Kamala Harris - VP Pick

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Lol. I find it odd how people are somehow upset about Joe's running mate selection a year after he won in decisive fashion. What brought this about now? Do you think she will hurt his chances in 2024 when, odds are, Trump will run again (like a lot of you assumed would happen but didn't last year)?

Very strange...
    I think if the POTUS and VP don't have amazing poll numbers and do all they can to improve it, we have a very real possibility of a second trump term in Jan 2025.  That is my concern.  Hopefully the infrastructure bill greatly improves things for everyday Americans and Kamala can score some big political wins that turn her approval ratings toward the positive.  I think both Joe and Kamala need some good PR especially before the midterms.
    Since when has anyone, ever, been concerned with the vice president's approval numbers? lol....

Sorry man. That just doesn't make sense. Biden's numbers are low, hence his vp's are low.
    When the Prez will be 82 going into his second term.

Biden won't seek a second term
    Exactly which sets up his VP to potentially be the face of the party.  Anyone remember Dan Quayle?  At this point I don't see Kamala being what the top of the ticket needs to defeat Trump or any trump adjacents.  She isn't good with crowds and doesn't have any big wins right now.  It would be great to see her really push through the voting rights bill or get some sort of progress made with the border and immigration.  Believe me I would like to see her succeed.  The fact remains that were VP to go against any moderately popular R with her current profile we would basically be guaranteeing an R prez.  I'm not sure what she can do if she is being hamstrung by the POTUS.

I think Kamala is better off laying low for now.  Highlighting anything she does will be attacked from the right.

Hell, they're already running the 24-hour character assassination over....what?  I'm not sure. 

She can afford to wait until GOP frontrunners emerge before she sticks her neck out.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Was Palin the best choice?

It's politics.

I'd like to see more from the VP but that never happens in any presidency.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm thinking Gavin Newsom in 2024

That would hand the Republicans the presidency on a silver platter.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    brianlux said:

False
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    brianlux said:

False

I'm in the state he governs, one of the most left leaning Democratic states in the union, and he is not liked here by many.  Even many strong Dems have serious issues with the man.    I'm sorry, but he would be trounced nationally.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

False

I'm in the state he governs, one of the most left leaning Democratic states in the union, and he is not liked here by many.  Even many strong Dems have serious issues with the man.    I'm sorry, but he would be trounced nationally.
    So those dems would vote for tRump over him?  Not likely
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

False

The question is, who would have a chance?

The Dems don't have a very deep bench right now.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

False

So those dems would vote for tRump over him?  Not likely

No Gern, you are right, not likely.  But some moderates might vote for Trump or some third party/independent candidate. And I'm concerned that a lot of moderate Democrats would abstain from voting rather than vote for Newsom.
    My point is, there is already much concern that the Dems could lose the presidency in 2024, and putting up somebody who is really only poplar among die-hard liberals is not going to get the votes needed to win in a country that is moving further right.
    What I'm saying about Newsom has nothing to do with my feelings about the man.  I'm not a huge fan, but I voted for him when he was elected governor her and I voted against the recall.  But if he gets nominated to run against Trump or another republican in 2024, I think we will see another right wing republican president.  I am not in favor of that.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Lol. I find it odd how people are somehow upset about Joe's running mate selection a year after he won in decisive fashion. What brought this about now? Do you think she will hurt his chances in 2024 when, odds are, Trump will run again (like a lot of you assumed would happen but didn't last year)?

Very strange...
    I think if the POTUS and VP don't have amazing poll numbers and do all they can to improve it, we have a very real possibility of a second trump term in Jan 2025.  That is my concern.  Hopefully the infrastructure bill greatly improves things for everyday Americans and Kamala can score some big political wins that turn her approval ratings toward the positive.  I think both Joe and Kamala need some good PR especially before the midterms.
    Since when has anyone, ever, been concerned with the vice president's approval numbers? lol....

Sorry man. That just doesn't make sense. Biden's numbers are low, hence his vp's are low.

