America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675

I dunno I have to be honest here.   I came on this thread to read thoughts about the Michigan thing... and there have been stories posted in the last week about kids being killed due to negligence with guns. PLURAL! As in... more than one kid.  A point is trying to be made here about responsible gun owners. Which I honestly interpret as guns aren't the problem, people are. Stupid people being negligent. And that's not wrong. But their being killed with guns.  So it's stupid people + guns. 

What's easier though?  Fixing stupid, or removing guns?  Call me crazy, but removing the guns is just way more easier.  Remove the guns, fix the stupid, and then maybe reintroduce the guns. Know what I mean?

And here's another thing...  because of the stupid... if more responsible gun owners aren't doing more to create gun reform, can they really be considered responsible?  Like, does a responsible gun owner consider him/her self responsible when they see this crap happening so often and are like: "Yeah, but I'm responsible, so our laws don't need changing." 

America, get rid of your guns....  fix your stupid. The figures are there. The numbers are there. The stories are there. This isn't fake news. People are dying. Kids are dying. This isn't opinion. This is fact. Stop the BS. Stop the excuses. Face the facts. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Parksy said:

I dunno I have to be honest here.   I came on this thread to read thoughts about the Michigan thing... and there have been stories posted in the last week about kids being killed due to negligence with guns. PLURAL! As in... more than one kid.  A point is trying to be made here about responsible gun owners. Which I honestly interpret as guns aren't the problem, people are. Stupid people being negligent. And that's not wrong. But their being killed with guns.  So it's stupid people + guns. 

What's easier though?  Fixing stupid, or removing guns?  Call me crazy, but removing the guns is just way more easier.  Remove the guns, fix the stupid, and then maybe reintroduce the guns. Know what I mean?

And here's another thing...  because of the stupid... if more responsible gun owners aren't doing more to create gun reform, can they really be considered responsible?  Like, does a responsible gun owner consider him/her self responsible when they see this crap happening so often and are like: "Yeah, but I'm responsible, so our laws don't need changing." 

America, get rid of your guns....  fix your stupid. The figures are there. The numbers are there. The stories are there. This isn't fake news. People are dying. Kids are dying. This isn't opinion. This is fact. Stop the BS. Stop the excuses. Face the facts. 
    We have a big problem with facts here.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    CM189191 said:
    The father of the 15 year old suspect purchased the handgun and three magazines that may have been involved. Should pops be held “responsible?” The family has lawyered up. ‘Murica, thoughts and prayers.
    You don't read about the responsible ones.

I am all for punishing anyone whom can't without a shadow of a doubt, keep their weapons secure and they get used for a crime.

It's become abundantly clear that there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner

To that point, gun owners and manufacturers should be held accountable under 'Strict Liability'

There are two broad categories of activities for which a plaintiff may be held strictly liable - possession of certain animals and abnormally dangerous activities

As an example: Courts have often identified blasting (the controlled use of explosives to break down or remove rocks) as the paradigm of an abnormally dangerous activity because of its inherent dangers, and they applied strict liability in cases where blasting resulted in physical harm. The victims of physical harm resulting from blasting were often totally innocent and uninvolved in the activity, while the persons conducting the blasting were doing so for their own financial benefit and were well-aware of the risks. Courts therefore took the position that defendants should be held strictly liable for any harm caused by projected debris. 

Guns can and should be treated the same way. 
    You own a gun?  You are held strictly liable for any/all damage caused by that gun.
    Mandatory liability insurance for the gun owner.

I know your view and guns are the spawn of Satan and I will say no to most of this.  If a gun manufacturer can be held liable then a person that dies in a speeding car crash should be able to sue the car manufacturer for making it able to drive over the legal speed limit...
    You make a good point.  But its comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.  The OP used explosives and blasting as an example.  Which ... to most people who use common sense... are weapons.  Explosives are built to destroy. That's their purpose.  

Cars compared to guns.  

Cars are built and designed to move people and things. Transportation.  That's the category a car would fall under... Transportation.  A gun is a weapon.  That's the category a gun would fall under.  So whether it's legal purposes or insurance purposes... should both categories Transportation and Weapon be equally scrutinized  No, not in my opinion. But I do see your point. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Parksy said:
    CM189191 said:
    The father of the 15 year old suspect purchased the handgun and three magazines that may have been involved. Should pops be held “responsible?” The family has lawyered up. ‘Murica, thoughts and prayers.

I am all for punishing anyone whom can't without a shadow of a doubt, keep their weapons secure and they get used for a crime.

