Options

Mastodon

2»

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,066
    lars wrote:
    I don´t need a nickname to state my opinions. Yes, I´m probably older than you...you sound like a crying baby. And yes the old metal is better than the new....and that´s a fact....fuckhead!

You can love all the old metal you want and hate all the new metal you want. You can even remain under the delusion that it's some sort of "fact" and not just a matter of preference.

My only point is that there is nothing more tired than someone who feels the need to tell others that they're wrong for enjoying a band.
  • Options
    larslars Posts: 524
    pjl44 wrote:
    My only point is that there is nothing more tired than someone who feels the need to tell others that they're wrong for enjoying a band.
    ....but you are wrong.
    Seek & Destroy
    For Whom The Bells Toll
    Fade To Black
    One
    Enter Sandman
    Sad But True
    Unforgiven
    Nothing Else Matters
    Master Of Puppets
    Welcome Home/Sanitarium
    Battery

Now let´s hear it for them classic Mastodon songs....

Do you still believe mastodon is a better group than metallica? If so, alot of people have been mistaken.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Options
    Blood and Thunder
    I am Ahab
    Iron Tusk
    The Mortal Soil
    Colony of Birchmen
    Circle Sysquatch
    Seabeast
    Naked Burn..
    Just to name a few

MOP from Metallica is golden ...RTL and Kill em all Are good too...but that is about it.

Listen to the instruments on ANY of Mastodon songs...seems like you fail to do that.
  • Options
    lars wrote:
    ....but you are wrong.
    Seek & Destroy
    For Whom The Bells Toll
    Fade To Black
    One
    Enter Sandman
    Sad But True
    Unforgiven
    Nothing Else Matters
    Master Of Puppets
    Welcome Home/Sanitarium
    Battery

Now let´s hear it for them classic Mastodon songs....

Do you still believe mastodon is a better group than metallica? If so, alot of people have been mistaken.

I never said Mastodon was better than Metallica. I actually really like both bands. As a matter of fact, if they were playing around me on the same night, I would choose to go see Metallica.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    The show was cancelled because they are attending the Grammys. I shit you not. I was supposed to go, too.

Their live show is pretty fantastic...old stuff blends really well with the new and the "pummeling" description hits the nail on the head. While I feel good about all of their stuff, Blood and Thunder live is amazing.

Good call on Blood and Thunder. That was probably my favorite song of the night. They played that right before their encore break. They could have ended it there and i would have been satisfied. Hearts Alive and March of the Fire Ants were pretty amazing as well.
    I know we've been to Ohio and I know we've never been to Toledo, and i know i've never smiled while wearing a speedo.
    ~E.V.
  • Options
    Good call on Blood and Thunder. That was probably my favorite song of the night. They played that right before their encore break. They could have ended it there and i would have been satisfied. Hearts Alive and March of the Fire Ants were pretty amazing as well.

Great tunes...so what did you think of the show overall? And did you get a chance to catch Converge?
  • Options
    I saw Mastodon in December in Greece!They played with Tool...but Mastodon's sound sucked!I didn't understand when each song started and ended!Sound engineers didn't work it out well, and the concert hall did not help at all!
    If I would, would you?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So they have a new song on the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Soundtrack and some of the lyrics are pretty funny. I have not heard the song yet but i bet it is hilarious

If I see you videotaping this movie
    Satan will rain down your throat with hot acid
    And saw your testicles
    And turn your guts into snakes

This is a copyrighted movie for Time-Warner
    If I found you sold it on eBay
    I will break into your house and tear your wife in half
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    mastodon has my attention. that drummer is crazy
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    lars wrote:
    All these new metal bands (mastodon, trivium, killswith engage, etc) would never have gotten record deals 10-20 years ago. Man, do they suck! No, lets get sacred reich back and show these boys how its supposed to be done.

How can you class mastodon in the same league as Trivium?? Stop listening to what you should be told to listen to - there are some really good metal bands out there, you just have to do a little bit of digging for them.

For once I actually agree with Binaural with something - Mastodon are definitely a band to look out for. I saw them last year, but the sound did nothing for them and I'm definitely willing to give them another chance.

Metallica are a standard band.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Jennytree wrote:
    How can you class mastodon in the same league as Trivium?? Stop listening to what you should be told to listen to - there are some really good metal bands out there, you just have to do a little bit of digging for them.

For once I actually agree with Binaural with something - Mastodon are definitely a band to look out for. I saw them last year, but the sound did nothing for them and I'm definitely willing to give them another chance.

Metallica are a standard band.
    :eek: We agree?!:p
    I agree, their sound at TOOL was very poor. Luckily though I gave them another chance and caught them in a club of around 300 people. Fucking Mindblowing.
    The drummer also spent an hour tapping ciggarrettes off of people in Botanic Park which I thought was hilarious. He didn't have any sterling :p:D
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Have tickets for Friday night's show in Pittsburgh. Has anyone seen them on this tour? Just wondering how their live show is? Haven't been to a good metal show in a couple of years.

oohhhh yeah, i saw them with Slayer, and they played stuff from all of their albums...they are such a good metal band, one of the best out today in my opinion. Enjoy the show!! Mastodon rocks!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Mastodon is "the balls". Just started listening to them. Matodon>Metallica!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,338
    https://youtu.be/LiXTJvnWA_4
    New song is amazing!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    https://youtu.be/LiXTJvnWA_4
    New song is amazing!
    New album coming out?
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    They were working on a new album and are releasing an album with a few unreleased tracks, some B sides and some tracks that were only in movies and video games. This one is off the B sides album that comes out next month. 

If you like their more mellow stuff I would check out Echolocation by Gone is Gone. Troy fronts that side project with one of the guitarists from Queens of the Stone Age and the drummer from At the drive in. Some sounds very similar to Mastodon's Cold Dark Place EP and I would be willing to be Troy wrote it at the same time as Mastodon was working on that EP. Most is a mellower but much more droning version of Mastodon. Most (including me) missed these guys when they released their full length album back in 2017. I found it a while ago and the whole album is fantastic, provided you like Mastodon's more mellower sound. There is a few other singles they have done including one that came out last month that are ok. But that full album is really, really good. 
    https://youtu.be/_pC463rfaNA
    https://youtu.be/paTEeIgxMsM

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Tix still available?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    Looking forward to hearing some new music from these guys.... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    edited September 2021
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby