What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Malignant
    Watching it tomorrow (or Candyman). Was it good or bad?
    Well, my wife and laughed our asses off at the climax, so take that for what it’s worth.
    I'm used to women laughing their ass off at the climax. So I'll be prepared. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2021
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Malignant
    Well, my wife and I laughed our asses off at the climax, so take that for what it’s worth.
    I'm used to women laughing their ass off at the climax. So I'll be prepared. 
    :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Malignant
    Well, my wife and I laughed our asses off at the climax, so take that for what it’s worth.
    pretty much
    edited September 2021
    MayDay10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Malignant
    pretty much
    The next morning I told my kids that we stayed up and watched Harry Potter without them. :lol:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Crimes of Grindlewald last night. Tonight, some show about LuLu pants? 
    www.cluthelee.com

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    "55 Steps" with Helena Bonham Carter and Hillary Swank.  Carter several years trying to get this movie made and finally did so.  She had stated that this is her best work and she also said, "the irony is that I think three people will see it."*  It is an amazing work.  Emotional, inspiring, devastating, and true.  Please be the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th... person to see it.  It's just so amazingly good.

55 Steps 2017 - IMDb

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    "55 Steps" with Helena Bonham Carter and Hillary Swank.  Carter several years trying to get this movie made and finally did so.  She had stated that this is her best work and she also said, "the irony is that I think three people will see it."*  It is an amazing work.  Emotional, inspiring, devastating, and true.  Please be the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th... person to see it.  It's just so amazingly good.

55 Steps 2017 - IMDb

awesome. sign me up bri!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Malignant
    pretty much
    The next morning I told my kids that we stayed up and watched Harry Potter without them. :lol:
    Poor kids!
    brianlux said:

55 Steps 2017 - IMDb

awesome. sign me up bri!

Awesome!
    I think the last time a movie hit me in the way this one did was 500 years ago when I first saw "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".  And actually, I saw the play (twice) when it was put on by ACT in San Francisco in 1971 or '72 and it was even better than the movie.
    "55 Steps" is one of those films that stayed with me for a good while, even now when I think about it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• DUNE tomorrow.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,014
    City of Lies

on my west coast Ohana flight that was delayed over 4hrs on the runway 😡

thought it was good

then cause it was a long ass plane trip

dumb & dumber
    goodfellas

Nomadland with Francis McDormand.   Interesting story but for me, depressing to the extreme.  I have no desire to go down that road again.  Ever.

• brianlux said:
    Nomadland with Francis McDormand.   Interesting story but for me, depressing to the extreme.  I have no desire to go down that road again.  Ever.
    Thanks @brianlux I'll try and remember not to watch it!

• Any good compared to the original? 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2021

Any good compared to the original? 
    Watched half of Lynch "original" when I got home, and it's very much the same plot. So I guess both follow the book's beats relatively closely.

If you enjoyed Denis Villeneuve Blade Runner-sequel I'd imagine you like this too. A banal/simple story dressed in visuals, music and a monotone pace to trick you into thinking it's something important or intricate you are watching. As with Blade Runner 2049, I did not fall for the trick.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    The original was boring as all hell.
    Hoping for better out of this one.
    This weekend we rock Portland

• West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2021

Any good compared to the original? 
    Watched half of Lynch "original" when I got home, and it's very much the same plot. So I guess both follow the book's beats relatively closely.

If you enjoyed Denis Villeneuve Blade Runner-sequel I'd imagine you like this too. A banal/simple story dressed in visuals, music and a monotone pace to trick you into thinking it's something important or intricate you are watching. As with Blade Runner 2049, I did not fall for the trick.
    Thanks @Spiritual_Chaos
    I have the original on DVD but I haven't seen it yet. Perhaps I'll watch both. Yes, we also prefer Blade Runner the original too and although I did like the remake, I just think they seem to like putting Ryan Gosling in everything these days!
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Poncier said:
    Agreed! I couldn’t get through the original, even being stoned. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Poncier said:
    Lynch takes a Smithee on it when it airs.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Poncier said:
    That's the longer TV cut which he wasn't involved with though, right?

His name is still on the obvious cut-and-pasted theatrical cut.
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Poncier said:

Seems like you know the answer to that better than I do. 

But, yes, anytime I’ve seen it air on television, it’s “Directed by Alan Smithee.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Poncier said:

Seems like you know the answer to that better than I do. 
    "A television version was aired in 1988 in two parts totaling 186 minutes; it replaced Madsen's opening monologue with a much longer description of the setting that used concept art stills. Lynch disavowed this version and had his name removed from the credits, Alan Smithee being credited instead. This version (without recap and second credit roll) has occasionally been released on DVD as Dune: Extended Edition."

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Liked it

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

This weekend we rock Portland
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Liked it

This is great movie..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..