
    Motherless Brooklyn is one of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

The movie looks like a megalomaniac's hot celluloid mess that maybe shares some character names and plot elements with the book.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2022
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I wouldnt guess that’s the best cash grab. Typically low-budget films that get big actors still don’t pay the big actor a lot. Just just accommodate the shooting schedule so they have them for a few weeks. That’s how It’s Always Sunny got Danny Devito. I believe they’d shoot his scenes for the entire season in a week or 2, then go back and film the rest.
    Committing to a couple big budget films I would think would pay off more. And I’m only guessing these are a string of low budgets since no one has heard of any of them, but that could be wrong.
    He was getting 2 million dollar for two days work. And only worked max 8 hours per day. But also worked less than that per day. Now look how many films he made with that paycheck and with that effort.  

He had his lines fed to him through an earpiece and people have said he sometimes didn’t know why he was where he was. I doubt towards the end it would have even worked having him in ”big budget” movies. 

edited March 2022
    Surprised that the usual misogynists have not blamed Courtney Love yet. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2022
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I was reading about this last night. Therein lies the problem with someone with his condition. He was having problems not being able to remember his lines so he was not getting those big budget movies anymore and even got cut from some of them because he just wasn't able to act very well. To make matters worse--the studios were moving in a different direction and making fewer and fewer of the kinds of movies he was used to doing for so long.

For most of these low budget straight to video garbage movies he made, he got paid $1,000,000 for about two days worth of work. It was mostly the same director on all of them. The director and studio got the benefit of slapping his face on the movie poster to generate some interest and saying Bruce Willis was in their movie while Willis got the benefit of making tens of millions over a relatively short period of time for doing not much of anything, except sacrificing his reputation as an A list actor......but now with his condition publicly known, I would think that would subside .
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I didn’t realize it was only 2 days of work. I thought usually it’s at least a week or 2. Not a bad gig then.
    mace1229 said:
    I didn’t realize it was only 2 days of work. I thought usually it’s at least a week or 2. Not a bad gig then.
    Yeah I guess he was hardly in some of these movies but they just wanted his name and face associated with them. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Sad stuff. LA Times article talked about how bad it was over the past couple years and his roles/lines in movies had to be cut back significantly and that he had an earpiece in to feed him the lines.  Sounds terrible.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Yeah I guess he was hardly in some of these movies but they just wanted his name and face associated with them. 
    https://youtu.be/cd1eNS9HtXo
    ^
    Yeah. This stuff is pretty interesting. Obviously takes on a different meaning now....but still pretty wild. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    This really sucks, Bruce was a 'real' action star. What a shitty diagnosis for him.

I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of that Half In The Bag video. Of course they didn't know about Bruce's condition at the time, but the guy on the right seemed like such a smug little prick.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)