Options

Is the Athens boot really that bad?

glorified_jglorified_j Posts: 183
edited October 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I have been downloading a bunch of the european shows lately...right now I am downloading bern and vienna..looking around at some of the other posts ive noticed some were disappointed at the athens boot....is it really that bad?
thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    The show and music is great but there are some really annoying loud girls during most of the show singing along and it makes you wanna turn it off. Great band energy though, and a great acoustic version of I AM MINE.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    The show and music is great but there are some really annoying loud girls during most of the show singing along and it makes you wanna turn it off. Great band energy though, and a great acoustic version of I AM MINE.
    hadn't listened to it yet...those girls are lucky not to have been near me!!
    bad mix there...teh crowd wasn't THAT loud yet you hear it far more than any other boot I listened to...even Dublin or Milan where the crowd WAS very loud!

I wonder if it's done on purpose: relive the experience of having a very annoying neighbour!
    I can't believe it, you hear them as much as Ed on Footsteps!
  • Options
    RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    Pegasus wrote:
    hadn't listened to it yet...those girls are lucky not to have been near me!!
    bad mix there...teh crowd wasn't THAT loud yet you hear it far more than any other boot I listened to...even Dublin or Milan where the crowd WAS very loud!

I wonder if it's done on purpose: relive the experience of having a very annoying neighbour!
    I can't believe it, you hear them as much as Ed on Footsteps!

Great show, one of my favourites I went to but agree the boot is pretty difficult to listen to with the constant high pitched shrieking. Getting nowhere near as much play as the others as a consequence.....
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22
  • Options
    RiffJam wrote:
    the boot is pretty difficult to listen to with the constant high pitched shrieking

Agreed.But the show itself is worth listening,no doubt.
    11/01/96 warsaw
    06/15/00 katowice
    06/16/00 katowice
    09/22/06 prague
    09/23/06 berlin
    09/25/06 vienna
    06/13/07 chorzow
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    I was going to purchase this show, always like getting the last show, but after reading all the stuff about the crowd noise, I decided not too. Not sure why 99% of the boots are crowd noise free, but this show is not. There are plenty of other shows out there, I reccomend the Paris show.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    GO!!!GO!!! Posts: 74
    Haven't heard Athens yet, but If you want a good version of footsteps buy the Berlin show, it has a very good mix. First I was a little bit dissapointed that the crowd on the boot wasn't even half as loud as on that night, but after a few weeks of listening I really appreciate the mix.
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Basecamp should remix the show asap.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    desertmandesertman Posts: 132
    Basecamp should remix the show asap.

i sent an email to basecamp asking if it is possible for a remix but this is the answer i got...

"These are LIVE recordings. The screaming you hear is from individuals at the edge of the stage captured by all microphones on the stage.
    Basecamp Support"

i also think that the recording or the mixing is bad but they dont care...
    Marseille, Paris, Bologna, Verona, Milan, Torino, Pistoia, Zagreb, Athens....2006
    Katowice....2007
  • Options
    desertman wrote:
    i sent an email to basecamp asking if it is possible for a remix but this is the answer i got...

"These are LIVE recordings. The screaming you hear is from individuals at the edge of the stage captured by all microphones on the stage.
    Basecamp Support"

i also think that the recording or the mixing is bad but they dont care...
    that's bollocks!...same kind of bollocks as the 'holiday' excuse for the Dublin boot delay.

the mix is wrong because the whole crowd is louder (not just the annoying girls) on this boot than on the other boots, but it was not really the case at the gig.
    And I was at exactly the same place in most so I can definetly compare.

to take an example, on the Prague bootleg, you can't hear the poles shouting 'You forgot Poland', half as well as those girls. And man, they were loads of them, very loud, and right in front of the crowd mike.
    They just can't be bothered re-mixing, it's all.
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    That's a bunch of shit...each show is multi-track recorded, it would've been pretty simple for Brett to turn the audience mics down in the annoying parts. I guess he couldn't be stuffed doing it then or remixing it now, but that kinda sucks for those who've paid money to get a product of a certain standard. It's one of the best shows of '06 too, it's a shame.

