MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    MayDay10 said:
    The general speculation in the hobby is that Fanatics will just acquire topps and basically continue that brand as their own (but I'm sure change a lot).  
    This is a huge topic for collectors like myself.  I hated what Panini did with basketball.  

So you give a license for trading cards to a company that has never done it before?  Brilliant...

Come 2026 I might not buy a pack of cards again.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Yeah, it is definitely an unsettling thing.  

The 'hope' I guess would be that Fanatics acquires Topps/Bowman and Panini as well as the other licenses for NBA/NFL (sounds like it is happening).  Then roll with those 'Brands' along with all their history, heritage, and imagery, but also apply a fresh take on it.  We would also get NFL Chrome and Panini Prism Baseball  Also perhaps more and exciting autographed apparel/merch market with more quality.  

Mudrick cancelled their Topps merger thing today, and they certainly wont go public now.  It shouldn't be difficult for Fanatics to acquire it.

Or it could be them just winging it with their exclusivity as a shield and completely fucking it all up.
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, it is definitely an unsettling thing.  

The 'hope' I guess would be that Fanatics acquires Topps/Bowman and Panini as well as the other licenses for NBA/NFL (sounds like it is happening).  Then roll with those 'Brands' along with all their history, heritage, and imagery, but also apply a fresh take on it.  We would also get NFL Chrome and Panini Prism Baseball  Also perhaps more and exciting autographed apparel/merch market with more quality.  

Mudrick cancelled their Topps merger thing today, and they certainly wont go public now.  It shouldn't be difficult for Fanatics to acquire it.

Or it could be them just winging it with their exclusivity as a shield and completely fucking it all up.
    Fanatics is in checkmate territory right now.  They tried to buy Topps but they weren't selling.  With the loss of the upcoming licensing Topps had to shut down their public announcing and now their NFT money maker they were getting ready to launch.  This puts their evaluation at a much discounted price and prime picking for Fanatics.

I just hope they don't screw up the brands like Panini did...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’ve been snagging the occasional pack over the past 6months or so and I can’t really brag about how Topps does things. Reminds me of all the things that I really hated as I was sorta aging out of collecting back in 90s boom, with all the inserts and subsets and golden rainbow refractor variants. 
    Yeah, it is pretty overwhelming with all that.  You just kind of have to find your jam and go with that.  I personally like the Stadium Club and last year I really liked the Topps Base (this year's is not attractive IMO).  Ended up with a lot of chrome last year too.  I also dig their Heritage products, although, they aren't considered great in terms of big 'hits'.  
    I also like their buyback autographed sets for the Archives-Retired players as well as Clearly Authentic.

Also, I dig participating in some breaks for some of their high end stuff like Tier-One, Diamond Icons, or Triple Threads, although I found that I can get a lot of the specific cards I dig from that fairly affordably on ebay or the various facebook groups.

I do dislike that within a product you have so many different variants though.  10 different colors, short prints, refractors, etc...   It would be nice to get that simplified and streamlined a bit.
     Some Of my hits and some older ones. The trout was pulled out of Museum. Big card. 
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, it is pretty overwhelming with all that.  You just kind of have to find your jam and go with that.  I personally like the Stadium Club and last year I really liked the Topps Base (this year's is not attractive IMO).  Ended up with a lot of chrome last year too.  I also dig their Heritage products, although, they aren't considered great in terms of big 'hits'.  
    I also like their buyback autographed sets for the Archives-Retired players as well as Clearly Authentic.

Also, I dig participating in some breaks for some of their high end stuff like Tier-One, Diamond Icons, or Triple Threads, although I found that I can get a lot of the specific cards I dig from that fairly affordably on ebay or the various facebook groups.

