JAZZ

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    at this point its cd only or flac but I do recommend this one....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited July 2021
    Loujoe said:
    dankind said:
    When it comes to jazz, I dig all the more progressive acts that Blue Note, etc. are cashing in on lately, but, to me, nothing, and I mean goddamn nothing, beats Dixieland. 

It’s a trip, it’s got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it. 
    Preservation Jazz Hall Band. For sure! Happy feel good stuff that will continue forever.

I've never been a big fan of Dixieland but several years ago my father invite me to go with him to see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  I was really surprised how much I enjoyed seeing those guys play!  And the venue added to the whole affair- they played under a tent with saw dust on the ground.  That was a good time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    When it comes to jazz, I dig all the more progressive acts that Blue Note, etc. are cashing in on lately, but, to me, nothing, and I mean goddamn nothing, beats Dixieland. 

my entry was really Brubeck. That laid backish loungy feel.Took me a minute to come to Miles(50s and 60s) and other artists of that era style/mindset....

havent delved too much in big band but have a couple compilations....

these are more brass oriented.

tried Wes Montgomery, not sure I follow yet...
    I don't like orchestra jazz.  Just can't get into it.  Even my MOFI Porgy and Bess gets little play. 

I respect the hell out of good big band jazz outfits- Ellington, Basie- for sure.  But like you, it's just not my thing, with one major exception- Sun Ra and company.   But that's a whole other thing! 
    I’ve been enjoying this since it arrived. Some folks on discogs have complained about the paper sleeves and finger prints on the new wax but I had none of those issues. Really good pressing

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

my entry was really Brubeck. That laid backish loungy feel.Took me a minute to come to Miles(50s and 60s) and other artists of that era style/mindset....

I don't like orchestra jazz.  Just can't get into it.  Even my MOFI Porgy and Bess gets little play. 

I respect the hell out of good big band jazz outfits- Ellington, Basie- for sure.  But like you, it's just not my thing, with one major exception- Sun Ra and company.   But that's a whole other thing! 
    I’ve been enjoying this since it arrived. Some folks on discogs have complained about the paper sleeves and finger prints on the new wax but I had none of those issues. Really good pressing

Nice!  I might have to watch for that one.  I really like the three Sun Ra I have on Yard Art/ Strut- Abstract Dreams, Discipline 27-II, and In the Orbit of Ra.  Great sounding pressings!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

Nice!  I might have to watch for that one.  I really like the three Sun Ra I have on Yard Art/ Strut- Abstract Dreams, Discipline 27-II, and In the Orbit of Ra.  Great sounding pressings!
    I’ve got Sleeping Beauty and Singles Volume 2 on my Wantlist from Strut/Art Yard. You would love this boxset. It has the original Philly Jazz commercial pressing and a 1978 alternate pressing which is the version only sold at the shows if I’m not mistaken. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

I’ve got Sleeping Beauty and Singles Volume 2 on my Wantlist from Strut/Art Yard. You would love this boxset. It has the original Philly Jazz commercial pressing and a 1978 alternate pressing which is the version only sold at the shows if I’m not mistaken. 

I'll keep that one in mind, for sure, thanks!

Here's another one of those less-often listened to jazz album I have that I played today:
    Song X album cover

I will confess to the fact that I had actually thought of moving this one on.  But when I played it today, besides some others here, the last cut, "Long Time No See", easily convinced me to keep this one.  Just following the last few quick notes of that last song, my reaction was a totally involuntary brief burst of laughter.  I find that only happens when something musical is startlingly brilliant.  And, oh, that it is!

edited August 2021
    Continuing my diving back into Ornette Coleman, I just listened to all four side of this 1965 concert.  Want to fry some brain cells whilst expanding said brain?  Try this one on some time.  Whew!  I'm done in!
    In Europe Volume 1 Vinyl LP Album album coverIn Europe Volume 2 Vinyl LP Album album cover

(Also released on other labels as The Great London Concert and An Evening With Ornette Coleman.)

Post edited by brianlux on

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Excellent article, thanks M!
    I notice the name Buddy Bolden comes in to play there.  I read something about him recently in the Ornette Coleman biography I'm reading that ties in nicely:

"There are four artists whose music and presence were major turning points in the course of jazz history: Buddy Bolden, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, and Ornette Coleman. Bolden, the legendary first player of jazz may be only a legend: his playing career ended years before the first jazz recordings were made, we we know of him only through his contemporaries' memories and Bunk Johnson's imitations of a Bolden performance, three to four decades after the event. We know, however, that Armstrong's late 1920's masterpieces virtually defined the word jazz for all time, separating this young and fragile music from the American popular musics that surrounded it- music that had the potential to wholly absorb it, in the way ragtime was absorbed. Nearly two decades later, in the decline of the Swing Era that Armstrong had inspired, Parker climaxed a generation's harmonic and structural discoveries with a matching genius, all as elements of a lyricism whose purity and exaltation are almost unrivaled in the art's history. Three years after Parker's death, and slightly over a dozen years since he had led his first recording session, Ornette Coleman emerged on record, with a musical principle- "the pattern for the tune will be forgotten, and the tune itself will be the pattern"- to overturn the very foundations of jazz for its entire previous existence."

