Options

Is the Athens boot really that bad?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Okay, I've heard mixed reviews on the Athens boot, and now someone is again pointing out the insanely loud and off-key crowd. But after watching the video posted there for "I Am Mine", I wonder, how big is the OAKA Sports Halle, attendance-wise?

I didn't look like the biggest arena from those close up shots of the stage, and if you've only got 5-10,000 people, chances are the loudest of the bunch will take up part of the mix, or at least it would sound that way on a recording --instead of the typical arena-laden sea of voices, cheers and hoots, you here a few dozen people more than others, thus making the "official" boot sound more like a fan recording. I don't know how the mix could be improved unless there are ambient noise microphones at the venues.

That's not neccessarily a bad thing; I was listening to one of the European '96 shows and I was friggin' blown away by the crowd response; it sounded like everyone in the room was singing along, and they all seemed to know the 'No Code' album by heart (a feat in an of itself); it's not often you can say a crowd keeps up with the actual act. I don't remember which city it was (I want to say Warsaw, they were apeshit for the band). Late in '96...

I've come to the conclusion that it's the theorem of international talent trade-off; when a band plays a foreign nation, they're going to get much more crowd reaction than when they play on domestic soil; we yanks tend to give the same response to U.K. bands (there are no shortages of Anglophiles on the East Coast campuses, that's for sure).

When a band doesn't come 'round but once or twice in a decade, then it's your rock-given right to let loose. Some of the most incredible live versions of songs like "Black" and "Betterman" are driven by the crowd's input on that night. They make it magic. My thoughts are that the crowd will aways be part of the set itself; they're a collective member of the group on the live recordings. Sometimes that's great; sometimes it's not; they will be on or off some nights just like any member of the the band. The difference being, the crowd's shouldn't give up the day jobs.

Of the '06 boots I have, I like the serene quality of Santa Barbara and Gorge II, but also like the way the crowd builds up on Gorge I and the San Francisco I-III boots. Los Angeles I's crowd sounds like complete shite, like most of them could care less if Tim Robbins wanted to fill in for Ed that entire night, they were detrimental to the sound on that show... I didn't even bother with Los Angeles II because of this.

So it begs the question: how much worse is Athens than Los Angeles I? If you had to rate them (and say, other raucous crowd shows this year) on a scale of 1-10, 1 being atrocious and unlistenable and 10 being steady across the board...
  • Options
    TheSkyEtcTheSkyEtc Athens, GR Posts: 65
    Okay, I've heard mixed reviews on the Athens boot, and now someone is again pointing out the insanely loud and off-key crowd. But after watching the video posted there for "I Am Mine", I wonder, how big is the OAKA Sports Halle, attendance-wise?

I didn't look like the biggest arena from those close up shots of the stage, and if you've only got 5-10,000 people, chances are the loudest of the bunch will take up part of the mix, or at least it would sound that way on a recording --instead of the typical arena-laden sea of voices, cheers and hoots, you here a few dozen people more than others, thus making the "official" boot sound more like a fan recording. I don't know how the mix could be improved unless there are ambient noise microphones at the venues.

That's not neccessarily a bad thing; I was listening to one of the European '96 shows and I was friggin' blown away by the crowd response; it sounded like everyone in the room was singing along, and they all seemed to know the 'No Code' album by heart (a feat in an of itself); it's not often you can say a crowd keeps up with the actual act. I don't remember which city it was (I want to say Warsaw, they were apeshit for the band). Late in '96...

I've come to the conclusion that it's the theorem of international talent trade-off; when a band plays a foreign nation, they're going to get much more crowd reaction than when they play on domestic soil; we yanks tend to give the same response to U.K. bands (there are no shortages of Anglophiles on the East Coast campuses, that's for sure).

When a band doesn't come 'round but once or twice in a decade, then it's your rock-given right to let loose. Some of the most incredible live versions of songs like "Black" and "Betterman" are driven by the crowd's input on that night. They make it magic. My thoughts are that the crowd will aways be part of the set itself; they're a collective member of the group on the live recordings. Sometimes that's great; sometimes it's not; they will be on or off some nights just like any member of the the band. The difference being, the crowd's shouldn't give up the day jobs.

Of the '06 boots I have, I like the serene quality of Santa Barbara and Gorge II, but also like the way the crowd builds up on Gorge I and the San Francisco I-III boots. Los Angeles I's crowd sounds like complete shite, like most of them could care less if Tim Robbins wanted to fill in for Ed that entire night, they were detrimental to the sound on that show... I didn't even bother with Los Angeles II because of this.

So it begs the question: how much worse is Athens than Los Angeles I? If you had to rate them (and say, other raucous crowd shows this year) on a scale of 1-10, 1 being atrocious and unlistenable and 10 being steady across the board...

