George Floyd Protests

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mickeyrat said:

she fired her weapon into a car that had a passenger directly behind the driver from the officers pov and I believe a sgt that had arrived. she failed to wait for the "look of fear officer" to fully get out of the way. she failed to lay out exactly what her trainee should do to effect the arrest BEFORE he was removed from the vehicle in such a way to leave open the eventuality of the driver getting back in the car.  she failed to address her trainees rationale for the stop (being a high crime area, a lot of shootings,  etc.  does that mean everyone in that area should be stopped?) on the premise he had expired tags.  ohio put a hold on those stops that lasted from 3-20 to 7-21.She was the senior officer  and the training officer. claimed she was afraid the driver would drag the trainee, BUT training enforces when hearing taser taser taser the at jeopardy officer disengages so as not to be darted, at which point the chance of being dragged is zero.

SHE FAILED and a man died by her hand. ACCOUNTABLE for more than 7 years but Mn law is Mn law.

Watching that video she was on an angle so the other officer and passenger weren't in danger.  What I was most surprised about is the amount of time she had the gun in her hand for.  She pulled her gun and said "I'll taze you".  She held that gun for a few seconds never realizing she had grabbed the gun and not the tazer.

Seeing that I would force the officers to train w a taser opposite of their shooting hand.  Would it be difficult at first?  Yes.  Train so you know the difference and are proficient with it.
    They are trained to use their weak hand for the taser.  That's why using her strong hand should have stopped her from pulling the trigger.  She should have reasonably known based on her training. 
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Other than showing up unconscious at a hospital most seek out medical attention and accept the risk that a doctor may make a mistake or misdiagnose us…it sucks but we accept.  When I’m getting pulled over by the cops there should be no risk to the average person…cops have a tough job, but they sign up for it.  Firefighters have a tougher job, but they accept the risk by pulling people out of burning buildings…police departments need to do a better job hiring people…
    I don’t get the argument of “they signed up for it” here. Doctors do have a tough job, but didn’t they sign up for that too? 
    You don’t have to stick with the dr analogy. Someone using a fork lift at Home Depot kills someone because they forgot to clear the isle, or a mechanic kills someone because they forgot to set the brake and the car rolls off a block? They signed up to operate a fork lift and I don’t accept any risk walking into a Home Depot, so does he get 7 years too?
    Bad analogy.  The forklift driver isn't dealing with life and death every day.  A cop or Doctor literally is.

A doctor doesn't just sign up like say a firemen or cop can.  They have to do years and years of school and training.
    That was kind of my point, although I didn’t do a good job explaining. I don’t think the type of job should matter. If someone makes a mistake and kills someone on the job, if we’re taking about negligence that lead to an accidental death then the job doesn’t matter. At least to me it doesn’t. Which is why I feel 7 years is a lot for this cop, we’d never hold anyone else to that same level of consequence. Someone at Home Depot who accidentally kills someone with a forklift would probably never get 7 years.  So why take their career into consideration for sentencing? 
    It's not the career; it's the act. the cop, in this situation, is acting to neutralize someone they fear is going to harm them. had the cop accidentally discharged their weapon and it hit someone in a crowd and killed them, I don't think they get 7 years. if a forklift operator saw someone acting erratically and used the forklift to try to neutralize the person, saying 'I only wanted to pin him, but the in the heat of it I accidentally hit the lever and the forks came down and crushed him" that would be different. 

