Options

‘Horrific’: Woman raped on Philadelphia train while bystanders did nothing, police say

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

People suck…what more can be said at this point.

‘Horrific’: Woman raped on Philadelphia train while bystanders did nothing, police say

“There was a lot of people, in my opinion, that should have intervened; somebody should have done something,” Bernhardt said. “It speaks to where we are in society; I mean, who would allow something like that to take place? So it’s troubling.”
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I read about that earlier and had a hard time fathoming how this was even possible. 

There but the for the grace of XXX go I…go all of us. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    “There were other people on the train who witnessed this horrific act, and it may have been stopped sooner if a rider called 911,” the authority said.

No one called 911?  Unbelievable. :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I really have lost  all faith in humanity. 
    What a despicable race humans are 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    To the people who sat by and did nothing, what if that was your daughter, niece, mother, aunt, girl friend, etc?

• Options
    People just don’t give a shit.

brian is right.  It’s “unbelievable” that know one called 911.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,009
    edited October 2021
    I will not read the article and has only read the thread headline--

--but there is a french study where they "acted out" a rape in a subway in Paris, and if the cart was crowded no one did anything - if there was only 1-2 people in the cart they acted. 

The theory was about how in group people get passive and psychological expect someone else to act.

But horrific. I can't take these kind of things.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    This is a horrible part of human nature that is really not new. Kitty Genovese was the subject of a similar case. Lots of people stood around and watched her being attacked, and ultimately killed. No one did a thing to help her. This was back in the 1970's, IIRC.

People definitely suck, and they have since the beginning. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I will not read the article and has only read the thread headline--

--but there is a french study where they "acted out" a rape in a subway in Paris, and if the cart was crowded no one did anything - if there was only 1-2 people in the cart they acted. 

The theory was about how in group people get passive and psychological expect someone else to act.

But horrific. I can't take these kind of things.
    It is a weird quirk of the human brain - the larger the group, the less each person feels responsibility to take action. There’s always the sense that “someone else” will take care of it. I experience this frequently in a much less traumatic way, in meetings (especially on zoom). If you ask the whole group for someone to volunteer to do something, no one will step up, but if you ask people one on one they have a much harder time saying no. 

Plus in a violent situation people often freeze. Often only those with training, like first responders, will be able to overcome that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,009
    edited October 2021
    I remember an 80s movie with Jodie Foster where she is being assaulted on a pinball machine (?) covers this kind of thing also. 

Might be remembering the movie wrong. Saw it maybe 20-25 years ago.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    and you never know who might be carrying a gun and be willing to use it. not that this excuses trying to help, even by discreet phone call..... but it may be one consideration.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I remember an 80s movie with Jodie Foster where she is being assaulted on a pinball machine (?) covers this kind of thing also. 

The Accused.

At the least, no one even called for help?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    hedonist said:

The Accused.

At the least, no one even called for help?
    not any witnesses ON the train.. station employee saw something off at one stop and called cops.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Yeah I’ll call bs on if in crowd you do nothing expecting someone else to act.  Replace this perp with a cop arresting someone for j walking and the arrest was not going well…every Tom dick and harry would have their cell phone out, taking video, yelling at the cop, calling 911…

A few years back I happened upon a horrific car accident and I came upon it before 1st responders as well as many others.  1st thing I did was call 911 and apparently so did everyone else.  I never once thought someone else surely called.  

I hope each and every one of those scum find themselves in a situation where they need help and people walk away…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Humans are scum in the main
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    again, this is a known human phenomenon; doesn't mean humans are scum, it's a psychological thing. I can't imagine I'd do nothing; I just can't. there is something to be said about the trauma the bystanders were experiencing as well; they may have been in such shock at what they were witnessing that it froze them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I wonder how people would’ve reacted had it been a child…
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    That is absolutely horrible. Unreal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Riders who shot photos, video of Philadelphia train rape but didn't help victim could be charged

Ooohh. They were getting their jollies instead of helping.  Fucking sick bastards..

Give Peas A Chance…