Options

Flags, Flags and More Flags

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
When is it ok?

North American fans leave their flags at home unless we’re seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd or The Charlie Daniels Band (and banners for Sammy Hagar). It’s kind of neat watching European/South American video and seeing your amazing national pride displayed with so many flags. Last years Reading festival video seemed to be a sea of flag waving and no complaints in Fanviews. London seems a bit different, why?

Side note: The London Fanview thread is fantastic! Best ever, dreams come true!! Thank you for your amazing reviews everyone. Extra big thank you to non-posters ;) Rock on, edwho

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brain_of_Kbrain_of_K Posts: 43
    I don't think it was the flags themselves, they could have been polka dot pillow cases - it was the disregard for other people's view/enjoyment.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    brain_of_K wrote:
    I don't think it was the flags themselves, they could have been polka dot pillow cases - it was the disregard for other people's view/enjoyment.
    absolutely... to be honest the flags didn't bother me whatsoever because I didn't have any in my face. It was the queue skipping that pissed me off big time. and the dirty looks I got when I tried to rest my hand against the barrier in the gap between two people.

Didn't ruin the concert a bit... but it's amazing to think the concert could have been even BETTER had people just considered those around them :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    edwho wrote:
    When is it ok?

North American fans leave their flags at home unless we’re seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Are they still going? Saw them originally in 1974??? at Portsmouth Guildhall before the tragedy.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    absolutely... to be honest the flags didn't bother me whatsoever because I didn't have any in my face. It was the queue skipping that pissed me off big time. and the dirty looks I got when I tried to rest my hand against the barrier in the gap between two people.

Didn't ruin the concert a bit... but it's amazing to think the concert could have been even BETTER had people just considered those around them :eek:

exactly!!!

you´re so right... second row was pretty bad the other night...people who I considered to be friends were crushing my hands as I was simply trying to hold the barrier so I don´t get squashed against them... Great set and great concert, but I did leave with a bit of a negative feeling...
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,222
    Didn't have a problem with flags... but if it were the same people that went from 2 in the queue to 50 I can figure out that they cared shit about other people while in the crowd too!

Fuck the flags... I don't see the point in them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    nuffingman wrote:
    Are they still going? Saw them originally in 1974??? at Portsmouth Guildhall before the tragedy.

They're still going. Wow, you saw them in 1974, now that’s cool. Is that the tour they opened for the Rolling Stones? Ronnie Van Zant was one of the best, IMO. He never wore shoes on stage, gotta love those southern boys. Did you bring Old Glory or a Confederate flag to concerts?
    Didn't have a problem with flags... but if it were the same people that went from 2 in the queue to 50 I can figure out that they cared shit about other people while in the crowd too!

That would never work over here. If attempted in North America they had better been packin’ and ready to box. Really, one extra, maybe two, but you also need to tell your fellow queue mates what to expect. We'll see what happens in Copenhagen because that’s the only show of my 4 I will arrive early and attempt a close spot.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    If people have a shot of the flag congregation at Munich, can they please link it here? I absolutely loved that photo op.

Australia represent!
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    einatshaul wrote:
    exactly!!!

you´re so right... second row was pretty bad the other night...people who I considered to be friends were crushing my hands as I was simply trying to hold the barrier so I don´t get squashed against them... Great set and great concert, but I did leave with a bit of a negative feeling...
    I'm sorry to hear that :o . I only had my hand there at the beginning cos my feet had gone completely dead and I wasn't entirely sure of myself, like if I was going to pass out or not, I had a weird feeling so I just needed something to lean on and rather the barrier than their backs.

I brought my flag to Verona and I will have it at Copenhagen, but it was tied around my shoulders. Once or twice I lifted it just in front of my face when the camera came around (in anticipation of that bloody dvd) but that was it... I don't want people leaving a show going 'fucking Irish'. I expect things of the people in front of me and so I behave the same way to the people behind.

spiritual_chaos... I'm guessing it was the same group :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you