2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Poncier said:
    Westbrook and Lebron don't look like they can coexist successfully. Both need the ball in their hands.
    That was evident during pre season.  westbrook should ball handle drive and dump every time.  That might work. or pick and roll with LBJ and let him secondary distribute.

Hell I don't know.  If Brooklyn can figure it out I sure hope the Lakers can.
    Brooklyn figured it out? What did I miss?
    Kyrie said that Harden is to handle the ball.  That and they figured out how to play last year with a revolving line up.  Surely you saw that last year?  They are still favored to win the east this year.

Come on now...
    They were a super team expected to waltz to the Finals. Instead they played about 10 games together during the regular season, finished behind the Sixers, and then lost in the second round. I think I'd need to see more success than that to say they've figured it out...
    I agree.  just like the Sixers...

EDIT: The Nets played much better than the Sixers IMO during the playoffs.  BOTH teams should have gone further.  I think the Nets are built better and run better.

We will see since Vegas agrees w me too.
    Not much of a stretch to say the Nets, with three potential hall of famers, are built better than the Sixers...especially with what the Sixers are dealing with right now.

Happy to have basketball back at least.
    Speaking of the Sixers.  How is Philly treating Benamin in the sports pages there?  I'm sure it can't be good?
    Literally nobody calls him Benamin except for one washed up reporter. lol
    I see it tweeted a lot now.  I love it actually.  Heard it mentioned here on NY sports radio too and he wasn't a reporter.

But I read the Sixers thread and am all caught up now.  Thanks for your take.
    Trust me. Benamin is not a thing. Especially if you know anything about the reporter who calls him that...Howard Eskin. He sucks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Poncier said:
    Westbrook and Lebron don't look like they can coexist successfully. Both need the ball in their hands.
    That was evident during pre season.  westbrook should ball handle drive and dump every time.  That might work. or pick and roll with LBJ and let him secondary distribute.

Kyrie said that Harden is to handle the ball.  That and they figured out how to play last year with a revolving line up.  Surely you saw that last year?  They are still favored to win the east this year.

Come on now...
    They were a super team expected to waltz to the Finals. Instead they played about 10 games together during the regular season, finished behind the Sixers, and then lost in the second round. I think I'd need to see more success than that to say they've figured it out...

EDIT: The Nets played much better than the Sixers IMO during the playoffs.  BOTH teams should have gone further.  I think the Nets are built better and run better.

Not much of a stretch to say the Nets, with three potential hall of famers, are built better than the Sixers...especially with what the Sixers are dealing with right now.

Speaking of the Sixers.  How is Philly treating Benamin in the sports pages there?  I'm sure it can't be good?
    I see it tweeted a lot now.  I love it actually.  Heard it mentioned here on NY sports radio too and he wasn't a reporter.

Trust me. Benamin is not a thing. Especially if you know anything about the reporter who calls him that...Howard Eskin. He sucks. 
    I definitely didn't hear it from him.  I laughed so hard hearing about it and I started seeing it more.

Man I thought this would go further, lol.
    edited October 2021
    Poncier said:

Come on now...

I definitely didn't hear it from him.  I laughed so hard hearing about it and I started seeing it more.

He coined the phrase years ago. It never stuck. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Poncier said:

Come on now...

He coined the phrase years ago. It never stuck. lol

Yeah I wish I'd heard it then, I would have ran with that!.  I do love it, especially since the playoff debacle.
  • Predictions!  Lets make some and revisit them at the end of the year!
    Poncier said:

Come on now...

Yeah I wish I'd heard it then, I would have ran with that!.  I do love it, especially since the playoff debacle.
    Plenty of better ways to make fun of Ben. It would work better if he actually went by Benjamin but he doesn't. Seems forced to me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Poncier said:

Come on now...

Plenty of better ways to make fun of Ben. It would work better if he actually went by Benjamin but he doesn't. Seems forced to me. 
    Man you are a homer...
    Poncier said:

Come on now...

Man you are a homer...
    Because I don't like a nickname? Dude, I hate Ben Simmons at this point. Lol.  But it's a dumb nickname coined by a horrible reporter here. Just pointing out that it's not a name people use. 

I now refer to him as Mr. August, as that is when his yearly Instagram videos of him dominating scrubs at LA Fitness come out. He's draining all kinds of jumpers and threes in them that he's afraid to take from October through June. So...yeah go with Mr. August. It's got more cache than Benamin.

It's got cache, baby. It's got cache out the ying yang. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Poncier said:

Come on now...

Man you are a homer...
    Because I don't like a nickname? Dude, I hate Ben Simmons at this point. Lol.  But it's a dumb nickname coined by a horrible reporter here. Just pointing out that it's not a name people use. 

