Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    They’re changing it more than advertised and still stretching their typical jam songs out to some extent.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    DewieCox said:
    They’re changing it more than advertised and still stretching their typical jam songs out to some extent.
    They are and it's a great show, IMO.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    starts in a few minutes! 
    Dirty Honey kicked ass!
    Dirty Honey kicked ass!
    I'm excited for you! You are at a killer show right now!
    The Black Crowes killed it. A lot of energy and really tight musically. Go see them on this tour if you get a chance. 
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    The Black Crowes killed it. A lot of energy and really tight musically. Go see them on this tour if you get a chance. 
    I’m ticked because there was originally an Arizona date and the. It disappeared when they rescheduled and I won’t be able to make it to an out of state show. Have to live vicariously through a buddy who’s seeing them in Indy tonight. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Saw the St.Louis show last night.   Far cry from the Crowes of the past, but still a fun and very enjoyable evening.  Much more crowded than I expected, but tickets on ALOT of radio channels this last couple weeks. 
    I’m of the belief they could play the first four records in their entirety and it would be a great hour of music.  The following 9 songs in the shows so far are mostly the same, with a few songs rotating in and out,    I think a casual fan will love this show, long time fans will find some faults but still leave 1/2 satisfied at least. . 
    crowes74 said:
    Saw the St.Louis show last night.   Far cry from the Crowes of the past, but still a fun and very enjoyable evening.  Much more crowded than I expected, but tickets on ALOT of radio channels this last couple weeks. 
    I’m of the belief they could play the first four records in their entirety and it would be a great hour of music.  The following 9 songs in the shows so far are mostly the same, with a few songs rotating in and out,    I think a casual fan will love this show, long time fans will find some faults but still leave 1/2 satisfied at least. . 
    Interesting! I just saw them for the first time on Thursday and was really impressed with them. Sounded great, super tight and tons of good energy. 

After reading your post, I REALLY wish I had seen them back in the day.
  • crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    dudeman said:
    crowes74 said:
    Interesting! I just saw them for the first time on Thursday and was really impressed with them. Sounded great, super tight and tons of good energy. 

They used to have as diverse a set list as Pearl Jam, and a few medium to long jams along the way.  Always a tasty cover or two as well, with a deep cut or two thrown in for the traveling fans.  It was very much like Pearl Jam show with more improvised jams here and there.    While rarely a bad show (I’ve seen one in 48) some nights used to be damn near magical.   

If you bought into the “nugs” subscription PJ has advertised in the past the Crowes used to have a ton of shows on there.   Earlier the better , but 05 and 06 had a great line up and many peaks with few valleys.   I believe they had some shows from the Amorica tour, 3 snakes for sure. 

They had been labeled the “most rock n roll band around” during the harmony/Amorica years, and that wasn’t far from the truth imo.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dudeman said:
    crowes74 said:

I saw them many times, back in the day, and from what I can tell from the “new” videos I’ve seen, this band doesn’t hold a candle to the old lineup(s). glad most are enjoying them, tho.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ultrapigultrapig South Dakota Posts: 142
    edited April 2022
    Post edited by ultrapig on
    anyone else purchase this? very nice book. 300 pages of photos. came from London; delayed at least 4 months by COVID/supply chain. pricey. great book but I wish the pics were notated with when/where. another complaint is that luther got no love at all!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    A book of Black Crowes glamor shots? 

NTTAWWT!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

NTTAWWT!
    sorry it’s not some of the no talent bands you like.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Ross Halfin is such a boring photographer
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:

NTTAWWT!
    sorry it’s not some of the no talent bands you like.
    What lol 
    saw them last night.

Chris’ voice was in fine form and it was loud as fuck (which I like).

it was by no means one of their best shows I’ve seen. SYMM launched them but it’s far from their best album. I got two of my favorites (wiser time, thorn in my pride) after that, but this is the “no jamming” tour 😡. hell, I’ve heard 18 minute versions of both and they were insane.

rock n roll, by lou reed, was an excellent closing song!

shitty picture:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    Love the Crowes and Chris & Rich sound great these days but they miss Steve Gorman in a bad way. Love Sven on bass even if I prefer Johnny Colt and the current guitarist is good but the drummer is average at best. Keyboardist isn't anything special either but no one will ever live up to Eddie Harsch.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    crowes74 said:
    agreed. SMHC would be a better album to do in its entirety.

ZoSoTim said:
    Love the Crowes and Chris & Rich sound great these days but they miss Steve Gorman in a bad way. Love Sven on bass even if I prefer Johnny Colt and the current guitarist is good but the drummer is average at best. Keyboardist isn't anything special either but no one will ever live up to Eddie Harsch.
    I’m a huge Gorman fan but I was actually quite impressed by the drummer. is the current guitarist Isaih (sp?) from Earthless? not as good as Marc, Luther or Jackie but, then again, this is the “no jamming” tour. 😡

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Wobbie said:
    saw them last night.

Chris’ voice was in fine form and it was loud as fuck (which I like).

it was by no means one of their best shows I’ve seen. SYMM launched them but it’s far from their best album. I got two of my favorites (wiser time, thorn in my pride) after that, but this is the “no jamming” tour 😡. hell, I’ve heard 18 minute versions of both and they were insane.

rock n roll, by lou reed, was an excellent closing song!

shitty picture:

The bartender who mans the bar w/ no patrons for the entire show is kinda hilarious
    ZoSoTim said:
    this just occurred to me….did you see them recently or last year? I think they were using Rich’s frizzy haired drummer last year. if so, he’s no longer the guy.

P.S. I thought the opening band was pretty brutal.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    this just occurred to me….did you see them recently or last year? I think they were using Rich’s frizzy haired drummer last year. if so, he’s no longer the guy.

I saw them summer of 2021 so maybe that was it. Dirty Honey opened and they were fantastic/
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    ZoSoTim said:
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:

I saw them summer of 2021 so maybe that was it. Dirty Honey opened and they were fantastic/
    I think we got a different drummer. In fact, several friends commented on how good they thought he was.

my opener was the texas gentleman and I did not dig them at all.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    crowes74 said:
    agreed. SMHC would be a better album to do in its entirety.

ZoSoTim said:
    I’m a huge Gorman fan but I was actually quite impressed by the drummer. is the current guitarist Isaih (sp?) from Earthless? not as good as Marc, Luther or Jackie but, then again, this is the “no jamming” tour. 😡
    Yeah, Isiah Mitchell is from Earthless. One of the best guitarists out there these days, IMO.

I was surprised to see him with BC last summer and he was on fire! They stayed pretty true to form for the SYMM portion of the show but they really let it rip after that. Felt high on that show for a week afterward. 

Never had a chance to see them back in the day but I walked away from last year's tour very impressed by that band.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Do not fuck with the Robinson brothers!

https://youtu.be/FJiPY2X-Lq0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    kinda interesting. SHMC is sooooo good.

along the same lines....long and not crowes....but very interesting, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC2iGFJJ69s

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    goldrush said:

that first security guy that he tossed into the front row was pretty epic lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

goldrush said:

that first security guy that he tossed into the front row was pretty epic lol

pretty expensive implement Rich was using.

man, I wish that was gorman on the drum kit. heart and soul of the crowes.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16