Options

Eddie & The Earthlings Setlist Thread - NYC N1 @ the Beacon Theatre, 02/03/22

124»

Comments

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    deweil said:
    On one hand, I don't get the hate. Mick Jagger ha splayed RS songs at solo shows, as have Pete and Roger of the Who and countless other bands over the years. Eddie did plenty of PJ songs 10 years ago at his solo show...and Ohana festival a few months back (Corduroy, Better Man, Long Road). Were you upset then too? I personally think it's GREAT he pulled out Timeless Melody and Dirty Frank, two songs they've played 10 times a piece. It made the show so much better, honestly, as half the new songs aren't all that good live (yet). I was so amped during DF, something I wouldn't have felt during yet another Better Man, I think. I think the band should play only deep cuts/rarities when playing PJ songs, actually. Makes the gigs that much more special and different from PJ. 

That said, I thought Watt's solo during Porch was a bit too much like a copycat/cover band vibe for my tastes. 
    Personally I’d be most interested in seeing them do rarely-played PJ album tracks, as opposed to your Dirty Franks or Sweet Lews or what have you. Give me an Earthlings version of Supersonic or Come Back, and miss me with the b-sides that are objectively sloppy and dumb but nevertheless somehow cause people to get Mad Online.
  • Options
    deweildeweil Posts: 245
    tdawe said:
    deweil said:
    On one hand, I don't get the hate. Mick Jagger ha splayed RS songs at solo shows, as have Pete and Roger of the Who and countless other bands over the years. Eddie did plenty of PJ songs 10 years ago at his solo show...and Ohana festival a few months back (Corduroy, Better Man, Long Road). Were you upset then too? I personally think it's GREAT he pulled out Timeless Melody and Dirty Frank, two songs they've played 10 times a piece. It made the show so much better, honestly, as half the new songs aren't all that good live (yet). I was so amped during DF, something I wouldn't have felt during yet another Better Man, I think. I think the band should play only deep cuts/rarities when playing PJ songs, actually. Makes the gigs that much more special and different from PJ. 

That said, I thought Watt's solo during Porch was a bit too much like a copycat/cover band vibe for my tastes. 
    Personally I’d be most interested in seeing them do rarely-played PJ album tracks, as opposed to your Dirty Franks or Sweet Lews or what have you. Give me an Earthlings version of Supersonic or Come Back, and miss me with the b-sides that are objectively sloppy and dumb but nevertheless somehow cause people to get Mad Online.
    I think if I were Ed, I'd offer each of the band members an opportunity to suggest PJ songs to learn and play, as a kind of thank you for being in the band. And have them play different ones each night of the tour, with only Porch repeating. 
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    deweil said:
    tdawe said:
    deweil said:

I think if I were Ed, I'd offer each of the band members an opportunity to suggest PJ songs to learn and play, as a kind of thank you for being in the band. And have them play different ones each night of the tour, with only Porch repeating. 
    So 2x Porch on the nights when Watt gets to choose?
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    I enjoyed the PJ songs they played night 1 especially porch and it occurred to me that it must be really fun for the band to get to play that song with Eddie up front and in a PJ crowd in a small venue and with all of that energy.  It was so fun for me and the whole place was rocking so seems like a no brainer to keep playing a few pj songs in these sets 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,932
    I enjoyed the PJ songs they played night 1 especially porch and it occurred to me that it must be really fun for the band to get to play that song with Eddie up front and in a PJ crowd in a small venue and with all of that energy.  It was so fun for me and the whole place was rocking so seems like a no brainer to keep playing a few pj songs in these sets 
    Agree 100%! There is a whole generation of PJ fans who won't get a chance to see the boys play a smaller venue like the ones on this tour. The addition of a few Ed-authored PJ songs is greatness multiplied.
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    saw9saw9 Posts: 16
    Anybody get the video / audio of All Along The Watchtower from this show? Not on youtube and wanted to give it a listen. Thanks!