Jack Irons Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Jack's my favorite. He seems to have more subtlety rather than bashing and crashing. The tones tend to have a roundness to them and there's a looseness that comes through. Perfect for No Code.
  • demetrios wrote:
    One of my favorites! :)

1995-02-06 Moore Theater, Seattle, WA

Jack Irons Chant

http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules ... 3D&ext.m3u

That is awesome! I've never heard that before. Hilarious
    Toronto 06-28-2003
    09-19-2005
    05-09-2006
    09-11-2011
    London 07-16-2013
    Ottawa 05-08-2016
    record.gif
  • Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    Attention Dimension, Blue Manatee and No Heads are Better than One are stellar albums, so many great moments. These albums sound incredibly satisfying to my ears, especially on some trek or in the right surroundings, somewhere spectacular!
  • Jack is one of my favorite musicians ever. I miss him in PJ...Took a lot of hours listening to boots before i finally figured out that yes his weaknesses are Matt's strengths, and that he didn't have the stamina or unshakable drive that Matt has. But his imagination and creativity easily offset that...No Code and Yield are my two favorite albums ever, and he is a gigantic part of that.

His playing on Mirror Ball & Merkin Ball are just HUGE. Almost like Bonham or something, just big big drum sounds...

cheers to Jack
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Jack don't need no appreciation, Jack just don't care.
  • narnianarnia Posts: 635
    I was just listening to the '95 Washington boot today. After Jack was thanked by Gloria Steinem some people in the audience reacted by booing. Later Ed says, "You miss Dave and I think that is really nice. But you should all thank Jack Irons because this band wouldn’t be together today if it wasn’t for him. He saved the life of this band, so thank him." Then they dedicate the next song "Go" to Dave - which I think is kind of an odd song to dedicate to Dave. Anyway I didn't realize Jack was booed, not cool.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Jack Irons is my #1. Of course, Matt is my #1a.
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    For me, Jack is the best. Then Dave A. Even though they're very different, I like them both almost equally for opposite reasons. I don't mean to be too hard on Matt (because I think he's fucking awesome and irreplaceable in Soundgarden) but with PJ, he almost feels like a studio drummer. I can't feel a personality to his drumming with PJ in the way I do with SG. I'm not a drummer so obviously this is just a laymen's opinion but that's my take on it.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    narnia said:

I was just listening to the '95 Washington boot today. After Jack was thanked by Gloria Steinem some people in the audience reacted by booing. Later Ed says, "You miss Dave and I think that is really nice. But you should all thank Jack Irons because this band wouldn’t be together today if it wasn’t for him. He saved the life of this band, so thank him." Then they dedicate the next song "Go" to Dave - which I think is kind of an odd song to dedicate to Dave. Anyway I didn't realize Jack was booed, not cool.

I think I read somewhere a long time ago that Dave wrote the riff to go. Maybe that explains the dedication.
  • SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    To those I'm about to disgruntle, I apologize,
    I of course miss Jack Irons, as well as Dave. I have loved this band since the first time I heard "Alive' on the radio & continue to do so. When Jack was out & Matt Cameron stepped in I was hoping it would be a short "fill-in" until they found a new drummer. When "Binaural" came out I realized this would not be the case. While there are great moments on the album, it never seemed to jell the way previous albums did. And looking at the albums since, to me at least, it continues to be the case. Matt was an easy, comfortable choice. He already had history with everyone. To his credit, I think when he was (is) with Soundgarden, he adds to their sound & band. I saw them a year ago & was amazed at how good they were as a band. Matt was very animated & seemed like he was back home. I've never got that feeling from him at a P.J. concert. I'm not blaming Matt for any of the "changes" in the band or it's music. But if you take a step back & really look at it, it was when the band took a hard left turn that so many people have also noticed. Yes, they have aged, yes there was the tragedy in 2000, yes they have families, etc. But to me the fire that drove the engine left with Jack Irons. Let me finish by saying I have the utmost respect for what Matt Cameron does. I just wonder what we would have had if they didn't make the easy choice. And easy choices seem to to be the rule these days, where the band is concerned, rather than the exception.
    Okay, that's just my opinion, and yes I know what they are like. Let the Matt-lovers bashing begin!
    Scott A. Setser
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Jack's my favorite. He seems to have more subtlety rather than bashing and crashing. The tones tend to have a roundness to them and there's a looseness that comes through. Perfect for No Code.

