POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (SOUTH) ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited November 2021 in Other Music
Ok, with the new 'WEAKEST LINK' I will be staying with music and bands. However this time we will debate the greatest American Band.

Now since there are so many that limiting it to 10 would only cause chaos and confusion. I have decided to spread this 'Weakest Link' out into 4 different Polls. These polls will be identified tournament style as East, South, West, and North. I have tried to keep some cohesion with the band and geographic poll they are placed in, but couldn't do it for all. These polls WILL be occurring at the same time, so you will need to place votes in all 4 polls for each round. I did this so it wouldn't take so long to complete.

Each of the 4 polls will be narrowed down to the final 2, then I will take the 2 from each poll and make a Championship poll with 8 bands.

Alright, so here go. Lets determine the GREATEST AMERICAN BAND. SOUTH REGION

You are going to pick the band that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) bands with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 3.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
ZZ Top
R.E.M.
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Allman Brothers Band
Booker T. & the M.G.'s
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
REO Speedwagon - Eliminated Round 1
Motley Crue - Eliminated Round 1

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (SOUTH) ROUND 2 48 votes

2%
cutz 1 vote
Z Top
10%
pjhawksmcgruff10tbergspledgeagrievanceTim Simmons 5 votes
R.E.M.
4%
DukeSpiritAbe Froman 2 votes
Lynyrd Skynyrd
14%
2-feign-reluctancemfc2006HesCalledDyerMay 30thed243421brianluxultrapig 7 votes
The Allman Brothers Band
2%
goldrush 1 vote
Booker T. & the M.G.'s
39%
Ponciermr bunglepjl44jwhjr17BrainofBGADewieCoxRP112579GlowGirlAW124797brewdog123eddiecF Me In The BrainHobbesOffSheGoes35NSL1ThoughtKnownmschostokwilliscummingsbbiggs 19 votes
Red Hot Chili Peppers
8%
YefaCarryTheZeromickeyratKearn5y 4 votes
18%
Spiritual_ChaoserebusdankindAsterisk on the StreetBLACK35eeriepadavejoe159HughFreakingDillonrossstothers 9 votes

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    only voted for them cause i'm not as familiar with their work like the other artists
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for playing.
  • Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    Blux commented in round one how good they are. Not saying they aren’t excellent musicians (they are), but they were the weakest link on the list. 
    It isn’t always hatred. Sometimes you just have to vote for one of them. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    only voted for them c6ause i'm not as familiar with their work like the other artists

my God man. you must correct this error now.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    12 votes already for Booker T.?  Really?  :anguished:
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Only a couple of decent songs, still not a go to for me when I want to listen to ‘classic rock’ 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Z Top
    mickeyrat said:
    only voted for them c6ause i'm not as familiar with their work like the other artists

Says the guy voting RHCP while ZZ Top is still on the list. Who are you people?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Z Top
    brianlux said:
    Yeah, Booker T is definitely ahead of some of these others. Still maybe in the middle. Probably around 6 on the list for me.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

zz top is the shit.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:

zz top is the shit.

That is a fact. They're fucking great.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Can't believe that SRV has received so many votes.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    brianlux said:
    Sorry Brian. I'm the least familiar with their work and I just really like the rest of this list.

I'm just wondering what cutz's excuse is. :lol: Maybe it's a doppelganger avatar I'm looking at.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    brianlux said:
    Sorry Brian. I'm the least familiar with their work and I just really like the rest of this list.

I'm just wondering what cutz's excuse is. :lol: Maybe it's a doppelganger avatar I'm looking at.

Just off hand, I believe Booker T. and the M.G.'s are probably the oldest band within the 4 current polls.  They date back to 1962, so not surprising they are not as well know.  I'm guessing more folks here are familiar with The Blues Brothers, the core of that band being the same core as Booker T. and the M.G.s minus Booker T. himself.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Just off hand, I believe Booker T. and the M.G.'s are probably the oldest band within the 4 current polls.  They date back to 1962, so not surprising they are not as well know.  I'm guessing more folks here are familiar with The Blues Brothers, the core of that band being the same core as Booker T. and the M.G.s minus Booker T. himself.
    I was going to search them out on Spotify before I voted, but thought better of it, because I didn't want the voting to be that much more difficult. I'm sure I will like them once I give them a listen, because I like all the other bands on this list. Thank you for the information! 
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I was going to search them out on Spotify before I voted, but thought better of it, because I didn't want the voting to be that much more difficult. I'm sure I will like them once I give them a listen, because I like all the other bands on this list. Thank you for the information! 

