MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Wobbie said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Seager to the Rangers....
    Why would you do that to yourself Mr Seager?  Why?

Basement friggin team.  I don't get it.
    I could give you 325 million reasons.
    Players chase the money and for a few less dollars you could still win and be beloved.

I stopped chasing dollars so I could be happier and I am.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,449
    Wobbie said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Seager to the Rangers....
    Why would you do that to yourself Mr Seager?  Why?

Basement friggin team.  I don't get it.
    I could give you 325 million reasons.
    And the income tax difference between California and Texas!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    cutz said:
    Don't you think the pitchers could tell there were using 2 different balls?(I don't recall any word about this during the season)
    I could have sworn the pitchers mentioned this.  The ball felt different hence the ban on the sticky stuff to see what the ball actually did.

That is where I thought the change came from.
    I recall that as well....that's messed up that MLB did that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    cutz said:
    Don't you think the pitchers could tell there were using 2 different balls?(I don't recall any word about this during the season)
    I could have sworn the pitchers mentioned this.  The ball felt different hence the ban on the sticky stuff to see what the ball actually did.

Did the ball feel different because the pitchers didn't have Sticky shit to use?
  • cutz said:
    cutz said:

Did the ball feel different because the pitchers didn't have Sticky shit to use?
    No they noticed right away there was a difference.  Same with the new basketball.  The players know the difference.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    rodent face back with the d*dgers. good place for his rat mug.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Lockout

Hoping it all blows up and they go to a relegation/promotion system
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

No they noticed right away there was a difference.  Same with the new basketball.  The players know the difference.
    Exactly what I thought(pitchers know)
    mets hire the smartest guy in the room.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Ha.  Buck is certainly the smartest guy in every room
    Just ask him!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Wobbie said:
    mets hire the smartest guy in the room.
    Ha.  Buck is certainly the smartest guy in every room
    Just ask him!
    I like it as long as they let him manage.  If they go full on analytics then this won't work.  

he is a great clubhouse manager which they obviously need but if he has no say in a game I don't think he will last long.
    Pretty surprised Kyle Seager is hanging it up. Like Posey. Kershaw ought to consider the same route.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Looks like Fanatics is buying Topps which is good news.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    MayDay10 said:
    Cool. At least it can still be Topps trading cards
    I miss igotid88
  • MayDay10 said:
    Funny I was just writing to an industry friend about this.

No it's not.

Fanatics paid a shit ton of money to acquire those licenses.  They will want a return on their investment.  I can see the presses being wide open for cards and junk era 2.0 upon us.

I hope I am wrong.  I mean they did a hostile takeover w Steiner though...
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I think the real issue here is Fanatics usually wants to own an entire industry, all the merchandise. Additionally, they're pretty involved with NFTs and all that bullshit, so I could see that being their end-game. Which really, really sucks. Imo Topps is just the brand name they want.
  • I think the real issue here is Fanatics usually wants to own an entire industry, all the merchandise. Additionally, they're pretty involved with NFTs and all that bullshit, so I could see that being their end-game. Which really, really sucks. Imo Topps is just the brand name they want.
    Will they produce cards or you think they'll just run with NFT's using the topps name?

Either way I see them doing some form of damage to the industry.  If they can maintain a healthy growth in it then that would be great but I am not sure how they do that?

I am personally excited to see topps chrome basketball cards come back in 2026!
    Yeah, Im thinking itll restore some good football card options.  

• I haven't collected basketball cards since 09 when Panini took over.  I immediately hated their cards...  I still don't care for their Mosaic, Noir and Flawless stuff either.  Wayyyyyyy overpriced.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    MayDay10 said:

No it's not.

Fanatics paid a shit ton of money to acquire those licenses.  They will want a return on their investment.  I can see the presses being wide open for cards and junk era 2.0 upon us.

Junk 2.0 is already upon us and it's only gonna get worse.
  • MayDay10 said:

No it's not.

Junk 2.0 is already upon us and it's only gonna get worse.
    So here is the reason it's technically not 2.0.  Print runs for Topps are not anywhere near what they were back in the day.  You can crunch numbers from a pack of cards.

Panini and basketball prints a decent amount but still not like years before.

What is happening is every one IS collecting, grading and the birth of a common card actually holds value now.

When more people realize that their Henry Owens Orange Auto isn't worth anything they get disgusted because its a rare ass card so it should be worth something, right?

