MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    It’s been tough taking a glance at baseball cards after 25 yrs out.  A lot of limited colors, jersey swatches, autos, etc.  Everything gets graded now too.  I’m looking at a few just as souvenirs.  

It’s a limited edition world just like vinyl.  
    You can get cheap souvenirs in cards very easily.  BTW whomever was the Thome fan on here please DM me.  Bat cards, jersey cards can all be had rather cheaply.  The prettier and colorful the card is and whom the player is all commands price.

You can get a bat card of Babe ruth for $100 or you can pay $5000.

For just cards you can go with the flagship[ brand Topps.  They have a series 1 & 2.  Both can be bought right now at target, the whole set for like $50.  Every player from this year is in there.  Great bang for your buck.

Let me know what you are looking for and I can steer you in the right direction.
    Awesome thanks Chris.  Im actually looking at the series 1 and 2 right now. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    It’s been tough taking a glance at baseball cards after 25 yrs out.  A lot of limited colors, jersey swatches, autos, etc.  Everything gets graded now too.  I’m looking at a few just as souvenirs.  

Cards are difficult.  Especially modern ones.  

Basically, I found that autos are appealing and if you get lucky, the autos with also a relic in there are the grails, but unless you get super lucky, those are going to be big $$$ for top players.  Basically too if they are numbered, then they have the most value, naturally, based on the print run whether it is /250 or /5 or /1.

The colors don't float my boat.  

If you are looking at nice relic/auto cards on the cheap.  Might not hold a lot of value because they are unlicensed, but beautiful cards if they are for your personal collection... go for the Panini Immaculate.  Search for them on ebay and you will see some nice stuff that is affordable.

If you want the Topps/licensed answer to that, go with Tier One, Museum, or Triple Threads.  Pricier due to the license, but great autos/relics, and they have a great deal of retired players included.

You can go online and find 'Breakers', whether in facebook groups or sponsored by card shops.  You basically buy a share of a box or case of cards... they are typically structured by random team drawing, same price, or you can pick the team and teams are priced based on what kind of upside is included in the product.  Its a fun way to kill time and the best way to get a really big "hit" without paying an arm and a leg, or buying a lot of expensive product of your own.  I have found it is better if I take that $ and just buy something directly though.  I do still participate in some of those.  Also do one that is for primarily autographed memorabilia/Hit Parade stuff.

If your looking for just readily available and affordable cards to fill in nostalgia to rip open.  Check out the Heritage line from Topps.  

Bowman (by Topps) is all prospects and prospecting.  Huge hits in there, but those would mostly be long term holds.

IMO, the best place to be is the Vintage cards, pre-1980.  Those have value and are guaranteed to hold and increase value.  You aren't going to get away with anything there, everyone knows the values and lots of people watching.  But Im slowly building my vintage collection based on cards I like, "commons" of 50s cards with very high Grades, and Greats with low to mid PSA Grades (or raw ones) that are affordable.   I joined a 1959 re-pack break and ended up hitting on a few nice ones, a Duke Snider. a Koufax, and a Hank Aaron autographed Western Union message.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    MayDay10 said:

Cards are difficult.  Especially modern ones.  

Basically, I found that autos are appealing and if you get lucky, the autos with also a relic in there are the grails, but unless you get super lucky, those are going to be big $$$ for top players.  Basically too if they are numbered, then they have the most value, naturally, based on the print run whether it is /250 or /5 or /1.

The colors don't float my boat.  

If you are looking at nice relic/auto cards on the cheap.  Might not hold a lot of value because they are unlicensed, but beautiful cards if they are for your personal collection... go for the Panini Immaculate.  Search for them on ebay and you will see some nice stuff that is affordable.

If you want the Topps/licensed answer to that, go with Tier One, Museum, or Triple Threads.  Pricier due to the license, but great autos/relics, and they have a great deal of retired players included.

You can go online and find 'Breakers', whether in facebook groups or sponsored by card shops.  You basically buy a share of a box or case of cards... they are typically structured by random team drawing, same price, or you can pick the team and teams are priced based on what kind of upside is included in the product.  Its a fun way to kill time and the best way to get a really big "hit" without paying an arm and a leg, or buying a lot of expensive product of your own.  I have found it is better if I take that $ and just buy something directly though.  I do still participate in some of those.  Also do one that is for primarily autographed memorabilia/Hit Parade stuff.

If your looking for just readily available and affordable cards to fill in nostalgia to rip open.  Check out the Heritage line from Topps.  

