Colin Powell ( opinions )

2»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:
    he was SOS who knowingly mislead the UN about WMD to start a war, ending in the murder of thousands of innocents. 

that's not the same as "following orders in the military", which, by the way, you also aren't allowed to do if you know it's illegal. 

excusing the massacre of thousands while constantly vilifying another for wearing blackface is, well, a tad inconsistent, and just shows the bias at play. 

I'd argue whomever was in that position would have done the same thing. Bush's decision ultimately.....
    what I read was (and of course this could be untrue) that he initially pushed back against war in iraq. But then was pressured and he caved. that, to me, shows a lack of character. I agree with halifax, if he truly didn't agree with it, he should have resigned. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    According to the United Nations, a war crime is a serious breach of international law committed against civilians or “enemy combatants” during an international or domestic armed conflict. A war crime occurs when superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering is inflicted upon an enemy.

A decent case can be made that he was a war criminal. Stating that fact is not the same thing as making an "insult". 

Fact?  I guess I don't understand the meaning of "fact".
    Or maybe there's no "innocent until proven guilty" where you come from?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    According to the United Nations, a war crime is a serious breach of international law committed against civilians or “enemy combatants” during an international or domestic armed conflict. A war crime occurs when superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering is inflicted upon an enemy.

A decent case can be made that he was a war criminal. Stating that fact is not the same thing as making an "insult". 

The “fact” is that a decent case can be made, like I said. And there is plenty of information available on the issue for people to make up their minds. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:

The “fact” is that a decent case can be made, like I said. And there is plenty of information available on the issue for people to make up their minds. 

OK, at least I know what you mean by "fact".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.