Another 2 years and you might see some lag, as of right now it's not slowing for the bigger cards.
    Its hard to tell about 'junk 2.0' the way cards are produced and consumed now.  Back in the 80s and 90s we only had base sets pretty much.  Now, we have manufactured scarcity, including autographs and relics.  If you have a Vlad Guerrero Jr base rookie card, maybe it wont be all that great... maybe a blue variant or even chrome refractor wont be all that much...

But what about a Guerrero Jr rookie patch/auto that is numbered out of 5?  Or even a 1/1?  A card with a button from Mike Trout's jersey?  

We will see if Fanatics gunks this up.  IMO the card industry does need some sort of jolt.  It is a bit of a confusing mess at this point and could possibly be reigned in a bit.  I am glad Topps and their history/product lines are preserved for the most part.  

I decided to slowly acquire older, pre 80s cards (select 80s too) as those are fairly timeless and if preserved can only maintain or increase value.  I also hate the amount of space that common cards take up that you acquire while chasing nice hits.  

I haven't purchased a pack in a long time, but my wife and I are both huge baseball fans. I still have all of my cards from when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'd like to get her one of the newer autographed cards of her favorite player (Yuli Gurriel) but have no idea where to start...any ideas? Not sure if I should be looking at eBay or if there was somewhere else I should look. Any advice is appreciated!

We met him at Spring Training in 2020, but he wasn't signing that day.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • So I just got back a big sub from grading.  Those are my highlights.  Lowest average card is about $40.  You get a good graded common and people want them because they are affordable and already graded.  Those Guerreros were in a box that I forgot about...  Lucky me.

Scarcity along w a good grade can bring a lot of money for a good players card.  If you have a George Springer 1/1 sick patch auto it might be cool and rare but not worth a lot.

I'm still enjoying it so I hope that Fanatics doesn't F it up.  If all else fails I will just stick to Topps Chrome and Bowman stuff.  Those products all do it for me.
  • mfc2006 said:
    I haven't purchased a pack in a long time, but my wife and I are both huge baseball fans. I still have all of my cards from when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'd like to get her one of the newer autographed cards of her favorite player (Yuli Gurriel) but have no idea where to start...any ideas? Not sure if I should be looking at eBay or if there was somewhere else I should look. Any advice is appreciated!

I'm in a bunch of card groups.  I am sure I can get you one pretty easily.  Price range and I will take care of that for you.

What is your method of acquiring cards?  I cant imagine you got all those Vlads ripping open packs.  I have used ebay.  Also go through a few Breaking groups from facebook (there is one really good/professional guy I have gravitated to).  I have bought some boxes from Topps as they go on sale, utilizing my years experience nabbing Pearl Jam merch and tickets too... but it always seems like I get skunked from Topps boxes and end up with a ton of commons and something like a Cronenworth auto.... which is nice, but I could have just bought it on ebay, saved $150, and not had a box of commons.
    mfc2006 said:

I'm in a bunch of card groups.  I am sure I can get you one pretty easily.  Price range and I will take care of that for you.
    Sending you a pm. Thanks, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • MayDay10 said:

What is your method of acquiring cards?  I cant imagine you got all those Vlads ripping open packs.  I have used ebay.  Also go through a few Breaking groups from facebook (there is one really good/professional guy I have gravitated to).  I have bought some boxes from Topps as they go on sale, utilizing my years experience nabbing Pearl Jam merch and tickets too... but it always seems like I get skunked from Topps boxes and end up with a ton of commons and something like a Cronenworth auto.... which is nice, but I could have just bought it on ebay, saved $150, and not had a box of commons.
    Almost all of these cards were pulled by me.  I do team breaks so you get heavy on certain players and cards.

Buying a box while fun usually doesn't yield the big hit you are looking for.  Picking the Blue Jays or getting them in a random did well for me.  My buddy also says I am the luckiest person he knows, lol.  Having bought the box though, grade some of those bigger rc's and such and you turn a profit.

The Lucianos and Jrod Papers I bought lots of when they were cheap.  I look for lots of players and hold or grade.

I once bought 100 Paper Aaron Judge rcs for $22.  I sold them in 3's for $15.  After the 2nd one I made my money back.  I spend a lot of time with it and try to pick a player right.  Not everything works though.  you should see my Kevin Merrell and Hunter Bishop collection...