it's also hard to really believe 100% that a trained police officer mistook a taser gun for a real gun. I don't know if I buy it. 
    Did you watch the video? It looks obvious to me it’s an accident. Her yelling “taser taser” then her reaction after. Plus you really think she’d pick that moment, when she’s training another officer, to just murder someone and blame it on an accident?
    And the act as you described it seems like more reason to believe there was an accident. You have about 1 second to neutralize a threat. There was an obvious threat who wanted to to harm to her and the other police and you have about a second to react. Mistaking yo gun for a taser is probably about a 1 in a million mistake. But how many times have tasers been used? Probably millions of times and this is the first I’ve heard of a gun being used by mistake. If anything, the act as you described, with her life and other on the line and given just moments to react, and the scenario should call for leniency, not stricter punishment. But I think it should be treated equal, the same as anyone else who made a mistake and accidentally killed someone.
    Dr, forklift, whatever, doesn’t matter. A person driving a car and failing to stop for a pedestrian walkway. Accidents happen all the time that kill people, I never hear of them getting 7 years.
    Od probably feel safer as a pedestrian knowing if a drover hit me they’d get more serious consequences. That doesn’t make it right.
    No, they get 110 years.  https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-truck-driver-rogel-aguilera-mederos-prison-sentence

Are you guys just circle jerking each other here?  It's about negligence and whether a person SHOULD have reasonably known the risks.  That is true for a gun, a car, etc.  People get homicide and manslaughter charges driving vehicles all the time.  The fork lift example is ridiculous. 
    That’s a different comparison as he made several intentional decisions that lead to the crash and why he was found guilty of vehicular homicide, most fatal crashes don’t result in criminal charges.
    But even so, there’s a large petition to lower his sentence, even supported by surviving victims and the DA.
    I can’t find any of the details now because all of the reports are about the sentencing. But I live not too far from there and remember this all over the news at the time. He passed at least 1 runaway truck ramp and I believe was seen speeding before his brakes went out. I also think I remember something about ignoring signs of breaks going bad or not checking them as required or something, but I can’t remember for sure.  In any case, he made intentional choices that lead to this accident. That is different from what we were discussing.
    It's negligent to the point of criminality.  I was providing an egregious example that was in the news because of your statement, but let's take another.  If you are reading a text on your cell and smash into someone crossing the road because you were distracted, you would absolutely be charged with some level of vehicular homicide.  If you were driving the speed limit and someone jumped out and you swerved to miss them, but hit someone else or another car, you probably would not be charged.  Perhaps swerving to miss was a bad decision, or you over corrected, but at the same time you likely did not make a criminally negligent decision.  

For this case, I think the question was whether the cop SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that she pulled her taser rather than her handgun.  It's on a different part of the belt, it likely weighs very differently and of course is yellow.  Second, police are taught to keep the taser on their weak hands.  So you fire a gun with your right hand, a taser with a left.  Becuase of this, it would be difficult to mix up the two.  Now I dont' know if she should have been found guilty or not, but these are some of the things that would make her criminally negligent.  
    Of course she should have known the difference. And I think a guilty verdict of something is justified, I’m not arguing she’s innocent, I just believe 7 years is a lot for what happened. The difference I see is she didn’t do anything criminally wrong that caused her to make the mistake. She wasn’t texting or speeding or bypassing runaway truck ramps, she was just doing her job and made a fatal mistake. (Which is why I compared it to the forklift. Don’t like the example, fine, but I see it the same because of the intentions, she never intended to do anything wrong. Some of the other examples given the person intended to do something wrong or illegal that created a scenario which caused the accident. She didn’t)
    I just looked up an example of vehicular homicide for texting, first result I saw the guy got 2 years. Don’t know if that a typical sentence, but I’m assuming it is.

And that to me isn’t a fair comparison because texting and driving is illegal. He made a decision to do something against the law that killed someone. So 7 years for an unprovoked mistake vs 2 years for texting and driving, which is illegal, and killing someone doesn’t seem equal and fair to me. It seems like some people are okay with her getting a stronger sentence simply because she’s a cop and is there to protect. I don’t agree with that. If she got 2 years and likely to serve only 1, I probably wouldn’t even comment on this conversation.
    I thought you were arguing what made it criminal.  Maybe that was Tempo. But the sentence is driven by statute, which is connected to the type of homicide and the degree.  And that will all vary by state.  So it's hard to compare.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    edited December 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

