POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (SOUTH) ROUND 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited November 2021 in Other Music
Ok, with the new 'WEAKEST LINK' I will be staying with music and bands. However this time we will debate the greatest American Band.

Now since there are so many that limiting it to 10 would only cause chaos and confusion. I have decided to spread this 'Weakest Link' out into 4 different Polls. These polls will be identified tournament style as East, South, West, and North. I have tried to keep some cohesion with the band and geographic poll they are placed in, but couldn't do it for all. These polls WILL be occurring at the same time, so you will need to place votes in all 4 polls for each round. I did this so it wouldn't take so long to complete.

Each of the 4 polls will be narrowed down to the final 2, then I will take the 2 from each poll and make a Championship poll with 8 bands.

Alright, so here go. Lets determine the GREATEST AMERICAN BAND. SOUTH REGION

You are going to pick the band that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) bands with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 2.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
ZZ Top
R.E.M.
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Allman Brothers Band
Booker T. & the M.G.'s
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
REO Speedwagon
Motley Crue

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (SOUTH) ROUND 1 53 votes

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
0%
ZZ Top
3%
mcgruff10PJ_Soul 2 votes
R.E.M.
0%
Lynyrd Skynyrd
3%
static111HesCalledDyer 2 votes
The Allman Brothers Band
0%
Booker T. & the M.G.'s
15%
darwinstheorypjl44BrainofBGAEA5429RP112579brewdog1231ThoughtKnownbbiggs 8 votes
Red Hot Chili Peppers
1%
Yefa 1 vote
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
1%
goldrush 1 vote
REO Speedwagon
43%
pjhawksPoncierLedbetterman10mr bungleSpiritual_Chaosmfc2006jjflashAW124797RS151862dankinded243421Asterisk on the Streetjpayne1976eeriepadavebrianluxF Me In The BrainHobbesOffSheGoes35NSL23scidoo 23 votes
Motley Crue
30%
2-feign-reluctancecutzCarryTheZeromickeyratComeToTXtbergspledgeagrievanceTim SimmonsDC29940erebusGlowGirlJohnny Abruzzoeddiectempo_n_grooveHughFreakingDillonwilliscummings 16 votes
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    REO Speedwagon
    I dunno about this whole 'southern' geography thing. Maybe southern Cali :wink:
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    jjflash said:
    I dunno about this whole 'southern' geography thing. Maybe southern Cali :wink:
    Ha, I know... had to make a stretch for a few bands.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    REO Speedwagon
    The Crue gonna go out in round one?  Nooooo
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • EA5429EA5429 Posts: 25
    Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    Someone forgot the Black Crowes
    Rocks76
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Motley Crue
    Never really understood their appeal. Also, Nikkki Sixx is a douche. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    REO Speedwagon
    Sorry, RE(n)O
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• REO Speedwagon
    Where are My Jacket of the Morning and The Blackest of Crowes?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    REO Speedwagon

There will inevitably be favorites on all four corners of the compass.  I would love to have seen Dinosaur Jr, The Dream Syndicate, The Replacements, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Television, New York Dolls, and a plethora of others bands on these polls, but I didn't do the work of making it happen so no complaints.  We're here for the fun of it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• REO Speedwagon
    brianlux said:

There will inevitably be favorites on all four corners of the compass.  I would love to have seen Dinosaur Jr, The Dream Syndicate, The Replacements, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Television, New York Dolls, and a plethora of others bands on these polls, but I didn't do the work of making it happen so no complaints.  We're here for the fun of it!
    I wanna vote for Swifty Taytay :(
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Motley Crue
    I was going to pick Booker T because I don’t know any of their songs. But I decided on Motley Crue because I do know some of their songs 
  • Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    REO Speedwagon is going to go out first round because no one here has seen them live. I saw them live by accident in 09 and they were awesome. Rocked the place 
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    REO Speedwagon
    I know this is all for fun but how is the Crue not in the West bracket?
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    brianlux said:

Neil is Canadian?
    REO Speedwagon
    brianlux said:

Neil is Canadian?

True, but I believe he now has dual citizenship.  Plus the rest of Crazy Horse are American.

Maybe M will do an international band poll which could including, among others,  NY and Crazy Horse and The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Motley Crue
    REO Speedwagon is going to go out first round because no one here has seen them live. I saw them live by accident in 09 and they were awesome. Rocked the place 
    I saw them live and I'll be happy to vote them out (maybe not this round).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Motley Crue
    I think Motley Crue should have been swapped w CCR.  They both seem to be in the wrong part of the map.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Motley Crue
    seen them about 5 times. they had a regular show at the ohio state fair....

you're  right, damn good show.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I think Motley Crue should have been swapped w CCR.  They both seem to be in the wrong part of the map.
    Yea, I could see that based on the style of CCR music, but since they were out of California I initially placed them in the west and never changed it. Crue, I was just looking for an opening... and since they were from Southern California.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    REO Speedwagon
    Who are they??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    REO Speedwagon
    23scidoo said:
    Who are they??
    They take it on the run. And they can run right out of this poll!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Motley Crue
    mfc2006 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Who are they??
    Dudes! Golden Country!? Classic! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Motley Crue
    mfc2006 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Who are they??
    heard it from a friend who.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    REO Speedwagon
    mickeyrat said:
    mfc2006 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Who are they??
    heard it from a friend who.....

heard it from a friend who said they won't be hangin' round...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited November 2021
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Edit
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    Motley Crue
    mfc2006 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Who are they??
    When I was a kid I loved “Time for me to Fly”  :)
    REO Speedwagon
    mfc2006 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Who are they??
    Dudes! Golden Country!? Classic! 

Speaking of classic country- would be fun to do a poll of classic country artist- Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings , Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams,  Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynne, Bob Wills, Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb, George Jones, Jim Reeves, Charley Pride...
    ah oh, too many already!

Motley Crue
    All I can say is, @MedozK has outdone himself here folks. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Booker T. & the M.G.'s
    All I can say is, @MedozK has outdone himself here folks. 
    👍
    edited November 2021
    REO Speedwagon
    Surprising to so so many votes for Booker T. and the M. G.s  Those guys were phenomenal.   Booker T, Steve Cropper, "Duck" Dunn, various drummers including the very fine Al Jackson Jr. and Anton Fig.  Those guys, all with their excellent chops, fine funk and groove,  ultra cool instrumental workouts, totally smoke half those other bands.  I don't mean to come across as a smart ass, but I'll bet quite a few of the guys in most of those other bands would agree.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• REO Speedwagon
    brianlux said:
    Surprising to so so many votes for Booker T. and the M. G.s  Those guys were phenomenal.   Booker T, Steve Cropper, "Duck" Dunn, various drummers including the very fine Al Jackson Jr. and Anton Fig.  Those guys, all with their excellent chops, fine funk and groove,  ultra cool instrumental workouts, totally smoke half those other bands.  I don't mean to come across as a smart ass, but I'll bet quite a few of the guys in most of those other bands would agree.
    Anton Fig played on Ace Frehleys solo album and with KISS. 
This discussion has been closed.