I think the pressure to get the boots out quickly has really negatively impacted on the mixing of a few of them this year, they sound rushed (see the problem above for proof). I wish Brett took more time in the mixing of each show and if it takes longer, it takes longer. Hell, just do it like 2000 and not release the shows til after the tour, at least they'll have the proper care and attention to detail neccessary.
  • Options
    it is very bad..
    complaints at support@basecampproductions.com
  • Options
    datsdats Posts: 118
    Holy crap! I'm listening to the boot for the first time right now and I'm at Betterman... This is just horrible! One thing is all the screaming, but seriously, they sing soooo bad it's just terrible! This is honestly too painfull....
    Arnhem 08.29.06, Antwerp 08.30.06, Copenhagen 06.26.07, Manchester 08.17.09, London 08.18.09, Berlin 06.30.10
  • Options
    datsdats Posts: 118
    They totally ruin Footsteps... Lol, this is embarrasing, reminds me of watching Idol on tv... all the horrible singing...
    Arnhem 08.29.06, Antwerp 08.30.06, Copenhagen 06.26.07, Manchester 08.17.09, London 08.18.09, Berlin 06.30.10
  • Options
    noa.whonoa.who Posts: 130
    le'Dats wrote:
    Holy crap! I'm listening to the boot for the first time right now and I'm at Betterman... This is just horrible! One thing is all the screaming, but seriously, they sing soooo bad it's just terrible! This is honestly too painfull....

tell me about it...
    too bad basecamps response to desertman's e-mail was so dismissing.
    maybe we should pressure them a little bit more?
    I got no decent version of footsteps from that show, and it upsets me to hear these girls sing (if I may say - out of key) almost louder than Eddie..
    Watch me make up my mind instead of my face
  • Options
    I have never had a bad word to say about ANY bootlegs released officially. BUT i listened to Athens last night and i couldn't listen to the whole thing. The screaming girls are uber-annoying and just made me turn it off.

On a positive note, the band is on fire and Ed sounds intense for the first few songs, especially Animal. There's venom in his voice and it sounds powerful. And the acoustic I Am Mine is beautiful!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    If the annoying screams are captured by the stage microphones, there´s really not much to do about it. Not to compare or anything, but earlier this year my band made a live recording for a promotional live DVD, and during one song you can really hear one person very loudly, making some high pitch screams, really annoying. But when we had to mix everything, we couldn´t turn that voice down or pull it out or anything, because the scream didn´t have a track for itself. Then it would have damaged the vocal, guitars, drums and eveything. So everything´s sorta connected when it comes to stage mics. Sad but true.
    I haven´t heard the boot yet though I was present at the show.
    I´m still hoping for a fine audio return to the show, once I get those damn flac files converted to mp3´s!

rock on

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    CharlieP wrote:
    If the annoying screams are captured by the stage microphones, there´s really not much to do about it. Not to compare or anything, but earlier this year my band made a live recording for a promotional live DVD, and during one song you can really hear one person very loudly, making some high pitch screams, really annoying. But when we had to mix everything, we couldn´t turn that voice down or pull it out or anything, because the scream didn´t have a track for itself. Then it would have damaged the vocal, guitars, drums and eveything. So everything´s sorta connected when it comes to stage mics. Sad but true.
    I´m still hoping for a fine audio return to the show, once I get those damn flac files converted to mp3´s!

rock on

If you're recording in a club, it's understandable as it's a small area and some bleed into the mics is inevitable - when you're playing a stadium, it's sure to be markedly different however.

Lazy, that's all it is. The only mic's that I could conceivably think might have some small amount of bleed from the audience that badly would be the vocal mics and even then, it's still not really acceptable as I just don't accept it'd be as noticable as it is on the boot.
  • Options
    AthinaAthina Posts: 3
    Come on guys... You are writing like 70year-olds full of weird comments.
    The show was something else... We had been waiting for it all these years... That's why we all sang that loud, to express our feelings. For most of us in Greece it was the first time we shaw them live. How was your first live experience??? So get a grip and do not judge that bad on live shows. They are taking place for the crowds to sing and yell, not to be criticized for the sound...
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Athina wrote:
    The show was something else... We had been waiting for it all these years... That's why we all sang that loud, to express our feelings. For most of us in Greece it was the first time we shaw them live. How was your first live experience??? So get a grip and do not judge that bad on live shows. They are taking place for the crowds to sing and yell, not to be criticized for the sound...

By the sounds of it they are not criticising the show just the quality of the boot and if you can't hear the band or have bad singing over the band then I can understand where they are coming from... I haven't listened to Antwerp again since suffering Hunger Strike :eek:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    CharlieP wrote:

rock on
    The mikes arrangement was not noticeably different from all the other shows, and the crowd was not noticeably louder...so there's no good reason for such a difference in crowd interference.

And yes, it's great to hear the crowd...not to the point where it covers the rest..might as well have private recordings then!
  • Options
    Athina wrote:

The show WAS something else, that's the point though. It's a fantastic show that I'll probably only ever listen to once due to some inconsiderate fans and some lazy audio mixing...and I just think that's a shame.

The live shows are for people to yell and sing, yes, but the bootlegs are to listen to THE BAND. Totally different experience.
  • Options
    I held off on getting this one till the other night. I'm a boot addict and have most of the 2006 shows so far (only missing about 5). I've purchased most of them.

I'd heard such bad things about this one that I just traded with a buddy. Man... if I'd paid for this one I think I'd be demanding my money back.

Lets hear it for a remix.
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • Options
    goldstargoldstar Posts: 256
    spencer wrote:
    ...due to some inconsiderate fans...and I just think that's a shame.

The live shows are for people to yell and sing, yes.

alright. first off: i have learned to manage (somehow) with the squeeking girl. i can thuroughly enjoy most of the show. the 2 main tracks which were "ruined" are footsteps and betterman, and it's a terrible thing. really. the screaming thing just murders the songs. i get chills running down my spine when she starts her singing antics. really. it's terrible. i twitch and nearly suffer a spasm.

however: you CANNOT call a fan screaming her lungs out during a show (probably one of her first ones, if not THE first one) and giving all the love she has for the band and the music (and yes - as we all know by now - for eddie)... where was i? oh yes. you CANNOT call that fan inconsiderate!!! i mean - for F***'s sake - she probably snapped a vocal chord screaming so hard. because - as quoted above (from the same post, though i did a BIT of editting) - the show is for people to yell and sing. a fan at a show should enjoy the show, however he or she feels like, without constantly thinking "oh, i better not shout because it'll ruin the bootleg".

F*** the bootleg.
    enjoy the F***ing show.
    rock on.
    peace (we need it).
    sign THE petition!!!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pearljam_to_israel/index.html

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    lots of useless petitions around here but I thought that one might get us something:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=3838894
  • Options
    keyserkeyser Posts: 67
    goldstar wrote:
    i have learned to manage (somehow) with the squeeking girl. i can thuroughly enjoy most of the show. the 2 main tracks which were "ruined" are footsteps and betterman [..]

nah! Black is ruined too! :D

By spliting the channels you can say that the girls were on mike's side. almost no screaming can be listened on ed's mic. So i think it was possible for basecamp to cut those off.
    If nothing is everything, I will have it all
  • Options
    TheSkyEtcTheSkyEtc Athens, GR Posts: 65

..speaking of which,here is my take.Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLsA83YTsI

p.s. Awesome show, especially for us Greeks, but the bootleg could be muuuuuuuch better..
    I think somebody gave that girl a mic. hehe.
    A whisper through a megaphone
  • Options
    keyser wrote:
    nah! Black is ruined too! :D

By spliting the channels you can say that the girls were on mike's side. almost no screaming can be listened on ed's mic. So i think it was possible for basecamp to cut those off.

the only vocal mic on mike's side is jeff's,
    and i don't think it was even on during those 2 (ok - 3) songs,
    so i don't know what to think of it all now.

anyway, it sucks, we've sucked it up.

move along now. nothing to see here.
    sign THE petition!!!

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i had a dog who had no nose.

how did he smell?

awfull.
  • Options
    hahahaha!!!
    sign THE petition!!!

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
  • Options
    Athina wrote:
    This was my first Pearl Jam show, too. Most probably it was the best show I have ever attended till today - and I have attended quite many. I was also screaming my lungs out and I was just in front of Stone, by the barrier. I can't hear my voice on the bootleg, though :)

I suppose that the show is mixed from the soundboard feed and some mic feeds that come from above the stage, in order to catch the audience noise. Since we can only listen to 2 people from the audience, my conclusion is:The mixing is awful, period.

Aaaaa, can't wait to see them again!!
    2006/09/30 Athens, 2007/06/12 Muenchen, 2007/06/13 Katowice, 2007/06/18 London, 2009/08/13 Rotterdam, 2009/08/15 Berlin, 2010/06/30 Berlin, 2010/07/10 Lisbon, 2011/09/03 Alpine Valley, 2011/09/04 Alpine Valley, 2012/07/07 Stockholm, 2012/07/08 Oslo, 2012/07/10 Copenhagen, 2014/06/16 Amsterdam, 2014/06/17 Amsterdam, 2018/06/18 London, 2018/07/01 Prague, 2018/07/03 Krakow, 2018/07/05 Berlin...