Anthony Bourdain RIP

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    jeffbr said:

The Last Curious Man

The enormous life of Anthony Bourdain, according to those who knew him best.
    Have been planning on reading this all day and it didn’t disappoint. What a guy
    The Beirut episode is so fucking good
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Caught this on Sunday Morning:

https://youtu.be/ZFh9GSu6_5w

Looking forward to the doc coming out - should be streaming on HBO Max soon...

https://youtu.be/ihEEjwRlghQ
    Very much looking forward to the documentary, as least as much you can look forward to something about a guy who you were a big fan of who went out like that.  I did read a review that said it gets very close to blaming it on his girlfriend at the time, which is rough, but we'll see.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Funny how connected we can feel to some folks, without meeting them. 
    Certainly was one of those people for so many.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I really liked the guy and had just started watching his show when he died. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I just think the show(s) he had were phenomenal. He could very well be a pretentious douche, but knew when to reign that in.And a show like that inevitably brings you into some sense of it all being personal. Then you realize it's TV, people are human beings (warts and all), and you never know what people are going through. Same could be said of with Cornell.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I just think the show(s) he had were phenomenal. He could very well be a pretentious douche, but knew when to reign that in.And a show like that inevitably brings you into some sense of it all being personal. Then you realize it's TV, people are human beings (warts and all), and you never know what people are going through. Same could be said of with Cornell.

Agree and Cornell is the other strong example for me, as well.

I was a fan once I read Kitchen Confidential, which I think was around the same time as I became aware of him on TV, from his first Food Network show, A Cook's Tour

The book was brilliant.
    No Reservations was just off the chart good. 
    Not to be too dramatic, but Bourdain is the only celebrity death that ever really got to me.  For one, because he just seemed like such an awesome dude who brought such awesome food and cultures forward.  I also think his death was as ill-timed as it could possibly get.  Just as our country elects dipshit and becomes so overly nationalistic, we lose a guy that has had as big of an impact as anyone in this country in recent memory of bringing different cultures to us. 

Kitchen Confidential rules and is a book that really sparked my interest in cooking.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Not to be too dramatic, but Bourdain is the only celebrity death that ever really got to me.  For one, because he just seemed like such an awesome dude who brought such awesome food and cultures forward.  I also think his death was as ill-timed as it could possibly get.  Just as our country elects dipshit and becomes so overly nationalistic, we lose a guy that has had as big of an impact as anyone in this country in recent memory of bringing different cultures to us. 

Kitchen Confidential rules and is a book that really sparked my interest in cooking.
    Because you never wanted to eat at a restaurant again immediately after reading it?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Because you never wanted to eat at a restaurant again immediately after reading it?

For sure not fish on a Monday!

I get that. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    dankind said:

Or Hollandaise sauce at brunch :s

GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:

Save for well done is something I say anytime I see someone eating a well done steak.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Looking forward to the documentary.  As other have said, his passing really hurt and it still does.  Probably the only celebrity death that has stung in any way (Cornell's did too, but not as much).
    Not to turn this into a thing, but I found Robin Williams' passing as a shock as well.
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:

Save for well done is something I say anytime I see someone eating a well done steak.
    Totally!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Not to turn this into a thing, but I found Robin Williams' passing as a shock as well.
    Two of my favorite Georges (Carlin and Harrison) did it for me. Tears and then some.

Anyway, hope to catch this film. Bourdain was one of a kind. One of those whatthefuck  losses.  
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    hedonist said:
    Two of my favorite Georges (Carlin and Harrison) did it for me. Tears and then some.

Anyway, hope to catch this film. Bourdain was one of a kind. One of those whatthefuck  losses.  
    Those were really sad. I think that John Lennon and David Bowie caught me off guard. It's all sad.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Does that fake voice have inflections and the like? If so, I’d say that’s pretty presumptious. 
    I read about that today and apparently it’s one of the quotes in the trailer. A lot of people smarter than me seem to have a problem with it, but I don’t think I do. I mean it’s a direct quote from an email. If it weren’t something he actually said or wrote and was pieced together, then I’d have a problem, but not sure I have an issue here

I dunno if it is an issue, but being the world, bring in re: we've lent witness that he definitely said these things in his voice. I mean I don't really have a problem with it but it seems opportunistic based on the situation all on tech and AI. But, whatever, I'll take it, cheers to this guy that made everything a good time. I can't speak for others but anytime I travelled anywhere I checked to see if he had an episode of No Res or whatever based on where I was going.
    I dunno if it is an issue, but being the world, bring in re: we've lent witness that he definitely said these things in his voice. I mean I don't really have a problem with it but it seems opportunistic based on the situation all on tech and AI. But, whatever, I'll take it, cheers to this guy that made everything a good time. I can't speak for others but anytime I travelled anywhere I checked to see if he had an episode of No Res or whatever based on where I was going.
    This.  I remember touring Charleston pretty much just like he did in his second show there.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited July 2021

I feel the same.
    Whenever I've visited a new city, I've always checked to see if Bourdain had been there, and where he went to eat.
    I got talking to the owner of a restaurant in a suburb of Lisbon, and he said after the Bordain episode, he started getting tourists from all over the world.

I even drank Bhang Lassi (it's like a marijuana shake) in India at the same shop he went to. Same guy was still serving them.

Post edited by eddiec on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    Trying to catch Roadrunner this weekend as it is playing right down the road.  Might wait for the opening weekend crowds to die down.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgKJPDo0tU

This is a great read, though has a lot of details from the doc if you don't want any spoilers...

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Anthony-Bourdain-Roadrunner-documentary-Focus-Film-16332581.php

Anyone see it yet?  Come on streaming services!!!
    Being a Magary fanboy I'm very, very tempted to read this, but will try my hardest to steer clear of any spoilers until this gets to HBO Max. Which should've already happened god damnit.
    Being a Magary fanboy I'm very, very tempted to read this, but will try my hardest to steer clear of any spoilers until this gets to HBO Max. Which should've already happened god damnit.
    Hear you.  I'll just say he really really liked it.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    I am having second thoughts about going to see it.  I dont want to leave depressed.  I made a pact with myself sometime ago whereby I will not watch any movies that make me sad.  I will see eventually for sure.