Gabby Petito

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    so the parents "stumbled" across the (at least one of) personal items that were found; the father found the backpack. They are denying that he planted it. but how odd that he found it and not law enforcement. I'm sure forensics will tell the story eventually. 
    Yeah something seems pretty fishy. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    He dead... 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429

FBI: Laundrie admitted killing Gabby Petito in notebook
    By MEAD GRUVER
    Yesterday

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — The boyfriend of slain cross-country traveler Gabby Petito admitted killing her in a notebook discovered near his body in a Florida swamp, the FBI announced Friday.

It was the first time authorities squarely pinned the blame for Petito’s death on Brian Laundrie, though he was the prime suspect all along.

Investigators meanwhile announced that Laundrie, 23, had sent text messages to intentionally deceive people that Petito, 22, was still alive after he beat and strangled her in late August, according to a statement released by the FBI in Denver.

“All logical investigative steps have been concluded in this case,” FBI Denver Division Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider said in the statement. “The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito."

Petito's body was found Sept. 19 at a campground near Grand Teton National Park in northwestern Wyoming. A coroner determined she'd died about three weeks earlier of "blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation.”

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I wonder if he gave much detail as to what happened.  Very sad.

I'm always fascinated that people like him can lead a relatively uneventful life, commit a serious crime, then keep living like nothing happened.

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814

I'm always fascinated that people like him can lead a relatively uneventful life, commit a serious crime, then keep living like nothing happened.

There are people like that. I knew of a guy in a former job...around 70 and some health problems. I didn't know him well but I had one phone conversation with him and he seemed like a nice enough guy. Later on he gets picked up for having (allegedly; he died before the courts played out) murdered his wife over ten years prior. To my knowledge, both before and after the murder he was pretty normal and no more of a threat than you or I. I just can't imagine going through life knowing I'd done something like that. Hell, I still feel guilty about the time I stole a hockey puck at the local rink when I was like 10.

Here it is.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2014/11/10/john-bloomfield-accused-murder-died/18813301/
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

There are people like that. I knew of a guy in a former job...around 70 and some health problems. I didn't know him well but I had one phone conversation with him and he seemed like a nice enough guy. Later on he gets picked up for having (allegedly; he died before the courts played out) murdered his wife over ten years prior. To my knowledge, both before and after the murder he was pretty normal and no more of a threat than you or I. I just can't imagine going through life knowing I'd done something like that. Hell, I still feel guilty about the time I stole a hockey puck at the local rink when I was like 10.

Here it is.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2014/11/10/john-bloomfield-accused-murder-died/18813301/
    crazy stuff

I had a client whose father killed his mother and had absolutely no memory of it. It was some sort of prescription error related to his Parkinson's treatment.  He was like 75 or 80 when it happened.

Father served time in prison and died there. He was devastated by it due to having no memory.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    OnWis97 said:

Here it is.

Oh man, I was expecting the link to take me to the story of you stealing the hockey puck.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Petito family awarded 3 million from Police department.  I don't agree with that one.

They are now suing the parents of Brian Laundrie for a wrongful death suit.  Not sure how that works?  You're going to sue the parents of the murderer?  Anyone that dies can go after the parents of a killer/murderer?  Geeze that's just stupid.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Petito family awarded 3 million from Police department.  I don't agree with that one.

They are now suing the parents of Brian Laundrie for a wrongful death suit.  Not sure how that works?  You're going to sue the parents of the murderer?  Anyone that dies can go after the parents of a killer/murderer?  Geeze that's just stupid.
    I don't remember police of being accused of any wrong doing, so I'm not sure what they were awarded that either.
    I could see the parents though, because didn't they help with some of the coverup and withheld information? They weren't very cooperative. I get it, who wants to help with the murder case against their son. Maybe not a wrongful death suit, because they weren't responsible for her death, but some other lawsuit for their actions that lead to this being drug out longer and all the unnecessary pain created.
    Petito family awarded 3 million from Police department.  I don't agree with that one.

The suit stated that the police should have identified a problem and provided safety to Gabby instead of turning her loose with Brian when they were pulled over.

It's a tough one. If you have two adults telling you everything is fine what do you do?

• Petito family awarded 3 million from Police department.  I don't agree with that one.

Got a link? 

I just googled, and only see them getting $3m from Laundrie's estate.

I see another where they filed a suit 2 weeks ago against an officer from the Moab PD for $50M, but don't see anything about a $3M settlement from law enforcement. 

Got a link? 

I see another where they filed a suit 2 weeks ago against an officer from the Moab PD for $50M, but don't see anything about a $3M settlement from law enforcement. 
    AACK!  I heard the news wrong.  They were awarded 3million Wrongful death suit from the Laundries which I think is absolutely stupid.

Yes they filed for 50M against UTAH police for "wrongful death" also.

Either way I don't agree with either one of these and the parents getting sued held up?  They wouldn't have wanted me on that jury.

Got a link? 

AACK!  I heard the news wrong.  They were awarded 3million Wrongful death suit from the Laundries which I think is absolutely stupid.

Either way I don't agree with either one of these and the parents getting sued held up?  They wouldn't have wanted me on that jury.

There wasn't a jury. The two families came to a settlement. 

https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-climate-and-environment-7159613db87ca608141d264fb1723c08
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited November 2022

Got a link? 

https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-climate-and-environment-7159613db87ca608141d264fb1723c08
    WHAT?  That is even more absurd.

