THE BLUES

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
Figure we should have a dedicated thread for the Blues as well.

want learn and grow my collection in this area
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Yes Brian, I know...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    So aside from the rock world poaching and promoting blues music and being exposed that way, my first entry was really SRV.

Back when I then got that complete recordings set of Robert Johnson, but didnt really explore the genre much beyond that. Thats changed since I got back into vinyl....

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Lead Belly is a favorite.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Third Man Records has a nice collection of early blues, including Blind Willie McTell, Charley Patton, and The Mississippi Sheiks.

Blind Willie McTell – Third Man Store

Charley Patton – Third Man Store

The Mississippi Sheiks – Third Man Store

All part of the Document Records Reissues...

The recordings we'll be presenting in this reissue series are the building blocks and DNA of American culture. Blues, R&B, Elvis, teenagerism, punk rock... it all goes back to these vital, breathtaking recordings. Third Man Records is proud to present these landmark albums in conjunction with Document Records, with brand new, jaw-dropping artwork by Rob Jones and new insightful liner notes, on vinyl for the first time in decades. Every record collection should have ample room for these highly important and endlessly listenable albums.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mickeyrat said:
    Yes Brian, I know...

What?  WHAT??  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

OK, I know I should not post on this thread (lol, kidding!).

So I'm wondering, do we dare talk about where to draw the line on what is THE BLUES?  If you throw beer cans at my head I'll back off on this question.  Otherwise, it would be interesting to get some thoughts on this.
    Is blues a black artist only music genre? 
    Do interracial bands like some of the sixties bands count as true blues bands (for example, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Charley Musslewhite's Southside Band)? 
    What about all white bands that call themselves "blues bands" (for example, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, Alex Korner's Blues Incorporated, Climax Blues Band)?
    Is aforementioned SRV blues?  Are Canned Heat blues?  What about Charley Musselwhite or Paul Butterfield? John Mayall. Eric Clapton?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    brianlux said:

So I'm wondering, do we dare talk about where to draw the line on what is THE BLUES?  If you throw beer cans at my head I'll back off on this question.  Otherwise, it would be interesting to get some thoughts on this.
    Do interracial bands like some of the sixties bands count as true blues bands (for example, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Charley Musslewhite's Southside Band)? 
    What about all white bands that call themselves "blues bands" (for example, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, Alex Korner's Blues Incorporated, Climax Blues Band)?
    Is aforementioned SRV blues?  Are Canned Heat blues?  What about Charley Musselwhite or Paul Butterfield? John Mayall. Eric Clapton?

Rhythm, Blues, Soul and almost funk could be rolled up into one.  I might even accept gospel into the genre.

Get @MadozK to start a poll, lol.
    edited August 2021
    brianlux said:

Rhythm, Blues, Soul and almost funk could be rolled up into one.  I might even accept gospel into the genre.

Get @MadozK to start a poll, lol.

Heck yeah!  :lol:

music is a universal language. what moves you, moves you. I feel like the groups and people listed above have a reverance for the genre. 

so yes all those listed and more are blues musicians imo.

a little reading I have done had early guys listed as folk , country folk, before moving into diferent blues labels....

so to turn the question around   why shouldn't they be considered blues musicians playing blues music?

edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    music is a universal language. what moves you, moves you. I feel like the groups and people listed above have a reverance for the genre. 

so yes all those listed and more are blues musicians imo.

a little reading I have done had early guys listed as folk , country folk, before moving into diferent blues labels....

so to turn the question around   why shouldn't they be considered blues musicians playing blues music?

I agree to the point where the music that white blues musicians are playing is at least predominantly pure blues .  Some of the rock-blues bands are obviously more rock than blues so much as I might like those bands, I don't refer to them as blues.    That said, I have no problem referring to Charley Musselwhite (for example) as a blues musician.  He has a long history of playing what I think of as pure blues.
    And it can go the other way.  Some people refer to Jimi Hendrix as a blues musician.  He sure as hell played some great blues, but surely not everything her played could be called blues.

What makes this a difficult subject for me is that I have read some very convincing articles that make bold statements about the blues being a black form of music created by and to be played only by black musicians.  I obviously don't totally agree with that statement, otherwise I would be contradicting myself in saying that I see Charley Musselwhite as a pure blues musician. But there are some very convincing arguments out there that state that pure blues is a blacks only form of music.  As a white guy, I struggle with that. If I were black, maybe not.  I don't know.