Sure thing! 
    Booker T. and the M.G.s are (sorry to say, soon to be were) and interesting option for this poll.  There are definitely some pop and rock elements in their music but I tend to think of them more as an instrumental r&b/soul/funk/pop band, kind of in that same vein with the Ramsey Lewis Trio, King Curtis, or Jr. Walker and the All Stars.

A good place to start with Booker T. is either with their first album, Green Onions, or perhaps the Atlantic compilation, The Best of Booker T. and the M.G.s

Also interesting to note is that Neil Young made a rather disappointing album called Are You Passionate, much of which used B. T. and the M.G.s as his backing band.  As much as that is an unusually flat Neil record, I've read that Young and Booker T. and company did some really hot live work together.  I'd always hope an album of that material would surface (or maybe it has somewhere and I missed it?)

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    brianlux said:

No excuse. NONE, as I've never was a fan of TP & the HB. 

Why is Stevie getting so many Votes?
  • Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    brianlux said:

Also interesting to note is that Neil Young made a rather disappointing album called Are You Passionate, much of which used B. T. and the M.G.s as his backing band.  As much as that is an unusually flat Neil record, I've read that Young and Booker T. and company did some really hot live work together.  I'd always hope an album of that material would surface (or maybe it has somewhere and I missed it?)
    I hope the right Neil Young fan comes across this post, and gives you some good news!
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    brianlux said:

I hope the right Neil Young fan comes across this post, and gives you some good news!

Yes!  I would love it!

• Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

No excuse. NONE, as I've never was a fan of TP & the HB. 

Why is Stevie getting so many Votes?
    I'm going to guess:

a) Unfamiliar with Stevie Ray's music.
    b) Didn't care for his voice.
    c) Jealous of his fashion sense.

I would be absolutely stunned if it had anything to do with his guitar playing. 
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes!  I would love it!
    The Neil Young boot from Stockholm 1993
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes!  I would love it!

Sorry, no can do Neil Young Bootlegs.  I have one from the 70's and the only reason I have it and the only reason I keep it is because a very close friend gave it to me about 20 years ago.  No way would I purchase a Neil bootleg and dishonor the man.

No, I'm hoping some day for an official release of N.Y. backed by Booker T. and the M.G.s.  That would be cool!

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    who is Z TOP?

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    mickeyrat said:
    who is Z TOP?

Zay ess zee opahseet of zee bottoooom.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    The Allman Brothers Band
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes!  I would love it!

Sorry, no can do Neil Young Bootlegs.  I have one from the 70's and the only reason I have it and the only reason I keep it is because a very close friend gave it to me about 20 years ago.  No way would I purchase a Neil bootleg and dishonor the man.

No, I'm hoping some day for an official release of N.Y. backed by Booker T. and the M.G.s.  That would be cool!
    My first Neil show was with Booker T (Finsbury Park 93). They were such a tight backing group - Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn were great. Maybe not what you’d expect with Neil being so loose, but it really worked. I’m hoping it appears as a timeline concert on NYA one day. 
    The encores alone were amazing - All Along The Watchtower, (Sitting On) The Dock Of The Bay, and RITFW with Pearl Jam  =)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes!  I would love it!

Never said you should "buy it".

It sounds great anywho.

I guess someday Neil might release a show from that tour. Maybe even one with PJ joining in on RITFW.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes!  I would love it!

My first Neil show was with Booker T (Finsbury Park 93). They were such a tight backing group - Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn were great. Maybe not what you’d expect with Neil being so loose, but it really worked. I’m hoping it appears as a timeline concert on NYA one day. 
    The encores alone were amazing - All Along The Watchtower, (Sitting On) The Dock Of The Bay, and RITFW with Pearl Jam  =)

Wow!  Sounds like a great show!

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Booker T. & the M.G.'s with 19 votes and Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble with 9 votes have been eliminated in Round 2
This discussion has been closed.