It's become abundantly clear that there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner

To that point, gun owners and manufacturers should be held accountable under 'Strict Liability'

There are two broad categories of activities for which a plaintiff may be held strictly liable - possession of certain animals and abnormally dangerous activities

As an example: Courts have often identified blasting (the controlled use of explosives to break down or remove rocks) as the paradigm of an abnormally dangerous activity because of its inherent dangers, and they applied strict liability in cases where blasting resulted in physical harm. The victims of physical harm resulting from blasting were often totally innocent and uninvolved in the activity, while the persons conducting the blasting were doing so for their own financial benefit and were well-aware of the risks. Courts therefore took the position that defendants should be held strictly liable for any harm caused by projected debris. 

You own a gun?  You are held strictly liable for any/all damage caused by that gun.

I know your view and guns are the spawn of Satan and I will say no to most of this.  If a gun manufacturer can be held liable then a person that dies in a speeding car crash should be able to sue the car manufacturer for making it able to drive over the legal speed limit...
    You make a good point.  But its comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.  The OP used explosives and blasting as an example.  Which ... to most people who use common sense... are weapons.  Explosives are built to destroy. That's their purpose.  

Cars compared to guns.  

Cars are built and designed to move people and things. Transportation.  That's the category a car would fall under... Transportation.  A gun is a weapon.  That's the category a gun would fall under.  So whether it's legal purposes or insurance purposes... should both categories Transportation and Weapon be equally scrutinized  No, not in my opinion. But I do see your point. 
    I dropped the car comment as it will fall on deaf ears... At least you gave me something though.  Yes I do understand the difference between the two,  the manspalining was not needed.

This thread just gets...  worse by the page.  I'm hardly believing that Texas video is even real.  Based on all your reactions... it is real?  Like... that happened? Guy pulled a gun on a trespasser, trespasser stupidly tried to grab the gun, the trespasser gets shot dead, and people are like "hey, you started it... we should call 9-1-1."  And the conversation just continues... with a fuckin guy shot dead laying there? Like... it's just another Sunday? Wow. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    This thread just gets...  worse by the page.  I'm hardly believing that Texas video is even real.  Based on all your reactions... it is real?  Like... that happened? Guy pulled a gun on a trespasser, trespasser stupidly tried to grab the gun, the trespasser gets shot dead, and people are like "hey, you started it... we should call 9-1-1."  And the conversation just continues... with a fuckin guy shot dead laying there? Like... it's just another Sunday? Wow. 
    I live in Texas...I'm willing to bet this is real.  I think some people aren't aware of how many loony tunes are out there and capable of doing something like this, because they think they are morally right.
    Scio me nihil scire

Parksy said:
    CM189191 said:

Cars compared to guns.  

I dropped the car comment as it will fall on deaf ears... At least you gave me something though.  Yes I do understand the difference between the two,  the manspalining was not needed.

What's 'manspalining'?  If it's offensive, no offence was intended and I offer apologies. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    static111 said:
    Parksy said:
    I live in Texas...I'm willing to bet this is real.  I think some people aren't aware of how many loony tunes are out there and capable of doing something like this, because they think they are morally right.
    silenced shotgun....I thought it was a bb gun at first but holy shit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CM189191 said:
    You really bring nothing good to any conversation as of late.

If I did pray would you demonize me for that too?

Hail Satan then.

Wow...

submitted without additional comment
    lol you got me.  On what I don't know but you got me.

Only thing I can think of is that you think I actually worship satan and if that's true then whooo boy...

say what you like about the tenets of Satanism, at least it's an ethos
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426

Michigan teen charged in Oxford High School shooting
    By COREY WILLIAMS and ED WHITE
    57 mins ago

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A 15-year-old boy was charged with murder and terrorism for a shooting that killed four fellow students and injured others at a Michigan high school, authorities said Wednesday, revealing that his parents were summoned just a few hours before the bloodshed.

No motive was offered by Oakland County authorities, a day after violence at Oxford High School, roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Detroit. But prosecutor Karen McDonald said the shooting was premeditated, based on a “mountain of digital evidence” collected by police.

“This was not just an impulsive act,” McDonald said.

Indeed, sheriff's Lt. Tim Willis told a judge that Ethan Crumbley recorded a video the night before the violence in which he discussed killing students.

Crumbley was charged as an adult with murder, attempted murder, terrorism causing death and gun crimes. During his arraignment, he replied, “Yes, I do,” when asked if he understood the charges. Defense attorney Scott Kozak entered a plea of not guilty.

