MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Smart of Toronto to extend Berrios
    Thor to Angels on a one year deal
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Carlos Correa calls Jeter's 5 gold glove fraudulent, lol!

He's not wrong though.  The best SS in the league played third for a bunch of years.  

This comes from a huge Jeter fan too.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Jeter was overrated as a defensive shortstop through much of his career.  

I think the Mets hired a stinker as GM.  Im kind of shocked that it isnt Epstein.  Seemed like a match made in heaven.  Epstein is like a 'she's all that' GM where he takes the ugliest franchise with the darkest history and turns them into a Champion.
  • MayDay10 said:
    Jeter was overrated as a defensive shortstop through much of his career.  

I think the Mets hired a stinker as GM.  Im kind of shocked that it isnt Epstein.  Seemed like a match made in heaven.  Epstein is like a 'she's all that' GM where he takes the ugliest franchise with the darkest history and turns them into a Champion.
    The cubs ae a "storied" franchise.  The Mets?  Not so much.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    mets pay syndergaard $19.4 million while he doesn’t pitch for two years and then he leaves for $2 million more than their qualifying offer. kind of a dick move, IMO.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    mets pay syndergaard $19.4 million while he doesn’t pitch for two years and then he leaves for $2 million more than their qualifying offer. kind of a dick move, IMO.
    I hope he is fully healed and kills it over there.

The Mets are in a bit of a disarray.  Fingers are pointing towards the owner now.  Either that or Sandy Alderson is really doing some damage.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The Mets deal was so Mets and the fact that the Angels jumped in and paid more???????
    So Angels.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The Mets deal was so Mets and the fact that the Angels jumped in and paid more???????
    So Angels.
    The Halos NEED to do something to try and win or they are losing Ohtani.  This is their gamble.

For the first time in years, yes I say this every year but this year I meant it damnit, the Halos are in a position to be healthy and do well.
    The Mets deal was so Mets and the fact that the Angels jumped in and paid more???????
    So Angels.
    The Halos NEED to do something to try and win or they are losing Ohtani.  This is their gamble.

For the first time in years, yes I say this every year but this year I meant it damnit, the Halos are in a position to be healthy and do well.
    somebody bump the needle…..tempo’s record is skipping again.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    So Angels.

somebody bump the needle…..tempo’s record is skipping again.
    hahahahahahaha!!!

I know, I know...
    AL West is tough.  
    MayDay10 said:
    AL West is tough.  
    ‘cept for Texas.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    MayDay10 said:
    AL West is tough.  
    Oakland looks to be in seller mode, but they always seem to hang around. Rangers are a couple of years away from being in the mix again. Seattle will build on last year's success---no doubt about that. I expect them to be players with  the FA's. Thor to the Angels was a great first step for them, but they need to do a bit more. Astros will need to find a SS if/when Correa leaves plus they need some starting help as well. Next season should be fun.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    AL West is tough.  
    Oakland looks to be in seller mode, but they always seem to hang around. Rangers are a couple of years away from being in the mix again. Seattle will build on last year's success---no doubt about that. I expect them to be players with  the FA's. Thor to the Angels was a great first step for them, but they need to do a bit more. Astros will need to find a SS if/when Correa leaves plus they need some starting help as well. Next season should be fun.
    The Athletics will never win another championship again ever.  Every player they have developed has like a 5 year window then are gone after free agency.

They do hang around which is always amazing but that is the moneyball logic they came up with so they can win those almost 90 games a year and make the wild card.

I personally think the team should be sold to someone who would do something with that team...  Well they might move to Vegas too so let's see what happens.
    mfc2006 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    AL West is tough.  
    The Athletics will never win another championship again ever.  Every player they have developed has like a 5 year window then are gone after free agency.

They do hang around which is always amazing but that is the moneyball logic they came up with so they can win those almost 90 games a year and make the wild card.