On a slightly different topic, try as I have all these years, I often have a difficult time distinguishing some pieces played by jazz musicians as blues.  It's easy to think of "The Red Rooster" or "Dust My Broom" as blues songs, but when it comes to some jazz pieces- especially instrumentals- that are referred to as blues, I often am not sure how to make the connection.  Some of the pieces on Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth are good example.  This is where not being well steeped in music theory is a bummer!
    Post edited by brianlux on

Hobbes said:
    Third Man Records has a nice collection of early blues, including Blind Willie McTell, Charley Patton, and The Mississippi Sheiks.

Blind Willie McTell – Third Man Store

Charley Patton – Third Man Store

The Mississippi Sheiks – Third Man Store

All part of the Document Records Reissues...

The recordings we'll be presenting in this reissue series are the building blocks and DNA of American culture. Blues, R&B, Elvis, teenagerism, punk rock... it all goes back to these vital, breathtaking recordings. Third Man Records is proud to present these landmark albums in conjunction with Document Records, with brand new, jaw-dropping artwork by Rob Jones and new insightful liner notes, on vinyl for the first time in decades. Every record collection should have ample room for these highly important and endlessly listenable albums.

can you attest to the quality of recording?

tried listening to other versions of the patton vol 1 and 2. recordibg is so poor I find it unlistenable

Here are some more blues collections I think all you blues fans would enjoy.  The Chicago/The Blues/Today! series is particularly excellent!

Wizards From the Southside is an awesome Chicago electric blues collection:
    And Vanguards 2 LP set, The Great Blues Men is tops as well:

edited November 2021
    New Gov't Mule out today.
    Heavy Load Blues.
    I did a brief run through of the first half, maybe 30-60 seconds each.

Solid work. Variety of styles it seems.  Will be picking this up for sure.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Otis Redding people. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Otis Redding people. 

Such a great singer!   I never thought of him as a blues singer- more like R&B and soul- but maybe he did some blues records I'm not familiar with.  Would be interesting to hear.

mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

I've never seen this band referred to as blues.  Excellent band, but blues?

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Gary Clark Jr.....check out his live albums. (The studio albums are awesome as well)

So damn good. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

branched out for this one.

excellent and very versatile group of musicians.

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

Yes, versatile for sure, and fine musicians.  A friend sent me a sampler.  I might have to make a choice about getting one of their LPs and see how far it goes for me.  Suggestions?

• mfc2006 said:
    Gary Clark Jr.....check out his live albums. (The studio albums are awesome as well)
    So damn good. 

top shelf

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mfc2006 said:
    So damn good. 

top shelf

Hell yes!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited November 2021
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

Yes, versatile for sure, and fine musicians.  A friend sent me a sampler.  I might have to make a choice about getting one of their LPs and see how far it goes for me.  Suggestions?

youtube albums if you dont have a streaming service
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

Too slow and limited data, even with my hotspot.  I'll try AllMusic, they usually have song clips that are low data.

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

Too slow and limited data, even with my hotspot.  I'll try AllMusic, they usually have song clips that are low data.

https://youtu.be/oDkOjw152u0

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

Thanks, M.  Good stuff, just not my thing.  Not big on the singer.  That's no put down, just doesn't do it for me.

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

Thanks, M.  Good stuff, just not my thing.  Not big on the singer.  That's no put down, just doesn't do it for me.

she was guesting.  Warren Haynes is the singer.

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Heavy Load Blues.

she was guesting.  Warren Haynes is the singer.

Makes sense.  The few other clips I'd seen had a different singer.  Thanks for sharing the video.

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Robert Randolph last night. What a great show. KWS was on fire and Robert Randolph was really cool. His band covered Cream, Hendrix, and The Doobie Brothers. KWS covered Hendrix during his encore with a searing rendition of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    edited December 2021
    Blues fan, check this out! 
    Earlier in this thread, I mentioned the Chicago/The Blues/Today series that I am so very fortunate to have on the original Vanguard series.  That series is rather pricey but I just learned that the series has been re-issued and though still (to me anyway) fairly expensive, they are available here in this nice vinyl reissue that is generally well received.  There are few compilations of Chicago blues that top this one, so if you're a fan, this might be worth checking out:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/19115242-Various-ChicagoThe-BluesToday-
    And the CD version is definitely more affordable:

Opener for Buddy Guy.

Yound lady Ally Venable. Out of Texas. Shes good.

check her out.