Bowman (by Topps) is all prospects and prospecting.  Huge hits in there, but those would mostly be long term holds.

IMO, the best place to be is the Vintage cards, pre-1980.  Those have value and are guaranteed to hold and increase value.  You aren't going to get away with anything there, everyone knows the values and lots of people watching.  But Im slowly building my vintage collection based on cards I like, "commons" of 50s cards with very high Grades, and Greats with low to mid PSA Grades (or raw ones) that are affordable.   I joined a 1959 re-pack break and ended up hitting on a few nice ones, a Duke Snider. a Koufax, and a Hank Aaron autographed Western Union message.

Slowly build that collection!

Last week I went to the East Coast National. This was my haul. 

If anyone wants to trade cards for pj stuff I’m your man!
    So Baez/Mets.  Not a great look.  What a disaster
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    MayDay10 said:
    So Baez/Mets.  Not a great look.  What a disaster
    Yeah, it's pretty bad.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    At least Lindor only has like 10 years and $300 mil + left on his contract

What dummies...

At least Lindor only has like 10 years and $300 mil + left on his contract

What dummies...

I see visions of Bobby Bo all over again... I hope I am wrong though.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Lindor showed his thin skin already....and add in the prick that is Javy Beaz.  Yeah, this is so NY Mets it is hilarious.
    Baez and his idiotic quotes. This shows what this dude is all about.  
    I was stuck in traffic in/around NYC yesterday for 2-3 hours.  Listened to some really funny sports radio, ripping these asswipes.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I was a huge Lindor fan... but last season he definitely showed some signs of dirt below the smiling veneer.  He was pretty bad and made some comments along the line that he wasnt really ready to play or into it, which shows character flaws.  For the past 4 years, he made it pretty clear he was angling to max out on this contract.  Good for him I guess.  I wanted him on the Indians long-term, but he makes like half their payroll budget at this point.

I think he is too athletic and too good defensively to become anything like a Bobby Bo.  He should come around, but I wonder if he gets back to the 30+ HR and .850 OPS and top-10 MVP Candidate status of a few years ago.  The one that the Mets bought for a decade.

It was a really bad Met-like idea to pair him up with his clown best-bud Baez.

MayDay10 said:
    I was a huge Lindor fan... but last season he definitely showed some signs of dirt below the smiling veneer.  He was pretty bad and made some comments along the line that he wasnt really ready to play or into it, which shows character flaws.  For the past 4 years, he made it pretty clear he was angling to max out on this contract.  Good for him I guess.  I wanted him on the Indians long-term, but he makes like half their payroll budget at this point.

I think he is too athletic and too good defensively to become anything like a Bobby Bo.  He should come around, but I wonder if he gets back to the 30+ HR and .850 OPS and top-10 MVP Candidate status of a few years ago.  The one that the Mets bought for a decade.

I hope he can get back to how he was.  Like you said, he is too athletic and gifted.  If he can't though then he does in my mind become Bobby Bonillia and not Mike Piazza.

If you think about it Piazza is still the greatest Met player they've had for years now.  Wright was hurt too much in my opinion.  Degrom has only been around a short time and can't seem to stay healthy either.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    MayDay10 said:

I hope he can get back to how he was.  Like you said, he is too athletic and gifted.  If he can't though then he does in my mind become Bobby Bonillia and not Mike Piazza.

If you think about it Piazza is still the greatest Met player they've had for years now.  Wright was hurt too much in my opinion.  Degrom has only been around a short time and can't seem to stay healthy either.

well, piazza had the juice :no_mouth:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited September 2021
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:

well, piazza had the juice :no_mouth:
    BBHOF 2016 w 83%.  I still have hope for Bonds, Clemens, Arod and yes even Palmiero.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Palmiero would be a hard get. He was never the player those other guys were and a full decade of pretty likely PED use, along with the infamous finger point denial…wouldn’t get my vote along with so many other borderline guys from that era. 

I always thought Edmonds deserved more consideration, despite his low career totals. When he was on the field he was a HoF talent and there’s nobody with a defensive highlight reel as good as his. Wonder what is voting numbers look like with 2000 hits and 400hr.

• DewieCox said:
    Palmiero would be a hard get. He was never the player those other guys were and a full decade of pretty likely PED use, along with the infamous finger point denial…wouldn’t get my vote along with so many other borderline guys from that era. 

I always thought Edmonds deserved more consideration, despite his low career totals. When he was on the field he was a HoF talent and there’s nobody with a defensive highlight reel as good as his. Wonder what is voting numbers look like with 2000 hits and 400hr.