I personally think the team should be sold to someone who would do something with that team...  Well they might move to Vegas too so let's see what happens.
    I agree. It's too bad because they've had some great teams. Vegas and Portland are the front runners. Their AAA (Aviators) team is just outside of Vegas. We went to a game there last summer and the stadium was great.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    mfc2006 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    AL West is tough.  
    The frustration of being an Oakland fan is real. Hopefully they can find a decent replacement for Bob Melvin, and finally push through a stadium deal. Not hopeful on the second part of that though. 
    I hope they stay in Oakland.  If they must move, I hope its not Vegas.  The Athletics franchise and its 120 years of history does not fit in Vegas IMO.  
    MayDay10 said:
    I hope they stay in Oakland.  If they must move, I hope its not Vegas.  The Athletics franchise and its 120 years of history does not fit in Vegas IMO.  
    I do too. If they move, I hope it's to Portland. Having lived in that city and seen their MLB proposals, they should be near the top of anyone's list for relocation or expansion. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do too. If they move, I hope it's to Portland. Having lived in that city and seen their MLB proposals, they should be near the top of anyone's list for relocation or expansion. 
    They could change their name to The Portland Pronouns.

Too soon?!?
  • Arozarena ROY
    India ROY
    Belt appears to be the only player that accepted a QO
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Nice job CY winners Burnes and Ray. They pitched me to a fantasy championship this year as well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    mfc2006 said:
    Belt appears to be the only player that accepted a QO
    he’s cool like that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I saw this asked on line.

Best SS? 

I say Arod.  Just pretend he didn't take the PED's if you can.

Who's better?  You can't say Ripken because he doesn't have the numbers.  Ozzie Smith either.

Honus Wagner?

Arod besides Bonds and Pujols' 11 year run was the best all around player I have seen w my own two eyes.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    edited November 2021
    Nomaaaahhh at least up until the Red Sox traded him.
    So from 97 (ROY) through 2003 (or the trade deadline in 2004), the guy was better than Arod. Hit .357 then .372 in back to back seasons in 99 and 2000. Better defensively than both Arod and Jeter.
    That stretch (lost basically all of 2001 to injury) was as good as it gets from the SS position. Its largely overlooked now as his career fizzled once he left Boston.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Nomar was never better than Arod
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Can the Braves just sign Freeman already!!!!???
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    Can the Braves just sign Freeman already!!!!???
    Really surprised that this hasn't happened yet.

Also surprised that JV is back in Houston. I didn't see that one coming at all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I saw this asked on line.

Best SS? 

I say Arod.  Just pretend he didn't take the PED's if you can.

Who's better?  You can't say Ripken because he doesn't have the numbers.  Ozzie Smith either.

Honus Wagner?

Arod besides Bonds and Pujols' 11 year run was the best all around player I have seen w my own two eyes.
    It is a tough question.  You have era-adjusted, Honus Wagner was great, but if you transplanted him to the year 2005, with those slabs of leather they called gloves back then (sharing with the other SS)...  I dunno... also, the position changed.  Prior to 1990, with few exceptions (Ripken), it was a purely defensive position, and any offense was just a bonus.  

The best defensive shortstop I ever saw was probably a tie between Ozzie and Vizquel

If you are skewing more toward offensive (and power) numbers, you go more toward the A-Rod and Jeter.  Id definitely give A-Rod, vintage Seattle and Texas a nod over Jeter overall.

Lindor and Correa are pretty great.

You also might consider Ernie Banks and Robin Yount
  • Poncier said:
    Nomaaaahhh at least up until the Red Sox traded him.
    So from 97 (ROY) through 2003 (or the trade deadline in 2004), the guy was better than Arod. Hit .357 then .372 in back to back seasons in 99 and 2000. Better defensively than both Arod and Jeter.
    That stretch (lost basically all of 2001 to injury) was as good as it gets from the SS position. Its largely overlooked now as his career fizzled once he left Boston.
    DewieCox said:
    Nomar was never better than Arod
    Nomar?  He was good for 6 seasons...  I am talking career.  I'd choose Jeter over him.

Can we have a real answer now.