Options

Mastodon

absolutcillyabsolutcilly Posts: 74
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Have tickets for Friday night's show in Pittsburgh. Has anyone seen them on this tour? Just wondering how their live show is? Haven't been to a good metal show in a couple of years.
I know we've been to Ohio and I know we've never been to Toledo, and i know i've never smiled while wearing a speedo.
~E.V.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Have tickets for Friday night's show in Pittsburgh. Has anyone seen them on this tour? Just wondering how their live show is? Haven't been to a good metal show in a couple of years.

I'm going to fuckin Pittsburgh tomorrow night to visit a friend and I forgot all about Mastodon being there. It's probably too late to get tickets now. Son of a bitch.
  • Options
    I was supposed to go this Sunday in providence and it was the ONLY show of the tour cancelled..no idea why. Bastids..
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    you're in for a good show. they played for about an hour and a half when i saw them, but it was a pummeling hour and a half. i hadn't been to a metal show in quite some time, but i was really glad i went. i guess it was a good mix of all their stuff. i don't really know, i've only heard Blood Mountain.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i saw them open for Clutch in Lancaser, PA a few years ago.. they were touring on Remission. very very good band. i liked Leviathan the best though. i'd go see them again in Lancaster but i won't drive to Philly to see 'em. (lancaster is about 25-30 minutes away, Philly is about hour and a half).. if that means anything to you.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    toddiet123 wrote:
    I was supposed to go this Sunday in providence and it was the ONLY show of the tour cancelled..no idea why. Bastids..

The show was cancelled because they are attending the Grammys. I shit you not. I was supposed to go, too.

Their live show is pretty fantastic...old stuff blends really well with the new and the "pummeling" description hits the nail on the head. While I feel good about all of their stuff, Blood and Thunder live is amazing.
  • Options
    larslars Posts: 524
    All these new metal bands (mastodon, trivium, killswith engage, etc) would never have gotten record deals 10-20 years ago. Man, do they suck! No, lets get sacred reich back and show these boys how its supposed to be done.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    lars wrote:
    All these new metal bands (mastodon, trivium, killswith engage, etc) would never have gotten record deals 10-20 years ago. Man, do they suck! No, lets get sacred reich back and show these boys how its supposed to be done.

You've lost all credibility in the space of one sentence. There are always certain 'metal fans' that shit on anything new and namedrop older bands in an effort to seem both knowledgable and in possesion of good taste however your inability to distinguish between Matstadon and the other two bands shows this kind of attitude. Mastadon are a sharp technical outfit and there will inevitably be those who ignore them based on an illogical stereotype, I feel sorry for those people, they're missing out on some great music.
    What capacity shows are they playing in the states?
    I'm seeing them ina club that'll just about hold 300 people :D So I'm looking foward to it.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    Binaural wrote:
    You've lost all credibility in the space of one sentence. There are always certain 'metal fans' that shit on anything new and namedrop older bands in an effort to seem both knowledgable and in possesion of good taste however your inability to distinguish between Matstadon and the other two bands shows this kind of attitude. Mastadon are a sharp technical outfit and there will inevitably be those who ignore them based on an illogical stereotype, I feel sorry for those people, they're missing out on some great music.
    What capacity shows are they playing in the states?
    I'm seeing them ina club that'll just about hold 300 people :D So I'm looking foward to it.
    Mastodon suck
  • Options
    Great, I've started a pissing contest with a twelve year old.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    Honestly..I'd never heard of this band until I saw posts about them on the boards. Then one of their songs came on the radio the other day and I figured I would give it a listen. I found it really really awful.

But then again, I think 99percent of music on alternative radio sucks now anyway..thank god for the good ol days and cd players in the car and at home.

Just my opinion though...

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Ok first of all lars and all the others who don't like them sorry you don't get it but these guys don't suck. They have quite a bit of talent. Maybe you don't dig them and what not but they are one of the best metal bands making new music today. A lot of the other stuff out there like lamb of god etc i don't care for much but these guys jam pretty hard

i've seen them a few times already and i've always had fun at their shows.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Ok first of all lars and all the others who don't like them sorry you don't get it but these guys don't suck. They have quite a bit of talent. Maybe you don't dig them and what not but they are one of the best metal bands making new music today. A lot of the other stuff out there like lamb of god etc i don't care for much but these guys jam pretty hard

i've seen them a few times already and i've always had fun at their shows.
    sure they probably are one of the best metalbands out there...that just tells you what a terrible state the metal scene is in. They do suck
  • Options
    Judging by your name 'lars' you might like lars ulrich? I might be wrong, but if your name is referring to ulrich, then you have no right to talk about metal....that cocksucker is far away from metal..all he does is bitch and moan about money..on that matter metallica has sucked for a very LONG time..

Back to the topic...Mastodon are an amazing group, but a lot of people dont like them because 1) They aren't PJ 2) They aren't AIC. 3) They aren't Soundgarden.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    lars wrote:
    sure they probably are one of the best metalbands out there...that just tells you what a terrible state the metal scene is in. They do suck

It's time to cut the mullet, dude. Nobody cares about what bands you don't like. Summarily dismissing new music doesn't make you smarter than anyone else. Just old.
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Judging by your name 'lars' you might like lars ulrich? I might be wrong, but if your name is referring to ulrich, then you have no right to talk about metal....that cocksucker is far away from metal..all he does is bitch and moan about money..on that matter metallica has sucked for a very LONG time..