I do dislike that within a product you have so many different variants though.  10 different colors, short prints, refractors, etc...   It would be nice to get that simplified and streamlined a bit.
    Topps isn't as bad as Panini.  They have so many different colors and nothing is numbered.
    edited August 2021
    Here is my biggest card that I have gotten.  Stinks it is a sticker auto,  I dont think its a huge card, but I like it.  I have a few bowman speculative ones that are currently worth more I think

I started to slowly gather Vintage cards too
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    I see someone dangline one of those other 4 Trouts on ebay
    MayDay10 said:
    I see someone dangline one of those other 4 Trouts on ebay
    The 1 of 1 sold and the guy with 3/5 put his up immediately after.  I spoke to him on a message board on FB.
    MayDay10 said:
    Here is my biggest card that I have gotten.  Stinks it is a sticker auto,  I dont think its a huge card, but I like it.  I have a few bowman speculative ones that are currently worth more I think

I started to slowly gather Vintage cards too
    If I stumble across some Thome cards I’ll send them your way.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited August 2021
    Phillies/Padres was terrific.   Went from perfect game potential to no hit potential for Nola.   Those vanished and then we had a bottom of the 9th 2 out Padres home run. Then a wild ending in the 10th.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Anybody going to watch the KidsCast?

Can’t be worse than the usual squad.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Anybody going to watch the KidsCast?

Can’t be worse than the usual squad.
    That was the Nickelodeon thing?
    Ryan Mountcastle finally feeling himself...  ROY?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited August 2021
    I'm biased but India has been better this year and a meaningful player for a team pushing for playoffs.  

Tyler Stephenson is better than them both but he is stuck platooning with Tucker B given his stellar defense/work with pitchers, so Tyler's numbers look weak until you do it based on # of ABs.

I think Trevor Rodgers or Adolis Garcia win ROY, though 
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I'm biased but India has been better this year and a meaningful player for a team pushing for playoffs.  

Tyler Stephenson is better than them both but he is stuck platooning with Tucker B given his stellar defense/work with pitchers, so Tyler's numbers look weak until you do it based on # of ABs.

I think Trevor Rodgers or Adolis Garcia win ROY, though 
    No real breakout in Mountcastle?  Dude has 23hrs.

India's numbers are better.  Tyler Stephenson shouldn't even be mentioned if you aren't playing every day.  The numbers can't support that.

Rogers has no shot.  Missed time too.

American League Arozarena woke up it seems.  I followed him the first month or two and he stunk it up.  Give the ROY to him and India.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    23 HRs is certainly impressive for the rook.

I think Rogers has a shot, think he is back soon.
    Dude has thrown 110 innings of 2.45 ERA ball. 
    If he pitchers throughout Sept and puts up another 30 innings, keeps his ERA under 3?
    Damn impressive, especially for that dogmeat team.  :lol:   

Stephenson is really good but yeah, he is blocked by a 2x gold glover in front of him to make him split time.  Otherwise I think he would have it locked down, he can really hit.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    This should be great. A 30 for 30 on the 1986 Mets. I was shocked they didn't do one in 2016 for the 30th anniversary......

https://youtu.be/dD5wkpJ7Kbg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    This should be great. A 30 for 30 on the 1986 Mets. I was shocked they didn't do one in 2016 for the 30th anniversary......

This was a crazy time in NY.  This was the team that was supposed to win MULTIPLE championships but they partied too much.

There was fan man, storming the field after winning the pennant, the "Lets go Mets go" video they did(during this era if your team made a song they won, lol) to when they won and Orosco flinging his mitt so high in the air.

Crazy time, oh and it wasn't all Buckners fault.  Boston was collapsing just fine without him.

This was a crazy time in NY.  This was the team that was supposed to win MULTIPLE championships but they partied too much.

There was fan man, storming the field after winning the pennant, the "Lets go Mets go" video they did(during this era if your team made a song they won, lol) to when they won and Orosco flinging his mitt so high in the air.