Edmonds was the guy I hated seeing leave the Halos.  Dude was Centerfield!  Think about the Angels CF from Lynn to Petis, Edmonds, Hunter and now Trout.  That is some fine fielding.

Back to Palmiero.  I know he cheated and I am ok with that.  I get it.  If most of the league wasn't doing it then I may have a harder time about it.

If you have the numbers then you should get in.  These HOF writers w their ballots to me is kind of weird still but when the players vote you get guys like Santo and Simmons.  Good players but not HOF worthy.

I still think that McGwire, Sosa, Palmiero, Bonds, Clemens, Arod, Papi should be in.  Am I forgetting anyone?  Maybe Petite since Moose was let in?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Edmonds was a dude who loved to dive for balls that he did not need to dive for, so that he could also make highlight reels.
    Knew a dude casually who was his neighbor for a while in SoCal. 
    Didn't sound like someone you wanted living next door to you.
    As a Cardinal I hated him.  Liked him fine as a Halo.
    Good player.
  • Edmonds was a dude who loved to dive for balls that he did not need to dive for, so that he could also make highlight reels.
    Knew a dude casually who was his neighbor for a while in SoCal. 
    Didn't sound like someone you wanted living next door to you.
    As a Cardinal I hated him.  Liked him fine as a Halo.
    Good player.
    He's made some of the best over the shoulder catches I had ever seen.
    Lots of Angels talk.  Garrett Anderson was damn good for a while.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited September 2021
    I missed the baseball card convo.  I, for one, am kinda excited for it.  I tend to agree on the speculation that Fanatics will either buy or sub-license to Topps & Panini.  Those companies already have the infrastructure and manufacturing, something Fanatics doesn't but needs.  Topps is damn near broke. And how cool would it be to finally have Topps, Bowman, & Donruss (with logos) baseball cards again?!
    Lots of Angels talk.  Garrett Anderson was damn good for a while.  

We called him The Undercover Brother - inspired by his cool as a cucumber attitude and a stupid movie with that title which came out around that time.  Dude was ice.
    GA was probably my favorite Angel - went to so many games during the handful of years prior to their WS year, and that year as well.  Worked nearby and a contact had tickets.
    Also loved Sand Frog.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Ohhhhh the Mets are Metsin' it up! The only thing that keeps me from the misery of my team is enjoying the misery that is the Mess, I mean Mets.
    I missed the baseball card convo.  I, for one, am kinda excited for it.  I tend to agree on the speculation that Fanatics will either buy or sub-license to Topps & Panini.  Those companies already have the infrastructure and manufacturing, something Fanatics doesn't but needs.  Topps is damn near broke. And how cool would it be to finally have Topps, Bowman, & Donruss (with logos) baseball cards again?!
    It surprised me to see that Donruss, Score, Upper Deck, etc dont have a license anymore.  I bought so many Score packs in 92 trying to get a signed Mickey Mantle
    Pro Set chasing the Lombardi Trophy hologram card
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited September 2021
    It surprised me to see that Donruss, Score, Upper Deck, etc dont have a license anymore.  I bought so many Score packs in 92 trying to get a signed Mickey Mantle
    Upped Deck was always the top tier for me. If I had extra cash to buy packs, it was UD. Couldn't usually beat 2 packs of Topps for $1 though, or Donruss. Those frickin' yellow Fleer cards were....interesting. Didn't buy many Bowman. It was mostly Topps, Donruss and UD. I still have the complete set for the Topps 40th anniversary edition. I believe that was '91. Spent a lot of money on cards hoping to some day possess the equivalent of a Mickey Mantle rookie card, but card values took a dive. Hopefully there's a revival by the time I'm ready to retire.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    For reference

edited September 2021
    My favorite card set for nostalgia.  Perfect design.  Retro logos.  Team colors, and really good photos

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:
    My favorite card set for nostalgia.  Perfect design.  Retro logos.  Team colors, and really good photos

I did like the late 80's Fleer cards.
    MayDay10 said:
    For reference

Ironically, that same year they also produced one of my favorite inserts, the Pro-Vision series. The Mark McGuire card is still one of my favorites. Especially because he wasn't yet a juiced out cartoon character of a player. I loved young McGuire.

• Lots of Angels talk.  Garrett Anderson was damn good for a while.  
    Loved Garret Anderson too but we were talking Center Fielders.  One of my favorite Angels of all time is Darin Erstad.