Primus

pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Hey dudes, i wanna buy some primus cds and im just wondering if you people have any suggestions about some of their better albums...any help is appreciated..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    my personal fav is "pork soda", but they are all great. "sailing the seas of cheese" is also great! enjoy that Primus! les claypool is awesome!
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Frizzle Fry and Sailing the Seas of Cheese to start with. After you're hooked on those you'll HAVE TO own all the others! Also be sure to pick up the Live DVD Hallucino-Genetics too.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    The Brown Album,I think its kind of like primus's Riot Act if you know what I mean but I think its one of there best,other than Frizzle Fry that is where its at,Id check out Les's band Oysterhead too there great.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • danedane Posts: 1,062
    As said above, get "Sailing the seas of cheese" and "Pork soda".

~My name is Mud
    ~but call me Alowishus Davadander Abercrombie
    ~That's long for Mud!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I'd have to say Sailing the Seas of Cheese is their best album. All of their stuff is worthy of picking up, but i think this one appeals more to a general crowd. Fish On is one of the coolest songs les has ever made. The dvd they have live from chicago is fucking insane to watch. There's monitors with trippy shit and cool ass effects. That's worth picking up too.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • KELLYS LEASHKELLYS LEASH Posts: 184
    Brown album and Pork Soda they both have different vibes going on, though very cool
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I'd say start with either Cheese or Frizzle Fry, then move on to Pork Soda and Punchbowl.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Pork Soda is an awesome album!

Primus sucks.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Pork Soda is an awesome album!

Primus sucks.

This post doesn't make sense.
    Unless there's a "and swallows" coming............
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
    dane wrote:
    This post doesn't make sense.
    Unless there's a "and swallows" coming............

Saying "Primus Sucks" means you like Primus. It's a Primus thing.
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    Hey dudes, i wanna buy some primus cds and im just wondering if you people have any suggestions about some of their better albums...any help is appreciated..
    "frizzle fry" and "sailing the seas of cheese",especially frizzle fry...you'll be hooked!!
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Sailing the Seas of Cheese definitely. It's the easiest to absorb. If you like it, try Pork Soda, then Frizzle Fry. After that you're basically taking a risk because (though I like them all) I have friends who like and hate the other albums, it's never consistent. The other ones are a matter of opinion I think. But they all have at least two good songs on each that everyone I know likes if that helps.
    BinFrog wrote:
    Saying "Primus Sucks" means you like Primus. It's a Primus thing.

Hmmm. Didn't know that. When did they come up with that?
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    one of my favorite things to do is drive really fast on the highway cranking "Hamburger Train" from Pork Soda.... holy cow that song is BAD ASS!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • pipedreamspipedreams Posts: 99
    I dig Punchbowl the most. Les is awesome live.

PRIMUS SUCKS
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Pork Soda....

and my two fav songs off it

Bob
    "I had a friend who took a belt
    took a belt and hung himself
    hung himself in the doorway
    or the apartment
    where he lived"

Welcome to this World
    "Welcome to this world of fools
    Champagne and swimming pools
    well all you have to lose
    is your virginity"

PRIMUS SUCKS!
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
    dane wrote:
    Hmmm. Didn't know that. When did they come up with that?

That's been around since the early days. Their first disc was a live disc called "Suck On This" and Les jokes with the crowd "Thanks a lot, we're Primus, we suck". I think it just sort of snowballed from there.
    BinFrog wrote:
    That's been around since the early days. Their first disc was a live disc called "Suck On This" and Les jokes with the crowd "Thanks a lot, we're Primus, we suck". I think it just sort of snowballed from there.

Didn't make that conection at all. But OK then. Primus sucks!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    dane said:
    BinFrog wrote:

Didn't make that conection at all. But OK then. Primus sucks!
    Primus still sucks
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Saw them last night in Indy.  The Rush album was incredible.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Ahhh. Shucks. Would love to see them again. Any other details you'd care to share?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Loujoe said:
    Ahhh. Shucks. Would love to see them again. Any other details you'd care to share?
    They sounded great. The videos they play while they are jamming are hilarious. They are actually very similar to Rush in that regard as Rush always had crazy shit going on while they were playing. (i.e. rotisserie chicken ovens, washers and dryers, etc.)

I like seeing them live but I would say that all of their songs seem to have the same beat and tempo.  Playing the Rush album was a great break.  They played 9 songs, then did the 6 songs off the Rush album and then encored one song.

Xanadu was amazing.  My only complaint was that the drums weren't loud enough. Les was in a great mood. I don't remember him talking that much the last time he was in Indy. I actually remember him just leaving the stage when they were done and not acknowledging the audience at all which kind of pissed me off.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited September 2021
    I was supposed to see this tour in an apple orchard in upstate new york...  It was one of 2 shows that they dropped

Actually still contemplating driving to Cleveland tonight for the show
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    Loujoe said:
    They sounded great. The videos they play while they are jamming are hilarious. They are actually very similar to Rush in that regard as Rush always had crazy shit going on while they were playing. (i.e. rotisserie chicken ovens, washers and dryers, etc.)

I like seeing them live but I would say that all of their songs seem to have the same beat and tempo.  Playing the Rush album was a great break.  They played 9 songs, then did the 6 songs off the Rush album and then encored one song.

Xanadu was amazing.  My only complaint was that the drums weren't loud enough. Les was in a great mood. I don't remember him talking that much the last time he was in Indy. I actually remember him just leaving the stage when they were done and not acknowledging the audience at all which kind of pissed me off.
    I love les. Duo de twang. He chatted up a storm. Most of the times I saw them he just yelled at us. But we all were yelling at him too! F..k les!!!!!!
    Glad you had a good time.
    Sale at primusville. 30% off.  if you want something now is a good time to grab it.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Massey Hall 2011 setlist

^^Hot dog!
    How do you like green naughide? I never heard it except for jillys in smack and eyes of squirrel from that live ep.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Great album for sure. Record and live.  But seeing them play it live at Massey Hall was on another level. Just incredible!
  • Red Lukin said:
    Great album for sure. Record and live.  But seeing them play it live at Massey Hall was on another level. Just incredible!
    No doubt! Two of the greatest live albums of all time were recorded at Massey