Exactly which sets up his VP to potentially be the face of the party.  Anyone remember Dan Quayle?  At this point I don't see Kamala being what the top of the ticket needs to defeat Trump or any trump adjacents.  She isn't good with crowds and doesn't have any big wins right now.  It would be great to see her really push through the voting rights bill or get some sort of progress made with the border and immigration.  Believe me I would like to see her succeed.  The fact remains that were VP to go against any moderately popular R with her current profile we would basically be guaranteeing an R prez.  I'm not sure what she can do if she is being hamstrung by the POTUS.

I think Kamala is better off laying low for now.  Highlighting anything she does will be attacked from the right.

Hell, they're already running the 24-hour character assassination over....what?  I'm not sure. 

She can afford to wait until GOP frontrunners emerge before she sticks her neck out.
    This is actually a really great take.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Very strange...

This is actually a really great take.
    Thx
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Very strange...

Now we are comparing Dan Quayle to Kamala Harris? Really? I don't remember anyone saying he got picked to be the face of the party in four years later....when GWB ran again anyway. 

Stop worrying about Kamala Harris. She is not the reason for Biden's lower approval numbers. Just like she wasn't the reason why he was over 50% heading into August. Afghanistan, the Delta variant, and congress' slow action on infrastructure and BBB are why he's where he's at. That's it. 
    I'm not worried about Kamala, i'm worried about lackluster Dems losing in the mid terms and ushering in Trump 2.0.  
    Me too. So then I am unsure why we're having this discussion about her. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Very strange...

Now we are comparing Dan Quayle to Kamala Harris? Really? I don't remember anyone saying he got picked to be the face of the party in four years later....when GWB ran again anyway. 

Stop worrying about Kamala Harris. She is not the reason for Biden's lower approval numbers. Just like she wasn't the reason why he was over 50% heading into August. Afghanistan, the Delta variant, and congress' slow action on infrastructure and BBB are why he's where he's at. That's it. 
    I'm not worried about Kamala, i'm worried about lackluster Dems losing in the mid terms and ushering in Trump 2.0.  
    Because someone brought up a CNN story about her lagging in the polls and internal divisions with Biden.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Since when is the VP pick the "future" POTUS or representative of the party? Think about it. The last three VPs that became POTUS were Bush, for one term, Ford, due to Tricky Dick's resignation after Watergate and Johnson after Kennedy's assassination. Prior to that, it was Nixon after Johnson decided not to run again in 1968 and was VP in 1960, ran and lost to Kennedy. Think about it. We haven't had a duly elected VP become POTUS since 1988, 33 years ago. And it wont happen in 2024.

Biden, Nancy and Chuck are setting the future of the party up with the progressive wing. Because the age and demographics and where those folks mostly stand on the issues, bode well for dems. That said, its up to the progressives to not fuck it up and the party to do a better job of the messaging and cutting through the megaphone that is the right wing anger disinformation machine.

I believe after the mid terms, you see Biden, Nancy and Schumer, at some point, announce their resignations and ride off into the sunset. Biden will announce his intent to resign with plenty of time to allow the typical jockeying of up and comers in the party to fundraise and get out there, particularly if dems lose the house and senate (no accusation of lame duck as he'll be one anyway; repubs in power will do nothing but scream of injustice and investigate, laying the groundwork for 2024). Kamala will be one of those candidates. So will Pete, Amy, Marty Walsh, Gina Raimondo, perhaps, and a slew of others to be named (governors in blue states). Regardless, the dems will offer a stark choice in candidate and policy compared to the repubs (white grievance, god, guns and tax breaks-no real solutions to pressing issues). Whether POOTWH's vision of white nationalism for the future is a winning strategy remains to be seen. Mid terms will be telling.

Look to see Kamala at a lot of hard hat/shovel turning ceremonies between now and the end of the term. Haven't heard much about the border lately and did you see where 90% of Haitians stopped trying to come across after flights to Haiti resumed to deport them? How effective was she with the South and Central American countries she met with? I don't know but its been awful quiet lately about immigration and the "border crisis." Conversely, what does any one remember of the accomplishments of any VP not named Darth Cheney?

