Options

By request - a report on my first PJ gig

DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
First of all, let me start off by saying it was, indeed the greatest fucking night of my life. Everything from the anticipation to the after-midnight rush.. Just to see my favorite band, my favorite musicians at 150 ft away for the first time was the greatest thrill ever..
I went to Arnhem with my brothers; not really big fans but they appreciate the music. At first I was worried that we wouldn't make it in time because of traffic, but we managed to reach Gelredome at exactly 19.30, so we even got to see most of Wolfmother's show (btw - they made an instant fan out of me. great band!). Then it was just waiting. The PJ crew were setting up the stage and soundchecking and after a while I just felt like.. c'mon! I'M READY :D
And then, at 9 o'clock.. the lights went off, and the crowd went.. fucking *nuts*.. Then all of a sudden the music started playing and they were just there, out of nowhere and I was shaking like crazy and I felt this.. I don't know.. sort of high I think, in the best sense of the word. It was unbelievable..
RELEASE - Now I finally understand the fuzz about hearing it live.. I don't mind the studio version, I think it's awesome, but man... PJ opening with this song was beyond incredible.
WHY GO - Yesssssss!!! (no further explanation necessary)
SAVE YOU - Kick ass. I love this song.
CORDUROY - I think I literally hollered when I heard the first few notes :o I was sooo hoping they'd play this..
SEVERED HAND - One of my top-three songs from the new album. The energy of it.. live so much greater than recorded. Wonderful.
BETTER MAN - What I was hoping for, happened - turns out in Holland the fans know the lyrics just as well as anywhere else. Ed started playing and everybody immediately started singing and, as usual, the entire crowd sang the first part of the song as Ed watched us, smiling. Of course, I sang along as well and it was an absolutely amazing experience to be part of.
WORLD WIDE SUICIDE - It was obvious that a lot of people were at least familiar with this song, as it has been played on a few music channels quite frequently lately.. Maybe kind of silly to say - but a great sing-a-long!
INSIGNIFICANCE - Very nicely done. One of my favorites.
JEREMY - Definitely one of the best PJ songs IMO. This song always really gets to me on a personal level and to hear and see it live really affected me. And apparently I was not alone.. The crowd pretty much lost their minds when Jeff started playing the intro.. Very cool, very unreal. Immense impact.
DO THE EVOLUTION - Yayy! La-la-la-loved it!!
GIVEN TO FLY - Beautiful. Completely let myself go for the first time that night..
EVEN FLOW - Oh my fucking god. I knew I was totally gonna lose it when they played this, but it was even better than I expected. The crowd went wild too. But hear this; after Mike delivered an awesome guitar solo and usually the song would be done, all of a sudden Matt went crazy and treated us with this absolutely *insane* drum solo. I couldn't believe it, he just went on and on. It lasted for maybe three minutes or so..? I really love drumsolo's, but this was easily the best I've ever heard. The guy's an animal.
I GOT SHIT - I so love this song... hmm..
LUKIN - You know you're a fan when you can sing this one along.. ^^
SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE - For a moment, I didn't think I was going to live through this, I nearly got blasted away. :D Whoaaaa
REARVIEWMIRROR - Again, one of my favorite songs ever. I trip out just thinking about it again.
*first encore*
MAN OF THE HOUR - Ed said this was a request.. Such a beautiful song, the only one where I actually didn't sing along, I just closed my eyes and listened..
DAUGHTER - This started with a really nice No Woman No Cry-tag.. awesome! Again with an incredible Mike-piece at the end.
STATE OF LOVE AND TRUST - Noticably a popular song. People completely rocked out to this one.
COMATOSE - Yep. I went nuts. My favorite rocker from Avocado, without a doubt.
PORCH - Possibly the best part of the evening. This was.. unbelievable. Ten minutes or so, incredibly tightly performed, fucking awesome guitar solo. And, this is where Ed lifted his guitar above his head and shone the spotlight all over the crowd. At one point, the light was right in my face.. weird how something so silly can make you feel quite special for one second..
*second encore*
BU$HLEAGUER - Ed came back on stage with that aweful silver disco-jacket and his Bush mask on :D. It was fucking hilarious, great to see it myself.
LEASH - They played Leash! They played Leash! They played Leash!!!!! *flip*
ALIVE - I sang along to every song, but to this one I seriously screamed my lungs out.. Elevation is a good word..
ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD - The lights went on, and this was the first - and only, obviously - song to which my brothers could actually sing along! That was great.
YELLOW LEDBETTER - Awww... the end. *snif*