“He deliberately brought the handgun that day with the intent to murder as many students as he could,” assistant prosecutor Marc Keast said in successfully arguing for no bail and a transfer to jail from a juvenile facility.

Earlier, Sheriff Mike Bouchard told reporters that Crumbley’s parents were called to the school Tuesday “for behavior in the classroom that was concerning.” The teen remained in school, and the shooting occurred a few hours later.

Keast said in court that Crumbley entered a bathroom with a backpack and came out holding a semi-automatic handgun, firing at students while moving down the hallway. The four students who were killed were identified as 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin and 17-year-old Justin Shilling.

Bouchard didn’t offer details about what had troubled school officials. He said investigators believe the gun was already in school.

“There is nothing that he could have faced that would warrant senseless, absolutely brutal violence on other kids,” the sheriff said.

Deputies rushed to the school around lunchtime Tuesday and arrested Crumbley in a hallway within minutes of the shooting. His father bought the 9 mm Sig Sauer gun last week, according to the sheriff.

McDonald said charges were being considered against the parents.

“Owning a gun means securing it properly and locking it and keeping the ammunition separate,” she said.

The shooting should be a wake-up call for new gun laws in a country that has become “desensitized to school shootings,” McDonald told reporters.

“We have to do better,” the prosecutor said without offering specific changes. “How many times does this have to happen? How many times?”

She said the terrorism charge also fits.

“What about all the children who ran, screaming, hiding under desks? ... Those are victims, too, and so are their families and so is the community,” McDonald said.

Video posted on social media showed students rushing to get out of first-floor classroom windows rather than open a door to someone who claimed to be a police officer. The sheriff said he likely was a detective.

After the attack, authorities learned of social media posts about threats of a shooting at the roughly 1,700-student school. The sheriff stressed how crucial it is for such tips to be sent to authorities, while also cautioning against spreading social media rumors before a full investigation.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth grader, told Detroit television station WJBK that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from the face. They then ran from the area through the rear of the school, she said.

A concerned parent, Robin Redding, said her son, 12th-grader Treshan Bryant, stayed home Tuesday after hearing threats of a possible shooting.

“This couldn’t be just random,” she said.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.

___

Associated Press journalists Ryan Kryska, Mike Householder and David Aguilar in Oxford Township, Michigan; Kathleen Foody in Chicago; and Josh Boak in Rosemount, Minnesota, contributed to this report. AP researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York also contributed.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    A 15-year-old boy was charged with murder and terrorism
    Murder and Terrorism
    TERRORISM

Good.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    They are also talking about charging his parents with a crime because they didn't lock up the gun. This also seems like a no brainer.
    JB16057 said:
    They are also talking about charging his parents with a crime because they didn't lock up the gun. This also seems like a no brainer.
    providing material support for terrorism

good.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Surprise surprise his parents are trashy Trump supporters too

This country has a severe mental health problem

Compounded by a severe gun problem
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Well yea. These are the only shootings that get talked about here. Here in NYC there are shootings all the time. Most are not Trump supporters but I’m not sure why that even matters . 
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Well yea. These are the only shootings that get talked about here. Here in NYC there are shootings all the time. Most are not Trump supporters but I’m not sure why that even matters . 

theres school shooting all the time in ny?

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

My guess is that black on black gun violence doesn’t bother people as much as white on white, black on white, or white on black.  I realize it’s not just black on black in NY but Americans seem to expect certain types of violence in certain areas.  Might/does this make sense?   

Let’s see, we have religious, race, gender, and now political affiliation to blame for our issues.  Political is just the flavor of the times right now.  
    edited December 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Mass shootings. Don’t act like we only focus on the color of skin and politics when it’s a school shooting here. I’m also curious why that poster had nothing to say about the BLM supporting, racist dude who murdered 6? People including a child with his vehicle? The division is incredible. The outrage about this, but not that is laughable. It makes me wonder if extremists on either side actually care about the victims, or the race and politics of the murderer? 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

My guess is that black on black gun violence doesn’t bother people as much as white on white, black on white, or white on black.  I realize it’s not just black on black in NY but Americans seem to expect certain types of violence in certain areas.  Might/does this make sense?   