I guess Steve O and the politics of white grievance have sucked all of the air out of the room?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited November 2021
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Very strange...

Because someone brought up a CNN story about her lagging in the polls and internal divisions with Biden.
    Someone brought up her race as the reason she was selected, someone else said her low approvals are hurting the dems chances next year, someone else said she is supposed to be the face of the party in 2024 like Dan Quayle supposedly was supposed to be (he wasn't). 

All that stuff is complete nonsense to me. Nobody cares about the VP in the grand scheme of things.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    For your reference, the article that started this discussion.  Regardless of it being nonsense to you the VP is a matter worth discussing.  As for Dan Quayle, my point was that he was boring and did nothing to help Bush, same as I see VP at this point.  She may be playing it completely at the direction of the white house, who knows?  After narrowly avoiding a complete  takeover of the government, people have real reason to question and discuss the approval ratings and presentation of the Number 1 and Number 2 Dems.

static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Very strange...

Someone brought up her race as the reason she was selected, someone else said her low approvals are hurting the dems chances next year, someone else said she is supposed to be the face of the party in 2024 like Dan Quayle supposedly was supposed to be (he wasn't). 

All that stuff is complete nonsense to me. Nobody cares about the VP in the grand scheme of things.

Scio me nihil scire

Please tell us about your favorite vice presidents then, static. Were you a big Cheney guy? Big Walter Mondale fan? Big Gore fan back in 1995? The only real VP of consequence was probably Cheney. 

Regarding Quayle, you specifically brought him up because you thought he was selected to be the face of the GOP. You didn't say anything about him being boring or anything until now. You're just moving the goalposts.This convo's going nowhere, unfortunately. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    I thought it was common knowledge Biden was going to pick a black female as a running mate. As LBman10 said, Biden even said himself he was going to pick a female and then added someone of color. Obviously that’s not the only reason she was picked, but if Kamala was a white dude, does anyone think she’d be VP? If you’re being honest you’d say “no.”
    I love how people just casually add her race to it. Lol. What the fuck man? Yes he said he was picking a woman. There were a ton of qualified women running with him in the primaries. Perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, Joe thought she was the best person for the job, politics aside. I mean, the guy has a little experience with the position after all. 

Check her approval numbers amongst African Americans before making comments like this. Like others have said her overall approval numbers were low but they were also low amongst that group. This silly little fact flies in the face of your argument that she got the nod simply because of her race.

Jesus Christ guys. Thank GOD she doesn't wear tan suits. Can't imagine how much worse this nonsense would be.  

I didn't casually add her race, Biden did. He announced he wanted a female running mate, then a few weeks later said he prefers someone "of color and/or different gender." No one is making this up. I thought this was all well known that he made these comments. 

"Former Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday that when picking a running mate, he would prefer someone who was “of color and/or a different gender.”"
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/28/politics/joe-biden-potential-vp-pick/index.html
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I thought it was common knowledge Biden was going to pick a black female as a running mate. As LBman10 said, Biden even said himself he was going to pick a female and then added someone of color. Obviously that’s not the only reason she was picked, but if Kamala was a white dude, does anyone think she’d be VP? If you’re being honest you’d say “no.”
    I love how people just casually add her race to it. Lol. What the fuck man? Yes he said he was picking a woman. There were a ton of qualified women running with him in the primaries. Perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, Joe thought she was the best person for the job, politics aside. I mean, the guy has a little experience with the position after all. 

Check her approval numbers amongst African Americans before making comments like this. Like others have said her overall approval numbers were low but they were also low amongst that group. This silly little fact flies in the face of your argument that she got the nod simply because of her race.

Jesus Christ guys. Thank GOD she doesn't wear tan suits. Can't imagine how much worse this nonsense would be.  

I didn't casually add her race, Biden did. He announced he wanted a female running mate, then a few weeks later said he prefers someone "of color and/or different gender." No one is making this up. I thought this was all well known that he made these comments. 

"Former Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday that when picking a running mate, he would prefer someone who was “of color and/or a different gender.”"
     Gretchen Witmer, Tammy Baldwin, and the New Mexico governor were all finalists for the position. Guess what? They're white. It was not "common knowledge" that he only picked Harris because of her gender and race simply because he made that remark a full year prior. What a callous insult. 

