Options

Colin Powell ( opinions )

DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
What's everyone's take on Powell?

Do you think he'll run for office again? President? Whatever?

He's certainly going to regret going to the UN with allegations on Iraqi WMD -
anyone running against him for anything will certainly be bringing that up

But at the same time, he's tried to distance himself from Bush & Co, and more importantly, I believe in my heart, that just about everyone on both sides of the aisle respect this man

I think he should get back in the game at some point, because he was if nothing else, a very clear and intelligent thinker

Thanks
I'll keep taking punches
Untill their will grows tired
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    What's everyone's take on Powell?

Do you think he'll run for office again? President? Whatever?

He's certainly going to regret going to the UN with allegations on Iraqi WMD -
    anyone running against him for anything will certainly be bringing that up

But at the same time, he's tried to distance himself from Bush & Co, and more importantly, I believe in my heart, that just about everyone on both sides of the aisle respect this man

I think he should get back in the game at some point, because he was if nothing else, a very clear and intelligent thinker

Thanks

You can't help kill thousands of people or help start a war then later try and distance yourself from it.

what he did/caused should haunt him until the day he dies.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    A once brillinat man who became an Uncle Tom for Bush.
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    A once brillinat man who became an Uncle Tom for Bush.

He may have become something for/with Bush & Co. , but please explain the
    Uncle Tom comment
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    when bush was elected/appointed in 2000 i did not have such a bad taste in my mouth because i thought that powell was the only decent person in the cabinet and that he would try to not screw things up. that said, he lost my respect when he shilled for the march to war at the UN. i think he fell on his sword instead of standing up to rumsfeld and cheney. i expected that from bush, cheney, rummy, ashcroft et al, but not from powell.

if you back something that you know is wrong, or betray your gut feelings then you are an uncle tom, and it is evident that this is exactly what powell did. i admire what he has done lately with standing up to bush on treatment of detainees, but it is too late for him. he is unelectable based on his UN performance. that is his legacy, a good man gone to bat for the wrong cause, and for what?? i hope he pays for his charade for eternity. may this country and the muslim world forgive him, and may god have mercy on his soul.

DCGARDEN wrote:
    Uncle Tom comment
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    another dangling puppet, but probably a really nice guy, i would think.
    you know, other than that whole 'your actions in office(for the most part) sucked ass' thing he's got against him.

two cents
    peace
    lz
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Uncle Tom comment
    I dont get how this term gets thrown around. It's a bit degrading to say the least. Please explain what you meant.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Uncle Tom comment

Read a book every once in a while, would ya? :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:

I question the use of this term ,not because I don't understand it's meaning, but more because I thought it to be a term specifically applied in Racial circumstance. Could be I was wrong, but telling me to " Read a book " is not exactly what I was looking for as an explanation

No matter
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Did a search and found a really, really, really old thread to post this in. :)

Cute...just cute.
    http://news.yahoo.com/colin-powell-selfie-facebook-155056833.html

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PC opinion: stooge
    real opinion: MURDERING SPINELESS STOOGE
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    DCGARDEN said:

enharmonic" said:

I question the use of this term ,not because I don't understand it's meaning, but more because I thought it to be a term specifically applied in Racial circumstance. Could be I was wrong, but telling me to " Read a book " is not exactly what I was looking for as an explanation

No matter

Apparently neither of you has read Uncle Tom's Cabin. The epithet "Uncle Tom" was derived from later white stage productions of the novel, in which, they satirize Uncle Tom and make him into an oafish slavery apologist. Even wikipedia knows this.
    Colin Powell is an African American who fights and promotes imperialist wars against Non-Caucasians for extremely wealthy Caucasian men who often fail to hold their overt racism in check. He has become very wealthy and influential from hard work and obedient servitude, while many African Americans who work equally hard and serve just as obediently are so much cannon fodder. Clearly, this fits the contemporary "house slave", "uncle tom" definition, how could that possibly have needed explained?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    RIP!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    War criminal
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    edited October 2021
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal

Competing with Trump for "Boldest Insult of a Recently Deceased Major American Figure"? 
    Get in line. 
    And while you're at it, maybe learn a little discretion in timing.  You only make yourself look bad here.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
    edited October 2021
    brianlux said:
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal

Competing with Trump for "Boldest Insult of a Recently Deceased Major American Figure"? 
    Get in line. 
    And while you're at it, maybe learn a little discretion in timing.  You only make yourself look bad here.
    A war criminal is still a war criminal. These people could have had some discretion in timing and not bombed children.