Crazy time, oh and it wasn't all Buckners fault.  Boston was collapsing just fine without him.
    Buckner got such a bad rap. The Mets were the better team. And the Red Sox bullpen blew it in both games 6 and 7 (people forget, the Sox led 3-0 in game 7). If anything was fluke in that series, it was the Sox taking games 1 and 2 on the road. The Mets couldn't hit in game 1, and Gooden got rocked in game 2. Otherwise, the Mets were better every step of the way. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Yeah sign me up for that for sure
    chinese-happy.jpg

Buckner got such a bad rap. The Mets were the better team. And the Red Sox bullpen blew it in both games 6 and 7 (people forget, the Sox led 3-0 in game 7). If anything was fluke in that series, it was the Sox taking games 1 and 2 on the road. The Mets couldn't hit in game 1, and Gooden got rocked in game 2. Otherwise, the Mets were better every step of the way. 
    Everyone forgets one other thing.  If (RIP) Donnie Moore doesn't hang that pitch Halos are in and they beat the Mets.  That I do believe but that part of the story gets left out.  me being an Angels fan I remember watching that series like a hawk.

Everyone forgets one other thing.  If (RIP) Donnie Moore doesn't hang that pitch Halos are in and they beat the Mets.  That I do believe but that part of the story gets left out.  me being an Angels fan I remember watching that series like a hawk.

Hold on now...that was game 5 of the ALCS. So yeah, while the Angles could've won right it there, they also could've won either game 6 or 7 instead of getting trampled in both games like they did. And if they got trampled in those games, and blew game 5 (wasn't just Moore's fault, the Sox scored four runs in the 9th to tie it), how can believe they could've beat those Mets? I think the Mets would've beat the Angels in 5 or 6 games. 

Underrated series though, that Sox/Angels series. And actually, so was Mets/Astros. Probably one of the best baseball postseasons ever. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Will they talk about crazy/young Kevin Mitchell?
    Recall there was a story about him decapitating a cat 
    So many fucked up stories about the 80s Mets and their craziness.

Hold on now...that was game 5 of the ALCS. So yeah, while the Angles could've won right it there, they also could've won either game 6 or 7 instead of getting trampled in both games like they did. And if they got trampled in those games, and blew game 5 (wasn't just Moore's fault, the Sox scored four runs in the 9th to tie it), how can believe they could've beat those Mets? I think the Mets would've beat the Angels in 5 or 6 games. 

Underrated series though, that Sox/Angels series. And actually, so was Mets/Astros. Probably one of the best baseball postseasons ever. 
    That HR demoralized the Halos.  Plain and simple.  That was the reason Donnie took his life.  That haunted him.  I forgave him the second after it happened, because hey, it happens.  They couldn't rally the troops again though but yes, the momentum they had, they could have beat the mets.

Witt, McCaskill, Langston, Rhule, Sutton, Forsch, Candelaria, Finley.  The pitching staff was stacked!  Moore was one if not the best closer at the time.

Grich Decinces, Joyner, Boone, Reggie, a very young Devon White and Brian Pullem only Downing.

It was a great crew much like the Mets.  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    It’s been tough taking a glance at baseball cards after 25 yrs out.  A lot of limited colors, jersey swatches, autos, etc.  Everything gets graded now too.  I’m looking at a few just as souvenirs.  

It’s a limited edition world just like vinyl.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    :lol;
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    It’s been tough taking a glance at baseball cards after 25 yrs out.  A lot of limited colors, jersey swatches, autos, etc.  Everything gets graded now too.  I’m looking at a few just as souvenirs.  

It’s a limited edition world just like vinyl.  
    You can get cheap souvenirs in cards very easily.  BTW whomever was the Thome fan on here please DM me.  Bat cards, jersey cards can all be had rather cheaply.  The prettier and colorful the card is and whom the player is all commands price.

You can get a bat card of Babe ruth for $100 or you can pay $5000.

For just cards you can go with the flagship[ brand Topps.  They have a series 1 & 2.  Both can be bought right now at target, the whole set for like $50.  Every player from this year is in there.  Great bang for your buck.

Let me know what you are looking for and I can steer you in the right direction.