2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    He is only behind Embiid, Jokic and Giannis for MVP odds. He absolutely could be the mvp this year. The hype is real. 
    Don't know where you got that from?

Player (Team)Odds
    Joel Embiid (Philadelphia)+100
    Nikola Jokic (Denver)+300
    Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee)+500
    DeMar DeRozan (Chicago)+1200
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited March 2022
    He is only behind Embiid, Jokic and Giannis for MVP odds. He absolutely could be the mvp this year. The hype is real. 

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800
    Draft Kings. There are five guys with a shot at it this year. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    ^ Your Juggler got Embiid +600 back in January....
    chinese-happy.jpg

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

I don't look at 10% odds as good but if you win, hey, by all means.  Bet $100 to win $1000, yes please.

Derozan and Ja are far out for me.  Since the writers vote though the more highlights of Ja we see he might get more votes but Embiid is the favorite hands down and Jokic is straight balling with no help.

Poor Butler.  As well as he plays he gets little consideration

How do you see it? Not what the "odds" say.

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

I don't look at 10% odds as good but if you win, hey, by all means.  Bet $100 to win $1000, yes please.

Derozan and Ja are far out for me.  Since the writers vote though the more highlights of Ja we see he might get more votes but Embiid is the favorite hands down and Jokic is straight balling with no help.

I took Jo at +600 in January. 

chinese-happy.jpg

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

You are going to do nicely then if he gets it which I think he should.

The writers don't like giving 2nd and 3rd year players an MVP anymore since Rose I believe?

Who do you like for MVP other than for betting reasons?

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

The writers don't like giving 2nd and 3rd year players an MVP anymore since Rose I believe?

Embiid. They're 33-15 when he's on the court and they were without their all star point guard all year. He is the only reason why they have a legit shot at the Finals this year. 

For what it's worth, pro basketball ref has Jokic as the front runner though:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.html
    chinese-happy.jpg

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

Embiid. They're 33-15 when he's on the court and they were without their all star point guard all year. He is the only reason why they have a legit shot at the Finals this year. 

Jokic is the same as Embiid.  When he is off the court they do not win.  He is also doing it by himself.  I like Jokic to defend his title but Embiid  is so deserving.
    edited March 2022

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

Jokic is the same as Embiid.  When he is off the court they do not win.  He is also doing it by himself.  I like Jokic to defend his title but Embiid  is so deserving.
    687% winning percentage for Sixers w/Embiid playing vs 636% for Nugs w/Jokic playing though. It's close but I think Embiid has meant more this year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

687% winning percentage for Sixers w/Embiid playing vs 636% for Nugs w/Jokic playing though. It's close but I think Embiid has meant more this year. 
    I love Embiid as the pick but won't be mad if it's Jokic as again, he is going at it alone.  The Nuggets don't even have a prayer if he isn't in the lineup.
     No Jamal Murray, No Porter Jr.

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

I love Embiid as the pick but won't be mad if it's Jokic as again, he is going at it alone.  The Nuggets don't even have a prayer if he isn't in the lineup.
    Neither did the Sixers (pre Harden, of course). That's why I pointed out their winning percentages with them on the court. :)
    chinese-happy.jpg

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

Neither did the Sixers (pre Harden, of course). That's why I pointed out their winning percentages with them on the court. :)
    At least he still had some help.  You have some defensive gems on that team.

It's a toss up.  The writers might give it to Embiid as he just missed out last year.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I got Embiid in when it was at +3000 not long after his covid stint. 

25 to win 750 or so. 

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

It's a toss up.  The writers might give it to Embiid as he just missed out last year.
    Who? Thybulle is great but cannot shoot. Their defense has been a lot worse without Simmons this year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    I got Embiid in when it was at +3000 not long after his covid stint. 

25 to win 750 or so. 
    Well played
    chinese-happy.jpg

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

Who? Thybulle is great but cannot shoot. Their defense has been a lot worse without Simmons this year. 
    Same core.  Missing one guy.  Jokic was missing both his main players.

