Options

Cost of living

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
edited October 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
So, we all go to the grocery store the last few months and the prices are just becoming ridiculous. Along with the prices being so much higher, there is also the issue of not having stocked shelves. Just today I wasn't able to buy milk or eggs?!?! Really? I cant get milk and eggs? When a sale on ribeye or strip steaks in $13.99 a lb.? Holy HELL! Two weeks ago I go to buy some produce and the shelves were empty. The gentleman stocking the shelves is telling me that they cant get anyone to work, and that they have product, but its sitting in the back room. That blows my mind. Toiletry prices are ridiculous, produce prices are ridiculous, meat prices are ridiculous. Add the price of gasoline these days, and we are all having to come up with quite some extra money for our weekly basic needs. 

How is everyone dealing with this? My wife and I both work hard, hell, I work more hours than any human being I know. We both make good money, and we can easily afford the extra cost. Now of course we are not happy about the situation, but we just deal with it. 

How has this situation changed the way you shop? Or has it not changed a thing? I have always hit 2 to 3 different stores when I go grocery shopping, and try to take advantage of all sales. And the last few months, I pay even more attention to sales. 

Today as I was shopping I was thinking about the poor folks who are on some type of fixed income, or have lost jobs over the last year. Good lord, I just cant imagine being in that situation and having to deal with the prices the way they are. SAD.

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Hasn't changed much for me.  I haven't really seen much as far as empty shelves or grocery store issues.  Maybe the occasional out of something specific I was looking for, but not too bad.  I know it's happening across the board, but maybe it's also regional....some areas hit harder than others?
    Gas prices are close to $4 here now, which def has to suck for the guy/gal trying to get by on minimum wage.  Or the retiree who saved all his life to ride out the golden years, only to see that savings disappearing faster than he thought.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Hasn't changed much for me.  I haven't really seen much as far as empty shelves or grocery store issues.  Maybe the occasional out of something specific I was looking for, but not too bad.  I know it's happening across the board, but maybe it's also regional....some areas hit harder than others?
    Gas prices are close to $4 here now, which def has to suck for the guy/gal trying to get by on minimum wage.  Or the retiree who saved all his life to ride out the golden years, only to see that savings disappearing faster than he thought.
    Its weird, being in Chicago you would think stocked shelves wouldnt be a problem. But it is, at times. You are familiar with Jewel, Im sure. Last week the produce shelves were just empty. The sale items were nowhere to be found. Today at Food For Less(Kroger), I couldnt get milk or eggs? Now I am guessing tomorrow morning the shelves will be stocked again for the weekend shoppers. But its weird that on a Friday afternoon, where plenty of folks want to get a head start on the weekend, you cant get basic items, or sale items. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For various reasons, we solely use Instacart. The prices have definitely risen, as well as unavailability of some national/brand items.

Like you, we’re just dealing with it. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    red meat is really costly here in Ontario.

but prices are up.  But I eat mainly eat chicken and pork, so i find it’s still somewhat reasonable.  I just got some bacon on sale..

I live surrounded by farms and greenhouses, so vegetable prices are stable.

Dairy is regulated here, prices are stable and plenty of stock..

Things like cereal, etc I only buy when on sale.

Gas prices are high, $1.48/l and gas is over taxed in Canada, like everything.

I can easily absorb these prices, it’s the poor and lower income that will suffer if this continues.

and forget buying a house where I live unless you got a huge down payment or we’ll above average income, rent is also through the roof…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,123
    Roll with it, what can we do

future is bleak, just have fun & do the best you can
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    B-b-b-b-baby you ain't seen nothing yet.  
    Seriously, this is what we should have expected all along while gobbling up natural resources to produce cheap, throw-away crap instead of buying durable goods that last longer and save you money in the long run.  It's time to tear those Walmarts and the like down.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    We are discussing food prices…or do you like durable food…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Its high in fiber.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Everything up in uk too. Fuel is very expensive now too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    Gas prices are hitting 2007 shocking levels 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options

Absolutely!  I like foods that are high in iron.  Steel cut oats are awesome.  Stone ground grains are killer.  Rock salt add great savor to dishes.  Hardwood smoked cheeses are delicious.  Top it all off with some jade tea and there you go!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gas prices are hitting 2007 shocking levels 

I don't eat gas.  It's just what I get when I eat certain things. 

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Its high in fiber.

Bingo!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Absolutely!  I like foods that are high in iron.  Steel cut oats are awesome.  Stone ground grains are killer.  Rock salt add great savor to dishes.  Hardwood smoked cheeses are delicious.  Top it all off with some jade tea and there you go!
    well good for you.  Sounds enjoyable…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

well good for you.  Sounds enjoyable…

Oh, for sure!
    Broken Teeth Treatment in Dublin  Portobello Dental Clinic

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    So, we all go to the grocery store the last few months and the prices are just becoming ridiculous. Along with the prices being so much higher, there is also the issue of not having stocked shelves. Just today I wasn't able to buy milk or eggs?!?! Really? I cant get milk and eggs? When a sale on ribeye or strip steaks in $13.99 a lb.? Holy HELL! Two weeks ago I go to buy some produce and the shelves were empty. The gentleman stocking the shelves is telling me that they cant get anyone to work, and that they have product, but its sitting in the back room. That blows my mind. Toiletry prices are ridiculous, produce prices are ridiculous, meat prices are ridiculous. Add the price of gasoline these days, and we are all having to come up with quite some extra money for our weekly basic needs. 

How is everyone dealing with this? My wife and I both work hard, hell, I work more hours than any human being I know. We both make good money, and we can easily afford the extra cost. Now of course we are not happy about the situation, but we just deal with it. 

How has this situation changed the way you shop? Or has it not changed a thing? I have always hit 2 to 3 different stores when I go grocery shopping, and try to take advantage of all sales. And the last few months, I pay even more attention to sales. 

Today as I was shopping I was thinking about the poor folks who are on some type of fixed income, or have lost jobs over the last year. Good lord, I just cant imagine being in that situation and having to deal with the prices the way they are. SAD.

For the most I agree with this post.  However, it does depend on what time you shop.  I personally like to shop early in the morning and have come to realize that the stores are not stocked with sale items, etc. if you arrive when the store opens the day sales begin.  To me that is no excuse but it is the new reality.  Everything has gone up in price, and there are items that seem to be unavailable no matter when you shop.  I am by no means rich, and do have a budget but I am not yet in the panic stage.  Yet there is no doubt my food budget is exhausted much quicker than before.  And I do feel for those people who are in dire straights trying to get by day to day. Donate to your local food banks if and when you can.  No child should go hungry.  No family should go hungry.
  • Options
    I started a "supply chain" thread over in AMT.  Why don't you come visit Speedy?