Options

Coldplay covers Pearl Jam

2»

Comments

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    igotid88 said:
    You don't have to like it. But if 70% of that audience never heard the song. Then maybe 30% of that 70 like it. Then maybe 5% stream or download it. That's all you can ask for
    No, that's all you can ask for. Not everyone cares about the number of streams or downloads or chart rankings or accolades or whatever measure of popularity. That's my take, but you don't have to like it.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,409
    Its different.  Not bad at all.  Nothing worse than hearing a cover song just like the original...nothing worse.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    Hobbes said:
    igotid88 said:
    You don't have to like it. But if 70% of that audience never heard the song. Then maybe 30% of that 70 like it. Then maybe 5% stream or download it. That's all you can ask for
    No, that's all you can ask for. Not everyone cares about the number of streams or downloads or chart rankings or accolades or whatever measure of popularity. That's my take, but you don't have to like it.
    The whole point is to get new listeners. Share the wealth. I know people want to keep PJ for themselves. But it sucks when people who've never heard a PJ song or maybe 1 put them down.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    igotid88 said:
    Hobbes said:
    igotid88 said:
    The whole point is to get new listeners. Share the wealth. I know people want to keep PJ for themselves. But it sucks when people who've never heard a PJ song or maybe 1 put them down.
    I'm all about sharing the wealth.
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    gross

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    thanks for sharing, have loved Coldplay since the first listen of Yellow......way back when
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2021
    hrd2imgn said:
    thanks for sharing, have loved Coldplay since the first listen of Yellow......way back when
    I was in Ireland for a few weeks when Yellow and Trouble first hit.  That was a really great intro to Coldplay.  When I got back to the states I couldn’t find their CD lol. Took a few more weeks
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    love this and the dude's kudos to pj.
    it's a big win here.
    ty OP
  • Options
    Coldplay are amazing live. They'll never be a band that people follow around on tour since they don't switch up the setlist but it's still an incredible live experience seeing them in person. For anyone doubting the quality of their show or the level of musicianship, check out their "Live 2012" stuff, most of which can be found on YouTube. You won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Covers are covers. Artists paying homage to artists who influenced them. Granted I don’t own a single Coldplay record but there is worse stuff out there. Having said that, am I the only one slightly puzzled that Coldplay was the band chosen to open Climate Pledge Arena? A city with such a rich music history couldn’t find any hometown heroes to christen the joint? 

EDIT- I guess Coldplay was touring and probably have a new album? Still seems like a missed opportunity to me
    Foo Fighters and Death Cab played the first show on Tuesday.
    That makes a little more sense. Wouldn’t be my first choices but better than Coldplay 
    I think Grohl is probably the best choice other than PJ to open a Seattle arena.  
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,438
    Page 2 and no one commented on the Speed of Sound connection that both bands have a song called that?  I liked Coldplay's version of Speed of Sound better.  Nothingman is a Top 10 PJ song for me.

If you've never seen Coldplay cover Beastie Boys Fight for your Right to Party, I like it a lot and they make it their own.  I've seen Coldplay live 4 times and always have a blast.  Different experience than PJ of course but it's still fun.

Speed of Sound by Coldplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_1kvDh2UA

Fight for your Right to Party cover by Coldplay:

This was a tribute to Adam "MCA" Yauch when he passed away.  Really touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9yq88LY2N0

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    Page 2 and no one commented on the Speed of Sound connection that both bands have a song called that?  I liked Coldplay's version of Speed of Sound better.  Nothingman is a Top 10 PJ song for me.

If you've never seen Coldplay cover Beastie Boys Fight for your Right to Party, I like it a lot and they make it their own.  I've seen Coldplay live 4 times and always have a blast.  Different experience than PJ of course but it's still fun.

Speed of Sound by Coldplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_1kvDh2UA

Fight for your Right to Party cover by Coldplay:

This was a tribute to Adam "MCA" Yauch when he passed away.  Really touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9yq88LY2N0

I like both Speed of Sounds. But Pearl Jam's better. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited November 2021
    Man I love "Trouble" 

As good a first 3 albums as just about any
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    So now that the video is removed, what song was it anyway?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    strilo said:
    So now that the video is removed, what song was it anyway?
    Nothingman

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PapaljuicePapaljuice Jacksonville Posts: 502
    Pearl Jam - ST. PETERSBURG, FL 3-29-94 / WEST PALM BEACH, FL 9-22-98 / TAMPA, FL 8-12-00 / CHARLOTTE, NC 10/30/13 / ST. LOUIS, MO 10-03-2014 / TAMPA, FL 4-11-16 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 4-13-16
    Eddie Vedder - JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/24/12 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/25/12 / ORLANDO, FL 11-28-12