“Here’s the first thing about being a VP I’ve learned and that is in today’s environment there’s so much a president has on his or her plate. They need someone that they completely trust, that they’re simpatico with, have the same approach, political approach and you can delegate significant authority,” 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hmace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Gretchen Witmer, Tammy Baldwin, and the New Mexico governor were all finalists for the position. Guess what? They're white. It was not "common knowledge" that he only picked Harris because of her gender and race simply because he made that remark a full year prior. What a callous insult. 

“Here’s the first thing about being a VP I’ve learned and that is in today’s environment there’s so much a president has on his or her plate. They need someone that they completely trust, that they’re simpatico with, have the same approach, political approach and you can delegate significant authority,” 
    I never said he only picked her for that reason. Just referenced what he said, that he preferred someone of color and/or different gender. Everyone expected his pick to be female, and most likely a non-white female. If you didn’t, you weren’t paying any attention.  Of course he looked at and considered white people.  Literally his words when discussing the VP pick. It’s now a callous insult to quote Biden?
    edited November 2021
    mace1229 said:
    Hmace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I never said he only picked her for that reason. Just referenced what he said, that he preferred someone of color and/or different gender. Everyone expected his pick to be female, and most likely a non-white female. If you didn’t, you weren’t paying any attention.  Of course he looked at and considered white people.  Literally his words when discussing the VP pick. It’s now a callous insult to quote Biden?
    Go back a few pages. The comment that started all this off was by nicky who said he picked her "only because of her race and gender."  That's just not true. Female? Yeah we all knew that. He wasn't even considering any men. So yes it is a callous insult to say she only got the job was black and female. It is an insinuation that she's not qualified when she is more than qualified. 

Not paying attention? That is hilarious. Go look at the beginning of this thread. Nobody was talking about her race when she was selected. Not even you. The big hang up liberals had with her was that she was too moderate and too much of a law and order kind of candidate from her attorney general background. And the folks on the right were happy because they, incorrectly, thought she would hurt Biden's chances. Folks in the middle, such as myself, were happy with the decision. Initial polling showed the country was mostly happy with the decision as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2021
    I’m not Nicky, so I’m not responsible no or what he/she said. If he thinks Kamala was picked only for her color, then you can discuss that with him. I never said that. 
     So not commenting on her race means that it wasn’t predicted? Even you said we all expected a female, but I don’t see people going on about her gender at the beginning of this thread either. Not even you.

You don’t need to be a genius to predict what was coming when someone says “I prefer someone of color and/or female” to think it’s probably a female, and probably non-white. Doesn’t mean it definitely is, or that’s the only thing considered. But odds are in your favor if you make that bet.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited November 2021
    mace1229 said:
    I’m not Nicky, so I’m not responsible no or what he/she said. If he thinks Kamala was picked only for her color, then you can discuss that with him. I never said that. 
     So not commenting on her race means that it wasn’t predicted? Even you said we all expected a female, but I don’t see people going on about her gender at the beginning of this thread either. Not even you.

You don’t need to be a genius to predict what was coming when someone says “I prefer someone of color and/or female” to think it’s probably a female, and probably non-white. Doesn’t mean it definitely is, or that’s the only thing considered. But odds are in your favor if you make that bet.
    Nobody talked about the gender because we all knew it would be a woman. He did not even consider any men. He did, however, consider Caucasian women. The three I mentioned previously were all finalists and many people were predicting it would be one of them up until the announcement. 

You may not be nicky, but you've glombed onto his argument here today. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Please tell us about your favorite vice presidents then, static. Were you a big Cheney guy? Big Walter Mondale fan? Big Gore fan back in 1995? The only real VP of consequence was probably Cheney. 