she fired her weapon into a car that had a passenger directly behind the driver from the officers pov and I believe a sgt that had arrived. she failed to wait for the "look of fear officer" to fully get out of the way. she failed to lay out exactly what her trainee should do to effect the arrest BEFORE he was removed from the vehicle in such a way to leave open the eventuality of the driver getting back in the car.  she failed to address her trainees rationale for the stop (being a high crime area, a lot of shootings,  etc.  does that mean everyone in that area should be stopped?) on the premise he had expired tags.  ohio put a hold on those stops that lasted from 3-20 to 7-21.She was the senior officer  and the training officer. claimed she was afraid the driver would drag the trainee, BUT training enforces when hearing taser taser taser the at jeopardy officer disengages so as not to be darted, at which point the chance of being dragged is zero.

SHE FAILED and a man died by her hand. ACCOUNTABLE for more than 7 years but Mn law is Mn law.

Watching that video she was on an angle so the other officer and passenger weren't in danger.  What I was most surprised about is the amount of time she had the gun in her hand for.  She pulled her gun and said "I'll taze you".  She held that gun for a few seconds never realizing she had grabbed the gun and not the tazer.

Seeing that I would force the officers to train w a taser opposite of their shooting hand.  Would it be difficult at first?  Yes.  Train so you know the difference and are proficient with it.
    They are trained to use their weak hand for the taser.  That's why using her strong hand should have stopped her from pulling the trigger.  She should have reasonably known based on her training. 
    She pulled the gun from the same side as the taser.  If she was trained to use her weak hand then that training was not shown here that is for sure.

Edit:  The taser should be holstered opposite her firearm so Left hand, weak hand should have pulled it, not the strong hand right side.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

She pulled the gun from the same side as the taser.  If she was trained to use her weak hand then that training was not shown here that is for sure.

Edit:  The taser should be holstered opposite her firearm so Left hand, weak hand should have pulled it, not the strong hand right side.
    Maybe that was part of the case of negligence then, that she went against her training.  It seems very logical to keep the opposite.  It seems foolish not to do so. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Maybe that was part of the case of negligence then, that she went against her training.  It seems very logical to keep the opposite.  It seems foolish not to do so. 
    I was talking out loud.  They may teach that way but if they do it was apparent that whatever was taught didn't stick.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I was talking out loud.  They may teach that way but if they do it was apparent that whatever was taught didn't stick.

ESPECIALLY for a training officer.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

States diverge on police reforms after George Floyd killing
    By COLLEEN SLEVIN
    Yesterday

DENVER (AP) — Maryland repealed its half-century-old Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights. Washington state reformed use-of-force policies and created a new agency to investigate when officers use deadly force. And California overcame objections from police unions to make sure officers fired in one jurisdiction couldn't be hired in another.

Those are some of the far-reaching policing changes passed this year in response to the 2020 killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. But the first full year of state legislative sessions since his death sparked a summer of racial justice protests produced a far more mixed response in the rest of the country.

A number of states implemented incremental reforms, such as banning chokeholds or tightening rules around use of body cameras, while several Republican-led states responded by granting police even greater authority and passing laws that cracked down on protesters.

The state action on both sides of the debate came as Congress failed to implement policing reforms aimed at boosting officer accountability. The George Floyd Justice in Policing Act passed the U.S. House without a single Republican vote and then collapsed in the evenly divided Senate.

Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, which represents more than 356,000 law enforcement officers, said he thinks it's still possible for Congress to pass police reform, but perhaps only after another deadly case captures the nation's attention.

“Sadly, the only thing we know for sure, it will be a tragedy that will precipitate change,” Pasco said.

He said the trend of states passing their own policing measures depending on their politics is creating more divisions in an already fractured country.

Partisan leanings were in play in Maryland, which 50 years ago became the first state to pass an officers' bill of rights that provided job protections in the police disciplinary process, measures that eventually spread to about 20 other states. This year, it became the first to repeal those rights after lawmakers in the Democratic-controlled General Assembly overrode the veto of Republican Gov. Larry Hogan.