I now refer to him as Mr. August, as that is when his yearly Instagram videos of him dominating scrubs at LA Fitness come out. He's draining all kinds of jumpers and threes in them that he's afraid to take from October through June. So...yeah go with Mr. August. It's got more cache than Benamin.

It's got cache, baby. It's got cache out the ying yang. 
    That is funny Homer./s

I do recall all of the videos he would post of his jumper in practice but then he forgets during the regular season.
  • Knicks win in dbl OT.  Let's see how the rest of the season goes...

Is anyone all in on Lamelo?  Is he going to be a great one?  I haven't seen enough of his games to pass the eye test.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • So apparently Kyrie Irving was selected to the 75th anniversary team.....but then removed....presumably due to his anti-vaccine stance. I've seen articles about this...so I tested it out. When I searched on Bing for "Kyrie Irving NBA 75" this link is in the results.....

But when you click the link now, you get an error message....

https://www.nba.com/nets/video/2021/10/20/nba-75-kyrie-irving

Whether Kyrie is a top-75 player is debatable. But if he got voted on, pulling him for his anti-vaxx stance is pretty lame. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • So apparently Kyrie Irving was selected to the 75th anniversary team.....but then removed....presumably due to his anti-vaccine stance. I've seen articles about this...so I tested it out. When I searched on Bing for "Kyrie Irving NBA 75" this link is in the results.....

Whether Kyrie is a top-75 player is debatable. But if he got voted on, pulling him for his anti-vaxx stance is pretty lame. 

I saw that list.  I would have removed him if I saw it on there.  Also Ant Davis and Ray Allen.

If they kept DsBusschere then Ben Wallace should have been added.

Damian Lillard I have a hard time w being on the list too.

James Worthy at 76 is disrespectful.  He was a tremendous player.
  • Does Paul Pierce belong on there?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited October 2021
    So apparently Kyrie Irving was selected to the 75th anniversary team.....but then removed....presumably due to his anti-vaccine stance. I've seen articles about this...so I tested it out. When I searched on Bing for "Kyrie Irving NBA 75" this link is in the results.....

I saw that list.  I would have removed him if I saw it on there.  Also Ant Davis and Ray Allen.

Well first off, they're not ranked. He's last because of alphabetical order. 

As for DeBusschere, everyone from the 50th anniversary team made this one, which is why they shouldn't have voted from scratch. They should've just added 25 guys to the original 50. I'm fine with DeBusschere and everyone else in the original 50. 

I don't think the following players belong.....

Reggie Miller
    Dame Lillard
    Dennis Rodman (I'm a huge fan and appreciate his game, but he doesn't belong here)
    Anthony Davis (would've gone with Dwight Howard over him)
    Carmelo Anthony

Don't know who I'd replace these guys with though. But nothing about any of these guys suggest "all-time team" to me. Frankly, Rodman comes the closest. 

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

As for DeBusschere, everyone from the 50th anniversary team made this one, which is why they shouldn't have voted from scratch. They should've just added 25 guys to the original 50. I'm fine with DeBusschere and everyone else in the original 50. 

Reggie Miller
    Dame Lillard
    Dennis Rodman (I'm a huge fan and appreciate his game, but he doesn't belong here)
    Carmelo Anthony

Don't know who I'd replace these guys with though. But nothing about any of these guys suggest "all-time team" to me. Frankly, Rodman comes the closest. 

Yes I know it's ABC order, just seeing Worthy at the end of it makes me sick though, lol.

Miller, Rodman and Anthony are deserving.

Miller could flat out ball.  

Rodman was a part of 2 dynasty's and very much a big cog of them.

Anthony can score on anyone and got the short end of the stick.  You know he is top 10 all time in scoring?

I would put on Ben Wallace for being a defensive menace and winning those championships.  
    Pete Maravich should be on the list for what he introduced.
    I think Chris Webber gets slighted too.  I would lean to him over Ray Allen.  Allen was one dimensional.  Webber was not.

Those 3 I would add over whom I took out.
  • Reggie Miller is the most overrated player in NBA history. In his prime, he basically averaged 21/3/3 while playing absolutely no defense. Plus he couldn't create his own shot. That's why the Pacers ran him around picks like a mouse in a maze. He has some good clutch moments here and there and was certainly memorable. But not all that great to the point where he should be on this anniversary team. 

Rodman was a part of five championships and was a huge cog in them. Same goes for Parker and Ginobli though, and they're not on the list.

Anthony Davis made the team, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say he got the shot end of the stick. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    So apparently Kyrie Irving was selected to the 75th anniversary team.....but then removed....presumably due to his anti-vaccine stance. I've seen articles about this...so I tested it out. When I searched on Bing for "Kyrie Irving NBA 75" this link is in the results.....