He should have died a "Major American Figure" from old age in a prison cell.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal
    You're not wrong.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Man, I miss gambs. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    It's kind of funny to see him treated well when just about everyone should dislike him. He was a GOP neo-con warmonger. The left has always, for the most part, hated that. And today's GQP hates it, too (it's about their only redeeming quality). I guess his professional demeaner, the still-existent respect held for the military, and "don't speak ill of the dead" are all in play.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    How is he a war criminal?  He was a general in the army, when you join the military you follow orders or face charges.  POTUS is the man who makes the ultimate call if military action is needed, am I correct?  Powell always seemed like a good one…and a respected 4 star general.  Also was he not one of the rare republicans who was disgusted by Trump.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal

Get in line. 
    I get what you're saying Brian, but why do we have this habit of praising someone who is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of people, just because they recently died? it's so odd to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    How is he a war criminal?  He was a general in the army, when you join the military you follow orders or face charges.  POTUS is the man who makes the ultimate call if military action is needed, am I correct?  Powell always seemed like a good one…and a respected 4 star general.  Also was he not one of the rare republicans who was disgusted by Trump.

Because he lied about WMDs to justify going into a never ending war?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal

Get in line. 
    I get what you're saying Brian, but why do we have this habit of praising someone who is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of people, just because they recently died? it's so odd to me. 

Yeah, I get what your saying.  I just don't like the "OK he's dead, now let's heap our hatred on him."   It just seems wrong to do that when someone has just died.  I suppose if we were talking about someone like Hitler, or some other major evil soul, that might be a different story.  But most often, trashing someone when they die?  To me that says as much about the person doing the trashing as it does the person being trashed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal

Get in line. 

Yeah, I get what your saying.  I just don't like the "OK he's dead, now let's heap our hatred on him."   It just seems wrong to do that when someone has just died.  I suppose if we were talking about someone like Hitler, or some other major evil soul, that might be a different story.  But most often, trashing someone when they die?  To me that says as much about the person doing the trashing as it does the person being trashed.
    I feel like most of those "trashing" are doing so as a reaction to the glorification of the person. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Moonpig said:
    War criminal

Get in line. 

I feel like most of those "trashing" are doing so as a reaction to the glorification of the person. 

Well, I won't be glorifying him, nor will I trash him, not at this time.

• Options
    They say the 1st casualty of war is the truth.  He’s a general who is trained to follow orders…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    he was SOS who knowingly mislead the UN about WMD to start a war, ending in the murder of thousands of innocents. 

that's not the same as "following orders in the military", which, by the way, you also aren't allowed to do if you know it's illegal. 

excusing the massacre of thousands while constantly vilifying another for wearing blackface is, well, a tad inconsistent, and just shows the bias at play. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    According to the United Nations, a war crime is a serious breach of international law committed against civilians or “enemy combatants” during an international or domestic armed conflict. A war crime occurs when superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering is inflicted upon an enemy.

A decent case can be made that he was a war criminal. Stating that fact is not the same thing as making an "insult". 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I lost all respect for the man when he sold his soul to Darth Cheney and the Evil Empire with his dog & pony show before the UN. He should have resigned and kept his reputation intact.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    he was SOS who knowingly mislead the UN about WMD to start a war, ending in the murder of thousands of innocents. 

that's not the same as "following orders in the military", which, by the way, you also aren't allowed to do if you know it's illegal. 

excusing the massacre of thousands while constantly vilifying another for wearing blackface is, well, a tad inconsistent, and just shows the bias at play. 

I'd argue whomever was in that position would have done the same thing. Bush's decision ultimately.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I'd argue whomever was in that position would have done the same thing. Bush's decision ultimately.....
    Agreed.  The bucks stop with the presidents, and other than Trump most presidents stand and take responsibility…

I could care a less if the un feels they were lied to…the urn is useless.

I think it’s a forgone conclusion that the POTUS will get blood on his hands…part of the job.  I don’t necessarily like it…but it is what it is and I’d still rather have the US as a friend…even though it may not seem it times.

Give Peas A Chance…