Isn't Tobias good too?  I thought he was so forgive me if he is not.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

Player (Team)Odds
    Ja Morant (Memphis)+1800

Isn't Tobias good too?  I thought he was so forgive me if he is not.
    He's decent. Way overpaid,
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited March 2022
    Anyone check out that "Winning Time" show on HBO? It's a series about the rise of the 80's Lakers with Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson as the main characters. It's by Adam McKay and it's pretty fun. The real Magic Johnson does not like the idea of it and has been lowkey promoting an upcoming Lakers documentary that will be in the vein of Jordan's Last Dance. But, for an hour-long comedy/drama about 80's basketball, the McKay show is alright. I'd recommend it to basketball fans.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Anyone check out that "Winning Time" show on HBO? It's a series about the rise of the 80's Lakers with Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson as the main characters. It's by Adam McKay and it's pretty fun. The real Magic Johnson does not like the idea of it and has been lowkey promoting an upcoming Lakers documentary that will be in the vein of Jordan's Last Dance. But, for an hour-long comedy/drama about 80's basketball, the McKay show is alright. I'd recommend it to basketball fans.
    I did. It's pretty awesome. I really like it.

Jeff Pearlman wrote the book it's based on and has written a lot of cool sports books that cover stuff we all probably were interested in growing up. He's got a Bo Jackson one coming out next. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Jeff Pearlman wrote the book it's based on and has written a lot of cool sports books that cover stuff we all probably were interested in growing up. He's got a Bo Jackson one coming out next. 
    I like how it's tongue-in-cheek with the breaking of the 4th wall. Hope they don't overdo that, but it's been cool so far.

Did you read that Pearlman book? This show is so dramatized that they even put a disclaimer at the beginning saying so. So it's hard to tell what's real and what's not. Like, that party scene where Magic and Nixon play one-on-one....I just feel as if that was made-up for the show. But ya never know...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited March 2022

I like how it's tongue-in-cheek with the breaking of the 4th wall. Hope they don't overdo that, but it's been cool so far.

Did you read that Pearlman book? This show is so dramatized that they even put a disclaimer at the beginning saying so. So it's hard to tell what's real and what's not. Like, that party scene where Magic and Nixon play one-on-one....I just feel as if that was made-up for the show. But ya never know...
    No the only one I have read of his is the one on the USFL. I definitely recommend it. Been meaning to get into more of his books though. There is one on the '86 Mets I want to get next. 

I like how a lot of the scenes look as if they were filmed 40 years ago too. Definitely captures the 70's/80's vibes. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Love the portrayal of Jerry West.
    John C. Reilly is great.
    And the actors playing the players are pretty spot on so far.
    This weekend we rock Portland

No the only one I have read of his is the one on the USFL. I definitely recommend it. Been meaning to get into more of his books though. There is one on the '86 Mets I want to get next. 

I like how a lot of the scenes look as if they were filmed 40 years ago too. Definitely captures the 70's/80's vibes. 
    Yeah the way they’re making it look is cool as hell. I’m sure when the series is over, there will be someone who compiled what’s real and what’s not. The one-on-one game with Nixon, and that meeting with Magic, his father, Buss, and the previous owner, seem made up. But again, who knows?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I never realized Jack Kent Cook owned the team before Buss. He must've bought the Redskins shortly thereafter I guess?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I never realized Jack Kent Cook owned the team before Buss. He must've bought the Redskins shortly thereafter I guess?
    Just going off of Wikipedia, he became a minority owner of the Redskins in 1961, majority owner in 1974, and sole owner in 1985. 

As for the Lakers, he bought them in 1965 and sold them to Buss in 1979. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    i think Giannis just won the MVP with his performance tonight. Game tying 3 and two clutch free throws to secure a win against the Nets and his performance against the Sixers the other night also helped. Sorry Embiid.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    i think Giannis just won the MVP with his performance tonight. Game tying 3 and two clutch free throws to secure a win against the Nets and his performance against the Sixers the other night also helped. Sorry Embiid.
    MVP, MVP!!

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    MVP, MVP!!

Jokic will win back to backs. Giannis is in very strong contention though. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."