MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Astros got the early games again…..shocker. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Go Cards
  • Wobbie said:
    the best team (SF) ought to be playing the worst record (ATL), not potentially the second best team.
    Yeah they should re-seed following the play-in game. That's bullshit for the Giants to have to play the Dodgers. 

There's always this feeling (it's in the NFL too) that division champions are better teams than the wildcard, when time and time again the wildcard is the second-best of two great teams (as the Dodgers are to the Giants) while there are division champions that are just the least-crappy of all the crappy teams in a crappy division. Happens way more in the NFL, I can't count how many times over the years the #5 seed wildcard team had a way better year than the #4 seed worst-division-champion, and had to go on the road. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited October 2021
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/misc.shtml

Games were longer than ever this year. 3 hours and 11 minutes. Ridiculous. 

That's 21 minutes longer than games in 2008.

41 minutes longer than games in the year I was born, 1978.

Is there anyway to realistically speed this game back up again? 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Tampa SF WS is my guess.

Second guess is Yankees/Dodgers.  THAT would be highly rated but I'm rooting for 3 transplants in SF, Flores, Longoria and Bryant.

Hell I'd take a redo of 1996 w Yanks and Braves.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Tampa SF WS is my guess.

Second guess is Yankees/Dodgers.  THAT would be highly rated but I'm rooting for 3 transplants in SF, Flores, Longoria and Bryant.

Yanks aren't doing anything. 
  • https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/misc.shtml

That's strange considering the "reliever must pitch to three batters" rule seemed like it would fix this a bit. 

Here's Hank Aaron complaining that the games are too long.....ten years ago! Fun little interview in addition to that as well.

https://youtu.be/GfgQrXr51hc
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

Not any way that is going to pass/be real.  The pitching changes, the getting in and out of the box, more offense overall, it is just a long ass game.

My useless prediction is:
    Dodgers over Rays.

I was going to pick Doyers over Astros but that tool Passan picked that yesterday on the radio so I don't want to be like him.

Most exciting would be Doyers/Yanks, but I think the Rays will put down NY or BOS.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

That's strange considering the "reliever must pitch to three batters" rule seemed like it would fix this a bit. 

Here's Hank Aaron complaining that the games are too long.....ten years ago! Fun little interview in addition to that as well.

https://youtu.be/GfgQrXr51hc
    This also includes a bunch of mickey mouse 7 inning games too. 

God I miss Letterman...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Tampa SF WS is my guess.

Yanks aren't doing anything. 
    They are hot but seem to be Tampa's bitch.  I fully expect them to start rolling though.

I do have TB as my first choice.
  • https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/misc.shtml

Not any way that is going to pass/be real.  The pitching changes, the getting in and out of the box, more offense overall, it is just a long ass game.

Dodgers over Rays.

I was going to pick Doyers over Astros but that tool Passan picked that yesterday on the radio so I don't want to be like him.

Most exciting would be Doyers/Yanks, but I think the Rays will put down NY or BOS.

I was listening to him yesterday and he is becoming like Joe Buck to me... Insufferable.

I do like Olney and Kerkjian.  I really miss Gammons.  He was my favorite.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Dodgers over Rays.

I was listening to him yesterday and he is becoming like Joe Buck to me... Insufferable.

I do like Olney and Kerkjian.  I really miss Gammons.  He was my favorite.
    Gammons is great. Kerkjian cracking up is glorious.

I'm hoping that the Astros can make a run and win this thing, but it'll be tough for sure. 

My predictions:
    ALCS: TB/HOU
    NLCS: SF/ATL
    WS: Giants over Astros in 7
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    ALCS: Sox/Sox
    NLCS: Mil/STL
    WS: Sox over STL
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Saw Gammons interviewing folks on MLB at the Hall of Fame.  Doesn't look great.

I think Passan is funny. He doesn't take his job too seriously and I dig it, but he's a really good reporter when it matters.  It's just sports.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If they do one more thing to try to shorten this game for impatient "fans," they should just call it something else: batty ball for the MTV/social media generation or something.

Baseball is pure because it is not timed. Stop watching the clock, and watch the damn game!

I try to tell myself this at the park, but it's hard to pretend that the countdown clock doesn't exist when it pops up at Fenway. It makes me want to leave the game.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited October 2021
    The other thing that made it pure was the space for human error. There's even a scoring line for it.

Get rid of replay reviews. Let umps fuck up.

Problem solved.

Shorter time.

And the purity of baseball is saved!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My issue with Passan is that he is an owner's mouthpiece.  Any items involving players vs owners is something I disregard from him.

Also, I don't particularly like his schtick.   
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I agree with getting rid of replay.

Perhaps shorten the time between innings.  I know that you lose precious commercial-time... but there are a lot of ways to re-work that in-broadcast (and honestly, probably more likely to be picked up by viewers' eyes and ears)

I wouldn't hate doing away with the extra inning rule and declaring ties after 12 innings.  That really isn't all that unprecedented.

I'm not into changing anything structurally with the sport/game though.  
  • MayDay10 said:
    I agree with getting rid of replay.

Perhaps shorten the time between innings.  I know that you lose precious commercial-time... but there are a lot of ways to re-work that in-broadcast (and honestly, probably more likely to be picked up by viewers' eyes and ears)

I wouldn't hate doing away with the extra inning rule and declaring ties after 12 innings.  That really isn't all that unprecedented.

I'm not into changing anything structurally with the sport/game though.  
    They actually already do that sometimes. "This call to the bullpen is brought to you by W.B. Mason. Who else but W.B. Mason." 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Is the National league going to DH’s next year?
    If so, I don’t like it, I like the two distinct rules for the different leagues. Get rid of inter league play while they are at it lol

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • erebus said:
    Is the National league going to DH’s next year?
    If so, I don’t like it, I like the two distinct rules for the different leagues. Get rid of inter league play while they are at it lol

I never liked the DH because it contradicts the very first line in the baseball rule book: 

The DH makes it two teams of 10 players each.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Someone on ESPN doesn’t know the difference between a single and a home run. 

Fucking amateurs. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I laughed at that, as well.
    The funny thing was that Stanton thought it was gone, as well

That wall is dumb 
    edited October 2021
    Eric chant right into The Homer there was pretty cool 
    That wall is dumb 
    Your mama’s dumb!

And THAT’S what a homer looks like!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Not good, not good 
    Eovaldi sounds like Monica Seles

Eovaldi sounds like Monica Seles

A sweetheart.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Suck Stanton’s dick a little more, ESPN. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM