Rush, Radiohead, Paul McCartney, U2, Pearl Jam Auctioning Guitars for Charity

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited November 2021 in Vitalogy

Proceeds will go to musicians who have been devastated by the pandemic as part of ‘Music Rising’ charity

The Edge and producer Bob Ezrin have assembled a stunning collection of guitars and other musical instruments from Paul McCartney, Rush, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Joe Walsh, Green Day, Ron Wood, Dave Grohl, Tom Morello, Noel Gallagher, Joan Jett, and many others to benefit Music Rising, the charity they formed in 2005 to aid musicians devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Guitars Icons: A Musical Instrument Auction to Benefit Music Rising will take place on December 11th at Van Eaton Galleries in Los Angeles, but bids will also be accepted via the Internet.

Some of the most notable items come from U2’s private collection, including the 2005 Limited Edition Gibson Les Paul Music Rising guitar that Edge played during “One” on the Joshua Tree tours of 2017 and 2019 along with many other shows during the past 15 years, including the 2006 Grammys where the guitarist performed alongside Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello. They’re also selling the Custom Signature Fender Stratocaster that Edge used on “Bad” and I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” in 2017 and 2019, Adam Clayton’s Fender Standard Precision Bass he used on “A Sort of Homecoming,” “Bullet The Blue Sky,” “Running to Stand Still” and “One Tree Hill” in 2017, and Bono’s Custom Gibson ES-175 Electric Guitar he played throughout the 1992/92 Zoo TV tour on “The Fly” and “Angel of Harlem.”

The organization is also auctioning a Yamaha BB-1200 Electric Bass Guitar that McCartney played on Wings tours in the late Seventies, a Gibson Custom Shop “Victoria” Les Paul Goldtop Model Electric Guitar signed by Slash, Gallagher’s Telecaster guitar he played on the road with the High Flying Birds, an autographed Yamaha Motif-8 Keyboard that Elton John used on the road for nearly a decade, Alex Lifeson’s Signature Hughes & Kettner RUSH Amp and Cabinet Half Stack that were used on Rush’s 40th anniversary tour, a Fender Stratocaster that Eddie Vedder smashed onstage at Wrigley Field in 2018 during the conclusion of “Baba O’Riley,” and three guitars that were played by Lou Reed.

In addition, Ron Wood, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen, the Kings of Leon, Joan Jett, Johnny Marr, Tom Morello, and Win Butler have all contributed signed guitars from their own collections.

coldplay slash bruce springsteen

Van Eaton Galleries

“The music of New Orleans has influenced various styles of music borrowed from early traditions,” The Edge said in a statement. “It is the birthplace of jazz and represents a musical culture which bears great significance to most every genre today.  I can’t imagine what it would feel like to lose my ability to do what I love – making music. Unfortunately there are many musicians and crew members who continue to struggle since the pandemic. If this multigenerational chain is broken, we lose more than just a few concerts we lose an entire culture that stretches back centuries. Some of the world’s greatest musicians and friends of Music Rising have generously donated their personal instruments to raise money for Music Rising. We hope you have a chance to bid on one or more of the beautiful instruments in the auction. The monies raised goes to musicians and crew. Your support continues to be invaluable to Music Rising.”

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

• What if they sold enough Vauklt#1s for everyone to get one for a fair plrice and give all the proceeds to charity?

Wouldn't that be what they call a - win win
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    What if they auctioned off signed stuff here for all the dedicated fans or better yet, did monthly raffles for signed posters and other stuff so the common folk can get a chance to own cool piece of music memorabilia.  Who can afford 1k+ auctions???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    PP193448 said:
    What if they auctioned off signed stuff here for all the dedicated fans or better yet, did monthly raffles for signed posters and other stuff so the common folk can get a chance to own cool piece of music memorabilia.  Who can afford 1k+ auctions???
    @mcgruff10 @bbiggs
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PP193448 said:
    @mcgruff10 @bbiggs
    I don't bid on anything worth less than 10K.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Mystery boxes were packed with great stuff. Let's do it again.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Loujoe said:
    Mystery boxes were packed with great stuff. Let's do it again.
    YES
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Groovy! Thanks for the links.

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,299
    EV smashed guitar already at $37k!!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Not to mention the 21% buyers premium! 😮
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

wwsuicide said:
    EV smashed guitar already at $37k!!
    It will look great in my basement! 

🤣
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    My 37k bid has contingency that my Jeep Wrangler sells for more, so still have a chance… 🤪
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Eddie Vedder’s concert-smashed Lake Placid Blue Fender Telecaster, which sold for $266,200 – a figure that broke the record for the most expensive smashed six-string.

Dear lord!