Regarding Quayle, you specifically brought him up because you thought he was selected to be the face of the GOP. You didn't say anything about him being boring or anything until now. You're just moving the goalposts.This convo's going nowhere, unfortunately. 
    When did I say I thought Dan Quayle would be the face of the gop? Putting words in my mouth or just misunderstanding? He was a VP that didn’t help Bush get re-elected, added no significant support to the ticket and has largely been forgotten outside of his spelling blunder.  At this stage in the game I don’t see Kamala as falling outside of that general mold, although I am sure she is a much better speller.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:

When did I say I thought Dan Quayle would be the face of the gop? 
    Here

chinese-happy.jpg
    static111 said:

Here

That’s a question not a statement. Ever think of taking reading comprehension classes?
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    static111 said:

Here

That’s a question not a statement. Ever think of taking reading comprehension classes?
    Lol. Yeah you just asked if anyone remembered Dan Quayle COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNRELATED to your previous sentence of saying Kamala is set up to be the face of the party. You are funny. We are laughing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2021
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Here

Lol. Yeah you just asked if anyone remembered Dan Quayle COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNRELATED to your previous sentence of saying Kamala is set up to be the face of the party. You are funny. We are laughing. 
    Not unrelated, I didn’t call quail the face of the party. The comparison is that they are both largely forgettable lackluster political personalities.  Kamala still has three years to go, but she certainly isn’t standing out like Joe was when he was in her position. Of course Joe was probably the most exciting VP of my lifetime.
    Scio me nihil scire

edited November 2021
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Here

Not unrelated, I didn’t call quail the face of the party. The comparison is that they are both largely forgettable lackluster political personalities.  Kamala still has three years to go, but she certainly isn’t standing out like Joe was when he was in her position. Of course Joe was probably the most exciting VP of my lifetime.
    I think a lot of what you are saying doesn't quite add up here. The way you put those two sentences together, it clearly seems as if you were implying that you thought Quayle was supposed to be the face of the GOP. If that wasn't your intention, then your placement of that sentence just makes zero sense in the context of that paragraph.

The comparison is a weak one at best too. Quayle was  a 40 year old senator with not much of a resume while Harris is 17 years older at this point and has a resume that runs circles around his. Being the attorney general of state the size of CA is a pretty enormous responsibility. Yeah I just don't see a comparison at all. Sorry. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Here

I think a lot of what you are saying doesn't quite add up here. The way you put those two sentences together, it clearly seems as if you were implying that you thought Quayle was supposed to be the face of the GOP. If that wasn't your intention, then your placement of that sentence just makes zero sense in the context of that paragraph.

The comparison is a weak one at best too. Quayle was  a 40 year old senator with not much of a resume while Harris is 17 years older at this point and has a resume that runs circles around his. Being the attorney general of state the size of CA is a pretty enormous responsibility. Yeah I just don't see a comparison at all. Sorry. 

I understand that.  I don’t draft my posts here on the Pearl Jam message board the same way I would in a business letter.  Maybe it is a weak comparison.  Going back to what started the whole thing, the CNN article, I was just spitballing what I see coming from the White House and number one observatory circle.

I just continued because every time you asked a question I was trying to clear up what I was thinking, which inevitably led to more confusion. I’m just glad you didn’t post the awful article with the guy that looks like a walrus.
    Scio me nihil scire

edited November 2021
    mace1229 said:

Nobody talked about the gender because we all knew it would be a woman. He did not even consider any men. He did, however, consider Caucasian women. The three I mentioned previously were all finalists and many people were predicting it would be one of them up until the announcement. 

You may not be nicky, but you've glombed onto his argument here today. 
    I never said she was picked only because she was black. Not sure why you keep trying to claim I did.
    Second, you pointed out that since no one, not even me, talked about her race then therefore no one was expecting a woman of color since we didn’t discuss it. But then you add no one talked about her gender because everyone knew it was going to be female. So which is it, do we discuss things we all already know or not?
    None of these issues you bring up erase the fact Biden said himself he wants someone of color and/or female. It wasn’t a surprise he picked a black female. I’ve never said she wasn’t qualified or being black was her only qualification. Just that Biden made that comment. I’ve given a link to it. Not sure why you continue to argue and make up things I've said. Do you think he never said that? Can you point to where I've claimed being black was her only qualification?
    Post edited by mace1229 on