They replaced the bill of rights with new procedures that give civilians a role in police discipline. Democratic lawmakers also united to pass other reforms over Hogan's objections or without his signature, including expanding public access to police disciplinary records and creating a unit in the state attorney general's office to investigate police-involved deaths.

“Other states can use this legislation as a blueprint for creating meaningful police reform,” said Rashawn Ray, a senior fellow at The Brookings Institute.

In Washington state, an ambitious series of reforms will ban police from using chokeholds and no-knock warrants, create a new state agency to investigate police use of deadly force and change the threshold for when officers can use force. Some law enforcement officials have said they are not clear about what they’re required to do, which has led to discrepancies about how to respond to certain situations.

California created a statewide certification system for officers, in part to prevent police fired in one jurisdiction from getting a job somewhere else. The bill stalled in the legislature last year and struggled to gain support again this year in the face of opposition from police unions. It passed after it was amended to allow for the option of an officer's license being suspended as a lesser punishment and to include other safeguards.

“This is not an anti-police bill. This is an accountability bill," said Democratic state Assemblywoman Akilah Weber, who carried the legislation in that chamber. "Without any accountability, we lose the integrity of the badge, and the bond with the community is broken.”

California also required the state attorney general's office to investigate all fatal shootings by police of unarmed civilians, specified when officers have a duty to intervene to prevent or report excessive force, and increased the minimum age to become a police officer from 18 to 21.

The state reform bills passed in 2021 are important because they help promote accountability for police, which can shift officer behavior as long as the changes are enforced, said Puneet Cheema, manager of the Justice in Public Safety Project at the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

To try to prevent violent encounters with the police in the first place, she said governments need to limit what police are asked to do — such as whether or not they should respond to people experiencing a mental health crisis or make certain traffic stops.

“That is a longer-term shift that will lead to the broadest changes in police violence and the role that police play in people’s lives,” Cheema said.

Even some states with divided governments were able to agree on certain reforms.

In Kentucky, Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, signed a partial ban on no-knock warrants approved by the Legislature, where Republicans hold veto-proof supermajorities. The bill was passed after months of demonstrations over the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor in her Louisville home during a botched police raid last year. It permits no-knock warrants if there is “clear and convincing evidence” that the crime being investigated “would qualify a person, if convicted, as a violent offender.”

Many protesters and some Democratic lawmakers had sought a full ban, but the law does prevent cities and towns from banning the warrants completely.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, signed a bill passed by the Republican-led legislature that creates a public database where anyone can check whether an officer's certification has been suspended or revoked. It also creates another confidential database showing cases in which an officer kills or seriously injures someone that is only accessible to law enforcement agencies.

In Louisiana, the Democratic governor and lawmakers in the Republican-controlled Legislature placed new restrictions on the use of chokeholds and no-knock warrants, required detailed policies for body camera and dash camera use, boosted law enforcement agencies’ minority recruitment efforts and required anti-bias training. They also agreed to require suspension or revocation of a police officer’s state certification if the officer committed misconduct.

Some states controlled fully by Republicans moved in the opposition direction and expanded the rights of police officers or cracked down on protesters.

In Iowa, Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds introduced measures at the start of this year’s legislative session to ban racial profiling by police and establish a system to track racial data for police stops. But lawmakers dropped those sections of her proposal and instead passed the Back the Blue Act, which Reynolds signed in June. The law makes it harder to sue and win monetary damages from police accused of misconduct, made rioting a felony and provides legal protection from lawsuits for the driver of a vehicle who might strike a protester.

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt signed a bill that increased penalties for blocking roadways and granting immunity to drivers who kill or injure rioters. It was prompted by an incident in Tulsa last year in which the driver of a pickup truck drove through a crowd gathered on an interstate as part of a protest against Floyd’s killing.

