NEVER AGAIN?

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Matts3221 said:
    I have to give them credit for Telluride 2016

That was a very special and not talked about enough show and anyone there will attest to that

Perfect venue and the acoustic set to open was unique and different 
    I wasn't there and only heard part of it on Sirius 22 a couple years ago. Now, I haven't bought a bootleg from a show I've not attended, but if I ever did, this would be the one. What I heard of it was absolutely fantastic! And I thought the same thing then: why isn't everyone talking about this show? In that regard, it reminded me of how nobody talks about Champaign 03 either. 

Unrelated: Fast forward to next Saturday and we're flying out to spend a few days in Telluride/Ouray.
    Check out my Deep show review of Champaign 2003! One of the top three of that entire US tour! Also, Telluride 16’ all day long! So fucking good! 

Just downloaded that Champaign show off Nugs so I can listen later on. Yes to Telluride the bootleg is fantastic and the set list is like no other on that tour.
    Oh man, ENJOY!! That show is pure fire! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I really gotta up my boot game. I know nothing of this Telluride show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Watched it on Periscope. Fantastic set. Angel came out of nowhere. 
    PJNB said:
    oh, that was the show with Angel. downloading now.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJNB said:
    Fenway 2 16 had it was well. Both boots are worth a listen. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    chitty said:

I am going to Ohana fest and was kind of keeping that to be my First show back if that makes sense. So I went to this concert last weekend semi lethargic for reasons everyone has been pointing out on this thread.First song I hear when I walk in the venue from 54-40, a fairly big but older Canadian band, kicks in and I almost cried. 42 year old grown man. Then the other bands came on, and the surprise headliner starts setting up. I thought I could tell who it was, but couldn't actually think it was possible due to covid restrictions and such to have a massive band show up and play this show with 1200 people. Anyways, sure enough my guess was right and out walks Brandon Flowers and the Killers. Imploding the Mirage, if you haven't listened, is phenomenal album and with Gigaton was the two albums I associate with March and April 2020. So if you asked me before that night who I'd want to see first back, it would have been the Killers or PJ. Killers blew my mind for an hour playing non stop straight hits. It was euphoric and out of this world.

Hey, that's awesome! I've been listening to the Killers a lot lately and bought tickets to see them next year (TBH, having Johnny Fuckin' Marr open for them sealed the deal). I'm hoping going to Ohana next weekend rekindles my enthusiasm.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    chitty said:

I am going to Ohana fest and was kind of keeping that to be my First show back if that makes sense. So I went to this concert last weekend semi lethargic for reasons everyone has been pointing out on this thread.First song I hear when I walk in the venue from 54-40, a fairly big but older Canadian band, kicks in and I almost cried. 42 year old grown man. Then the other bands came on, and the surprise headliner starts setting up. I thought I could tell who it was, but couldn't actually think it was possible due to covid restrictions and such to have a massive band show up and play this show with 1200 people. Anyways, sure enough my guess was right and out walks Brandon Flowers and the Killers. Imploding the Mirage, if you haven't listened, is phenomenal album and with Gigaton was the two albums I associate with March and April 2020. So if you asked me before that night who I'd want to see first back, it would have been the Killers or PJ. Killers blew my mind for an hour playing non stop straight hits. It was euphoric and out of this world.

Point being, when you get over the lethargic and apprehensive feelings incurred over the last 18 months, maybe some anxiety and fear also of covid, and your favourite band comes on stage to play your favourite songs, those feelings will be gone. Trust me!
    My first show post-Covid was the second Arkells show at Budweiser Stage, and when the pre-show countdown video began I burst into tears. I was weeping. I ended up using my mask to cover my entire face until the lights went down. And that was for Arkells! I love them, but prior to that show the only band that'd ever made me cry was the Who. I didn't even cry at the final Hip show. Arkells!

Anyway, when Pearl Jam walks on stage the next time I see them, I'll be a goner. If they open with "Corduroy," watch out.