EDIT:  I went back to read this again and make sure I got everything now.  It says there is ANOTHER suit filed against the family that says Laundrie’s parents wrongly concealed that he confessed to killing Petito before he returned home in September 2021 to Florida from their trip out West in a converted van.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on

Got a link? 

I look at it the other way around... if the Laundries agreed to this, there's probably a lot more to it than we know. 
    how do you award wrongful death when all they did was conceal that she had already been killed?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So it was Gabby's estate suing Brian's estate. Not sure what his estate is worth though.

Got a link? 

I look at it the other way around... if the Laundries agreed to this, there's probably a lot more to it than we know. 
    Apparently since they have another lawsuit or the Laundries lawyer agreed to do it because they hide or file their money away or maybe they have no kids left and will donate their money to the lawsuit?

So yeah, I do have questions even more now.  It is just like I said though, absurd.
  • how do you award wrongful death when all they did was conceal that she had already been killed?
    They actually have a second lawsuit trying to find that one out.

Got a link? 

Apparently since they have another lawsuit or the Laundries lawyer agreed to do it because they hide or file their money away or maybe they have no kids left and will donate their money to the lawsuit?

So yeah, I do have questions even more now.  It is just like I said though, absurd.
    Is it absurd if they indeed prevented Petito's parents from facing their daughter's killer & seeing him brought to justice? 

Here's a thought: maybe don't help your son evade authorities when he's wanted in connection w/ the murder of his girlfriend.

Got a link? 

Is it absurd if they indeed prevented Petito's parents from facing their daughter's killer & seeing him brought to justice? 

Here's a thought: maybe don't help your son evade authorities when he's wanted in connection w/ the murder of his girlfriend.
    It's your own kid.  That's one way of looking at it.  You do what you can to keep them safe but I don't know if it's like that considering they let him go off on a death march into the forest.

I still don't see how Laundrie offing himself instead of facing a jury is worth money?
    justice/closure for Gabby's loved ones. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Got a link? 

It's your own kid.  That's one way of looking at it.  You do what you can to keep them safe but I don't know if it's like that considering they let him go off on a death march into the forest.

I still don't see how Laundrie offing himself instead of facing a jury is worth money?
    Is there any crime too heinous where the "it's your own kid" excuse gets thrown out the window? 

& regarding your last point.... the two parties involved saw how it was worth money, and they agreed it was worth $3M. The Laundries chose that option over this lawsuit going to trial. 

Got a link? 

Is there any crime too heinous where the "it's your own kid" excuse gets thrown out the window? 

& regarding your last point.... the two parties involved saw how it was worth money, and they agreed it was worth $3M. The Laundries chose that option over this lawsuit going to trial. 
    They let their own kid go out to die in the woods so they didn't protect him too well.

Yes they agreed to a sum, I don't get why.  The second lawsuit doesn't make sense to me is where this is going.  They want to sue the parents for him killing himself and not facing a trial?  Yeah, I don't get why you want to keep on revisiting this wound?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited November 2022

Got a link? 

They let their own kid go out to die in the woods so they didn't protect him too well.

Yes they agreed to a sum, I don't get why.  The second lawsuit doesn't make sense to me is where this is going.  They want to sue the parents for him killing himself and not facing a trial?  Yeah, I don't get why you want to keep on revisiting this wound?
    Its not surprising that they agreed. I'm sure there was a lot of thought and financial advice put into it. A high profile case like this that would probably go on for months would cost lots in defending (probably a lot less than 3 million though)
    But also the toll of a case like this going public, the news coverage, going through all the details publicly, etc. Probably would wind up losing their house anyway. So why not agree to 3 million, pay what portion you can and declare bankruptcy or whatever they need to do? I mean, OJ has paid almost nothing to the Goldmans, so they may not have any intention of paying. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on

Got a link? 

They aren't suing the parents because he killed himself. They're suing the parents for allegedly concealing that he confessed to the murder.

It's in the AP article I linked: 

"The lawsuit involving the estates of Petito and Laundrie, filed in May, claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused her death. A separate lawsuit, still pending in Sarasota, claims Laundrie’s parents wrongly concealed that he confessed to killing Petito before he returned home in September 2021 to Florida from their trip out West in a converted van."

If they indeed concealed his confession, then they helped their son avoid facing the consequences of his actions. The reasons for the lawsuit seem pretty cut & dry to me. Whether there's any truth to the allegations, well.... we'll have to stay tuned I guess. 

Got a link? 

They aren't suing the parents because he killed himself. They're suing the parents for allegedly concealing that he confessed to the murder.

It's in the AP article I linked: 

"The lawsuit involving the estates of Petito and Laundrie, filed in May, claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused her death. A separate lawsuit, still pending in Sarasota, claims Laundrie’s parents wrongly concealed that he confessed to killing Petito before he returned home in September 2021 to Florida from their trip out West in a converted van."

If they indeed concealed his confession, then they helped their son avoid facing the consequences of his actions. The reasons for the lawsuit seem pretty cut & dry to me. Whether there's any truth to the allegations, well.... we'll have to stay tuned I guess. 
    I'm wording it different.  The family, if they concealed they knew, did let their son go out on his own terms and the Petito family is upset that they didn't get their justice.  So, yes, they are suing because he killed himself pretty much.