In Ohio, people attending a rally who are accused of violating an anti-riot law could be targeted with a provision normally used against terrorist activity under proposed GOP legislation. Florida also passed a law cracking down on violent protests that had been championed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, but a federal judge has blocked it from taking effect, calling the law “vague and overbroad.”

___

Associated Press writers Melinda Deslatte in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Steve Karnowski in St. Paul, Minnesota; Sean Murphy in Oklahoma City; Gary D. Robertson in Raleigh, North Carolina; Don Thompson in Sacramento, California; and Andrew Welsh-Huggins in Columbus, Ohio, contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Trial to begin for cops accused of violating Floyd's rights
    By AMY FORLITI and STEVE KARNOWSKI
    Yesterday

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The federal trial for three former Minneapolis police officers charged with violating George Floyd's civil rights as Derek Chauvin pinned the Black man's neck to the street is expected to begin Monday with opening statements, after a jury of 18 people was swiftly picked last week.

J. Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao are broadly charged with depriving Floyd of his civil rights while acting under government authority. All three are charged for failing to provide Floyd with medical care and Thao and Kueng face an additional count for failing to stop Chauvin, who was convicted of murder and manslaughter in state court last year.

continues....

Chauvin sentenced to 20 years for violating Floyd’s federal civil rights   https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/07/derek-chauvin-federal-sentencing/ 

Chauvin sentenced to 20 years for violating Floyd’s federal civil rights
    By Holly Bailey
    July 07, 2022 at 16:13 ET
    ST. PAUL, Minn. — Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted last year of murdering George Floyd, was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday on a separate federal charge that he violated Floyd’s civil rights when he pressed his knees into the man’s neck and back and ignored his cries for help.
    Chauvin, 46, pleaded guilty in December as part of a plea deal in which he publicly acknowledged his role in Floyd’s death. For the first time, the former officer admitted that he kept his knees on Floyd’s neck and body even as he heard the man saying he couldn’t breathe and ultimately became unresponsive. He acknowledged he heard bystanders urging him to check Floyd’s pulse but did nothing and blocked others from rendering medical aid. Chauvin also said that he “knew what he was doing was wrong.”
    The plea deal, which Chauvin signed, recommended a federal sentence of 20 to 25 years. Last month, prosecutors pressed U.S. District Judge Paul A. Magnuson, who is overseeing the case, to sentence Chauvin to the full 25 years, arguing that the former officer’s actions were “coldblooded” and that he had abused his power as a police officer by failing to recognize the “humanity” of the person beneath his knees.
    In a separate motion, Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s attorney, had requested no more than a 20-year sentence, pointing to his client’s “acceptance of his wrongdoing” and that he is already serving a 22½-year state sentence for Floyd’s murder. He spoke of Chauvin’s “remorse for the harm that has flowed from his actions” and told the court the former officer would demonstrate that at his sentencing.

continues......

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Anybody else notice how all this shit is just like a catholic missile?  Year A, B C….think you’ve heard the last of someone like Chauvin and just like a Catholic missile here he comes back again.  Just when you think a thread has finally moved to page two it shoots right back to the top of page one again. 
    Anybody else notice how all this shit is just like a catholic missile?  Year A, B C….think you’ve heard the last of someone like Chauvin and just like a Catholic missile here he comes back again.  Just when you think a thread has finally moved to page two it shoots right back to the top of page one again. 

yeah. and now chauvin is done. those 3 other pieces of shit are yet to go. so as updates happen I will post.