You mean to tell me Ray Allen is not the #2 player all time in NBA history?????
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

Reggie Miller
    Dame Lillard
    Carmelo Anthony

I would put on Ben Wallace for being a defensive menace and winning those championships.  

That championship. Singular. 2004. One only.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Reggie Miller is the most overrated player in NBA history. In his prime, he basically averaged 21/3/3 while playing absolutely no defense. Plus he couldn't create his own shot. That's why the Pacers ran him around picks like a mouse in a maze. He has some good clutch moments here and there and was certainly memorable. But not all that great to the point where he should be on this anniversary team. 

Rodman was a part of five championships and was a huge cog in them. Same goes for Parker and Ginobli though, and they're not on the list.

Anthony Davis made the team, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say he got the shot end of the stick. 
    Anthony, Carmelo.  I said I would pull Anthony Davis off that team.  Anthony Davis isn't top 10 in anything yet, lol.

Parker and Ginoboli were good but not great.  Not game changers IMO.  I like both of them too.  

Dennis Rodman altered games w his play.  You don't get 17 boards a game and draw fouls and not give the other team fits.

Reggie Miller's defense back then was not elite but he guarded Jordan.  Today?  Dude would win DPOTY today!  This is something that I disagree w Bill Simmons about.

Mutumbo and Mourning are 2 on the cusp for me also.

Bill Walton?  he might get nixed too but he was really good when he was healthy.
  • Poncier said:

Reggie Miller
    Dame Lillard
    Carmelo Anthony

That championship. Singular. 2004. One only.
    Yeah yeah, they lost the second time...

Anthony, Carmelo.  I said I would pull Anthony Davis off that team.  Anthony Davis isn't top 10 in anything yet, lol.

Parker and Ginoboli were good but not great.  Not game changers IMO.  I like both of them too.  

Dennis Rodman altered games w his play.  You don't get 17 boards a game and draw fouls and not give the other team fits.

Reggie Miller's defense back then was not elite but he guarded Jordan.  Today?  Dude would win DPOTY today!  This is something that I disagree w Bill Simmons about.

Bill Walton?  he might get nixed too but he was really good when he was healthy.
    It's not like he guarded Jordan every game. 

With regards to Bill Simmons, I'm guessing you noticed that my anti-Miller rant is basically taken right out of Simmons' Book of Basketball. Like you, there's a lot I disagree with Simmons on, but I think he's 100% dead-on when it comes to Reggie. We'll have to agree to disagree. 

I got confused and thought you meant Davis when you said "Anthony." But no I don't think Carmelo belongs. Well....let me rephrase that. I wouldn't vote for him. I understand people voting for him though. Of course he's top-10 all-time in scoring....because he's top-10 in FG attempts. I don't know, he's just epitome of a guy putting up stats but never winning anything. I just was never a fan. 

I'm not gonna argue on Rodman because I've spent so many years arguing your side of the argument. So I don't disagree that he was a great, important player. I'm just not sure I'd have him on this list. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

It's not like he guarded Jordan every game. 

With regards to Bill Simmons, I'm guessing you noticed that my anti-Miller rant is basically taken right out of Simmons' Book of Basketball. Like you, there's a lot I disagree with Simmons on, but I think he's 100% dead-on when it comes to Reggie. We'll have to agree to disagree. 

I got confused and thought you meant Davis when you said "Anthony." But no I don't think Carmelo belongs. Well....let me rephrase that. I wouldn't vote for him. I understand people voting for him though. Of course he's top-10 all-time in scoring....because he's top-10 in FG attempts. I don't know, he's just epitome of a guy putting up stats but never winning anything. I just was never a fan. 

I'm not gonna argue on Rodman because I've spent so many years arguing your side of the argument. So I don't disagree that he was a great, important player. I'm just not sure I'd have him on this list. 
    Melo I have a soft spot for.  He could be put in the same book as Nique and lillard but no one can guard him. He’s not a leader which was his major downfall.

Yes I figured you borrowed some of Simmon’s views on Reggie, lol.  I watched enough games w him that he would get my vote for sure.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    The greatest pick-and-roll pairing, i.e. Karl Malone and John Stockton, is included!! :joy:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Ja dropped 30 again last night to beat the Warriors. Currently leading the league in scoring. 

• Jumb0 said:
    Ja dropped 30 again last night to beat the Warriors. Currently leading the league in scoring. 

I seriously hope he breaks through further.  Dude has talent.  Really young team except Adams in the paint.
    Yeah Morant is gonna be a star for the next decade plus. Saw him play in person a couple years ago against the Sixers. Fun to watch.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Yeah Morant is gonna be a star for the next decade plus. Saw him play in person a couple years ago against the Sixers. Fun to watch.
    Last year i said he is the future!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    I haven't seen any game yet but I've read lot if good things about Bulls..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..