Exactly! What you call roundness and looseness, I call fluidity. There's this beautiful liquid feel to his playing (part of why I fell in love with In My Tree and Given to Fly), and after watching him soak his arms in Single Video Theory, I got why he had to let it go. Loss for us, but good for him.

Side story...my sister went to school with Jack. Late 70s in my KISS-loving days - I admit it, what's to say :D - many a time we'd watch him and his bandmates practice (with Hillel in the pre-RHCP days - was friends with his younger brother Jamie). My best friend's older brother played bass with them too - had a huge crush on him.

Good memories...good music...good times :)
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    hedonist said:

Exactly! What you call roundness and looseness, I call fluidity. There's this beautiful liquid feel to his playing (part of why I fell in love with In My Tree and Given to Fly), and after watching him soak his arms in Single Video Theory, I got why he had to let it go. Loss for us, but good for him.

Side story...my sister went to school with Jack. Late 70s in my KISS-loving days - I admit it, what's to say :D - many a time we'd watch him and his bandmates practice (with Hillel in the pre-RHCP days - was friends with his younger brother Jamie). My best friend's older brother played bass with them too - had a huge crush on him.

Good memories...good music...good times :)
    Cool story Hedo! Thanks for sharing that.
    And I agree with the feel -- fluidity -- of Jack on songs like In My Tree and several others. Thoose scenes with him in SVT are great. Seeing him roll smoothly around those toms on Given to Fly in SVT made me realize that he was a true original and they'd likely never have a guy like him again.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Totally agree. Jack Irons brought so much to the band. No Code and Yield are my favorite records and Jack was such a huge part of those.
    No disrespect to Matt Cameron.
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    No Code would have not been the same without Jack Irons's influence. He's incredible in In My Tree/Who You Are
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
    Jack's drumming is superb on Yield too! Brain of J, Faithfull, No Way, Given to Fly...oh yeah, on every track.
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,839
    This thread has the official ****YFC STAMP OF APPROVAL****
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

• BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199
    With no disrespect to the other drummers, Jack is my favorite - No code is a masterpiece, with Yield being a close 2nd.  At times during the current live shows, certain songs seem rushed - I felt during Jack's time, he allowed the songs to breathe a bit when playing them live.  Just my two cents.
    edited November 2021
    demetrios said:

Nice groove! :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2021
    Jack Irons....Jack Irons....Jack Irons theme song.   Da da da da. JACK irons .....Jack Irons....

Non related  video related to thread

https://youtu.be/saBuUCblEtU

Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • I was just listening to the '95 Washington boot today. After Jack was thanked by Gloria Steinem some people in the audience reacted by booing. Later Ed says, "You miss Dave and I think that is really nice. But you should all thank Jack Irons because this band wouldn’t be together today if it wasn’t for him. He saved the life of this band, so thank him." Then they dedicate the next song "Go" to Dave - which I think is kind of an odd song to dedicate to Dave. Anyway I didn't realize Jack was booed, not cool.
    I think I read somewhere a long time ago that Dave wrote the riff to go. Maybe that explains the dedication.
    Or maybe it was because they had recently told Dave to "Go." 

Though you're right, the Go riff is Dave's. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    hrd2imgn said:
    Jack Irons....Jack Irons....Jack Irons theme song.   Da da da da. JACK irons .....Jack Irons....

Non related  video related to thread

https://youtu.be/saBuUCblEtU

Love this! Was hoping Jack came up during PJ's set in Ohana and they belt out this tribute. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    edited December 2021
    BC62528 said:
    With no disrespect to the other drummers, Jack is my favorite - No code is a masterpiece, with Yield being a close 2nd.  At times during the current live shows, certain songs seem rushed - I felt during Jack's time, he allowed the songs to breathe a bit when playing them live.  Just my two cents.
    Honestly each drummer played their respective songs the best (with the exception of Dave A also sounding great on Dave C’s songs). I’m sure Dave or Jack playing Matt’s songs wouldn’t sound great either. Matt has the disadvantage of coming last and having to reinterpret 2-3 other drummer’s drum parts on songs.
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Love Jack Irons. It's been great to follow him on Instagram and see/hear these gems.

No problemo! :)