I have never heard the phrase "Catholic missile". What does that mean?  
    mrussel1 said:
    So my pre marriage “I want to be a catholic” classes are finally being put to good use.  
    A catholic missile is a book you take to church so you can follow the service.  You may be aware that Catholic services tend to be - let’s see - kind of repetitive.  The missile runs for three years A, B, C then back to A , B C again, and again, and again (repetitive). The only thing that changes is how the sermon is written but the subject must follow the missile calendar.  And I can say that I did not convert because I found the religion to be sad, and mean, and riddled with people who thought guilt was a way to worship God.  It’s all about repenting.  I like to celebrate God, Jesus.  The whole catholic thing just didn’t fit who I am. But, I do know more about the catholic religion than a lot of Catholics so that should tell you something.  
    mickeyrat said:

yeah. and now chauvin is done. those 3 other pieces of shit are yet to go. so as updates happen I will post.
    I know you will and I think a lot of us count on it.   Thanks 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    So my pre marriage “I want to be a catholic” classes are finally being put to good use.  
    A catholic missile is a book you take to church so you can follow the service.  You may be aware that Catholic services tend to be - let’s see - kind of repetitive.  The missile runs for three years A, B, C then back to A , B C again, and again, and again (repetitive). The only thing that changes is how the sermon is written but the subject must follow the missile calendar.  And I can say that I did not convert because I found the religion to be sad, and mean, and riddled with people who thought guilt was a way to worship God.  It’s all about repenting.  I like to celebrate God, Jesus.  The whole catholic thing just didn’t fit who I am. But, I do know more about the catholic religion than a lot of Catholics so that should tell you something.  
    You just debate the priest and ask a lot of leading questions 

I only had to do 4 classes or something.  I honestly never even got the book. It was literally, “fine, you can do confession and communion, and we’re done.” 

My (future) wife was impressed. 😂

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    mrussel1 said:
    Ah you mean "missal".  I really didn't catch that.  And yes, I was raised Catholic. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ah you mean "missal".  I really didn't catch that.  And yes, I was raised Catholic. 
    So you knew what I meant but decided to just fuck with me instead of just correcting my spelling?  So did I pass the test of at least knowing what is was?  No need to answer….I’m done. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So you knew what I meant but decided to just fuck with me instead of just correcting my spelling?  So did I pass the test of at least knowing what is was?  No need to answer….I’m done. 
    I was curious too as I grew up catholic and thought a version of Catholic Missile was something new that I hadn't heard of.  The misspelling definitely threw me for a loop but after you explained it I knew what you meant.

I was really looking forward to a new phrase with an awesome name of Catholic Missile though.  You should copyright that one. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    At least I got the “mean” part correct.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

on its face he didnt know until you offered the explaination. 

fwiw, neither of his responses read to me as fucking with you. he hasnt been one to sandbag anyone that Ive seen.

and your first reply to my link sharing seemed to me as if you'd have preferred this thread keeping falling down the board.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I was curious too as I grew up catholic and thought a version of Catholic Missile was something new that I hadn't heard of.  The misspelling definitely threw me for a loop but after you explained it I knew what you meant.

I was really looking forward to a new phrase with an awesome name of Catholic Missile though.  You should copyright that one. 

Catholic Missle is what happens when thr priest sees the new batch of alter boys ....

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    Interesting article, seems good for this thread 
    BLM/protests/woke/George Floyd  all seem to be basically about the same larger problem 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/08/opinions/woke-war-united-shades-of-america-kamau-bell/index.html

Excerpts:
    Do you believe that our schools should teach an accurate and age-appropriate history of the United States of America?
    I hope the answer is "Yes." If it isn't, then we have a problem. Isn't that why we teach history? So we can learn from it? If it isn't accurate, then the learning ceases to happen.
    Just this week in Texas, a group of nine educators is proposing that schools refer to "slavery" as "involuntary relocation." Nope. "Involuntary relocation" is what happened when my mom decided we were going to move from Boston to Chicago without my permission. As much I hated Chicago at first, I wouldn't compare it to slavery. But this is what the GOP wants. They want America to be the hero in every story told about America's past so that America can then be seen as the hero no matter what unheroic deeds America does in the present or the future. In the lexicon of the GOP, America doesn't have "too many mass shootings." It has "occasional involuntary not-alives."

Critical Race Theory is not about any of that. It is an academic theory of how to look at the law through a racial lens. It asserts that you can't look at the laws in America without considering how America deals with (or doesn't deal with) race. If your child is learning about that in class, then your child is most likely in law school. Not elementary.

I hate to say it, but this "woke war" is a symbol of so much more. Remember those PSAs that said "The more you know" and had a fun jingle? That's all "woke" is. It's the more you know. The more you know the better you're able to maneuver through this life and understand that the world is not all about you.

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

fwiw, neither of his responses read to me as fucking with you. he hasnt been one to sandbag anyone that Ive seen.

and your first reply to my link sharing seemed to me as if you'd have preferred this thread keeping falling down the board.
    Don’t get this….can you explain further 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    No, I wasn't fucking with you.  I thought you were talking about some slang about a Catholic ass rocket.  It wasn't until you described it did I realize it was a homophone.  
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

copied from your reply.....

Just when you think a thread has finally moved to page two it shoots right back to the top of page one again. 

suggests to me out of sight out of mind is better.

And I'm not trying to fight or bait you. I appreciate the passion you bring to this forum. Please, continue expressing yourself as you see fit. Its welcome imo.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

copied from your reply.....

Just when you think a thread has finally moved to page two it shoots right back to the top of page one again. 

suggests to me out of sight out of mind is better.

And I'm not trying to fight or bait you. I appreciate the passion you bring to this forum. Please, continue expressing yourself as you see fit. Its welcome imo.

Out of sight out of mind is kind of what I meant, but more so that nothing ever fucking changes (like the catholic religion). When I get going sometimes my fingers don’t follow my thoughts fast enough.  I should have written it all differently (and spelled it correctly) so as not to be misunderstood. 

I certainly didn’t want it moved down or forgotten about. 

Didn’t think fight or bait at all.  
    Thanks, but sometimes too much passion gets me in a lot of trouble.  
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Catholic Missle is what happens when thr priest sees the new batch of alter boys ....
    Awesome answer
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Ed Mcmahon Hey Oh GIFs  Tenor
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    BLM/protests/woke/George Floyd  all seem to be basically about the same larger problem 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/08/opinions/woke-war-united-shades-of-america-kamau-bell/index.html

Excerpts:
    Do you believe that our schools should teach an accurate and age-appropriate history of the United States of America?
    I hope the answer is "Yes." If it isn't, then we have a problem. Isn't that why we teach history? So we can learn from it? If it isn't accurate, then the learning ceases to happen.
    Just this week in Texas, a group of nine educators is proposing that schools refer to "slavery" as "involuntary relocation." Nope. "Involuntary relocation" is what happened when my mom decided we were going to move from Boston to Chicago without my permission. As much I hated Chicago at first, I wouldn't compare it to slavery. But this is what the GOP wants. They want America to be the hero in every story told about America's past so that America can then be seen as the hero no matter what unheroic deeds America does in the present or the future. In the lexicon of the GOP, America doesn't have "too many mass shootings." It has "occasional involuntary not-alives."

Critical Race Theory is not about any of that. It is an academic theory of how to look at the law through a racial lens. It asserts that you can't look at the laws in America without considering how America deals with (or doesn't deal with) race. If your child is learning about that in class, then your child is most likely in law school. Not elementary.

I hate to say it, but this "woke war" is a symbol of so much more. Remember those PSAs that said "The more you know" and had a fun jingle? That's all "woke" is. It's the more you know. The more you know the better you're able to maneuver through this life and understand that the world is not all about you.

The deliberate and obvious whitewashing (pun intended) of American history is bad enough in and of itself; that so many Americans are willing to go with it is pretty concerning. 

American exceptionalism indeed. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813

Excerpts:

The deliberate and obvious whitewashing (pun intended) of American history is bad enough in and of itself; that so many Americans are willing to go with it is pretty concerning. 

American exceptionalism indeed. 
    They so frequently accuse "the woke left" of being overly insecure and sensitive and unwilling to hear the truth. Keeping in mind that "every accusation is a confession," we should have seen this coming.  "Don't teach actual history because the white kids are snowflakes."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.