Back to the topic...Mastodon are an amazing group, but a lot of people dont like them because 1) They aren't PJ 2) They aren't AIC. 3) They aren't Soundgarden.
    My name is lars. So you think mastodon are better than metallica? Need I say more?
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    It's time to cut the mullet, dude. Nobody cares about what bands you don't like. Summarily dismissing new music doesn't make you smarter than anyone else. Just old.
    I don´t need a nickname to state my opinions. Yes, I´m probably older than you...you sound like a crying baby. And yes the old metal is better than the new....and that´s a fact....fuckhead!
  • Options
    Yes, they are better than metallica...black album and after they have been a horrible fucking band..
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Yes, they are better than metallica...black album and after they have been a horrible fucking band..
    Go see a doctor
  • Options
    Turn off VH1 Classic, cut the mullet..maybe that will help.
    Why do you think Newsted left? Because he was seeing that they were going down a road of suck..so he left... Brann Dailor > Lars Ulrich x10
    and if you have ever seen metallica live, you should already know that Hammet fucks up riffs all the time..and that new bassist well sucks

comparing raw talent Mastodon > Metallica
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Turn off VH1 Classic, cut the mullet..maybe that will help.
    Why do you think Newsted left? Because he was seeing that they were going down a road of suck..so he left... Brann Dailor > Lars Ulrich x10
    and if you have ever seen metallica live, you should already know that Hammet fucks up riffs all the time..and that new bassist well sucks

comparing raw talent Mastodon > Metallica
    Wow, Rob Trujillo does not suck, have you heard any previous stuff? The man is a generously talented bassist, and an enteraining one as well. His work with Suicidal Tendencies also shows the range of material he is capable of working with.
    lars wrote:
    So you think mastodon are better than metallica? Need I say more?

Metallica's studio 'efforts' suck dick after the Black Album with the exception of Garage Inc. and to say otherwise is, well, just plain ignorant. Also, Lars Ulrich is a poor drummer, just listen to ...And Justice For All, and before you argue, Lars and James have PUBLICLY STATED ON FILM that the drumming on that recordwas poor, (What where we thinking?"). I'm not bothered which band you PREFER however, at this moment in time, Mastadon are a technicaly superior band, they don't go for catchy riffs or hooks, instead they create dense and intricate pieces of music for the better trained ear. Though Metallica have dramaticaly honed their live performance (their playing on the 06 tour being the best in YEARS) they do not superceed Mastodon.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    Mastodon are awesome and yeah i'd agree that they are the best new (not nu) metal band out there right now but to say they are better than metallica is ridiculous...i know you're comparing them to the newer metallica stuff but i mean yeah remission, leviathan, and blood mountain are great albums but do you really think they're as good as Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice For All? i love mastodon but come on
  • Options
    What mastodon album is better than kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, ....and justice for all, the black album and even st. anger?
  • Options
    JSP552003 wrote:
    Mastodon are awesome and yeah i'd agree that they are the best new (not nu) metal band out there right now but to say they are better than metallica is ridiculous...i know you're comparing them to the newer metallica stuff but i mean yeah remission, leviathan, and blood mountain are great albums but do you really think they're as good as Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice For All? i love mastodon but come on
    I never said who made the best albums, I said who I believed were the better band.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    lars wrote:
    What mastodon album is better than......st. anger?
    Youre kidding me right?
    Every Mastodon album is better than St Anger whose lyrical content was pathetic, drumming was soo bad I'm actually wondering if Lars has EVER really known when to use a snare drum and whose bass was written by the fucking producer for Bon Jovi. Now would you like to tell me what makes St Anger better than ANY Mastodon effort?

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    FRANT-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TOC!!! God, that is an amazing lyric!
  • Options
    I like all three mastodon albums better then kill em all and ride the lightening.

I'm still debating with myself if i like leviathan better then master of puppets. I admit right now i still like master better. That being said Leviathan and blood mountain are better then ever metallica album made with the exception of Master of Puppets.

It truely is a matter of taste. Obviously Lars yours is different then mine. I'd be interested to know besides metallica what other metal bands you do enjoy?

Is it a vocal thing you don't like about mastodon? I could understand that they are a bit more abrassive then some of the other mainstream bands.

As mentioned by others i don't see how it could be their instrumental work. I feel pretty confidant anyone with two ears can hear the guys have talent (particularly brann on drums)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    The singer can´t sing. The melodic structures suck and even though they can play their instruments the mastodon sound is very monotome. Of newer metal I like System of a downs "toxicity".
  • Options
    lars wrote:
    The singer can´t sing. The melodic structures suck and even though they can play their instruments the mastodon sound is very monotome. Of newer metal I like System of a downs "toxicity".
    And why is St Anger better than any of the Mastodon albums again?

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    lars wrote:

I guess i just hear things differently.

The guys who sing do not sing, but lots of metal bands don't really sing so i don't hold that against them, but like i said i could easily see how that could be a major deterent. To be honest for the longest time i hated bands like that for that very reason, but i've kind of come around to it. Can't blame you if you don't like them for that.

As for the melodic structures i do tend to disagree. They use a lot of different time signitures and the structues can get complex (complex for rock music at least) so maybe that detracts from some of the overall melody, but i think they have tons of song that remain complex yet still flow well. Megalodon comes to mind immediatly. Some of the songs off the new album like Sleeping Giant, This Mortal Soil, and Colony of Birchman all have great melody i think.

Again maybe it is just difference in ears.

It is hard to say but maybe it is just not your kind of metal. You mention Metallica and System of a Down two bands i do enjoy.

I think mastodon is closer to At the Gates, High On Fire, and other bands that are more off the radar (but still not extreme).

Mastodon is not mainstream metal music and I don't think they ever will be.

I could be off base but i think it is like comparing Iron Maiden metal to Amon Amarth. They are both metal, but very different. It seems like the kind of metal mastodon makes is just not yoru cup of tea.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Intodeep> fair enough