Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    I sat down to immerse myself fully in an album this evening as I usually do.  I wasn't sure what to play today, it seems like a very heavy day, a heavy weight hanging over the world.  I decided to listen to Le Noise.  It was the perfect record for the day.  Beautiful, devastating, and real.  Parts of it left me in tears and thinking, thinking about everything going down, the feelings reflected in the songs.  It was the right record for this day, for sure.
    Le Noise - Wikipedia

You're 100% right Brian, sometimes Le Noise is the perfect album for those kind of days.

Did you hear 'You Never Call'? It was written for Le Noise, but never made it onto the record (because... Neil).
    It's a beautifully haunting song Neil wrote for LA Johnson after he passed away

https://youtu.be/YPy04-kSkmA

No, I've never heard that.  It definitely has that Le Noise vibe. Beautiful, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2022
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    I sat down to immerse myself fully in an album this evening as I usually do.  I wasn't sure what to play today, it seems like a very heavy day, a heavy weight hanging over the world.  I decided to listen to Le Noise.  It was the perfect record for the day.  Beautiful, devastating, and real.  Parts of it left me in tears and thinking, thinking about everything going down, the feelings reflected in the songs.  It was the right record for this day, for sure.
    Le Noise - Wikipedia

You're 100% right Brian, sometimes Le Noise is the perfect album for those kind of days.

Did you hear 'You Never Call'? It was written for Le Noise, but never made it onto the record (because... Neil).

No, I've never heard that.  It definitely has that Le Noise vibe. Beautiful, thanks!
    He played it during that solo tour. 

And “Leia.”
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    brianlux said:
    Le Noise - Wikipedia

Le Noise is a fantastic record. I really don't think it gets the credit it deserves. A late career classic, for sure!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Le Noise needs a reissue.  It is expensive. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Le Noise - Wikipedia

Yeah I heard this song when I saw Neil on that tour.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Where are the concerts on this NYA app? I feel so dumb that I can't find them.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    My wife had to work late last night, so I decided to make it a NY night. I listened to Decade and then Mirror Ball. 
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    Le Noise - Wikipedia

Le Noise is a fantastic record. I really don't think it gets the credit it deserves. A late career classic, for sure!
    Well said, Edved, it truly is.  It's an intense album that deserves, almost requires one's full attention while listening.  Because there is so much depth to it, whenever I return to it I feel like I experience it at least a bit differently each time- last night in particular as the music and lyrics seemed like such an intense reflection of the world around us today.  Le Noise is truly a Neil Young stand-out and major work.
    mrussel1 said:
    Le Noise needs a reissue.  It is expensive. 
    After listening to it last night, I was reminiscing about how when it first came out on vinyl I was put off by the price- somewhere between $25 and $30.  By the time I got over it, the price had soared and I was really bummed that I had been so tight.  Over the next several years, I watched for a copy with a more affordably price and totally lucked out on a NM copy on eBay.  I think it was around $40.  I'm not seeing any under $150 right now.  That's just crazy. 
    You are so right- this needs a re-issue and a re-discovery.   I think a lot of fans were a bit put off by the strange production but I also think if they gave it time it would all come together and make sense.  I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

After the NY show on the Le Noise tour I overheard some cranky guy "don't like all these political songs".

About Neil Young

Still cracks me up.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Every artist has those dopes 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    After the NY show on the Le Noise tour I overheard some cranky guy "don't like all these political songs".

About Neil Young

Still cracks me up.
    We’re you at one of the Lincoln Center gigs? 

Great shows, except for some drunk old lady who went on stage and made it all about her for a few minutes on one of the nights. 

That was gross. Neil was not happy. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    No Tower Theatre.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    The next ORS box went up on the Warners Australia site this afternoon - Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, This Note’s For You, and Eldorado.

Nothing on NYA yet, but the Reprise FB page has posted about it as well.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    April 29th lets go.

I wanna know what happened to those bootlegs
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    My Carneige Hall has still not arrived and the store keeps pushing up the date... is there a problem with this release in Europe?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    It is with a heavy heart, I have decided that I will try to get the re-releases of Neil Youngs 60s and 70s albums. Wish me luck on my journey.

I only have Harvest and On The Beach now.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    April 29th lets go.

Available on NYA for pre-order now. 
    I wanna know what happened to those bootlegs
    All of the vinyl manufacturing delays probably made this an easier release. The ORS versions of H&D, Reactor and TNFY were already released a year or more ago, and some copies of Eldorado have made it out there, so all they needed was the box.

It’s a lot of money yet for 3 relatively short albums and a 5-track EP, but I’ve ordered it like the sucker I am.

We may even see Noise & Flowers, ORS Box 5, and Toast before the bootlegs if the original schedule was set in place.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited March 2022

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    please give us a 99 solo acoustic bootleg...i'm up to my gills in 70's acoustic neil releases
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    edited March 2022
    goldrush said:

WTF happened to #02? Such a weird release schedule. Plus 7-8 tracks per side on 2 of theses releases. That cannot be good. 
    Post edited by shorty4568 on
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Second the comment for some solo 99 shows - I only saw one, but it was fantastic.
    ST66483 said:
    Second the comment for some solo 99 shows - I only saw one, but it was fantastic.
    I only saw one, but it was probably the single best concert I have ever heard and witnessed.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    please give us a 99 solo acoustic bootleg...i'm up to my gills in 70's acoustic neil releases

ST66483 said:

static111 said:
    ST66483 said:
    I only saw one, but it was probably the single best concert I have ever heard and witnessed.

Sounds terrific!  A DVD with some of those performance would be so cool!

goldrush said:

WTF happened to #02? Such a weird release schedule. Plus 7-8 tracks per side on 2 of theses releases. That cannot be good. 
    2 and 6 are coming. 
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

ST66483 said:

static111 said:
    ST66483 said:

Sounds terrific!  A DVD with some of those performance would be so cool!
    The silver and gold DVD is from that tour, but..it only has the silver and gold album songs on it, and I think the songs from the csny album that was out around the same time.  Definitely worth the spend if you can find one.  
    Scio me nihil scire

NYA has a really cool 17-minute version of Sixty to Zero with The Bluenotes. Not sure how long it will be up, the Sneak Previews don’t normally hang around for long.

(Tim Rogers)