Afterwards, outside, my one brother and I ran around the parking lot like fuckin' idiots, we had so much energy. In the car on the way back home, we got caught in.. not-really-a-thunderstorm, because there was only a lot of lightning, which just added to the incredible surreal rush I was in..
My brother here said the greatest thing he's probably ever said to me.. that through this evening, through PJ he understood me a lot better..

The only feeling I've had ever since was just.. I wanna go back! I want another show!! Unfortunately, for financial reasons, I was unable to make it to the next show in Antwerp. But I trust this won't be the only time I'll ever see Pearl Jam live..

This was the most amazing experience of my life, so far.. and a memory I will cherish forever.
Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    great review. im jealous. I need my fix again.
  • Options
    aw, that's so nice. I'm glad you had such an amazing experience. I felt that same exact "high" feeling you mentioned the first time I saw them too. I swear it lasted at least a week :)

they are an amazing band that continue to give me that "high" feeling year after year after year.

I love what your brother said too. My brother goes to PJ shows with me and he has definately grown to appreciate them much more over the years.

Have a great day!
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    me and a friend are going watching them in berlin at the end of september (this will be my 3rd time wembley96 / manchester00) so we are just hoping its has good as you have just experienced.

thanks
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    Davanita what a fantastic review! Congrats on your first show!

You brought tears (happy) to my eyes! What a wonderful way to connect with your brothers and wow, how awesome for this ...
    My brother here said the greatest thing he's probably ever said to me.. that through this evening, through PJ he understood me a lot better...

I have seen pearl jam 15 times and feel the high everytime. I have never been disappointed at a show and am so thankful for this amazing band and the music they share!!!

Here's to many more shows ... rock on with love!!!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    Excellent review! Glad you had a great time!!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    Thanks a lot....man....I needed that buzz in the middle of a work day. I am so happy that it lived up to your expectations. there is nothing like it, and the next one will just be better and better.
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
  • Options
    Davanita wrote:
    First of all, let me start off by saying it was, indeed the greatest fucking night of my life. Everything from the anticipation to the after-midnight rush.. Just to see my favorite band, my favorite musicians at 150 ft away for the first time was the greatest thrill ever..
    I went to Arnhem with my brothers; not really big fans but they appreciate the music. At first I was worried that we wouldn't make it in time because of traffic, but we managed to reach Gelredome at exactly 19.30, so we even got to see most of Wolfmother's show (btw - they made an instant fan out of me. great band!). Then it was just waiting. The PJ crew were setting up the stage and soundchecking and after a while I just felt like.. c'mon! I'M READY :D
    And then, at 9 o'clock.. the lights went off, and the crowd went.. fucking *nuts*.. Then all of a sudden the music started playing and they were just there, out of nowhere and I was shaking like crazy and I felt this.. I don't know.. sort of high I think, in the best sense of the word. It was unbelievable..
    RELEASE - Now I finally understand the fuzz about hearing it live.. I don't mind the studio version, I think it's awesome, but man... PJ opening with this song was beyond incredible.
    CORDUROY - I think I literally hollered when I heard the first few notes :o I was sooo hoping they'd play this..
    SEVERED HAND - One of my top-three songs from the new album. The energy of it.. live so much greater than recorded. Wonderful.
    BETTER MAN - What I was hoping for, happened - turns out in Holland the fans know the lyrics just as well as anywhere else. Ed started playing and everybody immediately started singing and, as usual, the entire crowd sang the first part of the song as Ed watched us, smiling. Of course, I sang along as well and it was an absolutely amazing experience to be part of.
    WORLD WIDE SUICIDE - It was obvious that a lot of people were at least familiar with this song, as it has been played on a few music channels quite frequently lately.. Maybe kind of silly to say - but a great sing-a-long!
    JEREMY - Definitely one of the best PJ songs IMO. This song always really gets to me on a personal level and to hear and see it live really affected me. And apparently I was not alone.. The crowd pretty much lost their minds when Jeff started playing the intro.. Very cool, very unreal. Immense impact.
    GIVEN TO FLY - Beautiful. Completely let myself go for the first time that night..
    EVEN FLOW - Oh my fucking god. I knew I was totally gonna lose it when they played this, but it was even better than I expected. The crowd went wild too. But hear this; after Mike delivered an awesome guitar solo and usually the song would be done, all of a sudden Matt went crazy and treated us with this absolutely *insane* drum solo. I couldn't believe it, he just went on and on. It lasted for maybe three minutes or so..? I really love drumsolo's, but this was easily the best I've ever heard. The guy's an animal.
    SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE - For a moment, I didn't think I was going to live through this, I nearly got blasted away. :D Whoaaaa
    REARVIEWMIRROR - Again, one of my favorite songs ever. I trip out just thinking about it again.
    *first encore*
    MAN OF THE HOUR - Ed said this was a request.. Such a beautiful song, the only one where I actually didn't sing along, I just closed my eyes and listened..
    DAUGHTER - This started with a really nice No Woman No Cry-tag.. awesome! Again with an incredible Mike-piece at the end.
    STATE OF LOVE AND TRUST - Noticably a popular song. People completely rocked out to this one.
    PORCH - Possibly the best part of the evening. This was.. unbelievable. Ten minutes or so, incredibly tightly performed, fucking awesome guitar solo. And, this is where Ed lifted his guitar above his head and shone the spotlight all over the crowd. At one point, the light was right in my face.. weird how something so silly can make you feel quite special for one second..
    *second encore*
    BU$HLEAGUER - Ed came back on stage with that aweful silver disco-jacket and his Bush mask on :D. It was fucking hilarious, great to see it myself.
    ALIVE - I sang along to every song, but to this one I seriously screamed my lungs out.. Elevation is a good word..
    ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD - The lights went on, and this was the first - and only, obviously - song to which my brothers could actually sing along! That was great.