Earlier, someone mentioned absence making the heart grow fonder. I saw PJ six times in 2013, and after the last show I made the conscious decision to take a break for a bit. I needed to miss my favourite band. "A bit" turned out to be 2-1/2 years, which by normal person standards isn't that long - but it was enough to give me a reset, and the next three times I saw them were magical. I don't feel the same urge to follow tours as I once did, but I don't love the band any less - just differently.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    never listened to the killers as far as I know. maybe I'll give em a shot (I haven't listened to them as I kind of prejudged them given the people I know who listen to them). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Angel one show, Strangest Tribe at the other. Absolutely epic. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    NWOntario said:
    chitty said:

Point being, when you get over the lethargic and apprehensive feelings incurred over the last 18 months, maybe some anxiety and fear also of covid, and your favourite band comes on stage to play your favourite songs, those feelings will be gone. Trust me!
    My first show post-Covid was the second Arkells show at Budweiser Stage, and when the pre-show countdown video began I burst into tears. I was weeping. I ended up using my mask to cover my entire face until the lights went down. And that was for Arkells! I love them, but prior to that show the only band that'd ever made me cry was the Who. I didn't even cry at the final Hip show. Arkells!

Anyway, when Pearl Jam walks on stage the next time I see them, I'll be a goner. If they open with "Corduroy," watch out.

Earlier, someone mentioned absence making the heart grow fonder. I saw PJ six times in 2013, and after the last show I made the conscious decision to take a break for a bit. I needed to miss my favourite band. "A bit" turned out to be 2-1/2 years, which by normal person standards isn't that long - but it was enough to give me a reset, and the next three times I saw them were magical. I don't feel the same urge to follow tours as I once did, but I don't love the band any less - just differently.
    I'm generally the same way, at most I can see a few shows every 2-3 years.  If I see more than that, I start complaining (more) about the more repetitive parts of the setlists.   Corduroy is my barometer, when I'm excited to see Corduroy I know it's time to go see a show.

Luckily for me, being where I live, this generally works out.  Between the Vancouver and Seattle area there's a show (or shows) to see every 2 or 3 years, which really hits my sweet spot.  I think I'm pretty lucky to live in this corner of the word with Vancouver and Seattle both being in a 3 to 5 hour travel distance from here.
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Agreed. Last 6 MA shows I have been to they played Fatal,Otherside,Strangest Tribe,Angel,Out of My Mind, then they blue balled us with Dirty Frank lol. 
    Zod said:
    NWOntario said:
    chitty said:

I'm generally the same way, at most I can see a few shows every 2-3 years.  If I see more than that, I start complaining (more) about the more repetitive parts of the setlists.   Corduroy is my barometer, when I'm excited to see Corduroy I know it's time to go see a show.

Luckily for me, being where I live, this generally works out.  Between the Vancouver and Seattle area there's a show (or shows) to see every 2 or 3 years, which really hits my sweet spot.  I think I'm pretty lucky to live in this corner of the word with Vancouver and Seattle both being in a 3 to 5 hour travel distance from here.
    very lucky. living in the prairie wasteland that is winnipeg, I envy those in concert hot spots. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Zod said:
    NWOntario said:
    chitty said:

very lucky. living in the prairie wasteland that is winnipeg, I envy those in concert hot spots. 
    I lived in Edmonton for 5 years.  PJ played Edmonton about 10 months before I moved there, and 3 months after I moved back to Victoria.  I've never gotten to see PJ play in the city I live in.    Luckily the did play Calgary in '09 which was the only time I saw an Alberta/Prairies show.   I also drive back home after the show, so it's the only time out of all the shows I've seen, that I slept in my own bed after a PJ show :)
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    NWOntario said:
    chitty said:

I lived in Edmonton for 5 years.  PJ played Edmonton about 10 months before I moved there, and 3 months after I moved back to Victoria.  I've never gotten to see PJ play in the city I live in.    Luckily the did play Calgary in '09 which was the only time I saw an Alberta/Prairies show.   I also drive back home after the show, so it's the only time out of all the shows I've seen, that I slept in my own bed after a PJ show :)
    if I lived in or near Seattle, vancouver, or toronto, I'd be living in a refrigerator box I'd be so broke from all the shows. the nearest concert venue from here is a 6-8 hour drive. luckily most bands come here on tour, just not PJ (and a lot of mid level bands I'd like to see). 3 shows in 30 years in manitoba. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Yeah... unf'ing real. 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    edited September 2021
    never listened to the killers as far as I know. maybe I'll give em a shot (I haven't listened to them as I kind of prejudged them given the people I know who listen to them). 

go in listening with an open ear. Try the 2020 album I mentioned above. I love every song on it and maybe more so then the singles. That being said to me Caution is one of their best singles ever...
    Post edited by chitty on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    That entire 2016 tour was pure awesome. Only 10s tour cycle that I re-listen to regularly. Every show. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Agreed. Last 6 MA shows I have been to they played Fatal,Otherside,Strangest Tribe,Angel,Out of My Mind, then they blue balled us with Dirty Frank lol. 
    Go back one more show and you can add Undone to that list. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    PJNB said:
    My wife had to pump after the Wrigley 18 show. Was even worse due to the delay. I still remember waiting outside one of the bathrooms after the show while she was in there and the guard came around and told me I had to leave. I explained that my wife was in the bathroom pumping breast milk and he gave the ole eyebrows raised too much info look, spun right around and walked away lol. 