I see your point..Well OAKA it's not THE biggest arena but that night we were around 13,000 people in there, maybe more..Can't really tell. It has 17,000 seats actually but the seats behind the stage were not used. The thing is that when that girl screams it makes it impossible to listen to the song..That's it. Period. I always skip those tracks and when I know Athens was lucky to have some kickass versions of Footsteps,I am mine,Better man etc it hurts when i cannot enjoy them in the bootleg. I know it's not the best bootleg but it has a very special meaning to us thus it's the FIRST & ONLY Athens bootleg..LA has almost a dozen.Maybe L.A.1 show didn't have a cool crowd but i'm sure there was a night that had. Anyway..The Athens bootleg is really fine except those moments. That's all. Feel free to download it. The last encore is a masterpiece...
    Peace
    A whisper through a megaphone
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Sorry but your points don't hold of because we're not comparing the quality with N.A boots but with other European ones.
    The venue is of a decent (on the big side) size, the crowd was no louder than other gigs..less so than Milan for example.
    If you want to talk small crowd, Marseille it was b(and although there are some overly loud screamers in that, it does not distract to the same degree).
    the difference in quality of the boot has nothing to do with the venue, all to do with the mix.

btw, there ARE ambient noise microphones, on the stage, one on each side, pointed at the audience (might be others too). That's the input from those which is WAY too high on the mix (in comparaison to other boots, again) and gives the impression that the crowd was so loud (and picks up the girls..presumably on Mike side.)
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    I own or have a copy of every official pj bootleg. With that said: The soundquality of the most boots is atleast good. Some of them have a pretty bad mix and therefore I don't listen to them anymore (Ottawa 05 for example: one of the guitars is incredible low).
    But the Athens bootleg is in some parts just unlistenable. When I got it I listened to a few tracks and never listened to it again yet. It's the worst official pj boot imo. I'd rather listen to any dead crowd or the booing rightwing crowd of Uniondale 03.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Who cares .. I'm glad the Greeks had a good time .. they deserved it.

Kalispera baby! :)
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    RiffJam wrote:
    Great show, one of my favourites I went to but agree the boot is pretty difficult to listen to with the constant high pitched shrieking. Getting nowhere near as much play as the others as a consequence.....

Was sleater kinney in the audience?
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    evenflow82 wrote:
    :D:D:D:D:D
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    Sorry but your points don't hold of because we're not comparing the quality with N.A boots but with other European ones.

I wasn't solely trying to compare North American shows with European shows, but the sound difference in all Pearl Jam shows from every nation going back some time. Scratch that if you see it as irrelevant.

Since there is only one Athens show, there are no other shows from that city to compare it to, am I correct?

Thank you for answering my question on the size of the venue.
    Pegasus wrote:
    the difference in quality of the boot has nothing to do with the venue, all to do with the mix.

Okay... I've heard people compare the sounds of certain shows against others citing the size of the venue and the number of the crowd, and wanted to inquire on the size of the OAKA Sportshalle. Process of elimination.
    Pegasus wrote:
    btw, there ARE ambient noise microphones, on the stage, one on each side, pointed at the audience (might be others too). That's the input from those which is WAY too high on the mix (in comparaison to other boots, again) and gives the impression that the crowd was so loud (and picks up the girls..presumably on Mike side.)

So it looks like we have our culprit, perhaps. I can see why if these weren't properly faded it could contaminate the entire mix of the bootleg.

Dercheef wrote:
    I own or have a copy of every official pj bootleg. With that said: The soundquality of the most boots is atleast good. Some of them have a pretty bad mix and therefore I don't listen to them anymore (Ottawa 05 for example: one of the guitars is incredible low).
    But the Athens bootleg is in some parts just unlistenable. When I got it I listened to a few tracks and never listened to it again yet. It's the worst official pj boot imo. I'd rather listen to any dead crowd or the booing rightwing crowd of Uniondale 03.

Some shows are better than others, a given, but this boot is already getting a reputation for being atrocious in terms of its mix. What should the next step be in rectifying this situation? Refunds? Offering the show at half-price? Posting a notice to beware that the quality did not satisfy previous purchasers?

I know I'm not going to waste the money on the show if it's as bad as you are all insisting it is (and I believe you, since we're all consumers on this end). I haven't ordered the show. I would not, nor will purchase the Athens 2006 until it is remixed to a more fitting standard.

I feel most sorry for the people who lived in or traveled to Greece and paid to see the show, then went ahead and purchased the bootleg and found out how horrible it came out sounding after the fact.

evenflow82 wrote:

Ouch!!! That's so mean.

But it's so damned funny...
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:

do you really have a copy of all the bootlegs? how many is that, like 100's? Party at your house?
    96 Hartford
    98 NJ, Hartford, NY 2
    00 Boston 1-2, Jones Beach 1-2-3
    03 B'ham, Philly, Uniondale, Boston 2, NY 1-2, Hershey
    04 Boston 2, Kissimmee
    05 Borgata 2, Philly
    06 SNL, Ed Sullivan, Hartford, NJ 2
    10 MSG 1-2
    11 Beacon 1-2 (Ed)
    12 Amsterdam 1-2, Berlin 1-2, Copenhagen
    12 Amsterdam 2 (Ed)
    14 Amsterdam 1,2 Vienna, Berlin
  • Options
    Tonton wrote:
    do you really have a copy of all the bootlegs? how many is that, like 100's? Party at your house?

I may be off by a few, but including Athens, the official bootleg count would be around 240.

72 2000 shows +
    73 2003 shows = 140
    + 2 Vault show, Easy Street, Benaroya Hall, LoTL and then counting all the official releases from 2005 and 2006 (90+ shows).

I wonder how much it would cost to collect them all. I've only sunk about $370-400 in releases, IN MY LIFETIME, and I have squat compared to the average fan. I am ashamed.
  • Options
    I read all these days your posts about the Athens bootleg and I agree with most of you that these girls are very annoying..
    So the trick I use to eliminate this cacophony is to focus on Ed's voice, Mike's and Stone's guitars, Jeff's bass and Matt's drums.. As possible this can be.. And believe me it's one of the best performances I've ever heard.. That's all that matters to me..
    Although this isn't an excuse for Basecamp