Jan 6 Select Committee

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I wonder if one of the other 8 gop who voted to impeach are willing to step up.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:
    After what happened to Cheyney I don't see that happening.
    We have to get it right,' Dem vows as Jan. 6 probe begins
    By MARY CLARE JALONICK
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — The chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, Bennie Thompson, didn’t realize the severity of the Jan. 6 insurrection until his wife called him.

He was inside the Capitol, sitting in the upper gallery of the House, hoping for what he called a “bird's-eye view of the process” and to be able to tell his grandchildren that he was there when Congress certified Joe Biden’s presidential victory.

People are breaking into the building, London Thompson told him, and it was on television. “I’m watching people climbing over the wall right now,” she said.

“It doesn’t register,” the Mississippi Democrat recalled in an interview with The Associated Press. “I said, ‘You can’t break in. There’s police and barricades and a lot of things out there.’”

But it was not long before the House chamber was under siege. Police rushed Thompson and several dozen other members of Congress to another side of the gallery and told them to duck under their seats as supporters of then-President Donald Trump tried to break down the doors to the chamber below.

“It was a horrible day,” said Thompson, "still almost surreal that it even occurred."

continues...

mickeyrat said:
    She’s already part of the committee 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:
    She’s already part of the committee 
    Yes she is but she spoke out before against the party and got her title taken away.  You think any other one from their party is going to step outside the party lines and risk that?

I say no.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    He seems to care more about doing what is right than getting re-elected. I hope the people in his district can see he is a person of principle and not just listen to people who are railing on him for not blindly following the GOP delusion. 
    He seems to care more about doing what is right than getting re-elected. I hope the people in his district can see he is a person of principle and not just listen to people who are railing on him for not blindly following the GOP delusion. 

as long as he adheres to solid longstanding gop principles he's got a better than even shot imo.

as more dirt comes out about fucksticks admin , he should be ok.

At first Jan. 6 hearing, police to detail violence, injuries
    By MARY CLARE JALONICK
    9 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats are launching their investigation into the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection Tuesday with a focus on the law enforcement officers who were attacked and beaten as the rioters broke into the building — an effort to put a human face on the violence of the day.

The police officers who are scheduled to testify endured some of the worst of the brutality. They were punched, trampled, crushed and sprayed with chemical irritants. They were called racial slurs and threatened with their own weapons as the mob of then-President Donald Trump’s supporters overwhelmed them, broke through windows and doors and interrupted the certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s presidential win.

“We’re going to tell this story from the beginning,” said Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin, a Democrat who sits on the new House panel that is investigating the attack. “The moral center of gravity is these officers who put their lives on the line for us.”

Testifying will be Capitol Police officers Harry Dunn and Aquilino Gonell and Metropolitan Police officers Michael Fanone and Daniel Hodges.

In previous interviews, Dunn has said that attackers yelled racial slurs and fought him in what resembled hand to hand combat as he held them back. Gonell, an Iraq veteran, detailed surgery on his foot and injuries from which he struggled to recover. Fanone has described being dragged down the Capitol steps by rioters who shocked him with a stun gun and beat him. Hodges was beaten and crushed between two doors, and his bloody face and anguished screams were caught on video.

The panel’s first hearing comes as partisan tensions have only worsened since the insurrection, with many Republicans playing down, or outright denying, the violence that occurred and denouncing the Democratic-led investigation as politically motivated. Democrats now want to launch the probe — and win public support for it — by reminding people how brutal it was, and how the law enforcement officers who were sworn to protect the Capitol suffered grave injuries at the hands of the rioters.

“What we really want to try to communicate during the hearing is what it was like to be on the front lines for these brave police officers,” said House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, another member of the panel. “How vastly outnumbered they were, how well militarized the members of the crowd were.”

The hope, Schiff said, is to “inform the public of what really happened that day, particularly in light of the efforts to whitewash that part of our history now.”

continues...