From Ornette Coleman, A Harmolodic Life, by author and former editor of Down Beat magazine, John Litweiler.

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    McCoy Tyner is an amazing artist!  Great album and fantastic pressing by Vinyl Me Please!

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    edited August 2021
    McCoy Tyner is an amazing artist!  Great album and fantastic pressing by Vinyl Me Please!

Sterling sound.. so probably means Ryan Smith... which means excellence.  Oh and QRP. 
    edited August 2021
    Strut is doing a fantastic job on all these Sun-Ra reissues. Just a wild ride. No wonder Pete Townshend went into a record store in Chicago asking if they had any Ra and when the guy said “yeah, all of it” Pete just grabbed them … all 250 of them.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-who-pete-townshend-faovurite-album-have-to-hear-before-you-die-sun-ra/%3famp

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    mrussel1 said:

Sterling sound.. so probably means Ryan Smith... which means excellence.  Oh and QRP. 

Yes and Yes!!!!
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    anyone familiar with this title? 51 recording. just bought a newbury comics repress....

amazon.ca has a reissue of out to lunch coming in September for those interested.

grab a copy of whatever version if you can.

mickeyrat said:
    grab a copy of whatever version if you can.
    Thanks!  It looks to be sold out!  Bummer!  I'll have to check Discogs.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Speaking of the great Sonny Rollins...

Great video!  Thanks for posting. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Great video!  Thanks for posting. 

:plus_one: 

someone(not me) may need to organize a listening party.....

email from blue note....

Just delivered.  One more meeting than I can spin..

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Today I went to see one of my friends who I haven’t seen since before Covid. Her apartment is two apartments combined into one giant apartment. Anyway, the reason for posting is because her bedroom (which used to be its own apartment) was where Charlie Mingus lived. Here is a photo of the space. Interestingly, after Mingus died the apartment was used by Jim Henson to build and repair muppets. Cool history. 

This is only 1/2 of the whole apartment. For some reason whenever I come home from there my own apartment looks like a shoebox. And she only lives down the street from me. 
    text of blue note email....

END OF SUMMER SALE:

THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT

20% OFF THE BLUE NOTE STORE*

From now until September 6th, we're giving you 20% off the entire Blue Note Store* and free US shipping on orders over $80.

Pick up the latest vinyl reissues in our acclaimed Tone Poet & Classic Vinyl Series, new albums by Terence Blanchard, Julian Lage, Charles Lloyd & Dr. Lonnie Smith, Blue Note merch & more. We’re also offering 5% off all Wall Art.

*Excludes all Lee Morgan 'Complete Live at the Lighthouse' products

GlowGirl said:
    Today I went to see one of my friends who I haven’t seen since before Covid. Her apartment is two apartments combined into one giant apartment. Anyway, the reason for posting is because her bedroom (which used to be its own apartment) was where Charlie Mingus lived. Here is a photo of the space. Interestingly, after Mingus died the apartment was used by Jim Henson to build and repair muppets. Cool history. 

This is only 1/2 of the whole apartment. For some reason whenever I come home from there my own apartment looks like a shoebox. And she only lives down the street from me. 

Ahh!   Mingus, Henson- fantastic!
    That's only half?  Compared to a few apts I've visited in NYC, that place is huge!

• GlowGirl said:

Rent controlled like Rachel and Monicas?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited September 2021
    GlowGirl said:

Rent controlled like Rachel and Monicas?
    Nope. She owns it. I will just say she is a woman of means. This is just the bedroom. The other half with the living room and kitchen is about the same size. But really cool that it used to belong to Charlie Mingus. 
    Question for Sun Ra fans familiar with the highly rated Atlantis record:  Thoughts on this one?  It's highly rated on a few sites (not that I necessarily pay too much heed to reviewers), and widely enough so as to make me wonder what it is I'm missing.  I have several Sun Ra records and have been a fan for a long time, but Atlantis, though certainly not "bad", is one of my least favorites.  I guess part of it is that the screeching keyboards on the long side B cut are hard on my damaged ears, but I try to listen beyond that to the music itself and I just can't seem to dig out what it is that makes this a highly regarded Sun Ra LP.  Thoughts?