A conscious decision to play live songs closer to the studio versions?

2»

Comments

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Every new drummer has changed the pace of former songs. I wouldn’t call this the “pace decided by all band members”. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Remember when that one dude asked Matt Cameron on Pearl Jam radio to slow down the songs, and  he got scolded on here for his audacity?

Well, now 10 years later - I guess that dude won.

https://youtu.be/iuCbb-0Q-3w
    If you think MC dictates the tempos and EV just goes a long with it, then you’re nuts. This was a conscious decision by EV or someone in the band. I’ve said this since the night of the night of the show. 
    Someone in the band...like Matt Cameron?
    No way. MC doesn’t drive the band. MC could play any tempo and any time signature. He’s there to play however EV feels comfortable. Obviously this is my opinion but we all who’s in charge 
    Word.  Idk if it’s all Ed but it certainly isn’t all Matt’s call.  A lot of songs start without countoffs (that I can hear anyways).  Given to fly is a great example.  If Mike starts it at warp speed, it just sounds too awkward to drag the tempo back down when the drums come in.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Remember when that one dude asked Matt Cameron on Pearl Jam radio to slow down the songs, and  he got scolded on here for his audacity?

If you think MC dictates the tempos and EV just goes a long with it, then you’re nuts. This was a conscious decision by EV or someone in the band. I’ve said this since the night of the night of the show. 
    No way. MC doesn’t drive the band. MC could play any tempo and any time signature. He’s there to play however EV feels comfortable. Obviously this is my opinion but we all who’s in charge 
    I don't really have a horse in this race. I just thought you saying, "If you think MC dictates the tempos and EV just goes a long with it, then you’re nuts. This was a conscious decision by EV or someone in the band" was funny since MC is someone in the band. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,694
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I don't really have a horse in this race. I just thought you saying, "If you think MC dictates the tempos and EV just goes a long with it, then you’re nuts. This was a conscious decision by EV or someone in the band" was funny since MC is someone in the band. 
    Haha I understand. I hate typing on my phone so sometimes my thoughts are rushed. 
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    No way. MC is that stand-in drummer from Soundgarden. He's not a REAL PJ drummer.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • strilo said:
    No way. MC is that stand-in drummer from Soundgarden. He's not a REAL PJ drummer.
    I think at this point, he is the REAL PJ drummer. I mean, he's been in PJ longer than he's been in Soundgarden. And he's been in PJ longer than the previous drummer combined. I get what you're saying...I prefer Dave and Jack in PJ as well. But Matt's great too, and I don't think he's dictating the speed of the songs. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 559
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Word.  Idk if it’s all Ed but it certainly isn’t all Matt’s call.  A lot of songs start without countoffs (that I can hear anyways).  Given to fly is a great example.  If Mike starts it at warp speed, it just sounds too awkward to drag the tempo back down when the drums come in.
    Was thinking the same thing with Ed starting Corduroy.
    strilo said:
    What? 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    strilo said:
    23 years as an intern?  That’s brutal. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    strilo said:
    I was listening to the Anything In-Between the other day and had a re-realization that MC is a fucking boss and grooves with PJ. Check out his fills. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5G3IF6QXyI
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    strilo said:
    I read this with a healthy dose of sarcasm.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,203
    I’d say last night really reinforced this.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,624
    I definitely noticed it and thought most of the songs you mentioned sounded much much better when played closer to their album speed

I hope the groove is here to stay 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    Can’t wait to hear RvM at its normal under these new circumstances 
    Hobbes said:
    strilo said:
    I read this with a healthy dose of sarcasm.
    Hobbes gets it.  ;)
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    strilo said:
    I think at this point, he is the REAL PJ drummer. I mean, he's been in PJ longer than he's been in Soundgarden. And he's been in PJ longer than the previous drummer combined. I get what you're saying...I prefer Dave and Jack in PJ as well. But Matt's great too, and I don't think he's dictating the speed of the songs. 
    I mean Matt Cameron is my all time favorite drummer. I was being sarcastic and mocking that whole "true fan" mentality.

Personally, I've long felt that Matt Cameron is THE OG drummer for Pearl Jam, as he was part of the very early musical processes that created the band. If you're around for the Gossman Project, you're original. I consider Matt the first PJ drummer, the best PJ drummer and the most suited to ALL of the bands various styles and approaches. Consider me a Matt Cameron fanboy.
    This will be interesting to monitor during Encore weekend. Do we know if PJ has the same amount of stage time again or if they get a little more?
    I mean where are the setlists? I don't see them on the site.
    strilo said:
    I mean where are the setlists? I don't see them on the site.
    They are on the “Given to Fly” forum under the stickied “fanviews” thread. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    RiotZact said:
    Awesome to hear.  

I take back what I said about Even Flow. I DO care about it being played at normal speed. Sounded much better yesterday
    RiotZact said:
    Awesome to hear.  

I take back what I said about Even Flow. I DO care about it being played at normal speed. Sounded much better yesterday
    I didn’t actually compare, but I thought it was even slower than at SHN. 

Also, I’ve done some very minimal research, and it does look like there have been some 2 hour-ish festival spots with 1 encore break in recent history. They almost always end up with 24 or 25 songs. I know Eddie is doing some more bullshitting than usual, and they are playing some longer tags and jams at the end of some songs, but I think it’s worth noting that the speed of songs probably effects this in a fairly significant way. 

I’m not saying this is a bad thing, I’m just acknowledging the pros and cons. 
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    Awesome to hear.  

I didn’t actually compare, but I thought it was even slower than at SHN. 

Also, I’ve done some very minimal research, and it does look like there have been some 2 hour-ish festival spots with 1 encore break in recent history. They almost always end up with 24 or 25 songs. I know Eddie is doing some more bullshitting than usual, and they are playing some longer tags and jams at the end of some songs, but I think it’s worth noting that the speed of songs probably effects this in a fairly significant way. 

I’m not saying this is a bad thing, I’m just acknowledging the pros and cons. 
    I think someone did check into this, complete with maths and stuff, but it was years ago. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Didn’t get a chance to listen last night. Did anyone notice any differences in any of the songs that had their 2021 debut?
  • RiotZact said:
    Didn’t get a chance to listen last night. Did anyone notice any differences in any of the songs that had their 2021 debut?
    For just a second it sounded like Matt wasn’t going to do the tom fill thing he does going into the second chorus of Why Go, that turned out to be some rust I think 🙂

I forget if DtE had been played already but it was nice hearing it last night without all the “woah-oh-ohs” which had been taking the place of one of the “admire me…” bridges in recent years. The words to that song are so good, don’t skip any of them damnit.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    strilo said:
    I was listening to the Anything In-Between the other day and had a re-realization that MC is a fucking boss and grooves with PJ. Check out his fills. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5G3IF6QXyI

That and Let It Ride showed me they must pare back a lot of MC's flourishes as they polish up the songs.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,490
    RiotZact said:
    Felt like most were back to a faster pace. But didn’t matter - they sounded incredible 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    7’oclock sounds faster on the SHN boot than on the record.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Not as significant a slow down as some folks were saying. SHN sounded a bit rusty. Looking forward to the Ohana boots! 
    www.cluthelee.com