Afterwards, outside, my one brother and I ran around the parking lot like fuckin' idiots, we had so much energy. In the car on the way back home, we got caught in.. not-really-a-thunderstorm, because there was only a lot of lightning, which just added to the incredible surreal rush I was in..
    My brother here said the greatest thing he's probably ever said to me.. that through this evening, through PJ he understood me a lot better..

The only feeling I've had ever since was just.. I wanna go back! I want another show!! Unfortunately, for financial reasons, I was unable to make it to the next show in Antwerp. But I trust this won't be the only time I'll ever see Pearl Jam live..

This was the most amazing experience of my life, so far.. and a memory I will cherish forever.
    great review i know exactly how you felt i feel that way everytime i see them but you did not comment on "hunger stryke" how did that sound ?? anyway glad you had a great time now i can't wait to bring my son to a pj show ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Davanita, what an awesome, heartfelt, emotional review you wrote!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. So glad you had a blast at your first PJ show.
  • Options
    you did not comment on "hunger stryke" how did that sound ??

?!
    where did you get that from..? they didn't play Hunger Strike...

---

thanks everyone! it's good to be part of the Jamily :D
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
    Leeds 25/08/06
    Berlin 23/09/06
    London 18/6/07
  • Options
    Sounded like a brilliant show! wish i could have been there!! Can't wait till i get to go to my first PJ show it's gunna be amazing! thanks for the great review. :)
    * We were but stones....your light made us stars *

One day, some day i will get to see Pearl Jam in the UK!!!

Fingers crossed for London!!!! (nope, didn't get tickets for that either)
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    i just woke up and after reading all this i am buzzed as FUCK! WHOA! great review!...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Good for you Davanita!! There is nothing else like a PJ show in this entire world!!
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Nothing like your first PJ show. Nice to see a review without any criticisms. Cant wait for my 3 shows in NOvember.
  • Options
    GREAT REVIEW!!! nice you enjoy it, I really enjoy reading your review! :D , all reviews should be like yours!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Nothing like your first PJ show. Nice to see a review without any criticisms. Cant wait for my 3 shows in NOvember.

three..?! whoa you're lucky.. i can't wait to see them again! ^^
    Davanita wrote:
    *first encore*
    *second encore*

Nice review - what a night in Arnhem!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