Record Player Help

2»

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    GlowGirl said:
    Even though I have had my turntable for only a little over a year - I am itching to upgrade. This is the one I want:

Thorens TD 102A Automatic Turntable - Walnut

Is it pretty common to not have a hinged dust cover on more modern turntables? 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    LukinFan said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Even though I have had my turntable for only a little over a year - I am itching to upgrade. This is the one I want:

Only at a high price point.  Usually the lower ones (under a grand) have them.  But photos tend to omit them for sexiness.  You can see a hinge on the back left, so I bet this Thorens has one.  Thorens is an interesting company.  They made some great TTs back in the 70's.  Still do, but vintage collectors really like them.  
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    Thanks everyone. You have convinced me to stir clear of BT. And like I said, I probably would never use it anyway. I really appreciate all of the advice. I still have no clue what I'm going to get though. 
    So two more questions. 

1. Does your integrated amp or pre amp have a phono stage today?
    2. Do you really think you will to to digitize your records? That's the only reason you need a USB. 
    the preamp I use now was pretty cheap. I'm not currently at home, but I do not think it has a phono stage. 

As for the digitalizing records, I don't know...knowing me, I seriously doubt I will. But saying that, I have so many records that I do not have a digital copy of and I wish I did (for on the go listening). But again, I doubt I will ever use it. Maybe in the beginning? 
    Okay, we're getting somewhere now.  There are plenty of good TT's with built in phono stage under the $500 mark.  Music Hall and Orbit immediately come to mind.  The other thing is that they are upgradeable as well.  I think you have to decide on the USB.  Wanting that will limit your options and probably reduce analog quality.  It would keep you in the Technics and I think Sony, maybe one or two more.  Crossley and other garbage would have them, but you don't want any part of that.  
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    Thanks everyone. You have convinced me to stir clear of BT. And like I said, I probably would never use it anyway. I really appreciate all of the advice. I still have no clue what I'm going to get though. 
    So two more questions. 

1. Does your integrated amp or pre amp have a phono stage today?
    2. Do you really think you will to to digitize your records? That's the only reason you need a USB. 
    the preamp I use now was pretty cheap. I'm not currently at home, but I do not think it has a phono stage. 

As for the digitalizing records, I don't know...knowing me, I seriously doubt I will. But saying that, I have so many records that I do not have a digital copy of and I wish I did (for on the go listening). But again, I doubt I will ever use it. Maybe in the beginning? 
      Wanting that will limit your options and probably reduce analog quality.   
    This really helps. I definitely do not want this to happen. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    LukinFan said:
    GlowGirl said:

This one does come with a hinged cover. It’s just not in the photo.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Questions for the tech savvy here. My ATLP150 has a phono/line switch, and my Marantz has a phono input. How should that be connected? I think I have it phono out from the table, to phono in on my Marantz. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited December 2021
    Questions for the tech savvy here. My ATLP150 has a phono/line switch, and my Marantz has a phono input. How should that be connected? I think I have it phono out from the table, to phono in on my Marantz. 
    15 S1?  If so, I'm 99% sure that does not have a built in phono stage, so you would connect it to the phono input on your Pre/Integrated, or use a standalone phone amp. 

edit - I'm sorry, I thought you were saying you had a Marantz TT.  

So I would read the instructions to be 100% sure becuase it can be confusing.  GENERALLY speaking, the phono switch means you connect it to the phone input on your Marantz.  Line level would typically mean connect to the line level (generic input) because the signal is line level (AKA amplified).  But it's super important that you read your manual to be sure. And when you connect, start with teh volume off and then slowly increase it to be safe.  You don't want to blow your speakers. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    mrussel1 said:
    15 S1?  If so, I'm 99% sure that does not have a built in phono stage, so you would connect it to the phono input on your Pre/Integrated, or use a standalone phone amp. 

edit - I'm sorry, I thought you were saying you had a Marantz TT.  

So I would read the instructions to be 100% sure becuase it can be confusing.  GENERALLY speaking, the phono switch means you connect it to the phone input on your Marantz.  Line level would typically mean connect to the line level (generic input) because the signal is line level (AKA amplified).  But it's super important that you read your manual to be sure. And when you connect, start with teh volume off and then slowly increase it to be safe.  You don't want to blow your speakers. 
    Appreciate you dude!! Thanks! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Here are the speakers my wife got me for my birthday. I plan on setting them up this weekend:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-51pm-powered-speakers

www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    Here are the speakers my wife got me for my birthday. I plan on setting them up this weekend:

Very nice! Did you get some quality speaker wire? I use the Monster brand on mine. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    LukinFan said:

Very nice! Did you get some quality speaker wire? I use the Monster brand on mine. 
    I did not, but thank you for the suggestion. I didn't even think of using quality wiring, just what they had in the box. Thanks, Chris! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Fluance has a promo running til 12/15 if you buy an RT85 you can get their PA10 phono amp for free with the code FREEPREAMP.
    Fluance has a promo running til 12/15 if you buy an RT85 you can get their PA10 phono amp for free with the code FREEPREAMP.
    Thanks Dyer! I’ll have to add Fluance to my research 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hey, FSU Loser!

I see you suckered some awesome woman (gotta be a Gator, right) to put up with you and your offspring. 

Since those speakers are powered, might I suggest, instead of a receiver/amp, simply add this a little tube preamp to the chain. It will add some warmth to those killer,  rockin’ Klipsch speakers. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Hey, FSU Loser!

I see you suckered some awesome woman (gotta be a Gator, right) to put up with you and your offspring. 

Since those speakers are powered, might I suggest, instead of a receiver/amp, simply add this a little tube preamp to the chain. It will add some warmth to those killer,  rockin’ Klipsch speakers. 
    Like I’m going to listen to a Gator…
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Kidding of course. Which tube preamp do you suggest, Daniel?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• jrs31jrs31 Posts: 41
    LukinFan said:
    Thanks Dyer! I’ll have to add Fluance to my research 
    I've got the RT85 and PA10 and i am very satisfied!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    LukinFan said:
    Kidding of course. Which tube preamp do you suggest, Daniel?
    Even worse. I’m a Hatter! :grimacing:

The single-tube red Bellari one I have does the trick for me, but there are other options out there—even Pro-Ject has a (pricey!) tube box preamp now—I just haven’t heard them. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    update?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    update?
    I actually got a new turntable this past week: At-LP120XUSB

I'm loving it! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    update?

I'm loving it! 
    Awesome!! I put this cart on it and it was a game changer. Had always used stock AT replacements up until last year. 

https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-red-p-317

Super easy to fit on and go. Basically just plugged the damn thing right into the tonearm. Strongly advise against any other methods unless you an electrician. 

www.cluthelee.com
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    update?

I'm loving it! 
    Awesome!! I put this cart on it and it was a game changer. Had always used stock AT replacements up until last year. 

https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-red-p-317

Super easy to fit on and go. Basically just plugged the damn thing right into the tonearm. Strongly advise against any other methods unless you an electrician. 

I’ve heard great things about that cart! I think when it’s time to replace the stock one, I’ll go with this one. Thanks Chris!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com