Cleveland Indians to drop "Indians" from team name after 105 years

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    brianlux said:
    This thread is starting to look like a swing and a miss.  :lol:

in a 3-0 pitch...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

in a 3-0 pitch...

:rofl:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

in a 3-0 pitch...

:rofl:
    And that’s why you never swing at a 3-0 pitch. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Full circle…
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    This weird thread!
    Johnson steps up to the plate.  The count the 3 and 0.  Bumgarner looks in, takes the sign.  Here's the pitch.  He let's fly... this one's going WAAAAY long... Hopkin's reaches up and MAKES THE FINGER-TIP CATCH!   He's down to the fifteen, the ten, the FIVE... TOUCH DOWN!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Baseball is Americas past time

USA USA USA
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

USA USA USA

America's past time?  Not like it used to be.   (American style) Football is much bigger in the U.S.  these days than baseball.  A recent Gallup survey found that 37% of Americans named football as their favorite sport, but only 9% said baseball is their favorite sport. 
    It kind of makes sense, unfortunately.  America is a warring nation that finds greater thrill in violence and hard hitting action than it does with less combative sports (or other matters) that involve a higher degree of intelligent thinking .  Football is a warring sport that relies heavily on brute strength and produces a higher risk factor for injury (concussion, anyone?).   Baseball is a more pastoral and relies more on finesse, strategy, and fine motor skills, and though highly competitive, is far less combative.
    And as we all know, George Carlin explained the differences best.

Yeah, I know, I'm probably going to get sacked for saying some of these things.  Ooof!

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

America's past time?  Not like it used to be.   (American style) Football is much bigger in the U.S.  these days than baseball.  A recent Gallup survey found that 37% of Americans named football as their favorite sport, but only 9% said baseball is their favorite sport. 
    It kind of makes sense, unfortunately.  America is a warring nation that finds greater thrill in violence and hard hitting action than it does with less combative sports (or other matters) that involve a higher degree of intelligent thinking .  Football is a warring sport that relies heavily on brute strength and produces a higher risk factor for injury (concussion, anyone?).   Baseball is a more pastoral and relies more on finesse, strategy, and fine motor skills, and though highly competitive, is far less combative.

Yeah, I know, I'm probably going to get sacked for saying some of these things.  Ooof!

he's a baiter. some say a master
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

I agree football is king.  Just as hockey is king in Canada, not curling...lol.

That's an excellent take on violence.  I'd have to say all those wars has normalized violence in North America...and you hear about it on a daily basis...

The USA chant was a joke.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

That's an excellent take on violence.  I'd have to say all those wars has normalized violence in North America...and you hear about it on a daily basis...

Ah, so your taking the time to make that ridiculous thread after posting this is a joke too? Figures 🤡
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

Maybe. But the biggest factor in America's favorite sport shifting from baseball to football is television. Once just about every American and a TV, football was ready to take over. Football is pretty much made for TV and is the only team sport I'd argue is better on TV than in person. All that might not really take away from your point, though. On the radio, the violence of football wasn't in the listener's face. Once TV hit, baseball's pace vs. football's "action" (which includes the violence) was brought into America's living rooms.

I'd say our sports-viewing interest is somewhat rooted in our love of violence.  Look at how popular MMA is. On the other hand, when Tiger Woods was at his peak, golf was probably the second-favorite sport. And right now, it's probably the NBA.  Those sports tend to fluctuate based on the star power of the time. But football's always #1. Even if the players are treated poorly (like we care about them!). Even if someone takes a knee. Even if humans probably should not be playing it.

There are a combination of factors, including the ease of watching a once-a-week event as opposed to at least 6 games a week, the perceived higher level of action, the uncertainty of baseball game lengths, and, yes, the violence.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

Ah, so your taking the time to make that ridiculous thread after posting this is a joke too? Figures 🤡
    What's your fucking problem...you are free to ignore...even put me on ignore...PLEASE.  You are so annoying with your self-righteous attitude...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

If you want be a moderator or thread police then apply to be one...otherwise maybe follow the mods advice and ignore posts YOU do not like.

It is real simple...use the SCROLL feature on a computing device...heheheheheheheheheh
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

Maybe. But the biggest factor in America's favorite sport shifting from baseball to football is television. Once just about every American and a TV, football was ready to take over. Football is pretty much made for TV and is the only team sport I'd argue is better on TV than in person. All that might not really take away from your point, though. On the radio, the violence of football wasn't in the listener's face. Once TV hit, baseball's pace vs. football's "action" (which includes the violence) was brought into America's living rooms.

I'd say our sports-viewing interest is somewhat rooted in our love of violence.  Look at how popular MMA is. On the other hand, when Tiger Woods was at his peak, golf was probably the second-favorite sport. And right now, it's probably the NBA.  Those sports tend to fluctuate based on the star power of the time. But football's always #1. Even if the players are treated poorly (like we care about them!). Even if someone takes a knee. Even if humans probably should not be playing it.

There are a combination of factors, including the ease of watching a once-a-week event as opposed to at least 6 games a week, the perceived higher level of action, the uncertainty of baseball game lengths, and, yes, the violence.
    I agree with what you're saying... and not that you're dissing football in any way here I want to add that beyond the violence and action...  football is to me a game of unique strategy that is unmatched compared to baseball, hockey, and basketball (granted I don't know a lot about basketball.) But when you have 23 fellows on the field at one time each with a unique task during a play... it makes things quite interesting even without the violence. 

Before anyone adds.. I agree this thread has shifted to a different dimension lol. And yes to each their own... I just really really love football. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Granted I don’t watch a lot of baseball anymore, but the game seems more focused on home runs or nothing. Too many shifts and reliance on analytics.

I miss bunts, getting the ball in play, steals and pitchers that pitched near or complete games

now get off my lawn, lol
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

If you want be a moderator or thread police then apply to be one...otherwise maybe follow the mods advice and ignore posts YOU do not like.

It is real simple...use the SCROLL feature on a computing device...heheheheheheheheheh
    You put something out there, expect it to be commented on…or ridiculed, as the case may be.

But if you must, give me all your descriptors and angry commentary; your opinion of me holds no value on my life.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

You put something out there, expect it to be commented on…or ridiculed, as the case may be.

But if you must, give me all your descriptors and angry commentary; your opinion of me holds no value on my life.  
    we don't often agree, but ^^^^^
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

USA USA USA

Yup

If you want to talk shit, don't complain when people talk shit back to you.