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    these officers are american heroes. i am not pro cop by any stretch, but these men are heroes.

i am so grateful jordan and other sycophants were not allowed to make a mockery of the proceedings.

i wonder how trump and co are going to try to upstage this later today.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    testimony so far has been damning for the gop narrative.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

'This is how I'm going to die': Officers tell Jan. 6 stories
    By MARY CLARE JALONICK
    1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — “This is how I'm going to die, defending this entrance.”

Capitol Police Officer Aquilino Gonell told House investigators Tuesday he could feel himself losing oxygen as he was crushed by rioters – supporters of then-President Donald Trump – as he was defending the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Metropolitan Police Officer Michael Fanone, who rushed to the scene, told the new House committee investigating the attack that he was “grabbed, beaten, tased, all while being called a traitor to my country.” Doctors later told him he'd had a heart attack.

Daniel Hodges, also a D.C. police officer, said he remembers foaming at the mouth as rioters crushed him between two doors and bashed him in the head with his own weapon, injuring his skull.

“I did the only thing I could do, scream for help," Hodges said.

Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn said one group of rioters, perhaps 20 people, screamed the n-word at him as he was trying to keep them from breaching the House chamber.

The four officers gave emotional, occasionally angry, accounts of the attack, in which they were beaten and verbally abused as the mob of Trump’ supporters overwhelmed them, broke through windows and doors and interrupted the certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s presidential win. The new committee is launching its probe with a focus on the law enforcement officers who protected them — an effort by the panel to put a human face on the violence of the day.

Tensions on Capitol Hill have only worsened since the insurrection, with many Republicans playing down, or outright denying, the violence that occurred and denouncing the Democratic-led investigation as politically motivated. Democrats are hoping to win public support for the probe by reminding people how brutal it was, and how the law enforcement officers who were sworn to protect the Capitol suffered serious injuries at the hands of the rioters.

The officers emotionally detailed the horror of their experiences, their injuries and the lasting trauma as they begged the lawmakers to investigate the attack. They wiped away tears and paused to compose themselves as they spoke.

Rebuking Republican lawmakers who have resisted the hearings, Fanone said, “I feel like I went to hell and back to protect them and the people in this room.”

Pounding his fist on the table in front of him, he said, “Too many are now telling me that hell doesn’t exist or that hell actually wasn’t that bad. The indifference shown to my colleagues is disgraceful.”

The panel’s chairman, Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson played video of the attack and told the police officers: “History will remember your name.” He said the rioters “came ready for a fight, and they were close to succeeding.”

Thompson added: “There’s no place for politics and partisanship in this investigation.”

Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, one of two Republicans on the panel, gave opening remarks after Thompson — an effort by Democrats to appear as bipartisan as possible. She expressed “deep gratitude for what you did to save us” and said they would not be forgotten.

“The question for every one of us who serves in Congress, for every elected official across this great nation, indeed, for every American is this: Will we adhere to the rule of law, respect the rulings of our courts, and preserve the peaceful transition of power?” Cheney asked. “Or will we be so blinded by partisanship that we throw away the miracle of America?”

The House Republican leader, Kevin McCarthy, withdrew the participation of other Republicans last week after Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi rejected two of them, saying their “antics” in support of Trump, and his lies that he won the election, weren’t appropriate for the serious investigation. Monday evening, the House voted against a resolution offered by the GOP leader to force his chosen members onto the panel.

McCarthy has stayed close to Trump since the insurrection and has threatened to pull committee assignments from any Republican who participates on the Jan. 6 panel. He has called Cheney and Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger, who is also sitting on the committee, “Pelosi Republicans,” which Cheney has dismissed as “childish.”

Ahead of the hearing on Tuesday, McCarthy again called the process a “sham” and said Pelosi only wants the questions asked “that she wants asked.”

McCarthy told reporters that Pelosi should be investigated for her role in the security failures of the day but ignored questions about Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, who had identical authority over the Capitol Police and Capitol security officials.

Thompson aid the hearing will “set the tone” of the probe, which will examine not only Trump’s role in the insurrection but the groups involved in coordination before the attack, white supremacists among them.