Let’s see, we have religious, race, gender, and now political affiliation to blame for our issues.  Political is just the flavor of the times right now.  
    Oh for sure I get it. I don’t understand it but I get it. It’s like people are keeping score to own the other side. It’s sick imo
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Mass shootings. Don’t act like we only focus on the color of skin and politics when it’s a school shooting here. I’m also curious why that poster had nothing to say about the BLM supporting, racist dude who murdered 6? People including a child with his vehicle? The division is incredible. The outrage about this, but not that is laughable. It makes me wonder if extremists on either side actually care about the victims, or the race and politics of the murderer? 

when and where did the 6 death shooting occur?

oh I see now. ummm this is a GUN violence thread?  and discussion was had at least briefly about that crime in the floyd protest thread. discussion with limited info reported or at least 75/25% spilt between speculation and known fact.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gun-sales-black-friday-renew-safety-laws-2021-12  The FBI conducted 687,788 background checks related to firearm purchases during the week leading up to and including Black Friday.

mickeyrat said:
    oh I see now. ummm this is a GUN violence thread?  and discussion was had at least briefly about that crime in the floyd protest thread. discussion with limited info reported or at least 75/25% spilt between speculation and known fact.
    Ummm ok! Thanks for the help. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

If you look at the headlines, listen to the GQP narrative, comments on AMT:
     'Gun violence is an urban problem caused by liberals running their liberal cities'
    'Rural areas don't have a gun problem, because they're a bunch of bootstrap conservative who respect their guns'

That's simply not true. 
    It matters because people say stuff like 'here in NYC there are shootings all the time', without thinking past the nose on their face.
    Unfortunately, some are unable to grasp the concept of 'more people = more guns = more guns violence'
    Rural, conservative areas have just as much gun violence as liberal urban areas.

So here you have a conservative family, in a rural area, now responsible for 4 deaths and a handful of injuries. 
    And conservatives will again send their 'thoughts' and prayers; without ever actually having to think.
    There is a classroom video circulating where the shooter is knocking on a classroom door saying he is the sheriff and to let him in....if anyone would have opened that door who knows how many more he would have killed.

Insane

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    There is a classroom video circulating where the shooter is knocking on a classroom door saying he is the sheriff and to let him in....if anyone would have opened that door who knows how many more he would have killed.

Insane
    Scary…. those kids showed incredible judgement in that situation. 
    edited December 2021
    https://nypost.com/2021/12/02/michigan-school-shooter-did-not-impersonate-cop-in-viral-video/

my bad....it has since come out that it was an actual detective at the door

Funny how bad info can spread so quickly via social media

but yes...the students still showed incredible judgement as you said...better safe than sorry
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

'Gun violence is an urban problem caused by liberals running their liberal cities'
    'Rural areas don't have a gun problem, because they're a bunch of bootstrap conservative who respect their guns'

That's simply not true. 
    It matters because people say stuff like 'here in NYC there are shootings all the time', without thinking past the nose on their face.
    Unfortunately, some are unable to grasp the concept of 'more people = more guns = more guns violence'
    Rural, conservative areas have just as much gun violence as liberal urban areas.

So here you have a conservative family, in a rural area, now responsible for 4 deaths and a handful of injuries. 
    And conservatives will again send their 'thoughts' and prayers; without ever actually having to think.
    You’re so used to arguing that you’re not even listening anymore. Just spewing out the same automated rebuttals you read over and over again. I never compared red and blue states.  All I said was there’s only a certain type of gun violence that angers you and other extremists. It’s no better than Tucker Carlson and Joy Reid with their racist, extreme fear mongering views. You do not look at all gun violence equally. The same way as those conservatives nuts don’t either. What are democrats doing to curb the gun violence in certain states? Anything? Doesn’t seem to be getting better. ANYWHERE. But keep focusing on only one type, while making excuses for the other. 

“Without thinking past the nose on their face” holy shit. Is that how you have a discussion with people in real life? Or only on message boards. Hopefully one day everyone will be as brilliant as you. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's simply not true. 

You’re so used to arguing that you’re not even listening anymore. Just spewing out the same automated rebuttals you read over and over again. I never compared red and blue states.  All I said was there’s only a certain type of gun violence that angers you and other extremists. It’s no better than Tucker Carlson and Joy Reid with their racist, extreme fear mongering views. You do not look at all gun violence equally. The same way as those conservatives nuts don’t either. What are democrats doing to curb the gun violence in certain states? Anything? Doesn’t seem to be getting better. ANYWHERE. But keep focusing on only one type, while making excuses for the other. 

“Without thinking past the nose on their face” holy shit. Is that how you have a discussion with people in real life? Or only on message boards. Hopefully one day everyone will be as brilliant as you. 
    We can only aspire to the brilliant brilliancy of some of our fellow members.
    Scio me nihil scire

This discussion has been closed.