Hopefully she will NEVER AGAIN have to go through that lol. 
    We bottle fed both our boys.  Took the easy road. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
    edited September 2021
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    2010 was a sick show! Wish that was my first one but Worcester 13 was great as well as far as first shows go. 
  • PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    2010 was a sick show! Wish that was my first one but Worcester 13 was great as well as far as first shows go. 
    I skipped Worcester 1 being a Tuesday night, and settled for Worcester 2... big mistake. 
    edited September 2021
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    I skipped Worcester 1 being a Tuesday night, and settled for Worcester 2... big mistake. 
    Worcester Night 2 was ok but many deem it at the bottom or close to it for 2013. Never a bad show out there in my opinion though. Eddie was pretty sick from what I remember but still pushed through it. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    edited September 2021
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Worcester Night 2 was ok but many deem it at the bottom or close to it for 2013. Never a bad show out there in my opinion though. Eddie was pretty sick from what I remember but still pushed through it. 
    Yeah, as I understand it he was 'sick' from the night before.  :D

I'm with you, I've never been to a bad PJ show, but, of the 4 I saw in 2013, that was definitely my least favorite. 
    Night 2 is the reason Worcester can be included with Mountain View and Krakow. 

You know what? I get excited just talking about these shows. I'm gonna be stoked the next time I get to go to one. 

• JimmyV said:
    You know what? I get excited just talking about these shows. I'm gonna be stoked the next time I get to go to one. 
    Same.
  • chitty said:

Hey, that's awesome! I've been listening to the Killers a lot lately and bought tickets to see them next year (TBH, having Johnny Fuckin' Marr open for them sealed the deal). I'm hoping going to Ohana next weekend rekindles my enthusiasm.

I stopped listening to The Killers around the time of Sam's Town for no real good reason. I just stopped. Heard Caution on the radio when it was released as the first single for Imploding the Mirage and have been making up for lost time. I can't believe I stopped. I've come to realize I love that band and will likely see them when they come to Portland next summer. 

My return to live music was a month ago seeing Brandi Carlile (and Soundgarden!) at the Gorge. It was emotional for sure. I found myself grooving to Sheryl Crowe more than I ever would have imagined. 

Anyway, I will be buying tickets to the first PJ show in my neck of the woods and I won't think twice about it. I'm even just looking forward to following the setlist threads for the upcoming shows. I can't wait to hear what these new songs sound like live.
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    chitty said:

I stopped listening to The Killers around the time of Sam's Town for no real good reason. I just stopped. Heard Caution on the radio when it was released as the first single for Imploding the Mirage and have been making up for lost time. I can't believe I stopped. I've come to realize I love that band and will likely see them when they come to Portland next summer. 

In fairness, their guitarist and bass player have been in and out of the band for the last few albums. The sound now is much more mellow than Mr. Brightside.

I hit repeat several times on Sleepwalker today on Sirius XM. They have another new album out.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    PJNB said:
    My wife had to pump after the Wrigley 18 show. Was even worse due to the delay. I still remember waiting outside one of the bathrooms after the show while she was in there and the guard came around and told me I had to leave. I explained that my wife was in the bathroom pumping breast milk and he gave the ole eyebrows raised too much info look, spun right around and walked away lol. 

Funny story,  electric pump in university bathroom. Trust me, nobody assumes I'm in there with the buzzing sound taking care of the boobies.

Let's just say after that PJ show I took a long, hot bath and fondled my breasts for quite some time 😉 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    tish said:
    PJNB said:

Funny story,  electric pump in university bathroom. Trust me, nobody assumes I'm in there with the buzzing sound taking care of the boobies.

Let's just say after that PJ show I took a long, hot bath and fondled my breasts for quite some time 😉 
    @OffSheGoes35 Know what I’m thinking…?
    I SAW PEARL JAM