It will also look at the security failures that allowed hundreds of people to breach the Capitol and send lawmakers running for their lives. Some of those who broke in were calling for the deaths of Pelosi and then-Vice President Mike Pence, who was hiding just feet away from the mob.

Outside of a committee preparation session for the hearing on Monday, Kinzinger told reporters that “for too long, we’ve been pretending that Jan. 6 didn’t happen.” He said he never expected to be in this position, “but when you have these conspiracies that continue to thrive, when you have lies and misinformation that continue to thrive, it’s essential for us as members of Congress to get to the answers.”

Shortly after the insurrection, almost every Republican denounced the violent mob — and some criticized Trump himself, who told his supporters to “fight like hell” to overturn his defeat. But many have softened their tone in recent months and weeks.

continues....

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I thought it was a “love fest”.  And I heard today that it’s Pelosi’s fault for not doing more to protect Congress from the love fest.  This is all very confusing.
    mrussel1 said:
    I thought it was a “love fest”.  And I heard today that it’s Pelosi’s fault for not doing more to protect Congress from the love fest.  This is all very confusing.
    a few days ago someone blamed the biden administration for not doing more. uhhhh there was no biden administration until 2 weeks later.

mrussel1 said:
    a few days ago someone blamed the biden administration for not doing more. uhhhh there was no biden administration until 2 weeks later.

that was the douche who was named by mccarthy to be ranking member. or at least said it was his intention during hearings to do so.....

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I watched the hearing -- compelling testimony from all four officers, should be required viewing for everyone.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I watched the hearing -- compelling testimony from all four officers, should be required viewing for everyone.

I heard one of the testimonies this morning. The Capitol Police and the FBI knew there was going to be a crowd coming. Have any of these officers blamed the Capitol Police, FBI or Pelosi for not being better prepared? These Capitol Police officers were thrown under the bus.

The officials knew what was coming and had been monitoring this for weeks yet when the date came, they were still unprepared. I completely understand the need to discuss the people that attacked but they should also be discussing why the leaders weren't preparing for what they knew was coming.

If we are going to have an honest discussion or committee look into this, I would hope this would be looked at because it wasn't fair what these officers were forced to go through.
    JB16057 said:

I heard one of the testimonies this morning. The Capitol Police and the FBI knew there was going to be a crowd coming. Have any of these officers blamed the Capitol Police, FBI or Pelosi for not being better prepared? These Capitol Police officers were thrown under the bus.

The officials knew what was coming and had been monitoring this for weeks yet when the date came, they were still unprepared. I completely understand the need to discuss the people that attacked but they should also be discussing why the leaders weren't preparing for what they knew was coming.

If we are going to have an honest discussion or committee look into this, I would hope this would be looked at because it wasn't fair what these officers were forced to go through.

this is day 1......

JB16057 said:

pelosi is not responsible for the security of the entire capitol.

she is responsible for hiring and equipping the sergeant at arms for the house only. mcconnell is responsible for doing the same for the senate.

no need to investigate that.

• JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:

this is day 1......

I'll give you that but this happened over 6 months ago and I haven't heard any statements from Democrats about this.
    JB16057 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:

this is day 1......

I'll give you that but this happened over 6 months ago and I haven't heard any statements from Democrats about this.

there was some reporting. maybe 3 months ago? ig report or fbi? got overshadowed by fealty to fuckstick.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    as usual, none of this will amount to squat. a few headlines and soundbites on both sides, and then.....next news cycle. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JB16057 said:

I believe all of them asked the committee to get to the bottom of all of the questions everyone has raised! Will see what the findings lead too, but today was a powerful day of damming testimony against the whole MAGA movement..
    HRC was correct they are deplorable’s the whole movement! You can point to a grandma or grandpa or uncle who supports him they are deplorable..
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    JB16057 said:

lol

someone should have stefanik review this website

https://www.uscp.gov/the-department/oversight

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JB16057 said:

lol

this is what I mean. the GOP can say the sky is green and to GOP voters, all of a sudden they see green in the sky. 

I am starting to believe what some have said all along: the US will never recover, politically, from the presidency of Trump. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD