Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Tons of tickets available for the Chicago show. Terrible venue, Tuesday night….hoping for a Groupon on this one, or at the least “day of” tickets.
    Is it terrible? I'm thinking of heading there.  I know Phish used to play there a lot.  Are the acoustics awful?
    The area around it is improving dramatically. Lots of bars and restaurants now. It’s just a standard basketball gym, nothing more nothing less. 
    It's a strange decision to play there, considering the number of options in Chicago.  When he was there in 2018, he played the Aragon which seemed cool.

Actually I just talked to my buddy who lives in Chicago.  He said the acoustics were good there and he liked the place.  He compared it to Allstate. 
    Definitely a strange decision. I think jack may have overestimated his ability to sell these larger venues well. I’ll be there for sure now that I see tickets are not moving at all. I’ll wait this one out and grab a ticket last minute. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited December 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Tons of tickets available for the Chicago show. Terrible venue, Tuesday night….hoping for a Groupon on this one, or at the least “day of” tickets.
    Is it terrible? I'm thinking of heading there.  I know Phish used to play there a lot.  Are the acoustics awful?
    The area around it is improving dramatically. Lots of bars and restaurants now. It’s just a standard basketball gym, nothing more nothing less. 
    It's a strange decision to play there, considering the number of options in Chicago.  When he was there in 2018, he played the Aragon which seemed cool.

Actually I just talked to my buddy who lives in Chicago.  He said the acoustics were good there and he liked the place.  He compared it to Allstate. 
    Definitely a strange decision. I think jack may have overestimated his ability to sell these larger venues well. I’ll be there for sure now that I see tickets are not moving at all. I’ll wait this one out and grab a ticket last minute. 
    I think ticket sales in general are moving slower  nowadays. COVID uncertainty and higher ticket prices…

Did a quick check on seat availability at upcoming concerts scheduled for the Xcel Energy Center in St Paul, MN. Almost all shows, except Billie Eilish, are showing over 50% of seats available, some have probably 75% seat available.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Vault 50 arrived yesterday. 

Going to spin it this week on a day off. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Curious as to thoughts on the sound quality. For all the complaining about the Massonic temple, I think this one sounds worse.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,604
    Curious as to thoughts on the sound quality. For all the complaining about the Massonic temple, I think this one sounds worse.
    Great.... when I saw the DVD preview I was immediately concerned...
    To be clear, I was fine with the Masonic recording. 

This one is very vocal forward. Almost like it’s a soundboard vocal and a crisp AUD combined. 
    Also, unless the next 3 XX vaults are great, I'm definitely done with the vault. These Stripes shows are getting to be pretty same-y. I have every one they put out. I think I'm good. His solo material isn't interesting to me anymore and IDK if the Dead Weather are getting back together (i'm just meh on the racs). So its been a good run since Vault 1. TMR has been a great label. 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Also, unless the next 3 XX vaults are great, I'm definitely done with the vault. These Stripes shows are getting to be pretty same-y. I have every one they put out. I think I'm good. His solo material isn't interesting to me anymore and IDK if the Dead Weather are getting back together (i'm just meh on the racs). So its been a good run since Vault 1. TMR has been a great label. 
    Definitely seems like these Vaults have hit their peak a while back and on a downward now. I personally dont need another WS show on vinyl ever. Would be good if they took a break after 50 for a while or did something different. Apart from the DVD for some reason they just put it all in the gatefold and shrinkwrapped Vault 50 and mine has the dreaded split on the top seam. They havent done that for ages, usually so thoughtful with the packaging.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Excited to get mine! Not a big vault collector, but had to get my hands on this one! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Don't get me wrong, its a killer show. And definitely listenable. 
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    Haven't opened mine yet. Am still considering selling. I only have 5-6 vaults in total - and even I am a bit weary on the sound quality.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

I was talking to someone last night who already got theirs and was listening.  He said the same, that the vocals were really far forward.  But then he came back and said after the first two songs, either he got used to it or it re-balanced.  But he walked away happy with the show.  
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

I received mine yesterday.  I couldn't stand the Masonic Temple Vault, and quickly sold it.  If this one sounds worse, I'm done.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:
    I was talking to someone last night who already got theirs and was listening.  He said the same, that the vocals were really far forward.  But then he came back and said after the first two songs, either he got used to it or it re-balanced.  But he walked away happy with the show.  
    You know what. That’s probably the correct take. By the second LP I was way into it. And thinking back it may have gotten better. But he’s absolutely right, I was put off at the start for sure. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Exactly what I'm going to do. I was surprised to see that he was playing the Cross Insurance Arena here in Portland (just under 10K) for concerts as opposed to Thompson's Point, which is outdoors and holds closer to 7500.

Selfishly, I'd rather see him at the State Theater which holds around 2,000. I'm confident I can wait this one out and gets tix when the date is closer.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pretty sure he sold out 13,000 in winnipeg when he was here (and no, no need for any "but there's nothing else to do there" cracks-we're also a very thrifty community, so that balances out I think)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2021
    So I haven't listened to the record yet, but I played the DVD and I liked it a lot.  

First, the audio in teh first two songs was not about the tape, it was the sound mix itself.  Jack tinkers with it after the first two songs because I don't think he heard his guitar at all.  

Second, it was great watching Meg have so much fun playing.  She was in good spirits and really enjoyed herself during the show.  That was nice to see because it's hard not to remember the anxiety ridden Meg that you saw late in the WS years.

What's strange is the photo in the DVD cover. It definitely looks like late JW, wearing a suit that he couldn't afford early.  Plus I don't recall him wearing anything but the red on red during the actual show.  

Great show though.. very much like the Peel sessions to be honest, but a ton of songs.  
    I listened to 3 of the 4 sides today. Going to finish it with my son tomorrow morning. I agree the sound isn’t perfect but it’s not that bad. Not bad at all. Loving the setlist. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

I finished Vault 50 this morning. I thought it was great. I love these live vaults. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

mrussel1 said:
    So I haven't listened to the record yet, but I played the DVD and I liked it a lot.  

First, the audio in teh first two songs was not about the tape, it was the sound mix itself.  Jack tinkers with it after the first two songs because I don't think he heard his guitar at all.  

Very interesting and great catch. Makes sense. I haven’t watched the DVD yet but plan on it this week. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• And the Vault 51 is......

Carole King...

The twittersphere and FB JW diehards are not happy...
    And the Vault 51 is......

Carole King...

I do find it interesting when they pick an artist not related to TMR
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LukinFan said:

Carole King...

Who have they done so far?  Trout mask Beefhart, Loretta lynn, Johnny Cash, Margo Price.  Any others?  Pearl Jam doesn't count do they?
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Will be a sell off for me, but will be getting it to stay current since JW tour time will be coming up.
  • kasedoug said:
    Will be a sell off for me, but will be getting it to stay current since JW tour time will be coming up.
    Tix went on sale already, did you miss out?
    LukinFan said:

Carole King...

Who have they done so far?  Trout mask Beefhart, Loretta lynn, Johnny Cash, Margo Price.  Any others?  Pearl Jam doesn't count do they?
    Bob Dylan, Sleep
  • mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Carole King...

Bob Dylan, Sleep
    Forgot those!
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    kasedoug said:
    Tix went on sale already, did you miss out?
    Got my tickets already. Just want to stay current in case any surprise shows come up, and if they’ll still be doing early entry for shows like they’ve done in the past (beyond the VIP package ticket holders).
    LukinFan said:

Carole King...

Sadly I completely forgot about PJ getting a vault 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LukinFan said:
    LukinFan said:

Carole King...

Sadly I completely forgot about PJ getting a vault 
    lol